Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Well done chief! Always nice to pick up a few medals. Great to see to see a load of boardsies taking to XC this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Bah, killing yourself digging up a field in a pair of slippers with nails in them, don't see the attraction myself. Ye townies think muck, ****e and fields are a novelty :)

Suppose you did alright for a soft Pale dweller!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

El Caballo wrote: »
    Well done chief! Always nice to pick up a few medals. Great to see to see a load of boardsies taking to XC this year too.

Thanks man - all the cool kids are doing it this year...and me :D

Suppose you did alright for a soft Pale dweller!

TbL

High praise indeed from the king of the muck savages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Fantastic result D, great report felt your pain no better man than DH to get you to squeeze every last ounce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Well done, that's a very strong result. Nice to get some medals too!

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Fantastic result D, great report felt your pain no better man than DH to get you to squeeze every last ounce.

Thanks G - EVERY last ounce!

Well done, that's a very strong result. Nice to get some medals too!
    Thanks a mill - I'm not one for keeping medals but I'll deffo keep these ones.

Monday

Back to the plan today, easy miles on the cards obviously so I met up with FerrisB and we took in a couple of loops around St Anne's at lunchtime. Really enjoyed this, the pace was nice and easy and the legs didn't feel too bad.

7.5 for the lot ( a couple more than originally intended)

Weights and core later in the day

Tuesday

Off out after work with the backpack for my long run tonight, lovely evening for it too. I bumped into a few faster lads from the club on the way home so ditched the backpack and ran their route with them before leaving them at around the 8 mile mark and heading off on my own.
    Pace picked up a little along the way but I was careful to back off each time it threatened to stray.

Couple of bumps and drags over the latter stages of this one.

16.3 miles @ 7.40ish pace

Core work and stretching after

Wednesday

AM - A little tight for time so cut this mornings run back to a straightforward door to door runmute - 4.1 miles

PM - Tired starting off but felt better as the run went on. Ran towards home and tagged a few extra miles on.

7.7 easy miles

11.8 for the day (very easy

Thursday

Session day rolls around again.

Plan was for 3x1.5 miles @ 5 mile pace...5 minutes easy between reps.

Felt no love for this at all this morning, tired mind, tired body, so I stuck some music on and got started on a light weights session and some core work before getting on with the job at hand.

A few easy miles around St Anne's and I headed out to the Howth Road to start the faster stuff ( taking in as much of the Raheny 5 course as I could).

First rep was rough enough, even though its a pretty fast route.
    Second rep was harder again ...ran it a bit quicker though
    Last rep was not quite as bad as I feared but I did have the luxury of running down the avenue in St Anne's for much of it.

1st 1.5 miles - average pace = 5.50
    2nd 1.5 miles - average pace= 5.44
    3rd 1.5 miles - average pace = 5.44

Could have gone for a powernap right there and then at the end of this, happy enough with how it went though given that its the first of these kind of sessions I've done in quite a while.

A few more easy miles to bring the total for the day to 10.7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Duanington wrote: »
    Thanks A - good to see you motoring through some good sessions again. Might see you at a race soon

Love a bit of smackdown talk!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

A bit of catching up here. Well done on the interXC D, that report was a super read. Got a real sense of your progression through the field and the hurt in the last stretch. Well deserved honours too.

RedRunner wrote: »
    A bit of catching up here. Well done on the interXC D, that report was a super read. Got a real sense of your progression through the field and the hurt in the last stretch. Well deserved honours too.
    Hurt, hurt, hurt R!

Thanks a mill - delighted you're making a bit of progress these days by the way, great to see it

Friday

5 easy miles before work - right glute was niggling at me during this and was completely locked up by the time I stepped out of the shower room in work. Spent the day hobbling around, consulting doctor google and contemplating the rest of my life !

After self diagnosing at least 6 career enduing injuries, I decided to take a few days off, let things settle and get a pro to take a look. Myles S wasn't available so made do with a physio near to the office.

Diagnosis - nothing major, just some very technical sounding term for a locked up\weakened glute muscle ( one of the smaller ones) that has had a bit of a chain reaction around the area. Dry needling and a massage took the discomfort away almost immediately and I've to run through a course of strengthening\rehab stuff for the next few days.

Pretty sure I know the cause of this too - heavy workload obviously but there are one or two other things that I'll have to manage a bit better over the next few months ( choice of footwear for longer runs for example...picked an old pair of Adidas Boston Boost with no support this week, I tend to overpronate on my left side a bit and the result is a sore spot on the sole of my left foot for a couple of days...running across uneven surfaces or up hills is risky enough...throw in a slight limp action because of the sore spot and you're asking for trouble).

Scrapped the idea of running at all this week as I want to get this right, it also lets me work out any other kinks and niggles I've picked up over the last while.

Back at it from next week hopefully but for now its a case of forgetting about rushing things, focusing on ironing this out and getting it 100% right so I can focus fully from next week ( and also staying away from Strava - serious runner envy going on !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

No Raheny? Right about giving the glute some rest, most wouldn't be that wise.

tang1 wrote: »
    No Raheny? Right about giving the flute some rest, most wouldn't be that wise.
    Steady on B...Jaysus !

( nope - too big a risk to be honest)

Steady on B...Jaysus !

( nope - to big a risk to be honest)

Cant believe I done that!!! Stupid iPhone.

ha ha ha - made sure I quoted it too so its there forever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You never let me away with that excuse!! am in stitches here - Sorry D, hope your GLUTE recovers soon :D:D

You never let me away with that excuse!! am in stitches here - Sorry D, hope your GLUTE recovers soon :D:D

You don't have an iPhone........

Careful DoubleD, next you know Toyboy will be telling you he knows some good exercises to help with your flute :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Careful DoubleD, next you know Toyboy will be telling you he knows some good exercises to help with your flute :)

TbL

Which he learnt from a very friendly bogger who swears by them!!!

FBOT01 wrote: »

TbL

Which he learnt from a very friendly bogger who swears by them!!!

Nope. I'd only ever let a professional near mine.

If you don't know what you're at it can lead to serious damage :)

TbL

How's the glute(got it right that time) D?

How's the glute(got it right that time) D?

Howdie B - back on the roads this week thankfully...GLUTE is just about sorted now, sticking to easy miles for a few more days to make sure of course.

I'm almost as glad to be out of the gym ( and off the poxy bike) as I am to be back running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Glad to see you back DD :)

Nice return to form, top 10 finish in Kinvara 10k Double D!

TbL

Nice return to form, top 10 finish in Kinvara 10k Double D!

TbL

Thanks C- I'm a sucker for that race - tough but beautiful route ( with the usual testing Atlantic conditions) with a lovely finish. Another step back in the right direction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Thanks C- I'm a sucker for that race - tough but beautiful route ( with the usual testing Atlantic conditions) with a lovely finish. Another step back in the right direction :D

Hello? That is not a report! :rolleyes:

annapr wrote: »
    Hello? That is not a report! :rolleyes:

WIP A!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jaysus H Christ - you'll have done another race by the time this race report comes out.

#bethedidntevenraceit

:)

Advertisement