Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Thursday continued...

weights and 3 miles recovery ( 8.30ish pace) - couldn't let the shortened run earlier go !

9.4 for the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭gosh123

Duanington wrote: »

Thursday continued...

weights and 3 miles recovery ( 8.30ish pace) - couldn't let the shortened run earlier go !

9.4 for the day :)

Know the feeling I was the same yesterday after my early run but decided against another run dam tapering

gosh123 wrote: »
    Know the feeling I was the same yesterday after my early run but decided against another run dam tapering

It's safer to taper :D

Friday

AM - 4.1 easy miles into work, despite the heavy rain that was forecast, it was a nice morning for this one. The grass on the coast is perfect running on at the moment too.

PM - run home from work with some extra miles at the end, ran these around the outside of St Anne's ( up into Raheny).
    Another nice run, I was tempted to go on but thought better of it
    7.5 miles easy

Stretching after

11.6 for the day

Saturday

Back to session time and I had to get up and out early to squeeze this in.
    The weather was just about perfect for it though - a lovely, calm , drizzly morning out, after a longer than usual warmup ( 3 miles with some strides), I got started on this in the rose garden in St Anne's.

Planned session 16x400 metres @ 10k pace ( around the 1.26 mark by my admittedly poor maths) - 75 seconds easy recovery

This looks like a pretty meaty session on paper and it was equally meaty in reality. The pace is not as quick as other 400m sessions I've done but the 75 second recovery and volume certainly tested leg strength from about the 10th rep onwards.
    I felt strong throughout though and my form possibly even improved as I went through the reps.

reps
    1.30 :o

Lost track of the number of reps towards the end so I just ran an insurance one in case! ( 17 in total)

1.74 miles easy to warm down

11.11 in total for the session
    Core\stretching in the PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Friday

AM - 4.1 easy miles into work, despite the heavy rain that was forecast, it was a nice morning for this one. The grass on the coast is perfect running on at the moment too.

PM - run home from work with some extra miles at the end, ran these around the outside of St Anne's ( up into Raheny).
    Another nice run, I was tempted to go on but thought better of it
    7.5 miles easy

Stretching after

11.6 for the day

Saturday

Back to session time and I had to get up and out early to squeeze this in.
    The weather was just about perfect for it though - a lovely, calm , drizzly morning out, after a longer than usual warmup ( 3 miles with some strides), I got started on this in the rose garden in St Anne's.

Planned session 16x400 metres @ 10k pace ( around the 1.26 mark by my admittedly poor maths) - 75 seconds easy recovery

This looks like a pretty meaty session on paper and it was equally meaty in reality. The pace is not as quick as other 400m sessions I've done but the 75 second recovery and volume certainly tested leg strength from about the 10th rep onwards.
    I felt strong throughout though and my form possibly even improved as I went through the reps.

reps
    1.30 :o

Lost track of the number of reps towards the end so I just ran an insurance one in case! ( 17 in total)

1.74 miles easy to warm down

11.11 in total for the session
    Core\stretching in the PM

That looks like a mighty session.

Fcuking envious!

And to think just over a year ago you couldn't run fast enough to keep yourself warm :)

TbL

• Advertisement

17 400s that's some session surprised u didn't get dizzy to lucky it wasn't on a track. Great running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That is some session - and the "insurance rep" was one of the fastest - no messing about there.

And to think just over a year ago you couldn't run fast enough to keep yourself warm :)

TbL

Ha ha - it was a cold spring last year C in fairness

17 400s that's some session surprised u didn't get dizzy to lucky it wasn't on a track. Great running

It was on the finest track around G - the rose garden in St Anne's :D

Murph_D wrote: »
    That is some session - and the "insurance rep" was one of the fastest - no messing about there.

Thanks D - there was a bit of relief at knowing it was over, amazing the effect that can have on you!

• Advertisement

Sunday

Slept like a log last night after a busy day yesterday...after a tough session...after an early start - busy enough day today with stuff to do with\for the kids but I did sneak in a light stretching\weights session after initiating a major cleanup in the house....then sneaking off to leave everyone to it ( gotta get creative with your time peeps :D).

Got out this evening to finish off the week with some easy miles, despite the wind and the rain all day, I seemed to time this one to perfection, late evening sunshine,light wind and what seemed like the roads to myself.

A couple of loops around St Anne's ( inside and then outside) took this to a grand total of 8.4 miles @ 7.50 min\miles, just over 70 for the week.

