Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Vico1612 wrote: »
    My garmin is my best friend and my worse enemy ...
    I'm doing a few 5ks at the moment without it : at least I focus on my run , not the watch :-)

Mind me asking if you pb'd without it?
    Would be lovely alright not to have to look down at my watch every 3 seconds:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Ososlo wrote: »
    Mind me asking if you pb'd without it?
    Would be lovely alright not to have to look down at my watch every 3 seconds:rolleyes:

Nope :-)
    But ran my fastest 3k last week end , without it and with a fellow runner timing me ;)

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Nope :-)
    But ran my fastest 3k last week end , without it and with a fellow runner timing me ;)

yes that's the ideal scenario really I'd imagine. Having someone to pace off. Well done on the 3k!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

thanks Dave. Have you or anyone else reading this done this with success? I've read of the fast guys on the forum doing this with success but I think it is probably much easier at the top of the field when you know your competition and you know that the general pace that the guys around you are doing.
    I'd just be afraid that with no watch I'd go too easy on myself or push too hard at the start.

I started doing this for 5k's in August and found my times dropped a fair bit (from 19:30-sub 19), even on the first occasion. I found that when running 5k's with the watch I spent far too much time looking at it worrying about the pace. Without the watch the only thing I needed to worry about was putting one foot in front of the other. The race report from that race is here. As mentioned before a 5k race is suppose to hurt and be uncomfortable. Getting used to this is actually one of the harder parts of racing in my opinion.

I started doing this for 5k's in August and found my times dropped a fair bit (from 19:30-sub 19), even on the first occasion. I found that when running 5k's with the watch I spent far too much time looking at it worrying about the pace. Without the watch the only thing I needed to worry about was putting one foot in front of the other. The race report from that race is here. As mentioned before a 5k race is suppose to hurt and be uncomfortable. Getting used to this is actually one of the harder parts of racing in my opinion.

scary but true, I agree.

Wish I had the balls to run it without the watch. Maybe I'll just do it as an experiment and it if falls apart, so be it... 2014 is another year. What about all those stats though:confused: Lost forever in the running abyss :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

scary but true, I agree.

Wish I had the balls to run it without the watch. Maybe I'll just do it as an experiment and it if falls apart, so be it... 2014 is another year. What about all those stats though:confused: Lost forever in the running abyss :mad:

I always wear a watch for a 5k, I just don't look at it....you could experiment by covering the watch face during the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Lots of good advice there just remember though...if your are not dry wretching at the finish line you havent tried hard enough! ;-)

menoscemo wrote: »
    I always wear a watch for a 5k, I just don't look at it....you could experiment by covering the watch face during the race?

hee hee I did that in my last Parkrun and spent the first mile trying to get the tape I had covering it off :D Worth a try again perhaps if I can be more disciplined.

hee hee I did that in my last Parkrun and spent the first mile trying to get the tape I had covering it off :D Worth a try again perhaps if I can be more disciplined.

Well if you were able to be peeling at the tape I would say you are not working hard enough :P

RedRunner wrote: »
    Lots of good advice there just remember though...if your are not dry wretching at the finish line you havent tried hard enough! ;-)

tell me about it. Bane of my life :rolleyes:
    I've retched all over the country in the past year at every race distance :o And not just at the finish either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't agree that looking at the watch harms your finish time
    I actually think it does the opposite
    In my recent 5K, I wouldn't look at the time on my watch til I was passing the 3K marker.
    When I did at that point, rather than slowing me down, it actually spurred me on because I was running faster than I thought I had been

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

RedRunner wrote: »

I have never run a 5 km and not sure I ever will after all the bad bits I have just read! Just want to say good luck Ososlo, your well able. As regards the watch I don't have one of them either!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I have never run a 5 km and not sure I ever will after all the bad bits I have just read! Just want to say good luck Ososlo, your well able. As regards the watch I don't have one of them either!

Lol I'm thinking the same thing. Why do we do this to ourselves :confused:

So, you're super speedy and you don't do 5ks and you don't have a watch! Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and cancel the race and throw away the watch :p

Which day is the race? I would say leave the watch at home, you have tried it with the watch now try it without! Don't over think it and sure you have to beat ShortStuff and she will be weighted down with the new ring!

Which day is the race? I would say leave the watch at home, you have tried it with the watch now try it without! Don't over think it and sure you have to beat ShortStuff and she will be weighted down with the new ring!

Sunday. Ha ha yeah I hope her ring is really heavily laden down with diamonds:D

Made my decision and GOING TO LEAVE THE WATCH AT HOME! Feck it, it'll be a new experience and I might relax a bit more without it. Whatever happens happens...I'll run as fast and hard as I can and can judge my efforts by the amount of retching throughout :)

You targeting anything soon yourself SamforMayo?

Made my decision and GOING TO LEAVE THE WATCH AT HOME! Feck it, it'll be a new experience and I might relax a bit more without it. Whatever happens happens...I'll run as fast and hard as I can and can judge my efforts by the amount of retching throughout :)

You targeting anything soon yourself SamforMayo?

Good woman! Funnily enough I have a 5 km on ST Stephen s Day but my kids are doing it with me so it will be interesting! There is a 5km locally on Jan 19th I might attempt ( will see how you get on:pac:) .

