Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Brilliant work. The splits show that the hills didn't slow you down at all really. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great run on a tough course, congrats on the PB.

There must be something in all that Chippendale mullarky after all :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done. Great run ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice work and very nice report.
    Well done!

thanks AMK

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done. Great run ;-)

Thanks Yaboya1

• Advertisement

Great run on a tough course, congrats on the PB.

There must be something in all that Chippendale mullarky after all :)

TbL

ha ha - thanks TbL

Cleanman wrote: »
    Brilliant work. The splits show that the hills didn't slow you down at all really. :cool:

Thanks Cleanman - they were the good kind of hills though, the ones that come down again!

And a top 25 finish out of more than 650 finishers, well done D

TbL

Busy day\evening\night meant that I was late getting out ( again) - when I did get out, the legs were sore in places but not as bad as I had feared to be fair. I ran on the grass for the main part and kept the pace way down tonight.

Felt a whole lot better once I got past the 2 mile mark and better again when I finished up, spent another 15 minutes or so doing some light stretching afterwards

4 miles @ 9:14 min miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great racing Duanington! Well done.

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great racing Duanington! Well done.

Thanks RR!

Thought it might be useful to post a link to the blog of the guy that won the Kinvara 10k on Saturday

http://beermatt.blogspot.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Just catching up on the logs now. Congrats on a super PB :D

Just catching up on the logs now. Congrats on a super PB :D

Many thanks CM :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Missed this until now - well done on the PB. Nice report too. :)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Missed this until now - well done on the PB. Nice report too. :)

Thanks TJ - best of luck with the injury\recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Great running for that season opening PB. Well done for keeping it going when it was feeling so tough at halfway. Good report as well (no music??).

outforarun wrote: »
    Great running for that season opening PB. Well done for keeping it going when it was feeling so tough at halfway. Good report as well (no music??).

Thanks a mill outforarun ( no music unfortunately, unless my gasping for breath and muffled cursing counts!)

Perfect evening for a run tonight - clear skies, cool breeze and a teeny bit of drizzle thrown in for good measure.
    Started off with some core\stretch work then headed off towards the O2 at an easy pace . Lots of football teams and running groups out tonight, bright yellow jackets are everywhere at the moment

I threw in 6 strides during the 2nd last mile.. .each one 60\70 metres in distance and probably maxing out at around 6:00 pace - once again, this was more about focusing on form than pace . My legs complained a little during the first couple but felt nice and lucid by the start of the last couple.

Finished off with another easy mile

Total miles: 7.5 @ 8.12 min miles

Hectic day in work and a few things to sort out straight after so I was fairly tired heading off running.

I decided against hitting the hills in Howth tonight and dismissed earlier notions of throwing in a few HMP miles at the halfway point. A decent LSR would be a good start to the week after a tough race on Saturday.

Got the first 5 miles in on the grass then headed out the coast towards Sutton, turning up into Donaghmede and then onto Raheny. I like this route because there are a few little climbs around the 8\9 mile mark that test the legs. Picked up the pace a little on Mile 11 and headed for home.

My legs felt quite tired towards the end, not surprising I suppose - a very enjoyable run, tough at the end but still enjoyable

Made it home just in time to steal the last of some leftover pizza :D

Total miles: 13.5 @ 8:35 min miles

• Advertisement

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - 6 miles easy

Late home again this evening but still got a little bit of core\pressup\stretch work in before heading off.
    Gorgeous night for it, drizzling rain, mild and no real wind to speak of. Really enjoyed this run and trotted along at a nice easy pace on the grass for most of it.
    Legs felt very good at the end, looking forward ( kind of ) to tomorrow's session.

Total miles - 6@ 8:20 min miles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Duanington wrote: »

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - 6 miles easy

Late home again this evening but still got a little bit of core\pressup\stretch work in before heading off.
    Gorgeous night for it, drizzling rain, mild and no real wind to speak of. Really enjoyed this run and trotted along at a nice easy pace on the grass for most of it.
    Legs felt very good at the end, looking forward ( kind of ) to tomorrow's session.

Total miles - 6@ 8:20 min miles

Seriously?????

What is your major malfunction?,

Gavlor wrote: »
    Seriously?????

