Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Just did the last weeks 400m session and have worked up quite the appetite for dinner. :D
    Merry Christmas everyone and here's to continued success in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Merry Christmas all, hope ye are all safe and well :D

Eased back into it last week after my injury. I must say, I found it very tough. After two weeks without running, the return was very, very tough. Was as if I hadn't ran in two months :eek:

Anyway, things gradually improved (all relatively easy runs) and now I'm feeling the love :)
    Athenry 10km on tomorrow and was undecided how to approach it, but finally decided to go at it with everything and see how I cope, will be interesting anyways whatever the outcome :D

Will go out later on for a little easy run with few strides maybe, nothing to hard.

Looking forward to it now after missing out on planned 5km race couple of weeks ago.
    Will let ye know how it goes(bore ye) afterwards :D

Peace and love all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Merry Christmas all, hope ye are all safe and well :D

Eased back into it last week after my injury. I must say, I found it very tough. After two weeks without running, the return was very, very tough. Was as if I hadn't ran in two months :eek:

Anyway, things gradually improved (all relatively easy runs) and now I'm feeling the love :)
    Athenry 10km on tomorrow and was undecided how to approach it, but finally decided to go at it with everything and see how I cope, will be interesting anyways whatever the outcome :D

Will go out later on for a little easy run with few strides maybe, nothing to hard.

Looking forward to it now after missing out on planned 5km race couple of weeks ago.
    Will let ye know how it goes(bore ye) afterwards :D

Peace and love all :D

Best of luck with it.

Fields of Athenry 10km

*This is not a race report

Ok, so how did it go? Not bad I guess, but have still got to get a right go at a 10km.
    I guess the best description of how it went was that I gave it 100% of what I had on the day, not 100% of what I have to give on the right day.

There were pacers at this race and I decided to go with the 45min pacer for the start and maybe push on at 6/7k if I felt I had anything in me. Pacers not a necessity for me, but decided to use the while they were there, if nothing else, just to get me to settle into it.

Going along nicely for first 5k(23mins on clock i think), but gradually felt a little unwell(pukee :D) . At 6k still not great so put of my "push" till 7k. At 7k, same story, feeling worse and at 8,9,10k I was just hanging on with them and trying not to spew :) This "sickness" was totally down to me, in particular, chocolate sweets the night before. Felt grand before the race, but as I exerted myself, I got that chocolatey pukee feeling :D Sorry for the details :)
    Anyway, the end result. Finished 44:26 chip time.
    A PB... Yes
    A lesson learned.... Yes
    A good event...Yes

All in all, a good day out as usual for this race. Met a few old friends along the way...

Oh, and made the decision to join a club in new year. **** it, sitting on the fence long enough when everything and everyone is saying it's the right thing to do....

Now... Which club hmmmm lol...

Fields of Athenry 10km

Ok, so how did it go? Not bad I guess, but have still got to get a right go at a 10km.
    I guess the best description of how it went was that I gave it 100% of what I had on the day, not 100% of what I have to give on the right day.

There were pacers at this race and I decided to go with the 45min pacer for the start and maybe push on at 6/7k if I felt I had anything in me. Pacers not a necessity for me, but decided to use the while they were there, if nothing else, just to get me to settle into it.

Going along nicely for first 5k(23mins on clock i think), but gradually felt a little unwell(pukee :D) . At 6k still not great so put of my "push" till 7k. At 7k, same story, feeling worse and at 8,9,10k I was just hanging on with them and trying not to spew :) This "sickness" was totally down to me, in particular, chocolate sweets the night before. Felt grand before the race, but as I exerted myself, I got that chocolatey pukee feeling :D Sorry for the details :)
    A PB... Yes
    A lesson learned.... Yes
    A good event...Yes

All in all, a good day out as usual for this race. Met a few old friends along the way...

Oh, and made the decision to join a club in new year. **** it, sitting on the fence long enough when everything and everyone is saying it's the right thing to do....

Fair play to you, that's a great result. As for the chocolate problem I hear ya, I don't know if they have an addiction group for quality street but if so I need to join. I did a 5 km today but ran it with the kids, was very glad to have an excuse not to run it hard, in fact people were asking to borrow the children for this reason!

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Fair play to you, that's a great result. As for the chocolate problem I hear ya, I don't know if they have an addiction group for quality street but if so I need to join. I did a 5 km today but ran it with the kids, was very glad to have an excuse not to run it hard, in fact people were asking to borrow the children for this reason!

