Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

My first ever session on a track tonight for this weeks session. Got there just after 7 expecting it to be open till 9, not the case, had just under an hour so it was a bit all over the place and probably too fast. Had to cut the warm up and down short to make sure I got in my 6*800s in. Target pace was 3.19.

1.8 warm up @ 8.29
    6 x 800 (3.08, 3.12, 3.07, 3.12, 3.12, 3.13) + 6 x 400 easy
    1.28 warm down @ 9.05

7.9 miles @ 7.27

Felt a little easier than I expected so quite please with this run. Much better effort than the 400s two weeks back.

Great session skeleton_boy. I assume you done the 400s between the 800s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

blockic wrote: »
    Great session skeleton_boy. I assume you done the 400s between the 800s?

Most certainly so. Not quite ready for the near 5k intervals just yet haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Did the session on the track this evening or a shorter version of it!
    1.5m warm up , 6x800m @ between 3.35/3.50 with 6x400m jog between, 1.75m cool down.
    I was dreading this but I enjoyed it. I have never ran a 5 km(one planned on Jan 19th) so hard to judge correct pace but it felt hard.
    Nice slow recovery run to look forward to tomorrow!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Did the session on the track this evening or a shorter version of it!
    1.5m warm up , 6x800m @ between 3.35/3.50 with 6x400m jog between, 1.75m cool down.
    I was dreading this but I enjoyed it. I have never ran a 5 km(one planned on Jan 19th) so hard to judge correct pace but it felt hard.
    Nice slow recovery run to look forward to tomorrow!

Do you have each split for the 800s?

Do you have each split for the 800s?
    3.40, 3.38, 3.35, 3.45, 3.50, 3.43 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

The past week was my first proper weeks running since the week before Christmas and it was a struggle after all the excess over the break which was not good at all for my fitness! I am disappointed I left it happen as I was following blockic plan (and enjoying it) up until Wednesday the 18th Dec and then I just stopped running… I couldn’t say no when I was asked to go for a few “quiet” drinks and that happened a lot more than once over the break! I am not following your plan for this week blockic but have been out running 3 times this week and plan to do 10miles this evening and maybe a recovery run tomorrow, would you recommend jumping back onto your plan for next week or should I build up again to the mileage? The weeks run this week were, 6*800m session with the club last mon night, 4k Wed night, 6mile Thurs, 10mile today and plan 4mile recovery run tomorrow.

3.40, 3.38, 3.35, 3.45, 3.50, 3.43

Not bad splits there but over the next few track sessions like this if you try and reduce the range of the splits so that they become consistant overall. 15 seconds is quite a lot of a difference over 800 reps..so I reckon the third rep was a tad fast and caused to 3.50 rep then.

Great session though overall.

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    The past week was my first proper weeks running since the week before Christmas and it was a struggle after all the excess over the break which was not good at all for my fitness! I am disappointed I left it happen as I was following blockic plan (and enjoying it) up until Wednesday the 18th Dec and then I just stopped running… I couldn’t say no when I was asked to go for a few “quiet” drinks and that happened a lot more than once over the break! I am not following your plan for this week blockic but have been out running 3 times this week and plan to do 10miles this evening and maybe a recovery run tomorrow, would you recommend jumping back onto your plan for next week or should I build up again to the mileage? The weeks run this week were, 6*800m session with the club last mon night, 4k Wed night, 6mile Thurs, 10mile today and plan 4mile recovery run tomorrow.

No worries dcorcaigh, so you will get about 28 miles in this week so...solid week to get back into it. However nexts weeks plan may be a bit of a jump (session and mileage wise) from what you are at now so I would advise doing week 5 of the plan and do a 12 rather than 14 mile LSR and take a mile or two off the midweek runs also.

Do Week 6 next week and then you can slip back in to the current plan the following week on week 9 which will be the step back.

What races do people have coming up?!

Thanks for advice, will try to get the splits more balanced. I have a 5 km next weekend , my 1st 5 km race. Also have a 8 km on February 9th, again a new distance for me.

My first goal race of the year is the Tralee Half on the 16th of March. Trying to find a prep race over a shorter distance for it atm. Working every third weekend and not having a car limits my options. Run Mount Juliet seems to be the only race in the south east that ticks the boxes with regards being off work and getting out there by bus before the start time. Reading the reports on here from last year it seems to be a very tough course. Would rather a flatter (cheaper, €35 for a 10K!!) race to better gauge where I'm at but it should be a good test all the same.

