Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

blockic wrote: »
    The more feedback on here the better as I can adjust the plan accordingly.

Managed to get over the 40m last week and enjoyed all of my runs. Always love the LSRs anyways but I'm getting a lot out of the sessions as well. I've never run a race (well since the 1980's :eek:) outside the DCM so I've had no idea (other than extrapolations of DCM time on mcmillan website) what kinds of time I'd do in say a 5k but armed with my new Garmin :D I've suprised myself how fast and long I can sustain (for a M40 :) ) a decent 5k pace. So thinking that after this programme I'll work in a couple of proper 5 k races. I'm going to make a few park runs in malahide preparatory to that starting probably in Feb.

Don't know from the sessions if I enjoy running a sustained HM pace (or what I think is mine) as much I will DCM 14 but the faster 5k and 10k sessions are great - bit agonising at the time (but I guess that's the point) but feeling fantastic afterward . Thanks for this weeks programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

No worries dcorcaigh, so you will get about 28 miles in this week so...solid week to get back into it. However nexts weeks plan may be a bit of a jump (session and mileage wise) from what you are at now so I would advise doing week 5 of the plan and do a 12 rather than 14 mile LSR and take a mile or two off the midweek runs also.

Do Week 6 next week and then you can slip back in to the current plan the following week on week 9 which will be the step back.

What races do people have coming up?!

thanks for that, i will do week 6 of the plan this week. managed 10mile saturday, was very comfortable for most until the last mile which was uphill not steep just long.

planned races are Dungarvan 26th Jan, Ballycotton 9th March and Mallow 23rd March, i am half thinking of doing the mount Juliet half marathon in Feb but wont make up my mind until after Dungarvan.

donnacha wrote: »
    I'm off the cigarettes since Monday gone

Fair play donnacha - I still smoked (though less and less frequently) up to DCM 13 but haven't relapsed since touch wood. Definitely getting faster and fitter in leaps since. More power to you!! :)

Quick Poll: Would it be useful for each weeks sheet in the DCM 2013 novices spreadsheet to note the blockic prescribed miles/session per day?

Might save some flicking back and forth in the thread...would only take me seconds to add this - any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The last night is the 6th of Feb so that may very well work as a more affordable option. With regards joining the club, because I work shifts I'd only be able to make 2 out of every 5 sessions so probably not worth it :(

that's still two times more often than me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The last night is the 6th of Feb so that may very well work as a more affordable option. With regards joining the club, because I work shifts I'd only be able to make 2 out of every 5 sessions so probably not worth it :(

Work shift's myself and you will be surprised how much benefit you can get from a club even without being there day in/ day out

I run with many club mates at different times during the week outside of official training times. Having the club allows you to avail of the networking to arrange training around you (will be surprised in any club how many people can't make training times for one reason or another) as well as the resource of training and racing advice (some things you won't learn from a book or the internet) as well as opening your eyes to different elements (of training like drills etc or even different types of races - XC, Track, Road Racing, Mountain running etc)

You will also find an extra source of motivation in some races when you find you are not just running for yourself (could be a scorer for an age group team in numerous races)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

saucyjack wrote: »
    Quick Poll: Would it be useful for each weeks sheet in the DCM 2013 novices spreadsheet to note the blockic prescribed miles/session per day?

Might save some flicking back and forth in the thread...would only take me seconds to add this - any views?

That would be really handy saucyjack...

Thanks again for the plan Blockic. Last week I was laid up with a throat infection, so no running. I must admit also, I'm not hitting the planned mileage. Not million miles away but struggle to hit the target.

Rainrunner take a look rows 36-37 in spreadsheet - seem clear at a glance ? Improvements and suggestions most welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Mileage is ok from my perspective on the plan. I topped out around 38 miles last week all easy and likely would have hit the 40 but did a component of my long run with a friend on Sat and wrapped it up a few k early.

Thanks Saucy for adding the plan to the spreadsheet.

Still up in the air but may be doing a 10k on Sunday myself depends if I need to be available for work. So will take the recommendations on the adjustments for the plan above.

Rainrunner take a look rows 36-37 in spreadsheet - seem clear at a glance ? Improvements and suggestions most welcome :)

Looks great Saucyjack, very handy. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Did wed session yesterday, just 4 miles at HM pace, 8.10,7.56,8.12,9.00! last mile was a disaster as it was all up mile on a slippery mucky path, should have planned it better. Think I would have struggled to have done 2 more miles at HM pace.
    Recovery run today and fab day for it.

Looks like I'm not racing this weekend at the moment and will try and get a 10k on Sun 2nd Feb instead. 10k at HMP tonight. I must say I'm not exactly looking forward to it!

Very tough session, splits -8:39, 8:32, 8:35, 8:42, 8:29, 8:30, I'm still a little confused at my pacing for different distances! my 10k pace for the aware 10K was 8:00.. does this look right in relation to my HMP today??

