Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Tempo night tonight and the plan read as follows

1.5 - 2 mile warmup then

3x2 miles @ 10k race pace with 5 minute jogging recovery between sets

1-2 miles easy to finish

Looking at this during the week on paper, the session looked very do-able and the 5 minute recovery actually had me wondering if it would make it too easy...or at least perhaps easier than the other tempo style sessions I've done so far this year. I was wrong

The warmup was very enjoyable, down the coast towards east point into what seemed like a stiff enough breeze but nothing to write home about. I got the watch ready and set off back towards Howth for the first set.

No problem keeping the pace and really enjoyed getting into that steady rhythm that goes with these sessions.

Splits: 6:29, 6:31

Set off on the 5 minute jogging recovery feeling well warmed up, I wouldn't say my legs were tired but they certainly had felt the effort - I was conscious that I had to more sets to go and had held back from pushing the last .25 mile too hard ( in case I regretted it later)

Off for the second set...

The second set brought me further out the coast towards Sutton\Howth and I could feel the wind picking up slightly at my back...helping me keep the pace up no doubt but I was starting to dread the last set when I would have to turn into the wind. Tired a bit over the 2nd mile on this set and had to focus mentally to keep my form right and stop my breathing getting shallow.

Splits: 6:31, 6:31

I turned back into the wind for the 5 minute jogging recovery because I have this stupid thing with any kind of breeze that can really put me off pace work - I knew that if I turned into the wind at the start of the last set then I'd have an excuse to slow down, wuss out that I just didn't want - at least jogging into it would get me used to the breeze in my face.

Set off for the last set and felt the effort almost straight away, I wasn;t too worried over the first .5 mile or so but checked the pace at that stage and had to up the work rate to correct the pace. The wind was certainly a factor but I didn't want to use it as an excuse. Last mile was a real tough one, I was hanging on for the last .5 mile , breathing started to suffer again and I had to focus hard to maintain the rhythm.

Splits: 6:45, 6:33

1.2 miles easy to finish

Happy with this session, not so much the mile splits but more so the consistency. On paper, the 5 minute recovery looked too much to me for this session but they flew by and at the end of the session I was shattered for a couple of minutes

Well worth it though, I'll revisit it again in a month or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Excellent session D, nice even splits, I find those types of sessions to be ball breakers. You're going well.

Bit disappointed though, that you didn't get in you 20 mins of pull ups :)

Excellent session D, nice even splits, I find those types of sessions to be ball breakers. You're going well.

Bit disappointed though, that you didn't get in you 20 mins of pull ups :)

Ha ha ha - thanks TBL - out of cigars at the moment so the pullups are just not the same without them :)

Recovery run tonight. 3 miles over to east wall and 3 miles back ...mostly on the grass. Legs, body and mind were all very tired tonight - hectic day at work and I was a little late getting out tonight so I had no real interest in going running.

Felt much lighter on my feet after the run compared to before it...kept the pace right down and enjoyed the cool, crisp evening.

6 miles@ 8:55 min per mile

LSR night tonight. ( 16 miles with 2@ pace)

Off up to Howth once again on a cold, blustery night. I started off as always with a couple of miles on the grass at CLontarf then made my way up the coast in the snow towards Howth..

I love this run because it throws a good climb at you, has amazing scenery ( Dublin bay was a bit mind blowing tonight from the summit with the snow falling and the air so crisp and clear) and is anything but boring.

Really enjoyed the first 12 miles or so heading up over the summit and down into Howth village but once I left Sutton Cross on the way back in on the coast road, the wind became a bit of a joke and it was a real battle to run forwards at all for about a mile ( I checked the pace at one stage and it was 10:45:eek:). Thankfully it died down quite a bit the further in the coast I came and I put the boot down for miles 14 and 15 (8:00 and 7:52).

I felt very good on this run and had no problem upping the pace towards the end, in fact I quite enjoyed the rhythm that I fell into. A tough but satisfying session

1 mile very easy to finish.

Total miles@ 16 @ 8:47

• Advertisement

I was a little stuck for time tonight so had to re-adjust my planned hill session accordingly.

