Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***MatchThread*** 5-Nov 21:15 WES1 123.ie

• 01-11-2013 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

This is where we slipped up last season, so we need to ensure we don't this time round.

This is the start of a bit of a run of fixtures against the teams who were in the mix last season, so good numbers essential.

Ed - in
    Cathal - in
    Craig - in
    Keith - in

Derek McD -out
    Paddy - in
    SteMcD - in
    Ciaran - in

Collie - Maybe

Darren - in
    Luke C- (centre mid) In
    Dave - in
    Jules - in

Luke D - Maybe
    Wes -
    Ste K - In
    Derek McL - out
    Kingsley -in

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah these guys gave us 2.

A 1-0 loss in which they scored with the last kick of the game, that result was after 3 wins and a draw for us, we didnt win another game for 5 matches.

A 4-0 loss in which we were pretty awful.

We have had a good start to the league with the wins but there is still plenty of room for our performances to improve.

We need to be defensively solid as these guys have good attacking players, but we need to attack with speed and in numbers and support the front man or we risk playing ball in our own half for the entire game.

We are good enough for the win so lets go out and get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im in.

this will be a very tough game, expect it to be high scoring on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

In.

In :)

I blame Darren for last season :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Looks like I'm out again...

• Advertisement

mrDerek wrote: »

:(

Des you can lob me up front if you want :D . I'm expecting to be a serious bench warmer with the start you've had lads. Ah well having a bigger squad helps later on so doesn't bother me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mrDerek wrote: »

So.. it means whoever scores tomorrow wont have competition for getting on the scoresheet... :pac:

So.. it means whoever scores tomorrow wont have competition for getting on the scoresheet... :pac:

He will be willing it in from the sidelines, he will have some part in it, don't worry about that, divine intervention and all that jazz.

Yes I'm more humble this season, less Roy Keane more Paul Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

ill of course still be claiming it

1 sub confirmed, would have hoped we had more against these will need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Best of luck...gonna pop up and try to see a bit of the game since it's the late game...hope youse can keep the run going.

One of their best player is out injured and was a handful when we played them in both games. However they have a huge squad. 7 subs at their last game so we need to stay fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I just sent them a very complicated car insurance request so hopefully that will tire them out a bit. :pac:

Mousewar wrote: »
    I just sent them a very complicated car insurance request so hopefully that will tire them out a bit. :pac:

loalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Beaten 3-0 by the better team on the night.

How we react is key, getting back into momentum with 3 points next week is all that matters for now.

Hands up, I was poor tonight myself and will look to put things right next time, but we can normally handle a player or two being off key but several of us had our touch off tonight and that makes it hard to keep possession and get into the game. Rare that happens and we're a much better team than we showed tonight, we just each need to consider a couple of things in our own game we can each improve for next time, that's the best way to improve as a unit.

Lets make sure this is just a blip and we get back into the groove next week.

Oh, and we need our goal machine back fighting fit up front!

Beaten 3-0 by the better team on the night.

ya i think we can have very few complaints, though nothing went right for anybody either on the night. two of the goals came in the immediate attack after we should have scored ourselves for instance and the one just on the stroke of half time was a real sickner as we had just settled into the game.

the 3 goals were all avoidable, a long ball from the keeper, a free header from a free kick and a penalty so dissappointing to concede 3 very basic goals like that.

we did defend much better in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Keaner

sorry lads, i didnt play the best, nothing worked/ fell right, I conceded the penalty and had 3 chances to score.... nothing went my way really

Keaner wrote: »
    sorry lads, i didnt play the best, nothing worked/ fell right, I conceded the penalty and had 3 chances to score.... nothing went my way really

Don't worry about it you've been excellent for the team since you've been around. Nights like that happen they really are our bogey team though. Reaction is key as Jules said, we need people wanting to win next week. There was no talking at all last night.

