Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options
  • 01-11-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Career_Move is kicking us out of the novice thread!! So the time has come to look ahead to the next stage of our running careers for the class of DCM 2013

Similar to the thread last year started by Blockic here, we can use this to track our progress and identify what our next goals are.

Blockic has agreed to take over from Career_move so we are in great hands:D I'm sure he has great plans for us!

Hopefully, we can keep the majority of our group together to see how we are all progressing.

This will also hopefully stop us getting lazy over the winter! So few questions to start us off:

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)

Happy running!

This thread is for anyone who was active in the 2013 DCM novices thread / spreadsheet tracker at any stage as well as anyone who just ran their first marathon recently(not just DCM13) who would like to get involved with a group of people at the same stage training wise.

Training Log Spreadsheet
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AoaCGJk6gWtQdGI3TlI1SDVUNjlMSGRTX1VaMGtudUE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Anseo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

goal for me is to continue getting to run over the winter,going to start ramping up the miles for as long as it's enjoyable and get a good base before tackling DCM again next year and deciding what time to train for.
    defo going to continue taking part in bhaa races,a few pb's over the coming months would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slowandsteady

Would hope that I'll do Dublin again next year and use the learnings from this year. A few halfs in between. One race before Christmas either a 10km or the marathon cool down on Nov 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Fair Play shortstuff!. Don't have a plan just yet. Take it easy for a couple of weeks (I've a backlog of Indian food needs addressing and which I've earned :) I think and maybe start something to shed a few lbs. Did runkeepers "running for weight loss (free)" programme this time last year - nice combo of tempo runs/fartlek and regular runs is nice and varied. May pick that up again. Probably hack some of the rust off the bike and try and get a weekly swim in too. Probably a good idea to aim for something before DCM14 ? so might target a half M in the spring. Although they do a massive Parkrun in Malahide Castle near me which looks super fun so will probably hit that too. They used to zoom past me when I was doing my Hal Higdon programme for DCM13 and I always thought "follow me so the NEXT 25k and we'll talk!" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

well done Shortstuff!!!!
    Goals for me are to give 110% from now on. 100% obviously wasn't enough:(

I have such a hunger to improve it's not funny.

Want to run a big 5k pb in Santry in December (hoping that posting that here will make me work even harder) and then a good 10k and half marathon in Spring and DCM again to make massive improvements.
    Had thought about a spring marathon but was advised against it and that working on my speed for the moment was the way to go so going to go with that advice.
    Love the longer weekend runs and want to continue running at least 6 days a week so hope to consistently run 40-50 mpw over the winter and stay injury free.
    Great to get this thread started so soon, as I for one want to move on from DCM 2013 asap...

• Advertisement

fair play ososlo,6 days running a week is a big commitment,what sort of weekly mileage were you doing this year?
    don't know if you've ever run the 10k in the k club but if not you should consider it for your PB attempt,i got a PB at it this year and it gave me great confidence for the rest of the year.

ooter wrote: »
    fair play ososlo,6 days running a week is a big commitment,what sort of weekly mileage were you doing this year?
    don't know if you've ever run the 10k in the k club but if not you should consider it for your PB attempt,i got a PB at it this year and it gave me great confidence for the rest of the year.

have run 6 days a week for the last 9 months or so. The number of days running is no issue, the number of miles per week is no issue, the speed is the issue...
    K club sounds great next year. Have read great things about it. See you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

V excited about the new thread!

I've learned by experience not to fix goals too firmly in my mind, and I'm going to have keep running around my mental work life.
    So hoping to buy a new bike to replace the one stolen by gurriers at the end of August - cycle/run muting - that would give me between 24 and 30 miles a week Monday to Friday - and would also give me some cross training (I def felt I was running better when I was cycling too).
    Amn't sure about goal races yet but like Ososlo might concentrate on the shorter distances for a couple of months - love the Parkrun 5ks - and I've a PB I've been chasing since January!
    Spring marathon is on the cards - I need motivation to keep my mileage up!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'd like to join in!

Goals...
    After nearly 6mths off injured I'm only a couple of physio visits off starting a walk/run programme to get back on the road again. My main goal for 2014 is to relax about my running a bit, races aren't so important & I just want to run, not get injured and wok towards DCM14.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Like Ososlo, running is not the problem SPEED is! I think I took the LSR, easy runs a bit too literally! So that's my goal for the next while, looking for pbs starting with 5km & work my way up to 1/2 mara in the spring, probably the bohermeen 1/2 which was my 1st ever half!