I need advice about foam rollers. My calves feel tight this week despite plenty stretching and recovery runs after tougher runs etc. Are they good? If so which one should I get? And how will I learn how to use it properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Running wise 2014 has been a bit of a balls for me so far. Currently out having strained my posterior tibial tendon. Between 1 thing and another I've only 4 runs done since the 2nd of December. Tried going back during the week but broke down again :( Physio talking orthotics. Would try anything at this stage. Chances of jogging round Dungarvan are fairly slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I need advice about foam rollers. My calves feel tight this week despite plenty stretching and recovery runs after tougher runs etc. Are they good? If so which one should I get? And how will I learn how to use it properly?

Hey SamforMayo
    I use it nearly every day and swear it's helped me avoid injury. Here are some good exercises : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0

Here's the one I have: http://www.physiosupplies.com/66fit-elite-foam-roller-blue-15cm-x-90cm.html

I know there are others (grid etc) but I continue to use this as it seems to do what I need it to do. There are other good threads on foam rollers in the gear and equipment and other sections if you search for them.
    Good luck in the 5k!

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Running wise 2014 has been a bit of a balls for me so far. Currently out having strained my posterior tibial tendon. Between 1 thing and another I've only 4 runs done since the 2nd of December. Tried going back during the week but broke down again :( Physio talking orthotics. Would try anything at this stage. Chances of jogging round Dungarvan are fairly slim.
    ah no that's cr9p, really sorry to hear that Bulmers :( Must be very frustrating for you.
    Hope we hear some good news from you soon.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hey SamforMayo
    I use it nearly every day and swear it's helped me avoid injury. Here are some good exercises : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0

Here's the one I have: http://www.physiosupplies.com/66fit-elite-foam-roller-blue-15cm-x-90cm.html

I know there are others (grid etc) but I continue to use this as it seems to do what I need it to do. There are other good threads on foam rollers in the gear and equipment and other sections if you search for them.

Good luck in the 5k!

Thanks for that Ososlo, think I will invest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

My first goal race of the year is the Tralee Half on the 16th of March. Trying to find a prep race over a shorter distance for it atm. Working every third weekend and not having a car limits my options. Run Mount Juliet seems to be the only race in the south east that ticks the boxes with regards being off work and getting out there by bus before the start time. Reading the reports on here from last year it seems to be a very tough course. Would rather a flatter (cheaper, €35 for a 10K!!) race to better gauge where I'm at but it should be a good test all the same.

I'm going to sign up for the Wexford Half Marathon - its end of April and I can do a 12 week training program from start of Feb (gonna follow Hal Higdon Intermediate this time). I'm also going to do the Urban Trail Series over Feb & March as they are great fun :)

In the meantime I went out for my first race today post DCM. Did the 5k Marlay Park Run - my god there were loads of people there! Probably not the best day to try and get a PB but I did and knocked 1m30s of my previous PB :D I also know I left a bit out there as well as I wasn't at all familiar with the course so I'll be giving this a spin again later this month. It was really well organised run/race thats completely free to participate in.

My plan for January is to just get out a lot and enjoy the runs as much as possible. I'm off the cigarettes since Monday gone (though I am vaping) so I'll probably end up going out for runs more evenings than normal but over shorter distances just to keep the head clear and away from temptation.

Good luck to anyone doing Ferrycarrig tomorrow.

donnacha wrote: »
    I'm going to sign up for the Wexford Half Marathon - its end of April and I can do a 12 week training program from start of Feb (gonna follow Hal Higdon Intermediate this time). I'm also going to do the Urban Trail Series over Feb & March as they are great fun :)

In the meantime I went out for my first race today post DCM. Did the 5k Marlay Park Run - my god there were loads of people there! Probably not the best day to try and get a PB but I did and knocked 1m30s of my previous PB :D I also know I left a bit out there as well as I wasn't at all familiar with the course so I'll be giving this a spin again later this month. It was really well organised run/race thats completely free to participate in.

My plan for January is to just get out a lot and enjoy the runs as much as possible. I'm off the cigarettes since Monday gone (though I am vaping) so I'll probably end up going out for runs more evenings than normal but over shorter distances just to keep the head clear and away from temptation.

Good luck to anyone doing Ferrycarrig tomorrow.

Well done on your PB, and also you giving up the cigarettes, stick with it and many more PB s will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Bulmers74 wrote: »

First off, sorry to hear about your 'strained' posterior tibial tendon. Did the physio say what grade strain it was and where it was? Did the physio say why you need orthotics? Did the physio try positional release? How many visits have you had to the physio?

Don't want to get involved in medical stuff and all that, but if you want, pm me with the details of your injury - the what, where, when, why, and how etc, I might be able to furnish you with some questions to ask the physio to make sure you're getting the best possible treatment/some ideas on self treatment etc. I hope I haven't broken any rules: I haven't given any suggestions on how to treat injuries etc.

