Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ososlo wrote: »
    Ah super news! Was wondering why you hadn't been updating.

2 very slow miles to loosen up the legs a bit ahead of 5k race tomorrow. Said a teary goodbye to my Garmin as my very close friend won't be coming with me tomorrow :(
    A goal tomorrow is: 24:30ish
    B goal: sub 25
    C goal: beat shortstuff! Beat my sister Beat her friend PB !

Well I f1cked that up royally :mad:
    Don't know if I can blame not having the watch but think I did go out a bit faster than I should have. Just raced the people around me which was enjoyable. Didn't even pb though :( Never felt like retching or in any way sick (never happened me before in a 5k that I didn't feel sick) so think I went too easy on myself from the half way point when I should have taken it up a notch. Weather didn't help. Was quite windy in exposed parts and hail and rain into the face was hard to deal with.
    If I'm honest, I'm really depressed about today and am questioning why I bother etc etc etc ... but I guess I'm only starting to feel well health-wise in the last month and have only done 4 speed sessions post-DCM and nothing more than 2 min intervals at 5k pace so what do I expect really. For my last 5k pb I was doing 1 mile intervals in my training so was far more well prepared than for today.
    Think I should have maybe just done a Parkrun without the watch and saved this experiment for a day where the time didn't matter so much to me. Anyways, it's done and dusted and need to move on. Will do a few slow miles this evening as a jog always makes me feel better.
    Got to do some specific 5k training for my next good bash at it in March.
    On and up. :D

Fantastic to meet shortstuff! Best part of the day :) Was lovely to have a chat and a warm up jog together and don't worry, you look fab in the photos even without mascara ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sorry to hear you had a bad time of it Ososlo but the race effort will stand to you for sure. Sets a nice base line for a year of PBs in 2014.

ecoli wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you had a bad time of it Ososlo but the race effort will stand to you for sure. Sets a nice base line for a year of PBs in 2014.

thanks ecoli. Think I saw you there this morning. Hope you had a good one yourself.
    Actually enjoyed the racing part itself as it was nice to run with people I know and race them and beat 2 out of 3 :D but it's just so hard to judge pacing without the watch.... for me anyways... I might have easily been able to take it up a few notches if I had known exactly what pace I was doing. I felt perfectly fine at the end and not in bits like I usually do so there was certainly a lot more there to give. It's all about practice I guess with pacing. I foresee lots of Parkrunning in my future. In this exact race from last year my personal race report says "I gave that everything today, couldn't have done anything more" but I feel completely different after today's effort.

thanks ecoli. Think I saw you there this morning. Hope you had a good one yourself.
    Actually enjoyed the racing part itself as it was nice to run with people I know and race them and beat 2 out of 3 :D but it's just so hard to judge pacing without the watch.... for me anyways... I might have easily been able to take it up a few notches if I had known exactly what pace I was doing. I felt perfectly fine at the end and not in bits like I usually do so there was certainly a lot more there to give. It's all about practice I guess with pacing. I foresee lots of Parkrunning in my future. In this exact race from last year my personal race report says "I gave that everything today, couldn't have done anything more" but I feel completely different after today's effort.

I was out there (though the results wont confirm that thanks to a lacing malfunction :rolleyes:)

Racing is like everything else, something that takes practice. I have been running for 15 years and even now there are times where I do the same as yourself. Parkruns are not a bad idea as you will have the chance to just go for it and not worry if you blow up. This will give you confidence to be able to do it in the future (that is what i have been practising myself the last two races)

Sure tRR can give you tips about it around the Xmas dinner table, never like to give that man a compliment but he is a good person to look to with regard proper racing as opposed to time trials :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I was out there (though the results wont confirm that thanks to a lacing malfunction :rolleyes:)

The old 'Lacing/chip malfunction story' - between you & quirky I don't know who's worse.

• Advertisement

The old 'Lacing/chip malfunction story' - between you & quirky I don't know who's worse.

Between the lace and my shorts on back to front today it really was a case where I shouldn't have been let out of the house this morning :P

TAC - You may not be able to dress yourself for a race but its ok, just run fast :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hi Ososlo, sorry it didn't go to plan, you feel you wasted a race when you could have ran harder, I had a similar experience in my last 10 km but sure we are only starting out in this journey, learn from it and HAPPY CHRISTMAS

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi Ososlo, sorry it didn't go to plan, you feel you wasted a race when you could have ran harder, I had a similar experience in my last 10 km but sure we are only starting out in this journey, learn from it and HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Yeah really good way of putting it, I do feel like I wasted a race. Ran the route again tonight as a cool down jog and did a lot of thinking. I came to the conclusion that I think too much about it all :D I need to start de-thinking and just run!!!!
    Happy Christmas to you too! Here's to great things for us all in 2014.