The 7th of April....2016 :eek: - feels weird and a little scary that we are so far into the year already, I'm still getting used to writing "2016"

Monday

Brought the gear with me to work as usual and ran home afterwards as usual. Legs felt good, had a little more time than I planned on having so I did 6 instead of 4....I'm mad like that :cool:

Spot of stretching and stability \core stuff after

6 miles @ 8ish min\miles ( no watch)

Tuesday

Long run night tonight, brought the gear into work, loaded up the backpack and got going at home time ( after waiting an age to get a signal on my watch) . Dropped the bag off at home and carried on my merry way into St Anne's and beyond.
    Possibly overcooked the pace a little on a few miles because I noticed my calf locking up on a downhill stretch coming out of Raheny, not enough to stop me running but enough to make the last couple of miles a little uncomfortable.

Stretching, rolling and pressups after

Longest run in quite a few months :o

14 miles @ 7.50 min\miles

Wednesday

AM - took it very handy on this one, usual run into work along the coast and into town, the wind was nasty for the first few miles but I got a nice bit of shelter once I got into East Wall. Calf still a little delicate

PM - the reverse of the above! wind blew me home for the last couple of miles basically, I was down for 5+7 today but left it at 4+4 ( or 4.1+4.1 to be precise) to allow for the cranky calf and sessions coming up.

Stretching throughout the day

Thursday

Plan for today was for 8x800s@ 5.55 pace with 2 min recoveries

Got an early morning session of core\weights work in and nipped out to St Anne's at lunchtime for this one.
    Ran a little longer than usual for my warmup and through in some strides to wake the legs up a bit and it seemed to do the trick.

In my head I (wrongly) targeted 2.52 or so for each rep....too fast, it should have been closer to 3.00 - which I figured out after the event of course :o

Anyway, the session went pretty well, worked hard, stayed in control and the wind didn't effect things too much, possibly making me fight a bit too hard once or twice.

Splits
    2.40 ( no comment)

Happy enough with the consistency , even if I did get the target wrong !

10.6 miles in total for the lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'm way behind here D.
    Great results in the 5k & 10m recently.
    Keep up the good work!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'm way behind here D.
    Great results in the 5k & 10m recently.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks P - hope taper madness hasn't gotten the better of you yet!

Friday

AM - 5 easy miles on the way into work, took the long way to the office ( which meant running away from my usual route for .5 mile, turning around and starting off again!) Took the pace very handy for this and got a good bit in on the grass

PM - 7 miles easy, run home from work, easy pace again...headed to St Anne's to get the extra bit done. Felt a little tired on this, a crappy nights sleep the previous night left me jaded all day and I felt it on this run.

12 miles for the day

Saturday

Planned session:

2 miles easy, 20 mins@6.25 + 10 minutes @ 6.05 ( 4 min rec), 2 miles easy

I was on taxi duty the night before which meant a very late night - rather than get up at my usual early running, I put this off until the afternoon.
    The wind was pretty woeful when I did get out so I took to the shelter of St Anne's to get my warmup done ( just over 2 miles) before starting on the faster stuff.

The route was tasty enough for this - one long drag, plenty of bumps, a little downhill and a nasty headwind for most of the 6.05 section - out onto the coast and up the Kilbarrack road, then back into Raheny and St Anne's.

20 minute 6.25 pace section worked out as:
    Mile 1 - 6.24
    Mile 2 - 6.19
    Mile 3 - 6.18
    last bit 6.10 pace

4 minutes easy then,

10 minutes @ 6.05 pace

Mile 1 - 6.00
    .69 mile@ 5.48 pace

Worked a bit too hard over the 2nd half of the 6.05 section - fighting against the wind a bit too hard and losing focus a little which had me running too hard.

Finished off with a couple of easy miles to bring the total to 10

Stretching and rolling later ( and sleeping)

Sunday

I was glued to the various trackers and boards updates early this morning when an unexpected running window presented itself so I took off to finish the week off.

Felt a little tired in my legs for maybe 2\3 miles but from then on I enjoyed the lot.

8 miles around St Anne's @ 8 min\miles

Weights, core and stretching afterwards . Another good week down, just shy of 70 miles with some tough but controlled sessions

Well done to everyone who raced today, at home and abroad - some really impressive times - its great to see good training and hard work bearing some fruits and there's so much more to come.
    Over to the Boston crowd now :D

Catchup time !

