Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Sorry, I mean no offence to Americans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Was rejigging the week myself a bit and did the session last night. Enjoyed this one. Need to set up the Garmin a bit better for this stuff though. Too annoying keeping an eye on the current lap pace. Put the HMP in around 4:30-4:40. Might try and get the long run in this evening before the festivities commence (again!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

For anyone looking for a core workout, there really are millions out there on YouTube & general fitness websites. Make sure you are training everything though, not just the tummy muscles. There's a complete chain runners need from the hamstrings, through to the glutes, hip flexors & up to the six pack.

That's where you will really see benefits specific to running fitness, squats are as important as planks.

I have found this runners world plan good as a beginners plan, it's a bit 'American' but the principals are right... http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout

Did that when I was first starting out and I was absolutely in bits after it and wasn't even able to complete more than half of it. Just the Plyometric jump Squats alone were an absolute killer!

Might be interesting to have another go at it now - after my next physio appointment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks whoever put up the tracker sheet :)

Work got in the way of running the last 2 days:eek: I NEVER usually let that happen. Not cool... Won't be letting that happen again in a hurry.

Didn't get out yesterday and had planned on Parkrun Raheny this morning but had a work deadline for this evening so not a chance of going out this morning. Not too disappointed when I saw the weather!
    Work submitted at 7 and off I go. Decided to do an interval session in prep for 5k next weekend. 4 x 5mins at 1hr race pace with a few miles w/u and 3 c/d. Much harder than same session last week but hit the paces but it was taking way too much effort. Funny how it can be so much harder some days than others.
    Groups of kids out smoking dope all over the streets and chased by a few little scangers ... all in a day's work when running in the area:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Ososlo wrote: »
    Thanks whoever put up the tracker sheet :)

Work got in the way of running the last 2 days:eek: I NEVER usually let that happen. Not cool... Won't be letting that happen again in a hurry.

Didn't get out yesterday and had planned on Parkrun Raheny this morning but had a work deadline for this evening so not a chance of going out this morning. Not too disappointed when I saw the weather!
    Work submitted at 7 and off I go. Decided to do an interval session in prep for 5k next weekend. 4 x 5mins at 1hr race pace with a few miles w/u and 3 c/d. Much harder than same session last week but hit the paces but it was taking way too much effort. Funny how it can be so much harder some days than others.
    Groups of kids out smoking dope all over the streets and chased by a few little scangers ... all in a day's work when running in the area:rolleyes:

Hi! I added another week to the tracker earlier …hope that's not bad board-equitte… was going to add some mileage for this week and then got sent out shopping for Ireland's hardest to find toy! :) Pity to hear about ur being chased. I ran a lovely 5m route v early this AM along the coast but remember just after I'd started training for DCM in July doing the same run late-ish on a Friday night and a moron throwing a bottle from a speeding car at/toward me…really annoyed at time but pretty sure 6 of training months on I could catch the fool IN his ***p little car - on foot. Well …downhill and on a straight anyways

• Advertisement

saucyjack wrote: »
    Hi! I added another week to the tracker earlier …hope that's not bad board-equitte… was going to add some mileage for this week and then got sent out shopping for Ireland's hardest to find toy! :) Pity to hear about ur being chased. I ran a lovely 5m route v early this AM along the coast but remember just after I'd started training for DCM in July doing the same run late-ish on a Friday night and a moron throwing a bottle from a speeding car at/toward me…really annoyed at time but pretty sure 6 of training months on I could catch the fool IN his ***p little car - on foot. Well …downhill and on a straight anyways
    yay we have someone clever enough to add a sheet :D Excellent. I think it's your job from now on;)
    Luckily I was being chased during an interval and not a recovery period! I had stones thrown at me last week so what next :mad:
    It's always groups of them too so I ain't gonna tackle them on my own.
    Hope you found the toy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

yay we have someone clever enough to add a sheet :D Excellent. I think it's your job from now on;)

That's a fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

For anyone looking for a core workout, there really are millions out there on YouTube & general fitness websites. Make sure you are training everything though, not just the tummy muscles. There's a complete chain runners need from the hamstrings, through to the glutes, hip flexors & up to the six pack.

That's where you will really see benefits specific to running fitness, squats are as important as planks.

I have found this runners world plan good as a beginners plan, it's a bit 'American' but the principals are right... http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout[/QUOTE]

Thanks Killian, Im going to give this a go on a day I cant get out, maybe even tomorrow:eek:

Luckily I was being chased during an interval and not a recovery period! I had stones thrown at me last week so what next :mad:
    It's always groups of them too so I ain't gonna tackle them on my own.
    Hope you found the toy!