I blame my return for ****ing up the run :pac:

it was a brutally soft penalty,i wouldnt take any blame for it at all if i was you i think the ref fecked us over on that one. he made no attempt to play the ball and just fell over.

their free kick they scored from was exceptionally soft also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There is no single person to blame - we win and lose as a team.

it was a brutally soft penalty,i wouldnt take any blame for it at all if i was you i think the ref fecked us over on that one. he made no attempt to play the ball and just fell over.

their free kick they scored from was exceptionally soft also.

It was a soft penalty, sure thing but the thing is these refs are clowns that think they're in the premier league and if they see anyone coming in from behind even the slightest bit of contact they will blow.

I ran into a guy and my momentum took me forward into him, barely touched him and the ref talked to me for 10 years about it, clowns.

We were poor, they did score when we should have scored 2, I swung a corner kick in that we should have scored from then from the counter we gave away another retarded free kick and a guy scored a header from the edge of the box.

One thing is we need to be ore disciplined in our tackling, we give silly silly free kicks away coming behind players, there is absolutely no need to foul a player on the halfway line when he is facing his own goal (2nd goal came from a free like this)

Keith whipped in a great ball, ste missed it, from that counter the penalty came, 1st goal well the less said the better.

We were all muck, can't be any worse, they are an exceptional team in the air, yet we persisted with long balls, I myself was guilty of some of them and I should have played more balls into feet(next week I will mix it up and do more of this) we did have pressure and chances and bar the 3 goals to be fair Ed didn't really have much to do between the nets.

3-1 / 3-2 would have been a fairer result, but that said you can't deny on the night we were just outplayed in every area of the pitch.

just need to pick it up next week, result is all important.

One last thing guys, there is a hell of a lot of slipping and sliding, this surface will only get worse, if you're playing with boots that are a little bit old, then it's probably worth investing in a new pair, believe me it helps and will give you that little bit of an advantage of the other team.

I wouldn't worry we were all off, it's no individuals fault we as a team were just poor last night, just head up and score a few next week.

Yeah time to forget about this. We were beaten by a better team on the night but as Jules said this blip must not become a dip.

I think self-criticism is a very positive thing as without it you don't really identify what you need to improve on personally. But there's a time and a place for it and it's not during a game, I did notice a few people getting frustrated with themselves when things didn't work last night. All that matters when something goes wrong during a match is: What can I do next to make it more likely for us to win?

Dropping the head won't make it more likely that we win. Telling yourself you just screwed up (e.g. if you let the defender nick infront of you to reach a ball you should have protected) just puts more pressure on yourself for the next time you get the ball and it spirals from there. Big difference to that and instead telling yourself 'next time I need to come towards the ball more so the defender can't get a foot in'. The former leads to a spiral, the latter keeps it fresh in mind next time what you should be doing - I've read several sports psychology books/articles and they're all consistent in saying it's important to focus on what you Do need to do, rather than what you Don't need to do. Believe me, when you're playing upfront and living off scraps it's even more important for the team that you do well in securing possession with whatever quality of ball reaches you and when you do poorly at that and it puts the team back under pressure or when you miss a chance, it's very hard to shake it off and not let your confidence get affected and to keep the head up and try put it right next time. Can't say I manage to practice 100% what I preach in this regard, but I do try to shake it off and go again, and all we can ask of ourselves and each other is that we try our best both in taking the right approach and putting 100% effort into that approach.

Reacting defensively when someone points something constructive out (e.g. a bad decision that you made, a simple pass option you didn't see/hear) doesn't make it more likely for us to win either. This team has very little negative comments compared to most so it's more likely the fella is trying to point out something constructive than just bitching or moaning at you. Simple thing I'd suggest is instead of responding immediately (which in the heat of the moment just ups the ante), just pause for a second or two and actually listen to what he's saying - there just might be something there worthwhile taking onboard. Even if there's other aspects of the point that you feel are wrong, what good actually comes out of arguing with it vs. just acknowledging that you hear what he's saying, taking the valid bits onboard and ignoring the rest? The latter is the reaction that makes it more likely for it to improve next time.

So while it's good to see people being self-critical, cos it shows you care and want to help yourself and the team improve, there's a way to go about it to build up to the next time instead of beating yourself down.

Advertisement