Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Rainrunner wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I use a garmin with HR strap. I got my max HR from doing a hill session - I think I read it on boards actually.. I ran up the hill at best speed 3 times and on my third uphill sprint I got my HR..

Is this ok or is the more accurate method?

I always find the Garmin HR can have sudden spikes due to a number of factors so I wouldn't get overly concerned with the MHR hit in any session. Seem to recall readings of +200 bpms on odd easy run (while actually running easy)

With regards the test that would be a fairly accurate method I was just insuring you weren't making the common mistake of the 220-Age formula

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

ecoli wrote: »
    I always find the Garmin HR can have sudden spikes due to a number of factors so I wouldn't get overly concerned with the MHR hit in any session. Seem to recall readings of +200 bpms on odd easy run (while actually running easy)

With regards the test that would be a fairly accurate method I was just insuring you weren't making the common mistake of the 220-Age formula

Thanks again ecoli. I was a little apprehensive when I saw the 200 bpm because I ran the session at a 5k pace and felt good. Definitely didn't feel like I was about to blow up or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Rainrunner wrote: »
    Thanks again ecoli. I was a little apprehensive when I saw the 200 bpm because I ran the session at a 5k pace and felt good. Definitely didn't feel like I was about to blow up or anything.

Assuming it wasn't a faulty reading (typically the Garmin HRM will show a low figure then jump up temporarily then drop back down) it sounds like your Max HR is at least 210; probably a bit more.
    Don't be afraid to push yourself because of a HR reading in a future session. By definition it is impossible to go above your Max HR so there is nothing to worry about.

Having an accurate Max HR reading will allow you to set your HR zones for runs; by 'guessing' your max HR your zones will always be a bit inaccurate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Loved tonight's session :D
    Plan was for 20 mins w/u, 4 x 5mins at 1 hour race pace with recovery (minute or two) and 20 mins c/d.
    I don't know what my 1 hour race pace is so guessed it at just under 8:40 min/mile. I always tried to plan these types of sessions in the past so that I'd be running with the wind and on the flat or slight decline :o but tonight I decided to embrace the wind and the hills and actually sought them out!
    Really miss going to the Phoenix Park in the evenings but I just don't feel safe running there on my my own in the dark so have to do these sessions locally if Im running in the evening. Hard to see the path in places so had to watch footing.
    Reps were 8:36, 8:37, 8:42 and 8:40. Last 2 were partially uphill and into the wind. I sometimes feel I attack the hills too hard and tend to go up them faster than I run on the flat and pay for it at the top, but maybe need to go up a bit slower and make up the time on the flat.
    Happy out with this and felt I could have done them a little faster so maybe fitness isn't as bad as I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Assuming it wasn't a faulty reading (typically the Garmin HRM will show a low figure then jump up temporarily then drop back down) it sounds like your Max HR is at least 210; probably a bit more.
    Don't be afraid to push yourself because of a HR reading in a future session. By definition it is impossible to go above your Max HR so there is nothing to worry about.

Having an accurate Max HR reading will allow you to set your HR zones for runs; by 'guessing' your max HR your zones will always be a bit inaccurate...

Goodstuff Menoscemo, I got my max HR this time last year. I must try the hill session again to see how much it has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Well done on the sessions guys! This week has gone to pot, works been mental busy, only managing to take a 15min lunch break to make sure I get out in time for the last bus (that didn't even happen Tuesday:() so no time for a lunchtime run. Just about made it to circuit training last night which was a great workout but the only one since Sunday if I don't count running for the bus ha! Xmas party tomorrow night, back on the straight & narrow after that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

Thanks for the plan Blockic. Never did any form of speed training before but really enjoyed last nights session. Haven't raced a 5k in ages so was more going on feel. Intervals Felt comfortable maybe should have pushed myself harder. Also need to learn how to use interval settings on my garmin before next weeks session! Swapped 3 miles recovery run today for circuit/core strength class. Looking forward to seeing what you have n store for us next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

lovely run at the jingle bells today-took it VERY slowly but great to get out of a saturday morning!