Got it alright : minion Dave of "Despicable Me" movie fame. Had to race a bunch of other Dads to get (nearly) last one on the Northside. Won :)

Got it alright : minion Dave of "Despicable Me" movie fame. Had to race a bunch of other Dads to get (nearly) last one on the Northside. Won :)

See all that training is paying off;)

• Advertisement

You're speaking a foreign language to me there but I'm delighted for ya:D

I only got 22 miles in this week but I knew it was going to be hard to get out, I got 8 miles done today which was my longest run this week. Next week will be easier( I Hope).

The weeks are really flying by! I can't believe it's Sunday again! How are people finding the plan? too easy? too tough? ok?

This is our third progression week and next week seeing as it's christmas will be a step-back week.

Here is the plan for now anyway.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    5m easy|Rest|Session|3m recovery|5m easy|Rest|13-15m easy|33-36m

Session:

Session this week is a typical track session (but can also be done without a track!)

1.5 mile warm up

6 x 400m with 1 min standing recoveries
    4 min recovery jog

1.5 mile cool down

If you want to make it slightly harder jog the recoveries really slow for 100 metres taking the full minute between the reps.

For those that do not have a track you can use a garmin watch to do the reps, for old school imperialists like myself 400m is about 0.25 of a mile so you can work off that.

The rep paces should be around 5km pace it not ever so slightly faster.

Enjoy!

Really enjoying the plan thanks Blockic. Finding it a bit of a challenge - was puffed our after 14M tonight - but (famous last words) .....nothing I can't handle so far. :) Gonna have to juggle this coming weeks a bit around but looking forward to it so thanks again.

Beautiful day for running. Beats shopping any day of the week. There's still ages to go but everyone seems to be in such a panic :rolleyes:
    Went to St. Anne's today for an hour of running. Really enjoyable even though I managed to get lost. It extended the run anyways which was no harm at all. Ran through the rose gardens which was superb and varied the run nicely. There is surely a huge amount of dog sh1ght in that park though. Much more than I ever see in the Phoenix Park or my local park.
    One more speed session tomorrow before winding down for Clonliffe on Sunday. All I need to do to is to run 3 sub 8 min/miles. I can do it I can do it I can do it......... please send your positive thoughts my way :cool: or if anyone has any mental strategies for working through/past pain let me know.

blockic wrote: »
    The weeks are really flying by! I can't believe it's Sunday again! How are people finding the plan? too easy? too tough? ok?

This is our third progression week and next week seeing as it's christmas will be a step-back week.

Here is the plan for now anyway.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    5m easy|Rest|Session|3m recovery|5m easy|Rest|13-15m easy|33-36m

Session:

Session this week is a typical track session (but can also be done without a track!)

1.5 mile warm up

4 min recovery jog

1.5 mile cool down

If you want to make it slightly harder jog the recoveries really slow for 100 metres taking the full minute between the reps.

For those that do not have a track you can use a garmin watch to do the reps, for old school imperialists like myself 400m is about 0.25 of a mile so you can work off that.

The rep paces should be around 5km pace it not ever so slightly faster.

Enjoy!

Im a bit thick so bear with me, is that 1 min standing recovery after each lap of the track or after the 6 reps are complete?
    Plan is good but was stuck for time last week and didn't get lsr done:mad:

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Im a bit thick so bear with me, is that 1 min standing recovery after each lap of the track or after the 6 reps are complete?
    Plan is good but was stuck for time last week and didn't get lsr done:mad:

No worries! 1 min standing recovery after each lap! Do ya have a track to use?

blockic wrote: »
    No worries! 1 min standing recovery after each lap! Do ya have a track to use?

Thanks, I do have a track to use. I will give it a go and report back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

One more speed session tomorrow before winding down for Clonliffe on Sunday. All I need to do to is to run 3 sub 8 min/miles. I can do it I can do it I can do it......... please send your positive thoughts my way :cool: or if anyone has any mental strategies for working through/past pain let me know.