I had planned on doing 8 miles with 12x 30 second hill reps ( running hard up the hill and jogging back down for recovery)

I ended up going for 7.5 miles with 8 x 30 second reps - in hindsight, I should have dropped some of the easy miles and kept the 12 reps.

Anyway, started off with some press-ups to fight off the fear of the cold then headed off to start off with 5 miles easy...I got most of this in on the grass which is always a bonus.
    Made my way down to my chosen hill and started the reps ( into a strong enough breeze too which added a little resistance), I had planned to run this hard, not quite flat out sprinting but I wanted to really work my legs and get some intensity into the session.

rep pace
    1 5:28
    2 5:24
    4 5:20
    5 5:24
    6 5:25
    7 5:28
    8 5:28

I was blowing hard on the last one to be honest and found them a fair bit tougher than the last hill session I did but I do think that I need a session like this every few weeks, I felt a little ill straight after the last one which I haven't actually felt in training yet so I suppose its a sign I was pushing up the hill hard ( I need to do that !)

Good session, good week so far :D

( also, lots more people out running tonight than previous nights - I think people are just sick of the wind at this stage and are getting on with it !)

Out late tonight, started off with a pull-up or two and headed off down the coast for 4 miles easy.

Best night on AAAAAAGGGES for a run and I have 4 miles easy to do....typical.

Very few people out tonight ( off valentining I suppose!), the only company I had was a gang of ducks I spotted chilling out under the moonlight on the lovely calm sea.

Very enjoyable run, would have loved to have time to do a few more miles.

Total miles 4 @ 8:27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

"started off with a pull-up or two and headed off"

And you're telling me to MAN up on my side, what happened to the 20 mins of pull ups, you getting blisters from something else :)

TbL

ha ha ha ha - I was waiting for that !

pushed for time TBL...pushed for time :)

AM - 4 miles easy before the house woke, out into the wind, rain and cold...not a pleasant first 2 miles - the rain was hopping off my forehead and I had brain freeze until I turned for home
    Much easier 2nd half to this one, wind at my back and I sailed home for a bowl of porridge :D

PM - 3 miles easy, lovely night for it - clear sky, full moon, breeze wasn't too bad for a change.
    Both runs completed (mainly) on the grass too

Total miles: 7 @ 8:25 min miles

• Advertisement

Tempo night seems to roll around very quickly these days, I wasn't feeling the love for running but got ready and headed off anyway.

1.5 miles easy to warm up, on the grass at the coast road, then took off on the tempo section ( 6 miles), I planned to run these at the tougher end of my tempo range, especially towards the end

I was running into quite a strong breeze for the first mile and didn't quite hit the pace I had hoped but pushed on anyway. I took in the Raheny 5 mile route on this one so there was a decent climb or two and a couple of downward sections too.

Splits looked like this

6.29 - ran the last half mile very hard

1 mile easy to finish

Very happy with this week , 3 tough sessions and some nice easy\recovery runs which brings me up to just shy of 50 miles, all purposeful miles too.

Nice night again for it tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Duanington wrote: »

Very happy with this week , 3 tough sessions and some nice easy\recovery runs which brings me up to just shy of 50 miles, all purposeful miles too.

Nice night again for it tonight :D

Hi Duanington,

Was it by accident or design that you had 3 sessions & lsr in the last week? Do you think you're taking a bit of an injury risk with so many hard miles?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Hi Duanington,

Was it by accident or design that you had 3 sessions & lsr in the last week? Do you think you're taking a bit of an injury risk with so many hard miles?

Hi Bulmers74, my "running week" starts on a Monday and runs through till Sunday. At the moment the sessions are LSR - repeats and Tempo ( at the end of the week) so if I include LSR as a session I run 3 per week. I'm very careful to run easy miles in between and am getting better at running actual recovery miles too, there are crossovers some weeks that mean I end up doing 4 in 7 days ( Friday- Thursday) but in general I stick to 3 per week.

In short, accident - definitely accident :D

Late home from work tonight but I was looking forward to getting out for a run all day today so I was eager to get going.

Started off at home with some air guitar light weights\stretching to the black keys ( live at the BBC) then headed off for some very easy miles.