Monday

Run home in the lashing rain - very little wind though which made for a lovely run to he honest. Legs felt good

5 miles easy ( no watch)

Tuesday

LSR night - brought the gear to work as always and headed off from there with the backpack - I really wanted to focus on keeping the effort down on this run as I think I've tended to overcook the pace a tad of late.
    Picked a nice rolling \ mixed route around St Anne's, Raheny, Clontarf.

Felt great for the lot and finished off with some pressups\core\stretching

14 miles @ 7.58 min\miles

Wednesday

AM - with the plan for the day giving me a 5+7 double and a busy evening schedule, I got out of bed that bit earlier and took on the 7 miles first to get them done before\on the way to work. Can't actually remember a lot about he early one except for the fact that St Anne's and the coast looked splendid at that early hour!
    7 miles @ easy

PM - Late getting out of work which made me even more thankful for having the longer run done already, 5 easy miles on the way home...felt a little tired too actually

12 for the day

Thursday

(AM - weights, core, stability session)

Plan for today was 2 miles easy, 6x600m w\2 min easy recoveries, 2 miles easy.
    (Target for the 600s was between 1.58-2.04)

Got a longer warmup in with a few strides to get the blood flowing before getting stuck into the reps.
    I really wanted to keep control on the 600s, staying strong throughout with some degree of consistency, the last 2 were harder than the rest but I'm very happy with how it went - always felt in control while always working hard.

Reps

Total for the day ( inc warmdown) 8.63 miles

Friday

AM - plan was for 5+7 again but I was awake earlier than normal so did 6 before\on the way to work.

PM - legs felt a little heavy towards the end of this one, had a little more time than expected and toyed with going around St Anne's for a few more but copped on! 6 miles easy

12 for the day

Saturday

Planned session for today was:

4x1mile @ 6.05 - 6.10 pace, 3 min recovery

Up early again to squeeze this in with a busy day ahead and I made my way down to St Anne's on my warmup - unsure of where to run the reps but decided on the way to stay in the park, there's no harm in getting in the more natural drags and drops of a park for this stuff in my mind.*( although I do stick to flatter \straightforward terrain for shorter than 1 mile reps). Got a few strides done during the warmup again

The wind was tough enough in places for these, although I resisted the urge to work harder into the wind - again, trying to stay controlled and within the pace range.

I used the new parkrun route for some of these, love the downhill stretch and don't love the new improved hill ! I think it may actually be faster overall though.

Reps

The numbers look a bit all over the place but I think it was spot on effort wise ( the wind and various drags\drops distort things a little either way)

10.2 for the lot including warmup\warmdown

Core\pressups\stretching later

Sunday

(AM - weights session)

Headed to the Phoeno for the first time in forever for this evenings run, what a spot...anyone living near that park is a lucky ducky! Parked up and set off around the trails on the outside of the park, keeping the effort down.
    Loved this run, the drags were a little rough on the tired quads at times but the scenery keeps the senses awake and I could have gone on and on .

8.25 for the lot

Another good week down

Catchup time !

Monday

Run home in the lashing rain - very little wind though which made for a lovely run to he honest. Legs felt good

5 miles easy ( no watch)

Tuesday

LSR night - brought the gear to work as always and headed off from there with the backpack - I really wanted to focus on keeping the effort down on this run as I think I've tended to overcook the pace a tad of late.
    Picked a nice rolling \ mixed route around St Anne's, Raheny, Clontarf.

Felt great for the lot and finished off with some pressups\core\stretching

14 miles @ 7.58 min\miles

Wednesday

AM - with the plan for the day giving me a 5+7 double and a busy evening schedule, I got out of bed that bit earlier and took on the 7 miles first to get them done before\on the way to work. Can't actually remember a lot about he early one except for the fact that St Anne's and the coast looked splendid at that early hour!
    7 miles @ easy

PM - Late getting out of work which made me even more thankful for having the longer run done already, 5 easy miles on the way home...felt a little tired too actually

12 for the day

Thursday

(AM - weights, core, stability session)

Plan for today was 2 miles easy, 6x600m w\2 min easy recoveries, 2 miles easy.
    (Target for the 600s was between 1.58-2.04)

Got a longer warmup in with a few strides to get the blood flowing before getting stuck into the reps.
    I really wanted to keep control on the 600s, staying strong throughout with some degree of consistency, the last 2 were harder than the rest but I'm very happy with how it went - always felt in control while always working hard.