Well I got 32 miles in this week and enjoyed them all, still a bit behind the plan but I will keep plugging away at it. Its very quiet on here lately where is everyone?

Well I got 32 miles in this week and enjoyed them all, still a bit behind the plan but I will keep plugging away at it. Its very quiet on here lately where is everyone?

What's the 5k you're doing and do you have a time target? Nice to be building up the miles again, well done.

What's the 5k you're doing and do you have a time target? Nice to be building up the miles again, well done.

Hi, 5 km is in Ballina next Sunday, would like to get under 23 but I have no idea really as its a first for me. Not sure how to approach it. Any advice? You clocked up good mileage yourself this week any races in mind?

• Advertisement

Hi, 5 km is in Ballina next Sunday, would like to get under 23 but I have no idea really as its a first for me. Not sure how to approach it. Any advice? You clocked up good mileage yourself this week any races in mind?

Do you know the course? If not maybe find out the elevation. See if there's a thread on the Events forum. Main thing I would say is don't go out too fast. Blockic or one of the other guys on here can give you better advice than I can. I've yet to master a good 5k race.. Other bit of advice would be to make sure you do a really good warmup before the race like at least 20 minutes really really slow right before the race.
    Main one for me is MSB Patrick's weekend 5k in March but I'm sure I'll do something before then. Want to get a good block of training in first.

Do you know the course? If not maybe find out the elevation. See if there's a thread on the Events forum. Main thing I would say is don't go out too fast. Blockic or one of the other guys on here can give you better advice than I can. I've yet to master a good 5k race.. Other bit of advice would be to make sure you do a really good warmup before the race like at least 20 minutes really really slow right before the race.
    Main one for me is MSB Patrick's weekend 5k in March but I'm sure I'll do something before then. Want to get a good block of training in first.

Have heard the course is very flat, might throw the kids in the car and drive it some evening this week. Good idea re warm up, I had forgot about that. I m always caution about going out too fast but in my last 10km I felt I should have pushed harder, its a tricky one! Will let ye know the outcome!

Looks like it will be a successful week already, the plan is up on time as promised over on the spotlight thread!! :D

Did anyone hit 40 miles last week? If the mileage is too tough for people let me know and I can look to scale it back.

The more feedback on here the better as I can adjust the plan accordingly. I'm kind of shooting in dark currently so I kindly ask that for this week everyone doing the plan reports back on how the week went?

Deal? :D

This week is the peak week of this second block before the step-back next week. However, you are going to have to earn that step-back week. ;)

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    6m easy (inc. 6x100m strides)|Rest|Session|4m recovery|6 miles easy|Rest|16m easy|41m

This week's session is a tough one but we'll take a stab at it and see how you get on. Don't worrry if it doesnt go to plan. You will learn more from your failures than your successes so give it a bash.

Session:

2 miles warm up very easy
    6 miles @ HMP
    1 miles cool down recovery

Next week's session will be a bit different than usual to mix it up a bit.

The idea I see for this training plan is tot only progress you as a runner but also to dip into a bit of everything for your sessions so you can get exposure to different types and get an idea of what you like and maybe more importantly, what you hate.

Hopefully it is working.

Anyone racing this weekend (SamforMayo) I suggest moving the session and recovery run to Tuesday and Wednesday, Rest Thursday and to the race instead of the LSR this weekend.

Also do 4 HMP miles instead of 6 for the session.

Enjoy!

Looks like it will be a successful week already, the plan is up on time as promised over on the spotlight thread!! :D

Did anyone hit 40 miles last week? If the mileage is too tough for people let me know and I can look to scale it back.

The more feedback on here the better as I can adjust the plan accordingly. I'm kind of shooting in dark currently so I kindly ask that for this week everyone doing the plan reports back on how the week went?

Deal? :D

This week is the peak week of this second block before the step-back next week. However, you are going to have to earn that step-back week. ;)

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    6m easy (inc. 6x100m strides)|Rest|Session|4m recovery|6 miles easy|Rest|16m easy|41m

This week's session is a tough one but we'll take a stab at it and see how you get on. Don't worrry if it doesnt go to plan. You will learn more from your failures than your successes so give it a bash.

Session:

2 miles warm up very easy
    6 miles @ HMP
    1 miles cool down recovery

Next week's session will be a bit different than usual to mix it up a bit.

The idea I see for this training plan is tot only progress you as a runner but also to dip into a bit of everything for your sessions so you can get exposure to different types and get an idea of what you like and maybe more importantly, what you hate.

Hopefully it is working.

