Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yea, still broken as ****

Options
  • 01-11-2013 11:43am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my specs are:

i5 2500k @ stock
    8 GB RAM
    2 X 1GB 6950's in Crossfire
    Mechanical hard disk

Even with everything on "low" the performance wasn't good. I have 3 monitors, it doesn't really like this at all (as I suspected cause the Beta almost shat itself trying to figure out what to do). I can set it to be full-screen on the middle one (1080p), but I can't get it to 1920X1080 "windowed" mode so I can see what's on the other monitors. So, like the Beta, I'm going to have to disable AMD Eyefinity and see if I can get better results. So much for that "works better with AMD" bullsht they have going on, I've been eyeing a 770 for a while now, this might mean I get it before Christmas.

Configuring controls: This is something that DICE are absolutely appallingly bad at. You couldn't even reset controls on the XBox version of BC2! Changing a key binding takes almost a full minute per key - the software totally shts itself when you do so. It attempted to import my key bindings from the beta, things were labelled as being my config but weren't. My mouse has become inverted - I don't know why, I never use an inverted mouse (but I do use an inverted thumb-stick on my Controller which was plugged in cause I'd been playing Batman). I switched the mouse to "inverted" and it was fine in everything except vehicles.

So very disappointed in this so far. The game itself looks like it's going to be a lot of fun, but when the software is this broken, there's no point in even trying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

forget about eyefinity on it..I'm runnng with 2x 6950's crossfire with i5-4670k @stock and it runs fine for me @ 1080p.
    Yeah the controls suck...joystick support is fúcking awful and its obvious DICE don't give a **** about pc owners and only the console gen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The game is unplayable with this mouse inversion stuff going on, so I'm probably just not going to play it till next week after some patches have come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I can't believe your having a go at a brand new game because your 3 year old cards can't run the game in Eyefinity. Even at 1080p windowed there is a huge amount of work to spread the image over a much larger screen size out multiple displays.

Also crossfire does not equal 2x performance. It and SLI have been a waste of money from the start and still are. A single card gives far more cost/performance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Shiminay wrote: »
    The game is unplayable with this mouse inversion stuff going on, so I'm probably just not going to play it till next week after some patches have come out.

This is something wrong on your end, I have not seen or even heard of this issue from anybody else. You hardly still have the inverted controller plugged in do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I think Shiminay needs to retire that avatar. You cant be part of the PC Master race by giving up so easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Blazer wrote: »
    forget about eyefinity on it..I'm runnng with 2x 6950's crossfire with i5-4670k @stock and it runs fine for me @ 1080p.
    Yeah the controls suck...joystick support is fúcking awful and its obvious DICE don't give a **** about pc owners and only the console gen.

on the pc?

I'm just sick of poor software (and I'm a former software dev myself, so I understand that it's not the dev's fault that they didn't have enough time to finish). There are a lot of great games out there I can be playing that don't cause hair tearing frustration because <reasons>. I don't want to run the game across 3 screens, just one, but if the game can't work out how to do that properly (like every other game can) then its the thing at fault and not my setup. I don't expect 2 cards to be double the performance, but I do expect that they should be able to run the game reasonably well (> 30fps) with all details turned off (I don't care about that sort of thing anyway).

I have limited time and even less patience for faffing about with things that don't work properly. I'll just hit up my Steam catalogue until I start hearing that BF4 is more stable. It's not the end of the world, but it is disappointing as I was looking forward to the game. No one's died :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

You sure your cards are running okay? I'm running on a single 6950 and maintaining around 60fps at 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Without the eyefinity/crossfire driver being released your basically trying to run bf4 eyefinity on one 6950. When they finally release the driver you should see big performance gains.
    This would never work too well. I remember I couldnt even run bf3 like that with one.
    The game is really buggy with key binding though. I said this else so lazy and just cut/pasting :P
    "Bf4 is unplayable for me because I cant use ijkl for movement (leftie). IF I try press j and k together it freezes all controls until you let go of one of the buttons."