Reps

Total for the day ( inc warmdown) 8.63 miles

Friday

AM - plan was for 5+7 again but I was awake earlier than normal so did 6 before\on the way to work.

PM - legs felt a little heavy towards the end of this one, had a little more time than expected and toyed with going around St Anne's for a few more but copped on! 6 miles easy

12 for the day

Saturday

Planned session for today was:

4x1mile @ 6.05 - 6.10 pace, 3 min recovery

Up early again to squeeze this in with a busy day ahead and I made my way down to St Anne's on my warmup - unsure of where to run the reps but decided on the way to stay in the park, there's no harm in getting in the more natural drags and drops of a park for this stuff in my mind.*( although I do stick to flatter \straightforward terrain for shorter than 1 mile reps). Got a few strides done during the warmup again

The wind was tough enough in places for these, although I resisted the urge to work harder into the wind - again, trying to stay controlled and within the pace range.

I used the new parkrun route for some of these, love the downhill stretch and don't love the new improved hill ! I think it may actually be faster overall though.

Reps

The numbers look a bit all over the place but I think it was spot on effort wise ( the wind and various drags\drops distort things a little either way)

10.2 for the lot including warmup\warmdown

Core\pressups\stretching later

Sunday

(AM - weights session)

Headed to the Phoeno for the first time in forever for this evenings run, what a spot...anyone living near that park is a lucky ducky! Parked up and set off around the trails on the outside of the park, keeping the effort down.
    Loved this run, the drags were a little rough on the tired quads at times but the scenery keeps the senses awake and I could have gone on and on .

8.25 for the lot

Another good week down

Great weeks running can see u kicking on again in may

Great weeks running can see u kicking on again in may

Thanks - fingers crossed Gosh!

Thanks - fingers crossed Gosh!

2 runs a day ur putting ideas in my head ha ha

Jesus I'm falling way behind here ( with the logging, not the training :cool:)

Monday

Runmute from work - I'm usually down for 4 easy miles on Mondays but I've had a bit more time than expected for the last few so stretched this out to 6 easy miles, all nice and easy of course.

Pressups\stretching after

6 miles @ 8ish min\miles

Tuesday

Long run night and the plan was for 14 miles easy. Kept the pace right down again and picked my usual rolling route around St Anne's\Raheny\Clontarf. I really enjoyed this but could definitely feel myself tiring towards the end for some reason.
    core\stretching after

14.2 miles@ 7.58

Wednesday

AM - up early for this one , double day today with a planned 5+7 but with the early start I went for 6 in the morning - up around St Anne's before heading into work.
    6 easy miles

PM - late out of work for this ! 6 easy miles on the way home, perfect evening for running
    6 easy miles, pressups after

12 for the day

Thursday

Session for today was 7x1k @ 5.55 pace ( 2 min recovery)

Decided to run these around the GAA pitches in St Anne's to a) get some softer surface for the legs and b) keep the pace honest with some of the grass still a little long\soft.

Aftera good warmup with some surges I got stuck into the reps. I ran the first couple too fast but got more control into each one as the session went on. The last was the slowest but by far the most controlled. Target was in and around 3.40 for each rep

Bit of a mixed bag of a session really.

Total inc warmup\down: 10.2 miles

Weights and core later in the day

Friday

AM - 5 easy miles on the way to work, don't remember much about it

PM - a tired 7 easy miles after work, runmute + some extras around St Anne's

12 for the day

Saturday

Session for today was 2 miles easy, 6 miles @6.20-6.25, 2 miles easy

I knew this would be tougher than it looked and I wasn't wrong, I ran a fair bit in ST Anne's park and struggled a little over the first mile or so of the tempo section. Got into a great stride for the middle section then felt tired again towards the end, had to dig in but dig in I did!

10 miles for the lot, weights and stretching later

Sunday

****e sleep last night and I was awake earlier than I had hoped, after failing to get back to sleep at all I bit the bullet and headed out for a run.
    Lovely morning for it with lots of runners out and about too which is always nice.

8.5 miles @ 7.56

Core work later.

Another good week down!

• Advertisement

Monday

6 miles easy after work - can't remember a thing about this, except that I had gotten out a little earlier than planned so went for 6 easy instead of 4 easy.