I went for a swim today and remembered how much I enjoy it so hoping to incorporate this as well as a bit of cycling. Thinking of starting a Pilates class at the end if the month for some core strengthening:)

I want to join a club as well, which will hopefully help with the speed work! Wouldn't hurt to have some company for the long runs next year either:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'm in!

Next up to close off the year is the Aware 10k in Dec. Enjoyed my 10ks this year and made some progress, each one being a pb. Taking next week also off running, so will do some training for this 10k after that.

For 2014, I've a number of goals. My training up to now has been completely unstructured, so I'll be following some sort of plan for the first time. I've been running three times per week, I'd like to bring that up to four when training for specific races - and instead of just "going for a run" as I did up to now, I want to follow a plan to improve both my speed and endurance.

Working out how to fuel up on long runs is a key goal. I was totally unprepared as regards nutrition for the DCM, I knew it beforehand tbh. Can get away with that on a 10 mile, even a HM, but not for a marathon. One 500ml bottle of carb drink is not enough for a marathon as I've found out, so working out a carb strategy and following it strictly on every long run is a goal for 2014 for me.

As regards races, I think 2014 is very much a year of unfinished business for me for HM and marathon. Did Bohermeen HM last year in 1:58, so will be training for that from prob Christmas to get under 1:55 and hopefully closer to 1:50. My definite list of races for 2014 will be (prob one or two others also):

- Bohermeen HM
    - Summerhill 10k
    - Terenure 5 mile
    - Dunshaughlin 10k
    - Bohermeen 5k
    - Bob Heffernan 5k
    - Dublin race series

Also hope to improve my 5k and 10k times (so sub 23 mins and sub 47 mins). DCM 14 is a distinct possibility already, which considering on Monday I swore "never again", means I'm probably 99% sure I will do it again! Would love to improve substantially on my time from Monday which I was a bit miffed about. Had I got my 4:30 or under I don't think I'd have been as eager, but I do feel it's unfinished business now, and I'm certain I can do better with the right training and fuelling.

Will be great to follow this thread with you lot, have had the post marathon blues since Tuesday, so this gives me something to work towards. Would be good to arrange the odd training session together sometime (Phoenix Park maybe?) to meet up and put faces to the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hi, great to see this set up. It might stop the withdrawal symptoms from the mentored thread!
    My plan is ( as I sit here with a glass of wine) to start the recovery plan next week, looking forward to this.
    Run the local 10km on Dec 8th- I ran a P B in a10km 3 weeks ago, is it too soon to be targeting another 1?
    I want to try and improve speed in 2014 I ran very few races this year .
    I intend to run River Moy half in May and possibly DCM 2014 .
    I run 5 days a week and hope to cover about 26 miles a week. Any one any advise on most beneficial way to divide them?

PauloMN wrote: »
    - Bohermeen HM
    - Summerhill 10k
    - Terenure 5 mile
    - Dunshaughlin 10k
    - Bohermeen 5k
    - Bob Heffernan 5k
    - Dublin race series

Would be good to arrange the odd training session together sometime (Phoenix Park maybe?) to meet up and put faces to the names.

Going by your goal races we might live fairly close to eachother if you fancy running company when we've recovered from DCM... I also had aimed for 4:30 but fell short (by a lot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2chances

Hello all,

Hope you don't mind a very late intruder to the group. First time to post on boards (just registered) and only became aware of the mentored novices thread about 2 weeks ago. For those 2 weeks I have read and enjoyed each and every post and found it all more than helpful and indeed inspiring in the days leading up to last Monday. I am now a marathon runner (feels great to write that down) and look forward to planning and plotting the next steps in the coming weeks and months.

My running journey began with the operation transformation 5k in February of last year. Since then, it has been numerous 10k runs,a few prolonged bouts of injury and 3 half marathons all leading to the big one on Monday. Made it around in 4hrs 53mins and without hesitation declared that I wanted to come back fitter, stronger and faster next year.