8.5 miles around the Phoneix Park done at 10:30min/mile. Really enjoyable and perfect weather for running. Originally signed up for Jingle Bells but just didn't feel ready for racing yet so going to target Clonliffe Santry 5k in 2 weeks instead. Delighted with this week of training. A good solid week of 6 x runs with 2 sessions that I'm happy with, legs feel fantastic, and I got some medical stuff sorted out so everything's looking up:)
    Now to meet some real life Boardsies later. If any of you decide to pop in tonight that'd be great. I think I'm more nervous about tonight than I was about DCM:eek:
    How's everyone doing? It's fairly quiet around here lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Still injured.
    FINALLY went to physio last week, who confirmed inflamed ITB and advised sports massage, stretching - and no running. Missing it like mad at the mo, more than I even thought I would. Hope everyone getting on well! Enjoy tonight Ososlo - represent us well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    8.5 miles around the Phoneix Park done at 10:30min/mile. Really enjoyable and perfect weather for running. Originally signed up for Jingle Bells but just didn't feel ready for racing yet so going to target Clonliffe Santry 5k in 2 weeks instead. Delighted with this week of training. A good solid week of 6 x runs with 2 sessions that I'm happy with, legs feel fantastic, and I got some medical stuff sorted out so everything's looking up:)
    Now to meet some real life Boardsies later. If any of you decide to pop in tonight that'd be great. I think I'm more nervous about tonight than I was about DCM:eek:
    How's everyone doing? It's fairly quiet around here lately!

I'm always looking out for how you're getting on. Delighted to hear everything is sorted :D

Enjoy tonight! It'll be great.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm always looking out for how you're getting on. Delighted to hear everything is sorted :D

Enjoy tonight! It'll be great.

Cheers Laois_Man and good to see you're back to regular running yourself. Everything seems right in the world when one's running is going well :D
    Best of luck tomorrow. I know you'll pb no matter what but any particular time in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Cheers Laois_Man and good to see you're back to regular running yourself. Everything seems right in the world when one's running is going well :D
    Best of luck tomorrow. I know you'll pb no matter what but any particular time in mind?

Well much like yourself, I don't really feel ready to race and Im a bit nervous about it given the form I've been in during recent days and I won't be too surprised if I get to the start line and decide to pull out. I didn't even know about this race til the other day and only really signed up as a favor to someone.

If the legs are feeling OK, I'll be extremely happy with 24:59 and fairly satisfied with 25:59. Nothing to boast about I know - but Im a particularly **** short distancer. :|

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well much like yourself, I don't really feel ready to race and Im a bit nervous about it given the form I've been in during recent days and I won't be too surprised if I get to the start line and decide to pull out. I didn't even know about this race til the other day and only really signed up as a favor to someone.

If the legs are feeling OK, I'll be extremely happy with 24:59 and fairly satisfied with 25:59. Nothing to boast about I know - but Im a particularly **** short distancer. :|
    Ah don't pull out unless you really have to. It'll be great practice no matter what. I think with 5ks that a lot of it is learning how to bear pain as it's pretty much all out from the start. The more you practice feeling and dealing with that pain the easier it is to tolerate the next time. You know what to expect. It's a horrible distance to race really as you don't get a break but you'll improve loads if you practice in a race setting so use tomorrow for that at least.
    Your times are similar to mine. We're still pretty new to all of this so don't be saying that your short race times are sh1ght. We have loads of time to imrove ;) I'd hope to go 24:30 in Santry but as I'm only getting back to full fitness I'm not going to beat myself up if that doesn't happen in 2013. 2014 will be a different story:D

Think I'll join you at the Santry 5km Ososlo as I didn't do today's race either! Maybe we could manage to meet there:) Raging missing tonight, have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Managed the 12m in blockic's plan earlier - longest run since DCM and pretty sore afterward but still great to be building the miles up again. Badly needed after a lot of pre-emptive Xmas coconut snowballs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sorry for the delay guys. Been a busy weekend.

Here is the plan for this week.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    4m easy|Rest|Session|3m recovery|5m easy|Rest|12-14m easy|31-33m
    Session:

1.5 mile warm up

2 miles @HMP
    3 min recovery jog
    2 miles @HMP

1.5 mile cool down

Where HMP is Half-Marathon Pace. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Cheers Blockic.

Confession to make myself for last week. Got the 3 mid week runs in including the session (in which I felt a bit like vomiting!) but with the multiple xmas parties last weekend missed out the long runs. For the first time did not have the motivation by Sunday at 4 to head out and do the 20k. Unusual mindset in that it would take up 2 hours of the remaining weekend.

Feeling a bit guilty but also thinking it was nice to have a weekend off!

Anyway back to normal today..

On the upside apparently the 5k easy on Thursday put me at 1609.7km for the year and google tells me that is 1000 miles. Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭donnacha

blockic wrote: »

Session:

1.5 mile warm up

2 miles @HMP
    3 min recovery jog
    2 miles @HMP

1.5 mile cool down

Cheers Blockic. I think I'll be jumping onboard your program in the New Year, gonna try and keep up with the mileage as much as I can for now.
    Good luck to everyone that is following the program. Did a 8 mile LSR on Saturday which I loved though it was tougher than I was expecting :P

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

blockic wrote: »

Session:

1.5 mile warm up

2 miles @HMP
    3 min recovery jog
    2 miles @HMP

1.5 mile cool down

thanks Blockic, i have a confession i was very bad last week, only did 1 run of 4miles due to a few reasons but mainly due to laziness:(. this week i will be good and it has started good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