Good woman! Funnily enough I have a 5 km on ST Stephen s Day but my kids are doing it with me so it will be interesting! There is a 5km locally on Jan 19th I might attempt ( will see how you get on:pac:) .

Laois_Man can say "i told you so" if it all goes pear shaped:D
    Ah, lovely to rope all the family in and a great thing to do after the excesses of Christmas Day. Enjoy! I'm guessing you'll save racing for the 19th then. Blockic's sessions should be great prep for that.

Ah, lovely to rope all the family in and a great thing to do after the excesses of Christmas Day. Enjoy! I'm guessing you'll save racing for the 19th then. Blockic's sessions should be great prep for that.

Yeah but Laois_Man also said he didn't look at his watch until 3k. Would you have the discipline to do that? if not, better off without it...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah but Laois_Man also said he didn't look at his watch until 3k. Would you have the discipline to do that? if not, better off without it...

naw, don't have the discipline, not a chance in hell. I seriously think I normally look at my watch every 10 seconds during a race. That's a lot of energy expended needlessly that could be put into my running. Don't know how it'll go but willing now to take a chance :pac:

If the excesses were confined to Christmas Day I would be alright! I will be saving the racing til the 19th. They might be out with a torch looking for us on Stephens Day, the youngest fella of mine is 3 and he is a more of a sprinter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Made my decision and GOING TO LEAVE THE WATCH AT HOME!

Good call, just don't be late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Never mind the ring, Osolso has me psyched out with all her race prep! I am totally underprepared:( Still it'll be good to see where I'm at speed wise, might give me the kick up the bum I need! Lovin all the tips:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Got the session in last night myself in an aim to get it out of the way. Do dread it for some reason but it was fine in the end. No track for me which I'm sure would be a lot more accurate but did do up the workout on Garmin Connect and send it to the watch for the first time. Thought it worked quite well indicating if you are too fast or too slow for target times and beeps for the transition between segments.

Targeted

5:30-5:45 for the WU/CD.
    6:30-7:00 for the 1min and longer Recovery
    4:20-4:30 for the 400m. (Averaged 4:14)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Woden wrote: »
    Got the session in last night myself in an aim to get it out of the way.

Hear ya - totally dread any speed-related work beforehand! Did the session at the crack of AM today in the local park - I'm trying to do at least 50% of my runs on grass for the sake of my poor old knees. Couldn't get my app to setup 400M intervals (only does quarter km increments for some reason) so ran 12*500M internals averaging 5.01 times. I think that's ~4.0 for 400M and very happy with that. Enjoying Blockic's sessions (afterwards anyway :) ) feeling a but of a stretch in the lungs I don't get with just distance runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

So I'm finally signing up for my first race since DCM - though I'm not sure I should treat it as a race as its the 10km Fat Turkey Run on the 28th Dec. Considering the excesses ahead, the lack of a structured program over the past 6 weeks and the elevation profile I'm not going to be targetting a PB. However I still don't want to blow up on it and I'd like to be within a few minutes of my 10km PB time(Samsung Night Run - Apr '13 - 49m25s)

I've posted a query on the thread in the events forum but I'm guessing I might get a quicker response here. How would ye approach a race where the first 5km is all uphill and the second part downhill? I don't think there will be a problem with a negative split :P but I'd love to get an idea on what you'd target as a variance in splits.

Race elevation:

204075_1001155300.jpg

Never mind the ring, Osolso has me psyched out with all her race prep! I am totally underprepared:( Still it'll be good to see where I'm at speed wise, might give me the kick up the bum I need! Lovin all the tips:)

Dazzle her with the diamonds! Have you done many 5 km s? What time are you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

donnacha wrote: »

Race elevation:

204075_1001155300.jpg

Never ran this race myself but have run the route plenty of times. Obviously it's a race of two halves. The climb up is tough, there is not doubt although there is a small respite just after 2k. The main thing is not to go out hard. If anything take it very easy, after all it's essentially a three mile climb.

Really use your arms and hands to help power up the hill. A shorter cadence with higher knee lifts should help also. As you said, this is not a PB race so just aim to enjoy. The descent down is quite quick try to relax into it and you'll probably run your fastest ever mile :)

Keep the effort controlled and easy on the climb and you'll fly it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Dazzle her with the diamonds! Have you done many 5 km s? What time are you hoping for?

That's a plan (hopefully have it back in time:)) I've only done 3 I think, and just 1 this year! Think my pb is around 26mins. Would love sub 25min & think I'll just go for it even though my training recently has been terrible! At least my legs will be fresh:D

That's a plan (hopefully have it back in time:)) I've only done 3 I think, and just 1 this year! Think my pb is around 26mins. Would love sub 25min & think I'll just go for it even though my training recently has been terrible! At least my legs will be fresh:D

Almost exactly the same shortstuff! I've done one this year in March 25:50 and aiming for sub 25. Yes please "go for it" as I won't have a watch so need someone to pace off :P

• Advertisement

Good luck to you both, looking forward to the race reports! Terrible night in Mayo, having a rest day tomorrow to get hair done for x mas night out:)

Advertisement