No watch, 8ish min\mile pace

Pressups and stretching after

Tuesday

Long run night. Plan was for 14 miles easy again this week. Once again I kept the pace down and enjoyed every step of this one - which is great because I have always struggled just a little on long runs, mentally as much as anything

Usual route with some of the trails and grassy routes around St Anne's thrown in for good measure

14.5 @7.54 pace

Weights, rolling and stretching after

Wednesday

AM - up and out early for this one, got a couple of miles in ( by running away from my work route!) before heading into work to finish the run off.

6 miles easy

PM - Late out of work after a mental day and I was a little tired starting off but really enjoyed this one once I got going.

6 miles easy

Thursday

Session day today

Plan was for 5x800 with 2 minute recovery - target for 800s was 2.40

After a good warmup with a few strides, I got going on this one in the rose garden. The weather was shocking though at times with wind , rain and hail contriving to make this a miserable session.

For some reason this looked fairly handy on paper, it was really only after a chat with Yaboya later in the day that I realised how stupid an assumption that was to make. 800 metres in 2.40 is not easy!

Anyway, I paced the first one wrong, got into it much better after that with just one of the reps being too quick. It was tough going at times with the weather but to be fair, the wind was at my back at times too given the nature of the rose garden so it probably evens out.

Good session, tough but felt strong

800s

8.25 for the lot
    Weights and core work later in the day

Friday

AM - 6 miles easy before\on the way to work again. Bumped into RedRunner on his way to work - as I ran away from work...before turning around and heading to work :pac:

PM - 6 easy after work, zero recollection of this one !

Pressups afterwards

Saturday

Session for today was

3x8 minutes @ 6.05-6.10 pace - 3 minutes recovery

Up very early for this and straight out the door down to St Anne's - it was f f f f freezing and I regretted wearing the short sleeve top straight away.

Got the warmup done and dusted and took off on the first section, using a loop that takes in quite a bit of trail through the trees in the park. Felt very huffy and puffy for the first few minutes but found a good stride then and kept things at what felt about right. The first split looks a little slow but it didn't feel slower than the rest
    After the 3 minutes easy recovery, I got going on the 2nd one, using a loop with more tarmac and less tree cover this time. Tough work into the breeze at times but nothing that wasn't manageable.
    Last 8 minute section was possibly the most straightforward as I was well in the zone by the time it came around. The breeze made it tricky again at times but I always felt like I was working hard while in control of things.

1st 8 minute section - 6.20 pace
    2nd 8 minute section - 6.04 pace
    3rd 8 minute section - 6.06 pace

Finished off with a good warmdown to bring the total to 10 miles for the lot

Weights and core work later

Sunday

Out early again this morning, although I didn't quite make it out early enough to run up and see if there was anyone running from Raheny's clubhouse, stayed in around Raheny \Clontarf before heading into the park - bumped into Dick Hooper here and ran with him for a bit , pretending not to be out of breath ( let him do the talking ;) )

8.25 easy miles for the lot

Good week down, an easier week ahead now leading into a 5k race next weekend and the 5 miler in Terenure the week after

Pressups\stretching after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Le Chèile?

tang1 wrote: »
    Le Chèile?

Thats the one Tang!

Thats the one Tang!

Have never done it, but suppose to be flat & fast.

Have never done it, but suppose to be flat & fast.

The profile looks good alright and hopefully there's a good turnout so someone can drag me around in a good time, what's next for you?

The profile looks good alright and hopefully there's a good turnout so someone can drag me around in a good time, what's next for you?

I had hoped to do Le Chèile to but have a surprise birthday party organised for herself for the same day so had to knock it on the head(she's reached a significant age!!). I might give a 5k a go in Naas Wednesday evening but it's all down to how work goes for me.

I had hoped to do Le Chèile to but have a surprise birthday party organised for herself for the same day so had to knock it on the head(she's reached a significant age!!). I might give a 5k a go in Naas Wednesday evening but it's all down to how work goes for me.

You're in good shape anyway B, looking forward to seeing how you kick on this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I had hoped to do Le Chèile to but have a surprise birthday party organised for herself for the same day so had to knock it on the head(she's reached a significant age!!)...

Hope she doesn't read boards! :D

neilc wrote: »
    Hope she doesn't read boards! :D

Nope, confident enough she doesn't Neil!! I hope!!

• Advertisement

Hope this morning went well.

Advertisement