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Since last night, my game has crashed about 10 times now. I'm running at about 80-90 FPS on high settings @ 1080p with an i5 3570k, GTX 670, 8 GB Ram and Win 7. If it doesn't crash I'm going from 90 FPS to 50 FPS alot. Def more patches required for this, so far, I'm not too happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I have 2 HD 6950's (unlocked and overclocked) with an i5-2500k 4.5 GHz and at 2am I got to play about 20 mins just on the test range to make sure it was working and configure it. For me it was very smooth at 1440p with all settings high, no AA. That might change on a 64 player server but so far, so good, I will let you know this evening.

Also what driver version are you on? Version 13.11 beta 8 gives big performance gains in crossfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Shiminay are you using display fusion? Even though I disabled my second screen my FPS was dropping down to 6 or 7 at times until i quit out of it all together now everything is running great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sorry bro, but I think your on your own with this one.

You should know yourself that crossfire and SLI setups are always problems waiting to happen man, it's just not worth the effort.

Eventually gaming enthusiats will learn crossfire and SLI isn't worth the pain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Works swimmingly for me.

ok, so have updated to Beta 8 of 13.11. Somehow the Raptor Client decided to install itself at the same time - very not cool.

Disabled Eyefinity to get it working with full-screen on one monitor and ability to see my other 2 monitors. Catalyst Control Centre continues to be a total pile of bollox.

Mouse inversion - unplugging my controller fixed this - fked if I can figure that one out, but there you go. I guess I won't be flying my planes and helicopters that way.

I had to look up what display fusion is, but I can confirm I'm definitely not running it :)

ok, so have updated to Beta 8 of 13.11. Somehow the Raptor Client decided to install itself at the same time - very not cool.

Disabled Eyefinity to get it working with full-screen on one monitor and ability to see my other 2 monitors. Catalyst Control Centre continues to be a total pile of bollox.

Mouse inversion - unplugging my controller fixed this - fked if I can figure that one out, but there you go. I guess I won't be flying my planes and helicopters that way.

I had to look up what display fusion is, but I can confirm I'm definitely not running it :)
    raptor installs if you run recommended install and you have the option to un-select it the other way. I think amd added it to compete with nvidias game config software.

OK, so the mouse (Logitech G700) decided to invert itself again - I can't figure this one out at all. I'll have to see if I can find another mouse and see if it's hardware or software driven.

But I'm done with this for tonight. I know there are thousands of people out there having no problems at all (and I really do hope you're enjoying it), but there are also thousands who are and they can't all be wrong.

Given that I've been sent my copy to review the game for Boards, I can only say that the official Boards.ie recommendation for Battlefield 4 is don't buy this game. At all. Unfortunately there is no other way to explain to companies and publishers that they have to give the dev teams enough time to fix the bugs and make sure there's a proper release. The release date for this game was more than likely set about 12 months ago and that means that regardless of what state it's in, it has to go and that's that. We, as gamers/consumers/fans need to say "this isn't acceptable anymore" and not pre-ordering and not buying things that are unfinished is the only way we can effectively do that.

*Maybe* wait till they release their first DLC as maybe they'll have stabilised things - I don't know...

As an aside, I've been talking to a friend who works in Activision about Ghosts these last couple of days and I think I may just give CoD a serious look this whole mess has pissed me off so much. I haven't played a CoD game since CoD 4/Modern Warfare with the exception of some split-screen fun at a friends on his XBox.

Anyway, as I said, I'm probably not going to come back to this tonight, I could be engaged in much more worthwhile activities like sticking a fork in my leg repeatedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Shiminay, why not complete the single player?

By my account and others it is not as taxing on the system requirements as multiplayer.

You unlock the M412 Rex, Shank, Machete, QBZ-95-1, P90, and the M249

It took me 6 hours to unlock everything, finished the game and replayed the last mission twice after. It is an unforgettable corridor shooter with poor writing, poor characters and for the most part, generic set pieces.
    I turned off the subtitles and everytime Irish was talking, I was quoting Omar from The Wire, I spent most of the game making up my own story on what was happening. "Lesson here, 'Bey: You come at the king, you best not miss"

The last of my new parts will be delivered Monday. I'm itching for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It is an unforgettable corridor shooter with poor writing, poor characters and for the most part, generic set pieces.

