Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring electric oven to mains

Options
  • 01-11-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi there

My old built under electric oven stopped working so I got a new one to install.

When I removed the old one, it was wired directly to its own fuse in the fusebox via the red wall switch. However, the new oven just has a regular plug on it.

The plug wire just goes into a connector box inside the back panel of the oven. Is it ok to remove the plug from this and connect up the existing mains wire?

Thanks

Comments

Is there a 13A socket nearby that you can use?
    As the law has recently changed, you''ll need to get an electrician in to connect up the cooker or fit an additional 13A socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Is there a 13A socket nearby that you can use?
    As the law has recently changed, you''ll need to get an electrician in to connect up the cooker or fit an additional 13A socket.

Thanks. There's no electric socket near the space so I'll have to get one put in or have the oven wired up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

That would be classed as ""Minor Electrical Works" and as such would not require an Electrician. But common sense would dictate that ""competence"" is required, if unsure get a Professional, it's not just a case of wiring it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

That would be classed as ""Minor Electrical Works" and as such would not require an Electrician. But common sense would dictate that ""competence"" is required, if unsure get a Professional, it's not just a case of wiring it in.

Ok thanks. What else would need to be done other than disconnecting the plug and connecting the existing mains cable?

I'm going to move this to the electrical forum as you'll get a better answer there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

nialldinho wrote: »
    Ok thanks. What else would need to be done other than disconnecting the plug and connecting the existing mains cable?

I would imagine that removing a 13a plug and wiring direct to a 30+a supply will require the MCB to be changed, i'm no sparks but i would imagine your then possibly intruding on the law.

As always with anything CER related, always clear as mud.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would imagine that removing a 13a plug and wiring direct to a 30+a supply will require the MCB to be changed

Yes changing the MCB for a smaller one would be sensible. Another option would be to leave the larger MCB and install a fused spur outlet near the oven, which would contain a fuse sized more appropriately for the load.

but i would imagine your then possibly intruding on the law.

Any work on the distribution board is only permitted to be carried out by a registered electrical contractor. However a "competent person" may carry out "minor works" as defined on page 11 on this link:

http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=886952c8-f9c5-4685-b5eb-782f0161b49d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i wouldn't remove the moulded plug-it's not good practice to do so

a 13amp socket may be acceptable underneath worktop(with a warning notice) wired from the 32amp cable

-i think the rules may allow for this

Advertisement