Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everton v Spurs: Sun @ 13:30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm happy with a draw.(kinda). No other team have beaten Everton at home in 2013 in the league

I was a little dissapointed with Soldado today, I noticed when he's the only one up and a high ball come in he doesn't even bother jumping for the ball, just lets defender head the ball unapposed. He could put in some effort in these situations. Saying that I still prefer him to Defoe and believe he will get better with better service. Spurs will get better as the season goes on but we do need a left back and another striker. Today was a bit like the chelsea game, Good first half and forgetable 2nd.

I'l remain happy if we can stay six or seven points off top(or better) until the window opens. We have a few important players to come back from injury and some new players to really show what they can do.

Playing Man U, City and Pool shortly will be telling.

I'm optimistic about the season ahead but not fully convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Soldado clearly fancies eriksen over holtby. He raised his game when eriksen came on

Townsend needs a talking to. He thinks he is the new bale and that simply isn't the case.

Don't think he delivered one ball with his right foot today and just dribbled around until he lost it

I think his head has swelled and a few games on the bench would do him good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭abff

The amount of negativity on this thread is sickening. I've been a Tottenham fan for 47 years and I remember a lot of hard times. There were many seasons where the team was languishing in mid table and quite a few where we flirted with relegation.

We now have a very strong squad with great potential and the impatience shown by some fans is disheartening. No wonder AVB has to go on the TV and criticise the fans if this forum typifies the mindset of our so called fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

abff wrote: »
    The amount of negativity on this thread is sickening. I've been a Tottenham fan for 47 years and I remember a lot of hard times. There were many seasons where the team was languishing in mid table and quite a few where we flirted with relegation.

We now have a very strong squad with great potential and the impatience shown by some fans is disheartening. No wonder AVB has to go on the TV and criticise the fans if this forum typifies the mindset of our so called fans.

I'm a fan for over thirty years so I know what your talking about but we are a better team now and it is understandable to have higher expectations. Spend a few bob more in January and we will have a team to challenge for honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

abff wrote: »

Nail on the head right there im actually shocked at the negativity on here myself.
    4th in the league after 10 games and 7 clean sheets il take that all day long over banging in 4 goals and getting beat 5-4 like we did for most of the 90's balls to that..COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I dont think anyone is moaning at results or where we are in the league.. We are not playing well and dont look like winning games.. we are genuinely afraid its all going tits up. I think we'd all take these ugly games and win the league or finish in the CL places..but we look in trouble and the next 6 games are really important. If we dont improve we will drop right off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

good start,points on the board,when united do it they say sign of a great team to win when they're not playing well.id still have lennon on the right and townsend on the left though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Townsend frustrating today, instead of playing a quick ball he waits until the opportunity for him to beat another player is gone and then plays a poor predictable ball or has a shot. As I said during the week he should be benched, observe the game and learn. Lennon wasted on the left.

I would like to see one of Sandro/Dembele holding and Eriksen & Holtby both starting, Paulinho sacrificed. Not comparing us to Barca but they play Busquets holding and Xavi/Iniesta supporting the striker from centre mid. Soldado wants the ball on the ground, play the triangles and feed him!

Great game for our defence, Super Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Lloris made a critical save after his injury, Friedel probably would have been too slow to react. He's our best signing in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

6 goals from open play in 10 league games. No matter how its dressed up this is terrible. We could have played until xmas and we wouldn't have scored yesterday.

We are set up to play counter attack no matter who the opponent. Its pathetic. We were far superior than Everton yesterday so I don't agree a point is a good result in that scenario, ever.

What exactly does Paulinho contribute? Apart from missing chances? Does he ever play a killer pass [Soldado v Villa aside] or look like taking a chance? He was clean through yesterday and passed it to Lennon who was in a worse position. :rolleyes:

I would play Lennon and Townsend on their natural side and bring Ade back at this stage- Thats how desperate its become. No question of effort from the lads either they are playing out of their socks, we just have become a fitness first side and lack a bit of talent. Not sure what we do about it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Still amazed by how Lloris was allowed to stay on the field. Surely there was a duty of care from the Spurs medical staff. There could have been all sorts of internal damage. He should have been taken off straight away and taken for a cat scan.

golfball37 wrote: »
    6 goals from open play in 10 league games. No matter how its dressed up this is terrible. We could have played until xmas and we wouldn't have scored yesterday.

We are set up to play counter attack no matter who the opponent. Its pathetic. We were far superior than Everton yesterday so I don't agree a point is a good result in that scenario, ever.

What exactly does Paulinho contribute? Apart from missing chances? Does he ever play a killer pass [Soldado v Villa aside] or look like taking a chance? He was clean through yesterday and passed it to Lennon who was in a worse position. :rolleyes:

we were superior to everton for 45 mins, they ran the show in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I'd have taken a point before the game so can't be too unhappy. Although after completly dominating the game for the first 45, I was angry we hadn't made the most of it and gone in at HT ahead.
    Everton improved in the 2nd half but I always thought that if there was to be a goal, it would be us. In saying that, once we get in to the good position, we don't seem to have the killer edge just yet, if we could find it, we'd be very dangerous.

Need to beat Newcastle going in to the 2 very tough Manchester games.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I'd have taken a point before the game so can't be too unhappy. Although after completly dominating the game for the first 45, I was angry we hadn't made the most of it and gone in at HT ahead.
    Everton improved in the 2nd half but I always thought that if there was to be a goal, it would be us. In saying that, once we get in to the good position, we don't seem to have the killer edge just yet, if we could find it, we'd be very dangerous.

