Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Ososlo wrote: »
    you can look forward to picking things up for the New Year.

Definitely - have entered the Dungarvan 10 mile on 26th of January so something to work towards once I get going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Definitely - have entered the Dungarvan 10 mile on 26th of January so something to work towards once I get going again.

Excellent:D and the end of January give you a good stretch of training from when you're back on the road properly. What are you thinking of marathon wise for next year or are you thinking of that at all?

Excellent:D and the end of January give you a good stretch of training from when you're back on the road properly. What are you thinking of marathon wise for next year or are you thinking of that at all?

All going well I plan to do Limerick on the May bank holiday weekend and another in the autumn - more than likely DCM.

What about you?

All going well I plan to do Limerick on the May bank holiday weekend and another in the autumn - more than likely DCM.

What about you?

I had initially planned on Cork or Limerick and then DCM but was talked out of it. I was advised that I wouldn't make any significant improvements in time for a Spring marathon so am gonna target DCM again. I have no interest in doing another poor marathon so will use the next few months working on some badly needed speed. Really enjoying the faster stuff at the moment. It's nice to wake the legs up a bit rather than plod plod plod (I know my times are still very slow to someone like yourself but it's all relative ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Took a week off after swelling in my knee. Second run back and it's still a bit tender but holding up. Doing much more strength work now to train the body for training. Gonna start a core strength class on Friday mornings along with another session or two by myself midweek.

Had planned on doing a 5 mile race this week to see where I am after Dublin but I'll postpone any racing until the new year when I'm comfortable giving everything once again.

• Advertisement

Took a week off after swelling in my knee. Second run back and it's still a bit tender but holding up. Doing much more strength work now to train the body for training. Gonna start a core strength class on Friday mornings along with another session or two by myself midweek.

Had planned on doing a 5 mile race this week to see where I am after Dublin but I'll postpone any racing until the new year when I'm comfortable giving everything once again.

Let us know how the class goes. Is it for runners or a general class? I've been doing lots of core stuff on my own in the past month or so and am noticing improvements already. Would like to do a class but hard to find the cash/time for everything :roll eyes: Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm another one in a bit of a mess.......again

I'm feeling OK when I'm drugged up on anti inflammatorys which I am right now - I'm half tempted to go out on the hard session I should be doing tonight but I'm getting sense. I've an appointment with my new physio in the morning so I'll wait til after that at least. I'm not expecting to be out for long this time.

One of these days I'll change my username here to 'Auld Crock'!

Let us know how the class goes. Is it for runners or a general class? I've been doing lots of core stuff on my own in the past month or so and am noticing improvements already. Would like to do a class but hard to find the cash/time for everything :roll eyes: Good luck with it.

Its not specific to runners but it is for "already fit people". Only €5 too so won't break the bank. If anything it'll be good to find out proper form for a variety of exercises. I can find strength work fairly monotonous so hopefully the class dynamic will keep me consistent.

Congrats on the run at the weekend btw. :)

Its not specific to runners but it is for "already fit people". Only €5 too so won't break the bank. If anything it'll be good to find out proper form for a variety of exercises. I can find strength work fairly monotonous so hopefully the class dynamic will keep me consistent.

Congrats on the run at the weekend btw. :)

5 euro sounds the business! Can't go wrong with that!!! Yeah a class a good idea to vary the exercises a bit too. I do the same old thing all the time.

Not sure if you're mistaking me for someone else but I didn't do a race at the weekend, just a lsr.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm another one in a bit of a mess.......again

I'm feeling OK when I'm drugged up on anti inflammatorys which I am right now - I'm half tempted to go out on the hard session I should be doing tonight but I'm getting sense. I've an appointment with my new physio in the morning so I'll wait til after that at least. I'm not expecting to be out for long this time.

One of these days I'll change my username here to 'Auld Crock'!

Ah no :( Is that because of the race?
    Good idea not doing the session tonight and getting advice straight away. Nip it in the bud. We're all gaining sense in our old age:)

• Advertisement

I was advised that I wouldn't make any significant improvements in time for a Spring marathon so am gonna target DCM again.

Wouldn't be so sure on this as there's loads of examples to the contrary. C_M knocked 30 minutes off her time between her first marathon in DCM and Limerick the following May.

Wouldn't be so sure on this as there's loads of examples to the contrary. C_M knocked 30 minutes off her time between her first marathon in DCM and Limerick the following May.

Yeah I know what you're saying but most of those examples would have been a lot faster than me at shorter distances to start with. Speed is my problem in that I don't really possess any :)
    Anyways, I want to knock way more than 30 mins off my marathon for the next one;)
    I'm happy with the new plan anyways as I have loads of shorter races up to half marathon planned pre DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

For all with injuries I hope ye are on the mend soon. Its not fab running weather in the west ,its so windy! I got 6 miles done this evening, busy week with work and juggling childcare so I will just grab what ever opportunity to run I can. I did nt do the speed work as I felt stiff and sore so ran very easy. I would also like to do a core work class in new year as I find it hard sticking to it at home! Trying to plan a few races for next year, short distances.

Ah no :( Is that because of the race?
    Good idea not doing the session tonight and getting advice straight away. Nip it in the bud. We're all gaining sense in our old age:)

Yeah well the signs were there just before Sundays race which is why I was thinking of pulling out.

I'm just not made for running fast......it's this darn Lumbar Radiculopathy or Sciatica I think.

What's this about you doing core work that you're noticing this difference from? Is there a DVD or something you follow along with? I want to step my core work up a bit. I think the key is to try and make it interesting........somehow.......it bores me to tears.

Yeah well the signs were there just before Sundays race which is why I was thinking of pulling out.

I'm just not made for running fast......it's this darn Lumbar Radiculopathy or Sciatica I think.

