Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person in the Docks ?

Options
  • 01-11-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Was driving around the docks at around 2am this morning and there were Fire engines, Gardai, Lifeboat and a rescue helicopter going around the docks, I asked a guy what was going on and he told me a person had gone into the water, the Rescue helicopter had the place lit up like daytime with very bright lights.

Did not hear anymore but Please God she was found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Just heard now on Galway Bay FM that there was a large crowd having a party at the docks and some guy thought his girlfriend had fallen in so called out the emergency services, who searched until 3.30am today, she was found at another party in a student village this morning, twats !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Such a waste of man power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Absolute ****wits!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I generally believe in better safe than sorry, but I do hope the people responsible are fined in some way, to let it go as far as it did shouldnt be let go by authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I agree with the jist of what most of you are saying however if the person making the call had the slightest indication that she had gone into the water then he should have contacted the EMS.

The issue is these cretins were most likely hammered drunk and acting like baloons. They need a strong talking too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The Chopper woke me last night at 3am, I knew it wasn't good when it was hovering over an area and not just passing through. Thank God it was just a false alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

ya when ii left the front door last night, i could hear the helicopter coming. was catching up with an old college friend outside and it was there for a bit. first thought it could of been nemo's pier. after awhile, i decided to walk down to have a look, but as i wandered down it left.

good to hear it was a false alarm.

coming from a place near the sea, going to the water drunk is never a good idea. people will want to swim, not good

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scary stuff. Glad it was a stupid drunken mistake and not an actual casualty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I generally believe in better safe than sorry, but I do hope the people responsible are fined in some way, to let it go as far as it did shouldnt be let go by authorities.

While I agree in principle, the unintended consequence is that people get scared and don't make emergency calls they should make.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 underfed

Better safe than sorry but a summons for wasting garda time would be appropriate in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Have to say, would love to see the look on yer man's face when he realised. I bet they'd had a fight and she turned her phone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

While I agree in principle, the unintended consequence is that people get scared and don't make emergency calls they should make.

well if you call the Fire brigade you're charged a call out fee, so in this case of a mistakenly false and what would be expensive call out should have some form of if not fine but fee any way.

I would ring the emergency services if i felt the circumstances warranted it even if it ended up being a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

well if you call the Fire brigade you're charged a call out fee, so in this case of a mistakenly false and what would be expensive call out should have some form of if not fine but fee any way.

I would ring the emergency services if i felt the circumstances warranted it even if it ended up being a mistake.

Ahh, not quite true.

If someone calls the Fire Brigade, the property owner concerned is charged the fee. Unless you live in Dublin, or unless you are old and in one of the counties where OAPs get free calls outs. I suspect that if the property-owner cannot be found, then the caller may get the fee, but I don't know how legal this is.

Either way .. no matter whether it's called a fee or a fine, someone who doesn't have a spare few hundred euro to call the fire bridage (etc) wil hold off making a call that they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Mike Swan, Galway Lifeboat Operations Manager, says the search operation was eventually stood down at about 4am. “Each time the lifeboat is called out it costs the station up to €4,000. All of our lifeboat crew and land crew are volunteers and we rely solely on fundraising and the generosity of the public to keep the station and service running.”

last night couldnt have cost ANYWHERE near 4k! Mr Swan explain this badly, ''Each time the lifeboat is called out it costs the station up to €4,000.'' every rescue is different time/fuel etc.
    My thinking of it is that he's trying to make it sound that there is a fee to land the vessel on the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

More than likely he is taking into account calling out the boat crews at that time, setting up and running the lifeboat etc, either way they are a fantastic organisation, I shudder to think what it cost to bring the Coastguard Helicopter from Shannon at that hour, also they had Fire Engines, Gardai and Ambulance crews there as well, when it comes to saving lives the cost does not really matter.

Well done all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ahh, not quite true.

If someone calls the Fire Brigade, the property owner concerned is charged the fee. Unless you live in Dublin, or unless you are old and in one of the counties where OAPs get free calls outs. I suspect that if the property-owner cannot be found, then the caller may get the fee, but I don't know how legal this is.

Either way .. no matter whether it's called a fee or a fine, someone who doesn't have a spare few hundred euro to call the fire bridage (etc) wil hold off making a call that they should.[/quote

The caller does not get charged a call out fee from the fire brigade, the service user does . In most cases of false alarms no bill is issued. If this call was a malicious hoax then maybe someone should be accountable, but if it was false alarm with good intent, then that would be no problem to the emergency services on scene, better safe than sorry or dead.

No matter what, it must have been a scary few minutes for the boyfriend and everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

No matter what, it must have been a scary few minutes for the boyfriend and everyone involved.

I understand people were bitching about the helo hovering over the docks, just as much as they were whinging about the movements in the summer in and out of UCH Galway, my answer to them would be that I hope they never ever need to have them and I hope that they are actually glad to see them when they get them, they are not flying around for the fun of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

johnsds wrote: »
    I understand people were bitching about the helo hovering over the docks, just as much as they were whinging about the movements in the summer in and out of UCH Galway, my answer to them would be that I hope they never ever need to have them and I hope that they are actually glad to see them when they get them, they are not flying around for the fun of it.

well put these guys risk their lives every time they lift off be it a medevac to the Hospital or a crewman from a ship hundreds of miles out in the Atlantic in storm force winds especially in Winter, they are heroes in my mind. Last night they carried out a search of the docks with thermal imageing cameras which detect body heat if a person is in the water and still afloat they can pick up the smallest amount of heat from the person in the water.

Advertisement