To all who completed dcm 2013 as a novice last Monday, hearty congratulations. It wasn't easy. it will never be easy, but that's the attraction. Here's hoping that goals are reached, injuries are few and far between and above all, everyone stays healthy and well enough to enjoy their running in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

Great Shortstuff, count me in. Haven't decided on any particular races yet but want to do some speed work and target shorter distances for the next few months. Would love to do some core work and maybe even loose a few lbs. DCM 14 hopefully. Back into a few short runs early next week. Have any of ye done anything yet.? My legs are still v sore so going to take it easy & enjoy crap food & wine for the weekend!

Zaram wrote: »
    Great Shortstuff, count me in. Haven't decided on any particular races yet but want to do some speed work and target shorter distances for the next few months. Would love to do some core work and maybe even loose a few lbs. DCM 14 hopefully. Back into a few short runs early next week. Have any of ye done anything yet.? My legs are still v sore so going to take it easy & enjoy crap food & wine for the weekend!

I had a couple of brisk walks, would have loved to run today but was sensible, early next week hopefully.

Zaram wrote: »

No running yet, have managed 3 5km walks & a 750m swim. Legs feel pretty good today, stiffen up over night but loosen out quite quickly. Thinking Sunday or Monday to start Hal hidgons post mara plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Nothing set in stone yet and a lot will depend on where/when I get a job. In the short term I'm looking to get into a routine for strength work. Neglected this far too much during the DCM training cycle and if I'm planning to run higher mileage, I'll have to put in strength work to make sure I make it to the line.

In terms of races, I'm thinking the Limerick Marathon and Dublin Marathon will be my goal races for 2014. Having gone to college in UL, I would love to run a marathon around the campus and city. Hopefully then return to Dublin for my first attempt at sub 3. Who knows if that's possible as it'll depend on how my body responds to the coming training cycles. It seems the first attempt at sub 3 can often end in failure (but with a lot learned), so hopefully I'll be in a position to take out sub 3 at my home marathon in Tralee in 2015.

Will be getting in plenty of other races along the way and hope to bang out a sub 90 half and sub 40 10K in the first half of the 2014.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Going by your goal races we might live fairly close to eachother if you fancy running company when we've recovered from DCM... I also had aimed for 4:30 but fell short (by a lot!)

Sure, we seem to have similar times so might do us both good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Missed out on DCM this year through injury. Really want to do it next year, but at the same time, don't wanna get my heart set on it so much that if it went wrong again, I would give up running althogether.....coz that would be worse.

Planning on doing a 10K in December (somewhere) and tentatively targeting the Kildare half marathon at the end of April. So I'll probably follow a recognized training plan for that.

Also want to be a lot cleverer and more structured with my training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Ah! a new boards home :-)
    Hope everybody is keeping well .

I have yet decided what's next for me but have a few ideas in mind :
    - Do another marathon [ options for now are Belfast / Kildare and maybe DCM depending if my wife does it or not ]
    - Improve my 5k time , which I did last night with my running buddies : felt great to no longer hold back in fear of DCM injury so took 20 secs of my time
    - Improve my 10k PB , am considering the MO Run this month as this was my 1st ever 10k last year
    - Do a few HM next year

In terms of training, not really interested in strength training so will continue multiple weekly runs with a LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hello folks, congrats to you all on running the marathon on Monday! To those who achieved your goals well done and to those who may be a tad disappointed, don’t be. You ran a marathon and there is always the next one!

I’d like to give a special mention to career_move and thank her for the excellent job she done in mentoring you all this past 6 months.

So in the depths of a public house last Monday evening, somehow the legend that is menoscemo made me agree to help guide you all on your post-marathon journey over the next few months. I can’t quite remember! :D Meno said he will happily assist though! :P

I’m very much still a novice like yourselves having ran my first in DCM 2012, so I’m still pretty new to this game but I’m more than willing to pass on what knowledge I have gained in the past 18 months in the running world and hopefully guide you all to bigger and better things in 2014! We’ll be sure to get plenty of the more expert (old ;))posters in here too to pass on their experiences.

So hope you are all still resting for this week! Keep the feedback coming from questions in the opening post so I can get an idea of what you strive for going forward and get familiar with you all.
    From next week if your legs are feeling up to it you should start the HH Post Marathon Novice plan so you recover properly, I’d strongly advise no fast stuff for at least a couple weeks, all easy running slower than MP+10%.