I'll forgive myself because I didn't know any better, but not the next time :D

One sweet, two sweets, three sweets.... All of a sudden the box is empty and empty wrappers everywhere lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

Fields of Athenry 10km

A PB... Yes
    A lesson learned.... Yes
    A good event...Yes

I know a few who did it and all were slower than on a normal day due to excesses of Xmas day! You did v well to still get a PB. I was considering doing it but probably a good job I didn't, I was bad enough doing the 10 mins at 10k pace in blockics session yesterday. Good luck with the club, am considering this myself at the moment. Let us know what you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Whoops!..Sorry missed a day! That's Christmas for you!

Here is the plan for this week if anyone is still following! :p ...onto block two!

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    Rest|6m easy|Session|4m recovery|Rest|5 miles easy|14m easy|36-38m

Session:

1.5 miles warm up
    3 miles @ HMP
    3 minute recovery jog
    2 miles @ HMP
    1.5 miles cool down

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

Still following Blockic. Thanks and happy new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Still on the plan Blockic - thanks for this weeks and please keep 'em coming! Managed to knacker my calve muscles last week (on the step-back week - when else!) but discovered the joys of foam-rolling in getting over that.....jayse the pain. Happy New Year to All!

• Advertisement

First run with my shiny new garmin tonight :D

1.5m warm up @ 8.51
    3m HM pace @ 7:18
    3min rec @ 10:18
    2m HM pace @ 7:11
    1.5m warm down @ 8.32

I'm going to be the rest of the night looking at these fancy graphs and I've not even set up the heart rate monitor yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

First run with my shiny new garmin tonight :D

1.5m warm up @ 8.51
    3m HM pace @ 7:18
    3min rec @ 10:18
    2m HM pace @ 7:11
    1.5m warm down @ 8.32

I'm going to be the rest of the night looking at these fancy graphs and I've not even set up the heart rate monitor yet!

What one did you go for?

No run today, so windy, wet and cold! Did the speed session yesterday, I dread these but I actually quite enjoyed it although I did some of it at 10km pace rather than HM by accident! Hope to get the long run in tomorrow. How are the rest of ye getting on? Any races planned? I hope to do a 5 km on Jan 19th and the Maree 8km on Feb 9th. Both new distances for me.

No run today, so windy, wet and cold! Did the speed session yesterday, I dread these but I actually quite enjoyed it although I did some of it at 10km pace rather than HM by accident! Hope to get the long run in tomorrow. How are the rest of ye getting on? Any races planned? I hope to do a 5 km on Jan 19th and the Maree 8km on Feb 9th. Both new distances for me.

Tuam 8km on the 19th will be my next one... Would be handy for Mayo people too :D

Tuam 8km on the 19th will be my next one... Would be handy for Mayo people too :D

It would indeed! Have you raced 8 km before? I have no idea what to aim for, my pb at 10km is 49.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

It would indeed! Have you raced 8 km before? I have no idea what to aim for, my pb at 10km is 49.40.

You should plug your 10k time into mcmillan calculator, it will give ya good estimate of what to aim for. I might see ya in maree. Im going to do either it or Tuam . Not sure which yet. I have been a bit of a disaster since dcm so not expecting any pb!

What one did you go for?

310xt. My new favourite toy.

Zaram wrote: »
    You should plug your 10k time into mcmillan calculator, it will give ya good estimate of what to aim for. I might see ya in maree. Im going to do either it or Tuam . Not sure which yet. I have been a bit of a disaster since dcm so not expecting any pb!
    Good idea, will do that. Don't know anything about the Maree route, only doing it cause my sister lives there and we will all decamp for the weekend!

310xt. My new favourite toy.

Nice choice! ;)

Good idea, will do that. Don't know anything about the Maree route, only doing it cause my sister lives there and we will all decamp for the weekend!

If it's the same course as last year, http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/231284772

From memory, I wasn't long at the running lark and found the short sharp hills took a lot out of me, but looking back now, they weren't bad at all. One section was rough though, a boreen, grass in the middle and a bit of muck around. Not bad just was a shock to the system as I've only done fairly flat city routes before:D :D

My God, I'm making this sound horrendous :D:D

Tiss a grand course, prob not a PB though, although it will be for you :D

Set no target for the 8k yet, run the 5k fast, when you get tired tell yourself you've got more, repeat, and then dig deep to the end :)

I haven't done much 5k's, but the last couple when taken seriously, really, I was wondering what I was doing...It can be gruelling (although short-term) Expect discomfort, and a lot of it :D

I better shut up now before you hang up your runners :D

Let us know how you get on...