Here's to great things for us all in 2014.[/QUOTE]

That's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done to all who raced this weekend. Thanks for the reports shortstuff and Ososlo, those experiences will stand to you going forward that's for sure. You have to take the bad with the good! At least you can run! ;)

Hope you all got through the plan ok this week. We are after a 3 week block now so next week is a step-back week. Less mileage but still a bit of intensity. I've even given you Christmas day off! ;)

However if you want to run xmas day you can keep the same format of previous weeks if you wish.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    5m easy|4m easy|Rest|Session|3m recovery|Rest|12m easy|30-32m

Session:

Session this week is a progression session with a variation of paces.

10 min warm up
    10 min @ MP
    10 min @ HMP
    10 min @ 10KP
    10 min cool down

Well done on getting through the winter plan so far! Nearly a third of the way there already! From here on in, our session will be progressing and working on building up from sessions you have already done.

Any questions let me know but in the meantime...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS! :)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    At least you can run! ;)

thinking that very same thing myself this evening. Hope your and all other folks' injuries clear up in time for a good start to 2014.

A Stephens day session? J you are some slave driver. If this was Greece they would be taking to the streets in protest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

A Stephens day session? J you are some slave driver. If this was Greece they would be taking to the streets in protest :D

A session before the session!;) Could have been Xmas day! Guilt-free night out after...it's win-win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Anyways, it's done and dusted and need to move on. Will do a few slow miles this evening as a jog always makes me feel better.
    Got to do some specific 5k training for my next good bash at it in March.
    On and up. :D

That's more like it! You tried something different and it didn't quite come off for you this time - it happens to everyone at some stage. There'll be many more races (with better conditions!) and you'll be better prepared as a result of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Yeah really good way of putting it, I do feel like I wasted a race. Ran the route again tonight as a cool down jog and did a lot of thinking. I came to the conclusion that I think too much about it all :D I need to start de-thinking and just run!!!!
    Happy Christmas to you too! Here's to great things for us all in 2014.

If there's one thing I've learned from being injured so long it is that there's more to my running life than racing, take each opportunity as a chance to learn that bit more about you and your abilities rather than a single chance to get a new PB.

Learning about our abilities each time we go out might still get us the PB, or it may not, but whatever happens we understand more about the how's & the why's so the run is never a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Merry Christmas everyone, I hope Santa brings you the best of gear for Christmas and you find 1000mile socks, body glide, gel belts and Garmins galore in your stockings.

Most of all, I hope 2014 is fast and injury free. You know the saying where you remind yourself that training on Christmas Day is good because you're getting one over on your competitors? Well, take it easy, everyone has the same thought! Sit back, eat lots turkey & ham and spend some time with your family!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sit back, eat lots turkey & ham

Turkey and Ham? Pffft. That's not too unhealthy.
    I've a box of Lemons Seasons Greetings and a bottle of Jack Daniels in front of me begging to be opened.

If I'm able to do a 20 minute mile pace tomorrow, it will be quite the victory.

Happy Christmas Killian and best of luck with the injury.

Thanks to the two wise men Duanington and Killian:D Great supportive comments. Much appreciated.
    Legs feel super fresh this morning so don't know what the hell I was doing during that race yesterday but I certainly wasn't putting in the effort that I should. Need to learn to feel the pain!
    Came across this article which some might find useful for dealing with the mental side of racing:

http://strengthrunning.com/2012/11/race-anxiety-how-to-build-confidence/

I was going to press the thanks sign on post but Then I was wondering what I was thanking him for;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Thanks to the two wise men Duanington and Killian:D Great supportive comments. Much appreciated.
    Legs feel super fresh this morning so don't know what the hell I was doing during that race yesterday but I certainly wasn't putting in the effort that I should. Need to learn to feel the pain!
    Came across this article which some might find useful for dealing with the mental side of racing:

http://strengthrunning.com/2012/11/race-anxiety-how-to-build-confidence/

That's a good artcile Ososlo and I think it covers two important parts of racing
    • Accetpting that you're going to have to run through a good amount of pain
    • Trying to relax when you tense up and you're pushing hard towards the end of a race
    One piece of advise I've always found very useful is to relax you're hands when you feel yourself starting to tense up. This really feeds back through your body and you'll find yourself running a lot easier. Its also helpful in that it takes your focus off the pain and allows you to concentrate on something else for a few minutes:cool:.
    Hard luck in the race on Sunday. I was out in that direction and the weather wasn't amazing so I'm sure that wouldn't have helped. If you keep the same determination and work ethic, you'll be smashing PBs in no time.