Made my way over to East Wall at recovery pace, stopping to walk for a few seconds every couple of miles - I love the relaxed nature of these runs, for me it can be as much about recovery for the mind as the body!

Lovely run home into a light breeze with light rain which was very refreshing.

Total miles: 7 @ 9:07 min miles

LSR night tonight, the plan was for 14 miles with 4 @pace ( through the hilly section)

This week is a tough week and tonight's run was a tough run...I have felt the need to add hills into my long runs for quite a while now, in fact if I think back to DCM 2013 I distinctly remember regretting not training more on hills in the lead up to the big day.

I've done quite a bit to address that lately though and once again, Howth was the destination of choice to get some hills into the LSR. Tonight's run was different on two counts to previous LSRs in that
    a) I would run the Howth loop clockwise as opposed to anti clockwise ( which would mean a much steeper but shorter incline followed by a series of downhill stretches, broken by a few smaller climbs)
    b) I would run at pace through the hilly section, working hard up the hills and not quite holding back on the downward slopes ( I would normally hold back quite a bit)

The section up to the summit and back down was about 4 miles in total and the splits looked like this

7:45
    7:12
    7:11
    7:08

The first of these was uphill, the middle 2 were mainly downhill but have a few upward speed bumps along the way that really threw me, the last was all downhill.

Funny how I found the lungs working harder going up the hills, while the legs were fine then coming down the hills the legs felt it while the lungs were fine - it makes perfect sense to me now but I was struck by it at the time! I could probably have gone faster down the hills but I tried to keep the pace as even as possible over the duration of this secion

Reverted back to my normal LSR pace at the end of this section and made my way home to watch the end of the City Barca game ( didn't miss much by the looks of it)

Delighted with this session, I was very tired by the end of it but also very happy with the level of effort put in.

Total: 14 miles@ 8:20 min miles

Rest tomorrow then easy\recovery on Thursday

Wednesday - rest

Tonight - 5 miles easy

Started off with some press-ups\core stuff at home - ably assisted by Dr Dre ( The Chronic :cool:) then headed off out into the cold wind for some easy miles.

Not a whole lot to report - kept the pace down nicely , stopped at half way for a quick admiring gander at the stars that were unusually bright over the city for some reason then ran home nice and easy. ( then stuck Dr Dre back on while I did the dishes- gangsta style)

Total miles : 5 @ 8:32 min miles

I was down to do 6 miles easy tonight but I felt very fresh over the first mile and was actually a little stuck for time so I upped the pace a tad to turn it into 6 miles steady.

Down to East Point on the grass and back home again - once again the wind was strong in my face for the first half and was a gift on the last 3 miles.

Ticking over nicely this week and with no real 3rd session this week the legs are feeling strong at the moment.

finished off the evening with some core work then watched Wales mangle France

Total miles: 6 @ 8:05 min miles

I normally run a double on Saturdays but no run in the PM, picked up a small cut on the sole of my foot somehow that I need to keep an eye on so I'll rest up tonight.

AM- 4 miles easy nice and early, windy again, (what's new) but still a pleasant enough trot around, nice bit of stretching afterwards too.

Spent about 45 minutes in the afternoon on stretching\core\pressup type stuff.

I'll be a little shy of my target mileage this week because I'm missing tonight's run but its no big deal at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just catching up on your log now. Going by your regular routes I've probably passed by you on numerous occasions!:)

Your starting base is very similar to mine so you've some nice targets I can aspire to from your progress so far. Well done. Will follow with interest.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Just catching up on your log now. Going by your regular routes I've probably passed by you on numerous occasions!:)

Your starting base is very similar to mine so you've some nice targets I can aspire to from your progress so far. Well done. Will follow with interest.

We probably have passed each other alright, I'm forever running past people on the coast and thinking " I wonder is that.." . You seem to be fairly motoring yourself at the moment RR, I suspect you may be already changing targets around on the back of some of those sessions ( particularly the 4x2 at hmp last week)

• Advertisement

Sunday - unscheduled day off :( . the cut on the sole of my foot was still a little tender so I did the sensible thing and rested up.

