Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

thats a great session - one more for the list :)

Do you not set up the watch for these sessions?
    Have you the headphones in during them? - I find I can listen to stuff doing easy runs, but anything more than tempo I ditch the headphones as it needs my focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Have you the headphones in during them? - I find I can listen to stuff doing easy runs, but anything more than tempo I ditch the headphones as it needs my focus.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Thanks A - the watch is pretty basic to be honest, can't set it up for sessions I'm afraid :o
    I tried to avoid gawking at the watch every few minutes during the session and just see if I could judge the effort right ( but still look at the split at each beep), I'd normally be glued to the watch during sessions but I knew with the bit of wind and some of the route being uphill that I'd end up overcooking things if I did that

Headphones are the devil, no? Although sometimes during long, easy runs I wouldn't mind having the distraction.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    :eek:

Zactly

Monday

Usual run home on a Monday, took it nice and easy - the legs were a little stiff from Sunday's session so I probably ran at the lowest heart rate I've ever run at! Pretty sure it stayed beating though

4.1 miles @ 8.40ish ( guess, no watch)

Tuesday

Busy day at the office today, lots of visitors over from the US which always messes my days up for some reason. Ate well and watched the water intake all day today and still managed to get out on time which was a bonus.

8-10 steady miles on the cards tonight so I initially planned to run an easy mile before getting going but the legs felt good after a quarter of a mile or so so I kicked on.
    Bumped into one of the lads from Raheny and ran with him for a bit, might have stretched the pace a little from here on in but once I ditched the backpack, I was enjoying things so stayed with it.

Finished up with an easy mile to wind things down before some stretching and pressups.

Bit of a slight niggle in the knee, a slightly runny nose, saw a kid fall on the grass and another running down a hill at a blatantly reckless speed - with no regard for tapering Berlin bound marathon runners.

10 miles@ 7.13 min\miles

Taper time is here

• Advertisement

Well, less than a week till Berlin and I've made it through the first week of taper unscathed. In truth, I haven't really gotten the same level of fatique and crazy thoughts that I had last time around - its just been a crazy busy week so I haven't had time for that craic.

I've got a minor niggle on the ball of my foot that is easing up day by day, the niggle that I had last week on my knee turned out to be a bruise - I had walloped my knee off the table in work and forgotten about it :o - so that's all sorted.

Legs feel ok, not great but ok and getting livelier each day, energy levels are good despite the crazy week in work...I'm rapidly running out of excuses for next week.

Wednesday

AM - Up early for a flight to London so got this in at early o'clock - can't remember much about it to be honest
    4 miles easy

PM - Out after work in the sweltering heat in London, was looking forward this (stupidly) but the 29 degree heat in Regents Park was ovewhelming at times. Looped around London zoo a few times though which broke things up...may or may not have gotten a bit lost on the way back to the hotel

5.2 miles @7.50

Thursday

Skipped the morning run ( still in London) to give the niggle on my foot a breather and hope it cleared up a bit.

PM - got out in Saggart\Rathcoole while the youngest did her kickboxing, really enjoyed this and I was glad I skipped the morning run, the niggle felt a little less annoying.

6 miles @ 7.52

Friday

Tempted to run twice today with the bus strike but that would have meant running a double on a planned single day - common sense prevailed, I got the dart to work and ran home.

6 easy miles

pressups\core after

Saturday

Up early as usual to get Saturday's run done before breakfast. Donned the planned race gear today and all went well. Can't say I loved this run, felt a little tired in the legs while the breathing felt great, glad to finish up at 14 miles

14 @7.37 min\miles

Weights and stretching later

Sunday

Core\pressups and then 7 easy miles

Nice run, niggle almost gone, felt a little sleepy to start with and came alive towards the end.

Lovely evening for it

Just over 56 miles for the week and its time to freshen up this week in advance of Berlin. Sleep should be much better ( for any first time marathon runners, I'll be reading myself to sleep most nights...works a treat).

Nearly there :)

Monday

Felt a bit iffy in the gut area from early afternoon and was initially putting it down to something I ate but as the day wore on I started to feel worse and could easily have dozed off at my desk ( I may or may not have dozed off on a sofa near my desk at one stage). Thought about canning my run home but said I'd suck it up and get it done, 4 miles wouldn't hurt.

