Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brett Sutton stepping down from TBB

Options
  • 01-11-2013 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Seems BS is going to follow through on his anti-wtc campaign, stepping down from the TBB and retiring from IM coaching in 2014.

http://beyondgoinglong.co.uk/?p=4054

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

WOW. It will be interesting to see how they go without him.

I also see the Xena is leaving Team TBB also

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Anyone know how Peter is taking the news?
    Is this the reason littleemfickle needs a new coach? Is Peter going to continue the Sutton impression and retire from coaching?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

one would almost say that the bigger suprise is that the team with a budget more comparble of swansea in the premier league, lasted so long.
    tri team dubai, team abu dhabi trek/k swiss, commerzbank et all that had a much shorter lifespan.

Most people in the tri world i guess would hope they come over the current sponsor and coach issues, as on the whole the team is one of very few long distance tri teams for a developing pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

It's a bit of a pity with Eimear Mullan having only just joined that BS will be departing so soon after. Wonder in the long run if that will be a + or -.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Shouldnt have much of an impact on Eimear i think as she's being coached by Bella Bayliss.

• Advertisement

Here's the latest from Doc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

He never was a fan of WTC and Kona despite training the Champions. He's being alluding to a big change and a new direction in tri the past few months in his Tweets.

I'm a johnny come lately in his fan club but I like his no nonsense no BS approach to coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Interesting interview. Someone should show him kickstarter for collecting his contributions for the new world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

He's going to struggle to hit those numbers when there have only been 4614 views so far!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i see both Cervelo and Jodie Swallow are also moving on. all change

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    i see both Cervelo and Jodie Swallow are also moving on. all change

Yep Cervelo no longer sponsoring teams, they will continue with individual athletes.

Funny just reading Chrissie Wellingtons book at the minute so a lot of the politics stuff is current in my head. One of the reasons she left TBB was to do with the group dynamic of sponsors, some of her sponsors didn't want to back a team and then there was a hinted pooling of prize money (or percentage there-of) for the benefit of the team. Seems cultish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Yep Cervelo no longer sponsoring teams, they will continue with individual athletes.

yeah, am considering a P2, have contacted them to tell them i'm available if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Funny just reading Chrissie Wellingtons book at the minute so a lot of the politics stuff is current in my head. One of the reasons she left TBB was to do with the group dynamic of sponsors, some of her sponsors didn't want to back a team and then there was a hinted pooling of prize money (or percentage there-of) for the benefit of the team. Seems cultish.

re pooling prize money. one could argue that her training partner helped her a lot in her developemt ( especially her who was pretty much clueless about tri when she entered ttb) so would it not be fair to share the profit with those that help you to become fast? I guess you must have missread this as she tries so hard to be seen a as a social do gooder as one would think she would be all up for this.

peter kern wrote: »
    re pooling prize money. one could argue that her training partner helped her a lot in her developemt ( especially her who was pretty much clueless about tri when she entered ttb) so would it not be fair to share the profit with those that help you to become fast? I guess you must have missread this as she tries so hard to be seen a as a social do gooder as one would think she would be all up for this.

At that stage, none of the team were speaking to her, she developed under Sutton and pushed herself as an individual, helping herself to become fast. She was somewhat shunned as an outsider to the sport.

Also she was very keen to help international development through NOT throwing money at the problem and more to do with enabling people to help themselves.

Of course this is how CW portrays herself and the situation in the book, just once side of the story. And money changes people too!

I see Siri is picking up a few of the TeamTBB crew. She has some squad of females. Training camps must be fiercely competitive.

The ST take on things

Advertisement