What's this about you doing core work that you're noticing this difference from? Is there a DVD or something you follow along with? I want to step my core work up a bit. I think the key is to try and make it interesting........somehow.......it bores me to tears.

well good luck with the physio in the morning.
    It's mainly planks (different variations) and push ups that I'm doing. I agree that the key is making it interesting so the way I found to make it more interesting is to read an athletics mag while I'm holding the plank ;) I get really bored just waiting for the egg timer to do it's thing but if I'm reading something interesting, the time flies by! It doesn't work so well for side-plank though or for push ups. I do some arm weights too and notice upper back and arms getting stronger and a bit more muscly which is making me feel stronger overall. A DVD is actually a really good idea. Must see how Santa's sorted!

5 euro sounds the business! Can't go wrong with that!!! Yeah a class a good idea to vary the exercises a bit too. I do the same old thing all the time.

Not sure if you're mistaking me for someone else but I didn't do a race at the weekend, just a lsr.

My bad. It seems I'm as bad with internet names as I am with names in real life :o

well good luck with the physio in the morning.
    It's mainly planks (different variations) and push ups that I'm doing. I agree that the key is making it interesting so the way I found to make it more interesting is to read an athletics mag while I'm holding the plank ;) I get really bored just waiting for the egg timer to do it's thing but if I'm reading something interesting, the time flies by! It doesn't work so well for side-plank though or for push ups. I do some arm weights too and notice upper back and arms getting stronger and a bit more muscly which is making me feel stronger overall. A DVD is actually a really good idea. Must see how Santa's sorted!

I'm reliably informed Nell McAndrew and Jackie Diss are fairly good.

Bob Harper of The Biggest Loser fame too. But I think his stuff's a tad more advanced.

I'm reliably informed Well AnDrew and Jackie Diss are fairly good.

Bob Harper of The Biggest Loser fame too. But I think his stuff's a tad more advanced.

Try utube for core workouts for runners, they have lots of 15 minute ones

YouTube a great resource and overwhelming

Fitness TV has lots of stuff too

YouTube a great resource and overwhelming

Fitness TV has lots of stuff too
    And I spend longer watching them actually doing the exercises:P

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Try utube for core workouts for runners, they have lots of 15 minute ones

if you have any specific ones that you find good pass them on ta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭donnacha

Been awhile since I posted anything about my runs. Took me awhile to get back into the swing of things but hoping I have now settled back into 3 x midweek and 1 LSR at the weekend routine. The weather is certainly unusually mild and I probably need to resist wearing all the layers going out at night as you end sweltering after 10 mins running.

What I did try once last week and once this week was run a 5k as fast as I could. Unfortunately I'm currently 2 minutes off my fastest 5k which I'd ran well before my first HM in July. Really feeling with all the Long Runs that I've lost some of the spring in my step on the shorter distances and think I may just focus on a programme so I can get a fastish 5k under the belt in late January and then move onto a HM training programme.

if you have any specific ones that you find good pass them on ta!
    I cant remember off the top of my head but will have a look and get back to you. A book I found good is Darcy Bussel-Pilates for life, not too daunting, well explained and plenty of pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

yeah you've been busy:) Big congrats on the engagement! Sounds like you have a lot going on alright!
    We're very evenly matched for this 5k! Could get interesting:D

Smack down ha ha:D seriously though have been very slack with all the fast stuff, the 5km is to get me back in the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Currently recovering from operation which I had last week. Surgeon was happy & said all went straightforward. Haven't ran in 9 days which is the longest I've been of the road in over a year :( I'm off work & am finding the time long. It has been such good weather for running as well. Good news is I'm well on the mend and have done a few walks. All going well I should be able to do some bit of running in another 7-10 days. It's frustrating not been able to run but at least it's only temporary. Hope others with injury are coming along.

Hope you have a speedy recovery bulmers!

Smack down ha ha:D seriously though have been very slack with all the fast stuff, the 5km is to get me back in the game!

sounds like a plan:) A bit of healthy competition :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Another visit to physio there(wednesday). More needle work in calf, and on the underside of foot today. That with some deep message and finally done(no pain, no gain) :D . Taped up the foot for a bit of relief for the evening and thats it.
    She mentioned the orthotics again and we talked about it a bit. Told her how I'm open to it but would prefer not to if possible kinda way :) She recomended getting the stride ones in Optimum Orthotics to try out. The're not the proper ones as in the expensive custom ones, but good to try out. Better than the ones you get in elverys, which I was told to stay away from.
    Still hobbling a bit from the treatment but should be good to go thurs/fri. Will just do some easy runs for first few outings.

I never asked her though, how would I be fixed for racing on the 26th. Athenry 10km is on and I'm already signed up. Missed a 5k race last week and really want to get back in a race environment :) Was thinking if my runs are fine and pain free up to that point i'd be good to go, just keep an eye on it??

A lot of us picking up injuries, hopefully nobody out to long.
    Bulmers, glad you're back on the mend, the rest will have you chomping at the bit in Dungarvan :D

Now, off to paddy power in the morning to get odds on the ososlo-shortstuff showdown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

i did the session last night, i found the last mile @HMP tough going! it made me think, damn i have lost a good bit of fitness since DCM, thats what i get for slacking on the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

Thanks again Blockic, really enjoyed last nights session.

I'm Looking forward to the Aware 10k in the park on Saturday, my first race since DCM..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

For anyone looking for a core workout, there really are millions out there on YouTube & general fitness websites. Make sure you are training everything though, not just the tummy muscles. There's a complete chain runners need from the hamstrings, through to the glutes, hip flexors & up to the six pack.

That's where you will really see benefits specific to running fitness, squats are as important as planks.

I have found this runners world plan good as a beginners plan, it's a bit 'American' but the principals are right... http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout

Advertisement