It was the longest 4 miles I've ever run and by the time I got home, I was wiped out, shivering and had zero appetite ( which is unlike me)...hit the hay at 8.30ish and slept solid for 11 hours or so :eek:

4.1 miles @ sloooow

Tuesday

A day off work today meant that I could lounge around feeling sorry for myself all morning, while the stomach felt a lot better, I felt almost hungover and knew the planned mini MP session today wouldn't be the most sensible thing to do.

In fact, the sensible thing to do would be to stay at home and scrap any thoughts of a run ( as confirmed by Gosh123 of all people!) but to be honest, I was pi$$ing myself off with thoughts of doom and gloom by the time early afternoon came around so thankfully FBOT was around for a few very easy miles in St Anne's to help shake off whatever it was that had gotten hold of me

5.2 miles @ 8.30 or so

Felt a lot better after the run and I'm now wondering if I have completely lost my marbles, taper madness coupled with whatever little bug I had is a nasty combo.

I'll run a reduced version of the planned MP session tomorrow and then a couple of short\easy runs before Sunday. I'm pretty sure I'll be ready to rock on Sunday morning, the weather looks like it could be warm enough so I may have to adjust the target accordingly....I know I'm in much better shape than this time last year and I know I've trained harder than I did last year but so much depends on the day itself and I'll just have to wait and see how that plays out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Crazy the amount of Phantom **** that pops up in the last week. I'm sure you'll be fine. Weather will be ok too I think.

May warm up towards the end of my race but you'll be finished by then. Positive thoughts!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Crazy the amount of Phantom **** that pops up in the last week. I'm sure you'll be fine. Weather will be ok too I think.

May warm up towards the end of my race but you'll be finished by then. Positive thoughts!

Crazy is right A, positive thoughts all the way it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Best of luck Sunday. Will be tracking. Some nice sessions there of late, might rob 1 or 2 of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck for Sunday D you've put in such solid training you'll do great. Enjoy the experience :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

You're one of the most consistent and hard working runners on here DD, you certainly deserve to get the result you want on Sunday, the very very best of luck. Remember all those sessions, long runs and the many many miles you've put in in recent months if things get tough on the day. Really looking forward to your report :)

Best wishes - really looking fwd to seeing how well you do. Solid shape so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

All the best Sunday have a great race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Firedance wrote: »
    You're one of the most consistent and hard working runners on here DD, you certainly deserve to get the result you want on Sunday, the very very best of luck. Remember all those sessions, long runs and the many many miles you've put in in recent months if things get tough on the day. Really looking forward to your report :)

What she said! Hoping you have a good day. Enjoy either way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

It's been summed up pretty well above. Hope the weather plays ball and you get what you deserve. Enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

It's been great following your training for this one D. Hopefully everything goes to plan on the day and the weather etc plays ball and you get what you deserve.
    Have a blast!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Have a brill weekend DD and a great race. You have earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Best of luck Sunday. Your training has been stellar these past few months. I hope you are rewarded in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭gosh123

Best of luck hope u get the result u deserve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

The very best of luck for this one. Really hope it goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Enjoy Berlin, DD, it's nearly as flat as the sea front!! Very best of luck, your training has been fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looking forward to reading how you get on - such a brilliant race to be doing, especially when you're in such obviously good shape. Say hello to Karl Marx Straße for me. ;) All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Super run D well done all the hard work paid off enjoy the pints :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant result :) massive congrats on your entry to the sub 3 club! Enjoy the celebrations, can't wait to read the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant result :) massive congrats on your entry to the sub 3 club! Enjoy the celebrations, can't wait to read the report.

+1. Delighted for you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fantastic result and no less than your training deserves. Delighted for ya D! And the best bit is that there is SO much more to come from you. Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Really well deserved after fist class training bloc, well done.

DD - get your run uploaded on Strava will ya. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, 2.58 for me , a little short of my initial target. Felt I had too much to lose on this one with the threat of the heat increasing in the 2nd half of the race so adjusted targets for potential conditions.
    As it happened , near perfect conditions prevailed for most of the race and I might well have been ok with a more aggressive approach - I wasn't willing to gamble on it though (this time )

I'll do a report up during the week, still enjoying Berlin and it's many, many steps for now !

Advertisement