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Nice choice! ;)

Now all I got to do is get it moving anywhere near as fast as you and I'll happy out.

Actually speaking of equipment. Can anyone recommend a good light running shoe. I currently have Asics GT-2000 but I'm looking for a lighter shoe to complement them. Seems there's good value to be found online but I'm not sure what my best options are.

If it's the same course as last year, http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/231284772

From memory, I wasn't long at the running lark and found the short sharp hills took a lot out of me, but looking back now, they weren't bad at all. One section was rough though, a boreen, grass in the middle and a bit of muck around. Not bad just was a shock to the system as I've only done fairly flat city routes before:D :D

My God, I'm making this sound horrendous :D:D

Tiss a grand course, prob not a PB though, although it will be for you :D

Set no target for the 8k yet, run the 5k fast, when you get tired tell yourself you've got more, repeat, and then dig deep to the end :)

I haven't done much 5k's, but the last couple when taken seriously, really, I was wondering what I was doing...It can be gruelling (although short-term) Expect discomfort, and a lot of it :D

I better shut up now before you hang up your runners :D

Let us know how you get on...

Feck sake I think I will retire now! No seriously thanks for that, Im well used to muck and roads with grass in the middle so I will be right at home, the hills might be a different matter. I intend to give the 5 km a right go, will keep your advice in mind.
    Will keep ye updated!

Hi guys,

Forgot this weeks plan on my other laptop so will post up the full one tonight.

6 miles easy is the order of today/tomorrow and will have the rest up tonight!

Hi guys,

Forgot this weeks plan on my other laptop so will post up the full one tonight.

6 miles easy is the order of today/tomorrow and will have the rest up tonight!

I did my Lsr this morning because it was calm, or it was when I left the house anyways! I m still running the Lsr too fast and running out of steam at the end.

So this week marks the halfway point in the plan! Well done to you all for getting this far and not giving up!

(I have ran 7.5 miles total in this same time period while I dish out 40 mile weeks! :pac:)

The main aim this week is to hit the big four zero, 40 miles!

Here is the plan and the session this week is back to focus on a bit of speed work.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    6m easy|Rest|Session|4m recovery|6 miles easy|Rest|15m easy|40m

Session:

2.5 miles warm up very easy
    6 x (800m @5km pace + 400m easy)
    2 miles cool down recovery

9 miles session total!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Cheers Blockic. Still recovering here and did a very easy 10k last night. Hope to get some miles in this week but will probably be giving the speed component of the session a miss!

I did my Lsr this morning because it was calm, or it was when I left the house anyways! I m still running the Lsr too fast and running out of steam at the end.

Slow those bad boys down, what pace you doing them at and any recent race time?
    Woden wrote: »
    Cheers Blockic. Still recovering here and did a very easy 10k last night. Hope to get some miles in this week but will probably be giving the speed component of the session a miss!

Ya that's sensible, stick to easy running this week instead of the session and once you are back up and going you can dip into the sessions.

Slow those bad boys down, what pace you doing them at and any recent race time?

Most recent 10 km was 50.11 but pb is 49.40. I ran 11 miles lsr ( missed a few long runs over xmas so building up again) at average pace of 9.01/mi.

Most recent 10 km was 50.11 but pb is 49.40. I ran 11 miles lsr ( missed a few long runs over xmas so building up again) at average pace of 9.01/mi.

Yeah, a tad fast alright...I'd be saying 9:30min/mile anyway if not a bit slower. Make the extra effort now on the next LSR to slow it down ans see how you get on.

• Advertisement

My first ever session on a track tonight for this weeks session. Got there just after 7 expecting it to be open till 9, not the case, had just under an hour so it was a bit all over the place and probably too fast. Had to cut the warm up and down short to make sure I got in my 6*800s in. Target pace was 3.19.

1.8 warm up @ 8.29
    6 x 800 (3.08, 3.12, 3.07, 3.12, 3.12, 3.13) + 6 x 400 easy
    1.28 warm down @ 9.05

7.9 miles @ 7.27

Felt a little easier than I expected so quite please with this run. Much better effort than the 400s two weeks back.

Advertisement