I read a tip from a 15 min 5k runner in Runners World; she says she thinks 'ABC - Attitude - is it positive? breathing - get it under control and cadence - increase speed of leg turnover'. I thought it was good and used it in my last few 5ks. I thought it helped! Good luck! I love the Christmas Cracker

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I read a tip from a 15 min 5k runner in Runners World; she says she thinks 'ABC - Attitude - is it positive? breathing - get it under control and cadence - increase speed of leg turnover'. I thought it was good and used it in my last few 5ks. I thought it helped! Good luck! I love the Christmas Cracker

Thanks HelenAnne! Really like that! Plus it'll give me something to take my mind off how I'm feeling :D
    It's good to review those 3 things regularly during a race. Excellent!
    How's your own training? Targeting any races pre-Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

please send your positive thoughts my way :cool:

you said recently that me and you are of a similar pace.....

And I did it....

So......

Laois_Man wrote: »
    you said recently that me and you are of a similar pace.....

And I did it....

So......

we used to be .... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

All I need to do to is to run 3 sub 8 min/miles. I can do it I can do it I can do it......... please send your positive thoughts my way :cool: or if anyone has any mental strategies for working through/past pain let me know.

Try my Garmin trick - I changed my watch to km in a couple of races because I don't have any mental associations with my pace in km and can tell myself that it's not that bad. If I run in miles, I have all these associations with past training sessions because I think certain paces are easy and certain paces are too hard.

And yes, of course you can do it!

vitani wrote: »
    Try my Garmin trick - I changed my watch to km in a couple of races because I don't have any mental associations with my pace in km and can tell myself that it's not that bad. If I run in miles, I have all these associations with past training sessions because I think certain paces are easy and certain paces are too hard.

And yes, of course you can do it!

hhmmmm clever! I like it! Thanks for the suggestion! What you say makes total sense as so much of it is mental barriers/personal limitations to do with certain paces etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

. I can do it I can do it I can do it......... please send your positive thoughts my way :cool: or if anyone has any mental strategies for working through/past pain let me know.

You seem to have plenty of positivity there already Ososlo ;)

You also seem to have plenty of miles in the tank over the past few months from previous posts ( although I couldn't find any results to go on).

I always think real confidence comes from good preparation, remind yourself of the hard work you've put in thus far, get your legs fresh for the day and run hard!!! Its only 24 minutes or so, just do it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Beautiful day for running. Beats shopping any day of the week. There's still ages to go but everyone seems to be in such a panic :rolleyes:
    Went to St. Anne's today for an hour of running. Really enjoyable even though I managed to get lost. It extended the run anyways which was no harm at all. Ran through the rose gardens which was superb and varied the run nicely. There is surely a huge amount of dog sh1ght in that park though. Much more than I ever see in the Phoenix Park or my local park.

You CAN do it. Clear your mind and relax through the discomfort. Visualise yourself running quickly and comfortably in the lead up to the race.

I would recommend you hit the first mile as close to 8 mins as possible, then when you see that you are feeling fine then you know all you have to do is two more (and a bit) miles quicker than the first one.Gradually build up the speed through mile 2 and then really go for it in the last one.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

The best bit of advice I can think of for a 5k is to leave the watch at home. Don't let yourself be dictated by the numbers on your watch. Remember that running a 5k is suppose to hurt, particularly over the last 2k or so. If it hurts and feels tough then you're doing it right. To reiterate what RR said remember to try and stay relaxed through discomfort, I know I personally have used 'relaxed through discomfort' for a mantra through some 5k's.

You can do it no problem sure 5k is only a short run compared to what you've been running throughout the year.

Duanington wrote: »
    You seem to have plenty of positivity there already Ososlo ;)

You also seem to have plenty of miles in the tank over the past few months from previous posts ( although I couldn't find any results to go on).

I always think real confidence comes from good preparation, remind yourself of the hard work you've put in thus far, get your legs fresh for the day and run hard!!! Its only 24 minutes or so, just do it !

Well 5k pb from March is 25:50 and I've run 1,250 miles since then so that should count for something but I was plodding most of those miles:rolleyes:
    Thanks for the encouragement :D and yes it will be only 24 minutes or so;)

The best bit of advice I can think of for a 5k is to leave the watch at home. Don't let yourself be dictated by the numbers on your watch. Remember that running a 5k is suppose to hurt, particularly over the last 2k or so. If it hurts and feels tough then you're doing it right.

thanks Dave. Have you or anyone else reading this done this with success? I've read of the fast guys on the forum doing this with success but I think it is probably much easier at the top of the field when you know your competition and you know that the general pace that the guys around you are doing.
    I'd just be afraid that with no watch I'd go too easy on myself or push too hard at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

My garmin is my best friend and my worse enemy ...
    I'm doing a few 5ks at the moment without it : at least I focus on my run , not the watch :-)

Advertisement