What is your major malfunction?,

Seriously what? :confused:

I've too many malfunctions to mention !

In the market for a new pair of runners, any opinions on these?

Asics Gel-DS Trainer 19

(I've had gait analysis done and I overpronate)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Duanington wrote: »
    In the market for a new pair of runners, any opinions on these?

Asics Gel-DS Trainer 19

(I've had gait analysis done and I overpronate)

theres a 'runners' thread on the Gear & Equiptment page

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1412

Might get a wider response.

:D08.03.2014

Friday - 4 miles easy. I had planned to do a 400 session but life got in the way so scrapped it for a late 4 mile run. Lovely run, lovely night, back home for a lovely bit of grub too ( pasta, chicken, salad..yum)

Saturday -AM took the window of opportunity that presented itself this morning and headed up to St Annes for the parkrun. I had planned to get up at 7 am and do the 400 session but when I got the chance to do the parkrun, I turned off the alarm and had another hours kip:-)

took in the 1.5 mile run from the house to St Annes at nice easy pace, threw in a little pace towards the end and got myself down to the starting area. Nice turnout this morning despite the VERY windy conditions down there, as always, nice relaxed atmosphere amongst the runners and organisers alike.
    We were ushered around to the starting line and I lined up maybe 20 or so from the front. We were off within 30 seconds and I had my usual episode of finding traffic to get stuck behind for a few hundred metres before settling in with a group that were trotting along at a similar pace to me.

I checked the watch about .5 mile in for my pace and even though my legs felt a little wobbly, I was happy enough so stayed with the group. The route at st Annes is very flat and is nice and sheltered in most areas but one or two sections were very blustery this morning, in particular coming towards the end of mile 1 at the football pitches before turning out onto the main avenue. The wind always bullies me a little and it did so yet again today- I noticed how some people tucked themselves in behind me while I got battered by the wind....anyway, on we kicked onto the avenue.

Mile 1 went by fairly quickly and I was in a nice steady canter by the time we got to half way, I could feel my breathing become a bit more laboured by this stage though and notions of slowing down for a little bit began to gather like a dark cloud over my head! The group I was running with began to break up a little coming towards the end of mile 2 and I found myself running alongside the leading lady ( the marshal at halfway had announced she was), she seemed to be in total control of her running and had left the group behind so I stuck with her for a bit until the hurt came a knocking! I checked the pace again after mile 2 and knew I was moving at a decent pace but I was starting to hurt badly (again), my form was slipping a bit and I was having to work to keep my stride in check. The leading lady moved to about 20 metres ahead and I worked hard to keep the gap at that distance, passing a couple of people in the process.
    The wind at the football pitches hit me hard second time around and I my breathing went to pieces, I fought the urge to slow down though because I knew once I got back out onto the avenue it would just be a matter of holding the pace for a pretty good result.
    Out onto the avenue we moved and as always, I was struck by how far away the finish line seemed - it was visible alright but the long stretch between the turn and the finish line there can be intimidating. I decided to focus on the runners ahead instead and gritted my teeth, questioned whether I actually wanted a decent time, concluded I did and reminded myself that it wouldn't land itself on my lap without a bit of hard work!
    Tidying up my form, I focused again on breathing and stride, lengthening my stride a little and I could feel the pace increasing nicely, it was hurting but it was working.
    I put in a spurt at the end to squeeze another second or two and crossed the line in 19:18 - a pretty decent PB for me ( from 19:54) :D
    splits were: 6.25 6.19 6.16 and .18 for the last bit

I felt good at the end, I'm glad I raced this morning instead of the session and its a second PB in 7 days which is very satisfying, sets me up nicely for another 5\6 weeks of hard training. Hung around for a few minutes to clap some runners home then ran a 1 mile warm down

PM a game of chasing with the youngest and a 3 mile recovery run with the eldest
    Total miles : 8.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice running this morning. Kicking ass on the PB front....keep on trucking!

You're flying D, another PB, well done

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

You have me by 1 second over 5K. Great run. Next up 18:XX.

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Nice running this morning. Kicking ass on the PB front....keep on trucking!

Thanks FBOT01 - I plan to!

Advertisement