Need to beat Newcastle going in to the 2 very tough Manchester games.

yes, win on super sunday is a must. Newcastle will try and play against us hopefully so that should give us the edge

If they park the bus though we are in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Wonder would we need to switch to a more attacking 4-4-2 formation in our home games anyway, with sandro/dembele/paulino holding mid and erikson/holtby/ attacking mid with Defoe or Ade up front with soldado

golfball37 wrote: »

My sentiment exactly, I'm still unconvinced by him and yet he appears to be the first midfielder on the team sheet. They were calling him the Brazilian Lampard but after he bottled that opportunity yesterday I'm not so sure.

For me what's wrong is almost obvious. We're relying on one midfielder "Erisken or Holtby" to conduct the entire orchestra. So when Holtby had the ball yesterday Everton just close down Soldado and the move breaks down or it gets passed to Townsend who cuts in a shoots.

Look at Arsenal (sorry:o) v Liverpool. Playing the lone striker but having Ozil, Cazorla and Rosicky moving around in behind him Liverpool couldn't cope. Why do we need two traditional wingers? Opposition just close us down on the wings and we have too little movement in the middle to do anything.

In the next game, if Sandro is starting Paulinho should be dropped and two from Eriksen/Holtby/Siggurdson should be in behind Soldado, creating triangles and space to move in to. It should be 4-1-4-1 not 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Look at Arsenal (sorry:o) v Liverpool. Playing the lone striker but having Ozil, Cazorla and Rosicky moving around in behind him Liverpool couldn't cope. Why do we need two traditional wingers? Opposition just close us down on the wings and we have too little movement in the middle to do anything.

I think that is why Lamela was brought in. He's not a winger, he constantly comes inside looking for the ball.

I wouldn't mind seeing Soldado up top with Lamela, Eriksen and Townsend (on the left) in behind him.

Lamela, Eriksen and Soldado could create a lot of chances together, while Townsend would provide an out-ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

i was living on an island for the last 2 months..
    just saw a newspaper...
    joint 2nd?
    Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

irishmover wrote: »
    Still amazed by how Lloris was allowed to stay on the field. Surely there was a duty of care from the Spurs medical staff. There could have been all sorts of internal damage. He should have been taken off straight away and taken for a cat scan.

Agree completely - I was amazed at the way Spur's medical staff went AWOL and allowed Lloris to decide he was OK to carry on, when he clearly wasn't! Sets an absolutely awful precedent for future concussion-type injuries.

Eriksen and Lamela/Holtby/Siggy in the middle has to be the way forward. Sandro is the only non attacking midfielder we need. Chelsea have Oscar and Hazard behind Torres, Arsenal have Cazorla and Ozil behind Giroud. We're pressing high up the pitch without the players on the pitch to play clever balls and find space. Good article here http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/03/tottenham

Enough of the joint 2nd stuff (:o:o:o) we're 4th! Don't get me wrong, some of our first half play yesterday was brilliant. We pressed well and Everton could barely hold onto the ball. And I don't think anyone is unhappy with our position but there is definitiely cause for concern that only two teams have scored as few goals from open play as us, Norwich and Crystal Palace. Plus our best chance yesterday was probably a penalty shout from Vertonghen.

With some players lacking form does AVB know his best 11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Agree completely - I was amazed at the way Spur's medical staff went AWOL and allowed Lloris to decide he was OK to carry on, when he clearly wasn't! Sets an absolutely awful precedent for future concussion-type injuries.

our medical staff brought a man back from the dead..
    think they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

bought another pig in a poke brazilian flare soldado unmarked header not even
    on target holtby a tryer

starskey77 wrote: »
    on target holtby a tryer

Is this english ?

Soldado is spanish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

On a positive note, Chiriches looked solid and settled yesterday. Not as many last ditch tackles as normally required.

On a positive note, Chiriches looked solid and settled yesterday. Not as many last ditch tackles as normally required.

yep, played very well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

i was living on an island for the last 2 months..
    just saw a newspaper...
    joint 2nd?
    Happy days!

And all without being able to score a goal from play
    our medical staff brought a man back from the dead..
    think they know what they're doing.

There was fcuk all wrong with him
    starskey77 wrote: »
    on target holtby a tryer

Ah here, leave it out..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hatch99 wrote: »
    There was fcuk all wrong with him

I think he meant Fabrice Muamba!

SuprSi wrote: »
    I think he meant Fabrice Muamba!

The clatter that lloris got was a tough one - big Lukaku had to go off cos he had a pain in his two foot wide thigh :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

4-1-4-1 , 4-3-3-3 , 4-5-1.

Jaysus last season in the same league with more or less the same teams we struggled early on with formations.

4-4-2 and all of a sudden results. IMO 4-4-2 works to a large extent in the premier league, it can be suicide in europe where slow build possession football wins out. avb needs to change the tactical set up for epl games.

when all fit. Lloris
    rose vlad verts walker
    sandro
    andros lennon
    eriksen
    soldado defoe

when messrs lamela,chadli,adebeyor hit any kind of form they could also play a significant part. capoue and younes when fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Chiriches has been good over the last few games. A nice ball player too

Advertisement