What makes it unforgettable? I can't imagine thinking about it again once completed.

• Advertisement

It is an unforgettable corridor shooter with poor writing, poor characters and for the most part, generic set pieces.

Absolutely spot on. Im slaving my way through SP at the moment and I'm telling you, I'll never go near it again,

Complete horsesh*te,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Since the multi-player was so broken I decided to give the campaign a go. For the past hour I have played tough the same ****ty sequence 15 times
    (it's the bit when you first board the Titan aircraft carrier up untill you come across the sailors trapped under the grate)
    at which time I get the error "DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung". I've tried all the fixes I can find online to no avail and i'm ****ing pissed off at this stage.

I'm just going to forget about this game for a couple of weeks until they fix this broken mess.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

sink wrote: »
    Since the multi-player was so broken I decided to give the campaign a go. For the past hour I have played tough the same ****ty sequence 15 times
    (it's the bit when you first board the Titan aircraft carrier up untill you come across the sailors trapped under the grate)
    at which time I get the error "DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung". I've tried all the fixes I can find online to no avail and i'm ****ing pissed off at this stage.

I'm just going to forget about this game for a couple of weeks until they fix this broken mess.

I had the same issue. I ended up deleting my Battlefield 4 folder in Documents and that fixed it for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Absolutely spot on. Im slaving my way through SP at the moment and I'm telling you, I'll never go near it again,

Complete horsesh*te,

The SP is awful, wtf were they thinking? Terrible story, bland gameplay, and the shocking scripting.

So many times I've been pinned in by NPCs during the terrible dialogue and been treated a nice view from inside the models. I've ended up were enemies spawn, I've been killed by enemies that cannot be hit because they're clipping through stuff.

Why even bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

tuxy wrote: »
    What makes it unforgettable? I can't imagine thinking about it again once completed.

I meant forgettable, god it was bad

5uspect wrote: »
    The SP is awful, wtf were they thinking? Terrible story, bland gameplay, and the shocking scripting.

So many times I've been pinned in by NPCs during the terrible dialogue and been treated a nice view from inside the models. I've ended up were enemies spawn, I've been killed by enemies that cannot be hit because they're clipping through stuff.

Why even bother?

Exactly, why bother?

I've a feeling the developers put the vast majority of their efforts into multiplayer as thats exactly where people are going to judge them.

I'll never go near campaign mode again now I've finished it but Im easily gonna rock up well over a hundred hours on MP.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They could have made SP so much fun. Forget the naff story, silly characters and Michael Bay splosins everywhere. Just reuse the MP maps and have a few missions with bots not unlike L4D. It could even be co-op. Same silly universe as the MP but you have a more canned experience but not a heavily scripted mess.

Think horde style defend modes, sniper missions, attack heli gunner missions, stealthy sneak across a map type scenarios. Basically what co-op in BF3 could have been but you can chose to play solo or with a few friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Hasn't been so bad since I started, but I've now had my 3rd crash in about 10mins... Incredibly frustrating.

Edit : Make that 4 in 12mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Dice were Trialing a new sever side patch just there on one server and it seemed to fix most crashing issues but i didnt play shanghai so that map is up in the air

so hopefully it will be rolled out tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So my specs are:

i5 2500k @ stock
    8 GB RAM
    2 X 1GB 6950's in Crossfire
    Mechanical hard disk

Even with everything on "low" the performance wasn't good.
    I'm running a Q9550, 8GB RAM, a 1GB 4870, and a SSD. Runs smoothly at around 30 to 70 FPS with everything on low.

From what you describe, and from what I've heard people comment on, I'm going to blame your CPU. Seems the game doesn't like some quad core CPUs (mine is fine), but maybe you should try limiting the cores.

Example (dude in video also has an i5);

Advertisement