You should start to look at entering a race in 4-6 weeks time as a recent marathon training block under your belt can lead to much improved times at shorter distances without specific training for that distance. By then you should be almost if not fully recovered from DCM.

The Waterford Half or the Jingle Bell 5km would be good options to name a couple (register quick before they sell out!)

After this we can look at putting some structure in place for to help you target some races in early 2014.

Any questions just shoot!

blockic wrote: »
    Hello folks, congrats to you all on running the marathon on Monday! To those who achieved your goals well done and to those who may be a tad disappointed, don’t be. You ran a marathon and there is always the next one!

I’d like to give a special mention to career_move and thank her for the excellent job she done in mentoring you all this past 6 months.

So in the depths of a public house last Monday evening, somehow the legend that is menoscemo made me agree to help guide you all on your post-marathon journey over the next few months. I can’t quite remember! :D Meno said he will happily assist though! :P

I’m very much still a novice like yourselves having ran my first in DCM 2012, so I’m still pretty new to this game but I’m more than willing to pass on what knowledge I have gained in the past 18 months in the running world and hopefully guide you all to bigger and better things in 2014! We’ll be sure to get plenty of the more expert (old ;))posters in here too to pass on their experiences.

So hope you are all still resting for this week! Keep the feedback coming from questions in the opening post so I can get an idea of what you strive for going forward and get familiar with you all.
    From next week if your legs are feeling up to it you should start the HH Post Marathon Novice plan so you recover properly, I’d strongly advise no fast stuff for at least a couple weeks, all easy running slower than MP+10%.

You should start to look at entering a race in 4-6 weeks time as a recent marathon training block under your belt can lead to much improved times at shorter distances without specific training for that distance. By then you should be almost if not fully recovered from DCM.

The Waterford Half or the Jingle Bell 5km would be good options to name a couple (register quick before they sell out!)

After this we can look at putting some structure in place for to help you target some races in early 2014.

Good to have you on board, (pity I didnt meet you in McGrattans on Monday, was there for a few hours myself)! Looking forward to getting back out training now again! :)

I was kind of half thinking about the Waterford HM.....but then worried it might be a bit soon for that distance? You reckon it's a good idea? Id love to get another HM under the belt before Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What about the stook 10m? ;)

Good man Blockic for steeping up to the coaching plate!!! You're the perfect man for the job, a great example of how to progress from a first marathon.

menoscemo wrote: »
    What about the stook 10m? ;)

Good man Blockic for steeping up to the coaching plate!!! You're the perfect man for the job, a great example of how to progress from a first marathon.

Oops! Forgot my own race!! :o Stook 10 is also a great option! ;)

More details here *Shameful plug

rob w wrote: »
    I was kind of half thinking about the Waterford HM.....but then worried it might be a bit soon for that distance? You reckon it's a good idea? Id love to get another HM under the belt before Xmas.

Waterford half is ideal for after Dublin, a few of us done it last year and I had a 4min PB.

Fantastic organisation and race with a serious amount of food after, like Stook of course! ;)

Waterford half is ideal for after Dublin, a few of us done it last year and I had a 4min PB.

Fantastic organisation and race with a serious amount of food after, like Stook of course! ;)

Sounds good, was looking it up the other day. Might put a bit more thought into it then!

I’d strongly advise no fast stuff for at least a couple weeks

that's me out of the bhaa race next week so.:(

spent a very enjoyable day watching the running and cycling bit of a Triathlon in Lanzarote. Making me want to get back on the road asap.
    Seriously though, those costumes are very unforgiving:o and look a little bit gey too:D, especially when the men wear the 2 piece things with the teeny tiny shorts! They leave nothing to the imagination:eek: Saw a good few Irish out there too a lot of whom seemed to be suffering in the heat. Fair play to them. Can't be easy!

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking us on! My 1 st goal will be to improve my 10km time, will be doing a 10km in Dec. Im just wondering about the best way to divide up the miles per week over the winter, I can run 5 times a week, have 3 small kids so need to make the most of my time. What mileage should I be aiming for over winter? I followed Career_Moves marathon plan and came in just under 4 hrs which was my A goal. I also hope to do a half marathon in Spring.

Advertisement