Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting up the tree in early November

Options
  • 01-11-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm delighted to finally have found some like-minded Christmas Nuts :D

I'm so excited about Christmas this year as it is our first year in our new home, we are starting from scratch and we've had to buy everything - Lights, tree etc. We've also inherited a tree from my mam so we'll have one for the kitchen and one for the living room :)

One of the girls I work with is also a Christmas Junkie :o and we agreed that we would both put up our trees on the 15th of November.

To be honest after getting our kitchen tree last week the excitement is getting the better of me, and now that Halloween is over I feel that really there isn't anything stopping me now from decorating. After all, we only have about 60 days until the whole thing is over so the more enjoyment we get out of Christmas the better right? :D

Anywhoo, what I'm asking is would it be totally crazy for me to get the trees up next Friday? Am I pushing it? Is there anybody else here putting their tree up the first week of November so I don't feel like such a silly moo? :o

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have moved since last Christmas but where I used to live, once the Halloween decorations came down in some houses, the Christmas decorations went up. I fully expect to see some lights/trees up after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

As much as I ADORE Christmas, I do think that's a bit too early to put up the tree and decorations....! I mean, I think you enjoy it more when it's up nearer Christmas cos then you know it's not far away!

But if it makes you happy, by all means go ahead :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If I lived with other people who were okay with it, I would have the decorations up the minute November hits. :D

At work I will start decorating in the next two weeks, no matter what my co-workers have to say about it! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Ours is up since yesterday. Mrs. Is a Christmas junkie.

We are doing well, it was mid October a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭angel_wings

Ours is up since yesterday. Mrs. Is a Christmas junkie.

We are doing well, it was mid October a few years back.

Sooo need to see a pic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

I saw that someone in another thread is putting theirs up at the weekend and teacherhead in this thread.

So i'm taking that as the official go ahead :D

Our decorating will begin on Friday night with the Late Late show on in the background :)

I even have an owl like the one from the intro and he is going to be perched next to the TV for the duration of the festive season :D

I saw that someone in another thread is putting theirs up at the weekend and teacherhead in this thread.

Our decorating will begin on Friday night with the Late Late show on in the background :)
    I even have an owl like the one from the intro and he is going to be perched next to the TV for the duration of the festive season :D

Would you not wait until the toyshow in a few weeks? ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

leahyl wrote: »

Normally in our house the tree is up by the time the toy show comes, and then Toy Show night is reserved for present wrapping :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

leahyl wrote: »

last friday of this month is the late late toyshow . its kinda like an irish tradition for alot of families to put the tree up on the day or evening of the toyshow .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

go for it if you feel like doing it - I usually wait till December 1st for mine - there ARE people that have them up already tho.
    If it makes you happy then do it - beats listening to all the doom and gloom any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think it's too early, but you certainly won't be alone. In the estate where I live, there are always a couple of trees up by early/middle November.

I just think I would get bored looking at it if I put it up that early and they also get a bit dusty and sad looking if they are up too long.

I'll be waiting til Dec 1st, I think that's plenty early.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Be sure to take a picture for our tree thread!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Saw some christmas lights decorating an apartment in Charlestown Dublin 11 tonight, thought it was a bit too early but reading here I guess not!

The apartment across from ours has Christmas lights up in the window this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LadyMeowMeow

I'm fighting the urge to put mine up at the moment. Not sure how long I can last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

One of my neighbours has their decorations up already.

I'm dying to get mine up. Not allowed yet though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

As a kid I used to hate the tree going up anytime early, there was nothing worse than getting up for school on a cold wet morning and getting into your uniform only to see a Christmas tree sitting in the corner, twas like a Chinese torture! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'd love to put mine up early... not this early though because I feel as though I'd get bored of it...
    Sadly mine always goes up after December 8 because that's when my Mam puts it up usually :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mine is going up November 29th! Have the day booked off work and all, going to make a day of it :D

I am very jealous that some of ye have yer ones up already!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

I'd love to put mine up early... not this early though because I feel as though I'd get bored of it...
    Sadly mine always goes up after December 8 because that's when my Mam puts it up usually :P

december 8th was/is traditionally the day that all the country folk would come up to dublin for the day to do their shopping . doesnt happen that much anymore due to shopping centres and large retail parks in almost every town in ireland now .

• Advertisement

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    december 8th was/is traditionally the day that all the country folk would come up to dublin for the day to do their shopping . doesnt happen that much anymore due to shopping centres and large retail parks in almost every town in ireland now .

Yep, I remember my mum saying that the 8th was the busiest shopping day of the year. She used to work in retail in Cork City and she said you could barely move in the shop on the 8th because of the crowds - she'd have to shuffle sideways up to the stock room if she needed to get something :D

Advertisement