Today - 7 miles with 3 tempo

Horrific conditions out there tonight and I was very thankful that this week's tempo was shorter than usual, even though the swirling wind and driving rain made it feel more difficult than normal at times

I've yet to figure out exactly how it is that the wind beats me to a pulp every time I try to run at pace during a gale. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm running against or with the wind....if its strong and blustery, I struggle.

I started with 1.5 miles easy, started off with the first tempo mile into the wind, hit some hills for miles 2 and 3 then ran 2.5 easy to finish.

Tempo splits looked like:

6:53
    6:37
    6:42

Felt very good afterwards though and really enjoyed the 2.5 easy miles to finish off. Kind of how Stazza describes you should feel after a "cheeky little session"

A reduced LSR for me tonight, starting off with a few light weights\stretches\core work....with A Tribe Called Quest providing the soundtrack :cool:

Off down the coast on the grass as usual then back up into Raheny\Killester and home . Lots and lots of runners out tonight, which is always good to see

My legs felt a little tired towards the end which isn't surprising given last night's little battle in the gales but still a nice run on a lovely clear evening in Dubalin towin :)

Made it home just in time to see the end of another Man UTD horror show :eek:

Total miles: 10 @ 8:35 min miles

Nice and easy again tonight, with a few strides throw in for good measure.

I spent 30 minutes or so on some core\press-up type stuff before heading out, Justice live at Coachella got the heart beating for this one.

Off out into what was just the nicest type of night to run in, starry sky, light breeze and chilled air. Really enjoyable trot down on the grass stopping to stretch very lightly after a couple of miles.

I threw in some strides on mile 3 , not so much for pace but practice my form and make sure I could stick to running without over-striding which I noticed I had done a bit last week. I found a good rhythm after 2\3 goes and put my mind at ease with another 4\5 ( its the little things that get me sometimes!)

Very enjoyable 5 miles @ 8:22 min miles, if I had time I would have done a few more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Great idea to drop in the strides - good to do this once or twice a week.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Kinvara rock and road 10k

I'd picked this one out almost straight after DCM last year as a race I wanted to run this year - and improve on my time from last year. There is something about running on the west coast that is liberating for a Dub like me, maybe its the total wildnerness you find yourself immersed in , maybe its the fact that you have the vast waters of the Atlantic on one side and the almost bizzare scenery provided by the Burren on the other side most of the way through this course or maybe its the daytrip effect, I'm not sure but I loved this race in 2013 and loved it again in 2014.

Going into the race I had trained well for the most part, I had worked hard, stayed patient and tried to keep consistent in my running - KInvara would tell me how far I had or hadn't developed so far this year.
    I had mixed thoughts on a PB, yes it would be nice and I would be lying if I said I didn't expect one but that was tempered by the fact that my PB is from a very flat and fast course and I found Kinvara tough last year, lots of small hills and 2 larger hills that knocked the stuffing out of me last year.
    PB going into this one: 42:27
    Last year's Kinvara time: 44:59

Anyway, up bright and early this morning, I tend not to sleep very well the night before races and last night was as expected - 4\5 hours sleep max. I had the usual breakfast of porridge and peanut butter on bread and hit the road, convincing my eldest to come along for the spin :D

We made it down to Kinvara with plenty of time to spare, picked up my race number and sat in the harbour drinking tea while the crowds started to pour into the starting area.
    The organisers gave plenty of notice and plenty of reminders to get people up to the starting area, I started a 1.5 mile warmup with about 20 minutes to go and made my way up to the narrow street where we would be starting from.

The weather was great, my training had been good so far this year and I was a year wiser - it all added up right? WRONG - this was my first 10k race in 9 months, I didn't sleep well last night, the drive down would surely have cramped my legs up and I was a year older, not wiser.....
    I argued back and forth for a few minutes and we were off before I knew it.

Straight away I knew I had started too far back , the crowd was quite congested running through the village for the first .25 mile or so, I found myself running between cars to try and make up a little ground and get up to the pace I wanted to stay at ( somewhere around the 6:40 mark). Once we left the village though, things opened up nicely and I found myself ticking along at what felt like a nice pace. I was picking people of steadily over the next .5 mile before settling into a group of 3\4 runners who seemed to be at a similar level.