Anyone racing this weekend (SamforMayo) I suggest moving the session and recovery run to Tuesday and Wednesday, Rest Thursday and to the race instead of the LSR this weekend.

Also do 4 HMP miles instead of 6 for the session.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for that. If I don't do any Lsr this week won't that leave me with a very low mileage week as race is only 5 km?

Did you join Waterford AC? Their winter league runs would be good prep for the Half, although not sure when they finish up...
    Hey SamforMayo

Good luck in the 5k!

Good advice there from Ososlo, I have the grid and find it excellent. I would recommend everyone on here get a foam roller as they are great for the getting rid of knots in the muscles and injury prevention.

Anyone should do as a starting point, or even get some wavin pipe from your local DIY store like one of the 2012 grads. :eek:

Actually start of with a nice soft foam roller first, even that will be agony! :D

Great stuff, 5kms are hard to race and I think you need a string of them to get to know how to race them. So give Sunday the best bash you can and see.

For me this is how I race them. Do not burst off with everyone else at the start, they are eager beavers, stick to your target pace no matter what. You will catch loads in the last mile if you get your first mile right.

The first mile and a half should be a hard but doable pace, slightly faster than your 10k pace but not too much.

Then the last mile and a half should be an uncomfortably hard pace! :D The last 500 metres you should be hanging and out of breath wishing for the finish line.

Cross the finish line and look for some space just in case you empty your stomach (as a precausion!) ;)

Sounds fun doesn't it. :pac: You know then you have done it right. :) Don't worry if it doesnt work out next Sunday, you will learn much more from it than just getting a time, such as knowing what not to do the next time.

Best of luck!

Thanks for that. If I don't do any Lsr this week won't that leave me with a very low mileage week as race is only 5 km?

Race weeks will always have less mileage than other weeks so don't worry about it. Missing one LSR won't make much difference in the long run.

Your focus this week should be the race, and preperation for it so everything around it is secondary.

If you want to add a couple of extra miles to Friday's run you could bring it up to 10 miles but it may impact your race on the Sunday.

It depends which is more important to you? Do you want to give 100% in the race or is it only a "for the craic" race?

Edit: As Ososlo says, be sure to have a very good slow warm up before the race (20mins is good) and if possible a cool down afterwards. That will bring the mileage up a bit more also

I've found the mileage grand and was surprised with how good the session went for me this past week. Didn't do my 5th run of the week today because my left calve felt a bit bruised after yestedays lsr. Feels ok today so might do the run tomorrow and start into this weeks schedule on Tuesday.

This weeks session should certainly tell a lot :eek: I've been doing the sessions based on my best race time to date, as opposed to for example planned HM pace. Is this the best approach for now considering we're still new to these types of workouts?

I've found the mileage grand and was surprised with how good the session went for me this past week. Didn't do my 5th run of the week today because my left calve felt a bit bruised after yestedays lsr. Feels ok today so might do the run tomorrow and start into this weeks schedule on Tuesday.

This weeks session should certainly tell a lot :eek: I've been doing the sessions based on my best race time to date, as opposed to for example planned HM pace. Is this the best approach for now considering we're still new to these types of workouts?

Abandon today's run for good now and start next weeks fresh. Best not to to carry over runs, as you are always on the back foot then for the following weeks plan.

Yes, your approach is perfect. Always set your targets to your current ability (most recent race) not your targeted/planned pace.

Race weeks will always have less mileage than other weeks so don't worry about it. Missing one LSR won't make much difference in the long run.

Your focus this week should be the race, and preperation for it so everything around it is secondary.

If you want to add a couple of extra miles to Friday's run you could bring it up to 10 miles but it may impact your race on the Sunday.

It depends which is more important to you? Do you want to give 100% in the race or is it only a "for the craic" race?

Edit: As Ososlo says, be sure to have a very good slow warm up before the race (20mins is good) and if possible a cool down afterwards. That will bring the mileage up a bit more also
    I want to give this race a right go so I will follow your Advice and cut the mileage, but if I puke on someone I will blame you ! I m beginning to think there was a good reason for me avoiding 5 km s!

• Advertisement

Did you join Waterford AC? Their winter league runs would be good prep for the Half, although not sure when they finish up...

The last night is the 6th of Feb so that may very well work as a more affordable option. With regards joining the club, because I work shifts I'd only be able to make 2 out of every 5 sessions so probably not worth it :(
    Abandon today's run for good now and start next weeks fresh. Best not to to carry over runs, as you are always on the back foot then for the following weeks plan.

Yes, your approach is perfect. Always set your targets to your current ability (most recent race) not your targeted/planned pace.

Yeah come to think of it you're probably right. Another days rest is best in the long run.

Advertisement