This week is going to be a challenge to fit in much running, got 4 miles easy done today by bringing my 3 year old to the track! Had to bring a picnic for him. Had 10km at weekend, ran 50.11, bit disappointed with the time but enjoyed it none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

I learned not to bring the kids with me running! - directly after the DCM on Mount St I told my 7 year old I'd run it to make him proud of his dad - his exact words "Dad you could sit on your ass on the couch, watching TV and eating donuts and I'd be proud of you" - lovely of course but I wish he'd told me in June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

saucyjack wrote: »
    I learned not to bring the kids with me running! - directly after the DCM on Mount St I told my 7 year old I'd run it to make him proud of his dad - his exact words "Dad you could sit on your ass on the couch, watching TV and eating donuts and I'd be proud of you" - lovely of course but I wish he'd told me in June :)
    Believe me if I had a choice I would not bring them, sure I took up running to get a break:P

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Believe me if I had a choice I would not bring them, sure I took uprunning to get a break:P

Same as that..only time I get to be on my own is when I'm running, silence is bliss!! I'm flipping injured again and have become a very cranky mammy!!

We'll done on the race, can't always get a PB unfortunately!

A few recovery miles tonight
    not recovering from any running but recovering from Saturday night still. Those guys sure know how to party:eek:

Back on track now and going to avoid any naughtiness between now and Clonliffee 5k on December 22nd. So it's clean living all the way with no alcohol, healthy food and no partying, and it's in print now so I have to stick with that :P

How's everyone getting on?
    Feel I'm clogging up this thread with my own training so maybe should start my own log. We'll see...
    Super session this afternoon in the Phoneix Park with the most amazing sunset ever.
    Plan was 2 miles w/u and 2 miles c/d with 10 x 90 secs at 5k pace (1 min rec). Putting 5k pace somewhere under 8 min/mile but just don't know what it is as it's so long since I ran that distance. 5k pace in March was 8:18.
    Reps were 7:58, 7:59, 8:03, 7:55, 7:51, 8:03, 7:50, 7:48, 7:45, 7:56 so a bit varied but it just felt natural to run those times due to inclines/wind/whatever, and I feel I needed to remind myself to slow down so maybe that's a good sign. As per usual, I go out too fast at the start of the rep and then take a back-seat and relax for the second half so more consistency is required from the start perhaps.
    Anyways, it was tough for the last 2, I won't deny that but still very manageable. Best thing of all was that I didn't retch once and never felt sick which is a first for me when I do any speedwork or races.
    I found I was much fresher on the c/d jog than I would normally be and c/d which was run by feel was much faster than usual.
    Would love to hear how you're all getting on! Any races before 2014? Shortstuff! we should definitely meet in Santry for the 5k!
    Very hard trying to avoid all those Christmas parties but I'm determined to stick with my plan and have a list of excuses ready for colleagues/friends etc to avoid temptation :D

Great running Osolso! Definitely meet up then so, always feel like a bit of a loner at the start of races since I alway go on my own:) probably won't be able to keep up with you but I might just try:D Alls quiet on the running front between a mental week in work, followed by a marriage proposal at the weekend!! All very distracting ha!!

Great running Osolso! Definitely meet up then so, always feel like a bit of a loner at the start of races since I alway go on my own:) probably won't be able to keep up with you but I might just try:D Alls quiet on the running front between a mental week in work, followed by a marriage proposal at the weekend!! All very distracting ha!!

yeah you've been busy:) Big congrats on the engagement! Sounds like you have a lot going on alright!
    We're very evenly matched for this 5k! Could get interesting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

How's everyone getting on?

Currently recovering from operation which I had last week. Surgeon was happy & said all went straightforward. Haven't ran in 9 days which is the longest I've been of the road in over a year :( I'm off work & am finding the time long. It has been such good weather for running as well. Good news is I'm well on the mend and have done a few walks. All going well I should be able to do some bit of running in another 7-10 days. It's frustrating not been able to run but at least it's only temporary. Hope others with injury are coming along.

• Advertisement

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Currently recovering from operation which I had last week. Surgeon was happy & said all went straightforward. Haven't ran in 9 days which is the longest I've been of the road in over a year :( I'm off work & am finding the time long. It has been such good weather for running as well. Good news is I'm well on the mend and have done a few walks. All going well I should be able to do some bit of running in another 7-10 days. It's frustrating not been able to run but at least it's only temporary. Hope others with injury are coming along.

oh cr1p. Sorry to hear that Bulmers, after the fantastic year you've had it must be very frustrating and yes it is perfect weather at the moment! As you say, at least it's temporary and you can look forward to picking things up for the New Year.

Advertisement