My legs felt quite shaky at the end of mile one though, the seeds of doubt were well and truly planted.
    I was very happy with my form at this stage actually, no overstriding and I was moving well, even if I was doubting that I could last the pace. I promised myself to check my pace as often as I liked but to ignore the actual splits as they came along and did just that. The 2 mile marker appeared ahead and I kicked on with the group ( noticing that almost everyone spat in defiance as they passed the sign!)

The first hill at the end of mile 2 hit the field like an atom bomb, people in front of me started to slow but I stayed steady, keeping the legs turning over even though my lungs had to suck in a bit harder to allow them to do so. The field was well strung out now, I was moving well and passing people every few hundred metres but I was breathing, very , very heavily - which I found discouraging.
    I passed the water station at the 5 k mark without even looking up, thinking back now, I probably should have taken water - even just to douse the raging flames in my head, I was hurting and doubting but was working hard and reminding myself of some of the sessions I had done since Christmas.

3 miles in, halfway through and I was faltering, I could feel my form slipping but was still aware that my strides were going well. I knew there were two big hills left to tackle so I tried to kick on while the going was flat, I also knew one of those hills would slow me down substantially.
    I hit the first of the hill and decided to maintain the effort and not go too hard, I'd make the time up coming down the other side....it hit me hard, I was sucking seagulls out of the sky by the time I approached the top ( stole that saying from Mike Ross) and my pace was down to 7:15, my legs were hurting and shaky but I was on the way home, approaching mile 5.

Runners were very scarce at this stage of the race, I was running on my own in the middle of nowhere, the Burren looming on the horizon, every now and then a pocket of locals would appear and their shouts of encouragement spurred me on....the last mile was approaching, the last .5 mile was all downhill but I knew the first .25 was uphill and was dreading it.

I spotted a runner wearing a red top on the horizon and tried to focus on catching him before the finish, he was slowing and I was holding steady. He hit the last hill about 100 metres ahead of me and his body language told a story, it was f*cking hurting. I made my way up the hill after him, moving out onto a much bigger road on the way back into Kinvara Village, trying hard to relax through the pain on the way up ( can you try hard to relax?!).

I passed the guy in red just before entering backing into the village and knew we had a good downhill finish ahead now, more and more supporters were appearing and that helped me keep pushing on. I could still hear the guys feet pounding behind me in the distance so I knew he hadn't gone away and he probably had gotten a new lease of life with the downhill stretch but I could hear the PA system at the finish line now and the harbour was coming into view up ahead, I also knew at this stage that I had kept a good pace up, my aim of improving on last year's time was in the bag.

The small crowds got bigger and louder as we turned out of the winding downhill stretch onto the flat of the harbour, shouts of encouragement have a wonderful effect on me, I tend to find a kick from nowhere, 2\300 metres to go and I kicked on for home, the pain was gone and was replaced by a that wonderful realisation that I was nearly finished!

Finish line in sight, the clock read 41: something and I was a happy bunny. Crossed the line in 41:33 and grabbed a banana, some water and made my way around to my eldest, my bro and his kids who had made their way down to shout some encouraging words. We hung around for a while to cheer on some finishers then headed off for mugs of tay and hang sangwiches. I was shattered but chuffed, an unexpected PB and a big improvement on last year's time ( 44:59).

So , 1st race of 2014 and a very positive result for me. I am moving in the right direction and have made some genuine progress. I am aware that I have a long way to go before I get to where I want to be but I'm another step along the way.
    :D

( splits were: 6:45, 6:34, 6:31, 6:41, 6:45, 6:40 and 1:36)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Delighted for you:D Great report too. Sounds like the drive was worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Ososlo wrote: »

+1 - well done on the pb. Keep plugging away and the times will keep coming down. Great start to the year!

Ososlo wrote: »

Thanks a mill Ososlo - It was definitely worth it, great place to run, really well organised and just a lovely buzz to the place too

Stazza wrote: »
    +1 - well done on the pb. Keep plugging away and the times will keep coming down. Great start to the year!

Thanks Stazza - that's the plan alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice work and very nice report.
    Well done!

Advertisement