Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet tanks refilling slowly

Options
  • 01-11-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi All - need some help / advice on a Charlesland plumbing question please!

I'm in one of the 2 bed townhouses. Since yesterday morning both my upstairs and downstairs toilet tanks are taking about 10+ mins to refill and the water is only trickling in really really slowly. The pressure is fine on all the taps, the shower etc. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem and if there is anything I can do (before calling a plumber!) to remedy?

Any tips very much appreciate - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

A partial blockage on the outlet from the attic tank feeding your toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I changed the ball-float and valve on one of my cisterns recently - fills very quickly now. The old valve mechanism became inflexible over time so water couldn't flow well.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭the Lamb Post

I've had a similar problem on numerous occasions and it's turned out to be just a matter of replacing the rubber shut off ring which is behind the top of the lever arm on the ball cock.

As the cistern fills it rises the ball which forces the arm to close the rubber ring inside the top fitting. The rubber ring is basically worn, or in one of my cases became rigid, which stop it from opening allowing water into the cistern.

They are only a couple of €'s in woodies and is a job you could do yourself if you know your way around the fittings. If not, it should just cost the price of the labour for about an hour.

Hope this helps, and it's just this simple issue and not something more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It is unusual that the valves in both cisterns fail at the same time (yesterday). But try replacing 1 of them first and see if it cures it.
    If both toilets are on same feed it could still be a blockage in that.
    When you cure it come back and let us know what the problem was as it would be helpful to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

sounds like you got some grit was coming into you water line (it normally blocks up the small white cone inside the ballcock)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Wayne_M

eleMental wrote: »
    Hi All - need some help / advice on a Charlesland plumbing question please!

I'm in one of the 2 bed townhouses. Since yesterday morning both my upstairs and downstairs toilet tanks are taking about 10+ mins to refill and the water is only trickling in really really slowly. The pressure is fine on all the taps, the shower etc. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem and if there is anything I can do (before calling a plumber!) to remedy?

Any tips very much appreciate - thanks!

I noticed this in the main bathroom about 3weeks ago. Opened up the cistern, no obvious issues apart from just a trickle of water coming it. Seemed to resolve itself over a couple of days, I just assumed it was a pressure issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Wayne_M wrote: »
    I noticed this in the main bathroom about 3weeks ago. Opened up the cistern, no obvious issues apart from just a trickle of water coming it. Seemed to resolve itself over a couple of days, I just assumed it was a pressure issue.

It wasn't a pressure issue - as the water pressure in most of your house is based on a gravity feed from the water tank in your attic.

Most likely problem, as someone else mentioned, was probably dirt getting into the water and then clogging up the small valves on the cistern. Easy to open and and clean - JUST DONT DROP THE RUBBER SEAL - which I have done :o

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

sorry for the delay in posting the resolution, i only had the issue checked and fixed by a plumber today. first prize to the_Lamb_Post who got it spot on.

turns out theres a washer / black rubber thing inside the top fitting on the left (its green in my cistern) that the refill tap comes out of. this had completely worn out / hardened over the years causing the water to not flow through fully. coincedentally the exact same thing happened to both the upstairs and downstairs loos at the same time (it may have been happening gradually over time and i just didnt notice?)

anyway it was relatively easy to fix. 2 washers purchased in woodies for a few €, turn the cold water mains off using the blue tap in the hotpress (very important!!), disconnect the flusher piece to take the lid off and use a wrench / gripper to open up the fitting, pop out the washer and replace. it wouldntve been something id've done myself but anyone with a bit of plumbing / DIY experience should be well able to do it (and save a bit of money too). both cisterns are now refilling in under a minute - its like new loos!!!

hope thats of some help for anyone else with the same problems and thanks again everyone for the advice and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Hardening of washers does happen over time, but this usually means that the washer doesn't seal and actually lets water leak. This most often happens in the cold water tank in the attic and usually manifests itself in a dribble of water through the overflow pipe which comes from the gutter/roof. Now, an apartment/townhouse setup might well be different - I'm just a homeowner in a normal 3 bed semi:)
    It's possible that the washers in your toilets have hardened and crumbled and a bit of debris has blocked the flow, but it's iffy that both happened at the same time. More likely some dirt has travelled down from the cold water tank and blocked the valves. The process of changing the washers would clear the blockage. This is just one of those household situations where the labour cost of not knowing what the problem is far exceeds the material cost of the solution (a couple of euro). I hope your plumber was gentle with his/her bill;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭the Lamb Post

eleMental wrote: »
    first prize to the_Lamb_Post who got it spot on

Cool.... what did I win :D:D

• Advertisement

good to hear its sorted - case closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I'm in a two bed in the wood

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I have the same issue - but my toilet is integrated into tiles. There is a three piece section of tiles I can take off to access sink trap etc but I can't get access to the cistern. Is there anything I am missing, or is it a case of destroying tiles to get in?

Also, after the washing machine runs, or the shower, the cistern fills up immediately

There should be an access to the top of the cistern. Again with 3 tiles but siliconed into place. Check for the flexible sealant instead of grouting!

Aha! One edge is silicone and the metal lip has a gap 3 tiles in. However the tiles are grouted at that point so will have to break through. That's fairly simple, though, yeah? Although it's grouted at the back too so we'll see how that goes

Once I'm in I am clueless too so might be back to ya!

Siliconed on the top for the sides and rear (right at the wall tiles), and the front edge is siliconed under the stainless steel trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

astrofluff wrote: »
    Siliconed on the top for the sides and rear (right at the wall tiles), and the front edge is siliconed under the stainless steel trim.

Hi astro.ours is the same white silicone seal..its a ridiculous way of accessing the cistern..if you did have to cut through silicone and remove tiles its never going to go back the same way. .would it be easier to go through from the front bedroom wall for repairs. .as you would only be replacing the slab?

Done and dusted - the tiles went back fine, they are backed by quite a thick board and the gap between the tiles means there's room to wiggle a bit. It's all lined up fine and resealed fine too :) oh and the toilet diaphragm washer was the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

I put Vaseline on the black rubber washers and it seams to be doing the job so far...
    I had checked woodies but couldn't find the correct washer..

Chadwicks (at the plumbing counter) will have the diaphragm washer - expensive at about a €1 each. :)

I got one in woodies for 1.19.

• Advertisement

I got one in woodies for 1.19.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

My push button toilet recently started filling very slowly (hours), now its taking days to fill, can someone advise which part in the attached picture might be causing the problem and advise on a fix for it?? Thanks...`

v9k6z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Sounds like a bit of dirt is blocking the inflow valve. Have a look at this youtube video and see if that might be the problem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVnF-1Reonc

(PM also sent)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Thanks Oldlegs, ill give that ago over the weekend and see how i get on.......

Advertisement