Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb/vodafone/consumer telecom services rant

• 01-11-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello Guys

I need to let this out. Add-subtract as you see fit.

I signed up for Digiweb broadband a few weeks ago. They came and installed the service and it worked perfectly for just short of 2 weeks. Until suddenly the line goes completely dead. No tone when testing on the phone and the modem not even detecting anything.
    They have agreed to "test" the line for faults but from what I can gather it can take weeks. It seems someone has just disconnected us.

Now do I still need to pay for a full month of service when they cant deliver for half of that duration?

This comes after a ridiculous customer service experience from Vodafone Broadband where they stalled and delayed me more than 1 month without even setting up an order. I cant help think that telecom services to home customers are willfully neglected. I work in IT where the service delivered to Enterprise customers is on a completely different league. The technical expertise offered to home customers is non existent. There seems to be no standards for the support offered to home customers.

Thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Unre4L wrote: »
    Hello Guys

I need to let this out. Add-subtract as you see fit.

I signed up for Digiweb broadband a few weeks ago. They came and installed the service and it worked perfectly for just short of 2 weeks. Until suddenly the line goes completely dead. No tone when testing on the phone and the modem not even detecting anything.
    They have agreed to "test" the line for faults but from what I can gather it can take weeks. It seems someone has just disconnected us.

Now do I still need to pay for a full month of service when they cant deliver for half of that duration?

This comes after a ridiculous customer service experience from Vodafone Broadband where they stalled and delayed me more than 1 month without even setting up an order. I cant help think that telecom services to home customers are willfully neglected. I work in IT where the service delivered to Enterprise customers is on a completely different league.

Thoughts

Would I be correct n saying that your cooling off period had just ended when these problems started? This has happed to me on occasion and you have to give them reasonable time etc to fix the issue before you can kill the payment.

Regards the broadband and corporate versus home debate, well the large companies are paying probably hundreds of thousands a year for their connection. So we the home customer are small fish in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Unre4L

Would I be correct n saying that your cooling off period had just ended when these problems started? This has happed to me on occasion and you have to give them reasonable time etc to fix the issue before you can kill the payment.

Regards the broadband and corporate versus home debate, well the large companies are paying probably hundreds of thousands a year for their connection. So we the home customer are small fish in comparison.

Yes, conveniently outside the cooling period. But if I kill the payment, then what. Despite only 2 weeks of service they are lightyears better than Vodafone who cant manage a simple order in 6 weeks, or Magnet who cant find my address (middle of city center) or Imagine who dont even reply to service appraisals on their homepage. I have been with UPC when I lived a shared accommodation but from what i recall there were a lot of unexpected charges and other installation costs.

Nobody to turn to really.

On a side note, Enterprise contracts come out cheaper when you calculate the bandwidths they allow. A former colleague of mine bought a Corporate 100Mbit Upload and Download fiber connection back before when they become available to homes. He pad 1000 GBP a month and had 30 employees + servers running off the thing. The technical support offered was out of this world. They would have onsite engineers within 4 hours if he required. Home users pay less, but come no where near this volume. In return we get treated like pond residue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I hear you. But the Telecoms companies don't care what your using it for as a business. They would have no trouble selling you the same package but would you be willing to pay 1000 quid a month? Simple answer is, providing a better,quicker and more stable connection doesn't cost them a lot more than your average home connection.

Get on to the consumer association of ireland and comreg. See how long you have to wait. Catalogue everything that has gone worng etc. Then kill the payment.

And get UPC back in.

Advertisement