• Advertisement

That's a good artcile Ososlo and I think it covers two important parts of racing
    • Trying to relax when you tense up and you're pushing hard towards the end of a race
    One piece of advise I've always found very useful is to relax you're hands when you feel yourself starting to tense up. This really feeds back through your body and you'll find yourself running a lot easier. Its also helpful in that it takes your focus off the pain and allows you to concentrate on something else for a few minutes:cool:.
    Hard luck in the race on Sunday. I was out in that direction and the weather wasn't amazing so I'm sure that wouldn't have helped. If you keep the same determination and work ethic, you'll be smashing PBs in no time.
    Cheers. So I guess the best way to improve is to practice dealing with the pain through training and racing. I used to think it was so easy for the fast guys like yourself but now realise that you're/they're probably hurting a lot more than the rest of us but you guys know how to deal with it better.
    Thanks for the hands tip. Feel free to pass along any more perils of wisdom you may have ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

to add to that, I've realized recently the additional power and speed you can get when its really getting tough by pumping the arms and shortening the stride. Takes a little bit of practice, but definitely makes a difference.

Good article, enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Cheers. So I guess the best way to improve is to practice dealing with the pain through training and racing. I used to think it was so easy for the fast guys like yourself but now realise that you're/they're probably hurting a lot more than the rest of us but you guys know how to deal with it better.
    Thanks for the hands tip. Feel free to pass along any more perils of wisdom you may have ;)

Ososlo- don't beat yourself up over the race! It was a tough day out there in those conditions. The one thing if do if I were you though is get back on the horse right away. I'd bang out a few more 5 k races over the next few weeks.

To get better at racing- you need to race and as KU has pointed out relaxing through the pain is a skill. Parkruns are perfect for this kind of thing. If you do 3 between now and Feb. I'd guarantee a pb at least on the last one. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

drquirky wrote: »
    Ososlo- don't beat yourself up over the race! It was a tough day out there in those conditions. The one thing if do if I were you though is get back on the horse right away. I'd bang out a few more 5 k races over the next few weeks.

To get better at racing- you need to race and as KU has pointed out relaxing through the pain is a skill. Parkruns are perfect for this kind of thing. If you do 3 between now and Feb. I'd guarantee a pb at least on the last one. Good luck!

Parkruns are absoloutely perfect for this, great shout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Good to see most of you are still flying along and following the new plan! Hope it's going well for you all. I'm still sitting up with an injury, so frustrating, but still following the log here, just haven't been posting for a while! And the only plan I'm following these days is a study plan for my exams in January!

Just wanted to pop in anyway and say Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone here, hope you all have a good one, and take it easy for a few days and enjoy the break! Hopefully I'll be back out on the roads to join you all again in a few weeks! ;)

drquirky wrote: »

Thanks doctor! I'm well over it now. Not going to blame the weather either. If I can't pull it out of the bag on a bad weather day then I might aswell give up! I'm just not where I was fitness-wise since September when I got sick and never really recovered. I'm almost there though. Need to be a bit more patient with myself. I only really had 4 quality training weeks since DCM. I also have a lot to learn about racing and pacing and the advice I've received here has been invaluable going forward into 2014. Lots of Parkrunning defo.

7.5 glorious miles around the Phoneix Park this morning. Wind was so strong at times I could barely keep my feet on the ground! It was kinda funny! Really enjoyable though and great so see so many runners out. Place was deserted otherwise!
    Happy Christmas guys to both my new virtual friends and my new real-life boardsie friends :)

rob w wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll be back out on the roads to join you all again in a few weeks! ;)

really hope you are rob. Happy Christmas.

Happy Christmas everyone! Finally sitting down with a glass of wine and the 3 lunatics are asleep! I got out for 6 miles today and it was lovely!
    Have a lovely festive season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Happy Christmas all, have a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Happy Christmas everyone, hope Santa is good to one & all:D

Advertisement