Looks about right using McMillan. For an 8.00/mi 10k it has an 8.28/mi HM

Woden wrote: »
    Looks about right using McMillan. For an 8.00/mi 10k it has an 8.28/mi HM

Cheers Woden, never dawned on me to use McMillan. So that makes my LSR pace 9:30 or slower..great stuff. Thanks again folks

Have been wavering about whether to do the session tonight all day long ...'I'm too tired'....should really do that core session......got to catch up on Breaking Bad.....but with ye all putting up fast miles gonna have to go for it now! :)

Have been wavering about whether to do the session tonight all day long ...'I'm too tired'....should really do that core session......got to catch up on Breaking Bad.....but with ye all putting up fast miles gonna have to go for it now! :)
    Enjoy:D:D:D:D:D:D

Rainrunner wrote: »
    Very tough session, splits -8:39, 8:32, 8:35, 8:42, 8:29, 8:30, I'm still a little confused at my pacing for different distances! my 10k pace for the aware 10K was 8:00.. does this look right in relation to my HMP today??

Well done , at least your splits are even, mine were all over the place, too fast, too slow, should be around 8.20 I think, Im crap at judging pace. I did nt enjoy the session but sure I made it harder work for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well done , at least your splits are even, mine were all over the place, too fast, too slow, should be around 8.20 I think, Im crap at judging pace. I did nt enjoy the session but sure I made it harder work for myself!

Sam, have you used the virtual pacer function on the garmin? I find it very handy for pacing lsr & pace runs.

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Sam, have you used the virtual pacer function on the garmin? I find it very handy for pacing lsr & pace runs.

Hi, I just got a garmin at xmas and I got the most basic one the fore 10, I don't know if it has this function, will check it out thanks for that. Hope you are recovering well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Hi, I just got a garmin at xmas and I got the most basic one the fore 10, I don't know if it has this function, will check it out thanks for that. Hope you are recovering well.

I've the forerunner 10 too. Use the bottom right button to get into Run Options, then press top right button, press bottom right to move down to virtual pacer and top right to select. Press top right to turn on the vp function. Use the bottom right button to select the minutes and top right to move to the seconds, use bottom right to select the seconds and top right to set this pace. As you're running the watch beeps to tell you if you're ahead or behind pace. Find it handy to dial into a pace on the first mile or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Rainrunner wrote: »

Yep, it's a tough session (probably 2nd hardest we'll do) but said I'd put it out there and see how it goes. It's the likes of these types of sessions that really help you kick on training wise. It might be horid at the time but benefits you on the long run. Fair play for getting through it. Solid splits there and you can enjoy a nice recovery tomorrow.

Well? How'd the session go?

More importantly, where are you in Breaking Bad? :D

I've the forerunner 10 too. Use the bottom right button to get into Run Options, then press top right button, press bottom right to move down to virtual pacer and top right to select. Press top right to turn on the vp function. Use the bottom right button to select the minutes and top right to move to the seconds, use bottom right to select the seconds and top right to set this pace. As you're running the watch beeps to tell you if you're ahead or behind pace. Find it handy to dial into a pace on the first mile or two.

You are a star! Thanks for that, will try it out on next run.

Well? How'd the session go?

Tough Blockic! But with this session and the last starting to get a good feel for what pace I could sustain over a HM distance. Tonight ran average 7.59 mins for each of the 6 HM pace miles with +/- 15 sec variances (it's a bit hilly) and I'd say at 90-ish % effort throughout. TBH suprised I could manage that pace - though from a basis of no experience. No way I could sustain ~8 min/m over 13m yet though so getting a better base for estimating my pace.
    More importantly, where are you in Breaking Bad?
    :D

Season 3: DEA guy (Hank) has just weaponised an SUV :eek: I won't be spillin' his pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Another week another session. Probably a bit on the fast side but the last mile was really the only one I started to feel it breathing wise. Target HM pace = 7.20.

2 miles warm up (9.37, 9.12)
    6 miles @ HM pace (7.14, 7.07, 6.56, 6.56, 7.01, 7.04)
    1 mile warm down (9.18)

Very please with this effort. Even with the .2 of a mile tacked on at recovery pace, I ran 10K in 44.10, unofficially taking 1.40 off my PB I set back in July, a month after I started running consistently! Shows I've a few soft targets to take down during the year!

New plan is the winter league 5 mile on the 30th of the month as I'm going to London that weekend and will be in no shape to race the week after! Looking forward to putting it all out there and finding out where I'm at. In the short term, off to town tomorrow to get me a new lighter pair of runners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Tough Blockic! But with this session and the last starting to get a good feel for what pace I could sustain over a HM distance. Tonight ran average 7.59 mins for each of the 6 HM pace miles with +/- 15 sec variances (it's a bit hilly) and I'd say at 90-ish % effort throughout. TBH suprised I could manage that pace - though from a basis of no experience. No way I could sustain ~8 min/m over 13m yet though so getting a better base for estimating my pace.

You'd be suprised what pace you would be able to hit in a HM. The reasoning behind the recent threshold sessions and from what I have seen/experienced is that if you hit the pace for 7 miles in training, especially flying solo, come race day you should be able to handle it in race conditions for the whole HM. So don't be selling yourself short. I reckon you could hold it for the whole thing so solid work as it's a tough one.
    Season 3: DEA guy (Hank) has just weaponised an SUV :eek: I won't be spillin' his pint.

So long ago! Well the good news is the best is yet to come! Season 4 was my favourite!
    Another week another session. Probably a bit on the fast side but the last mile was really the only one I started to feel it breathing wise. Target HM pace = 7.20.

2 miles warm up (9.37, 9.12)
    6 miles @ HM pace (7.14, 7.07, 6.56, 6.56, 7.01, 7.04)
    1 mile warm down (9.18)

Very please with this effort. Even with the .2 of a mile tacked on at recovery pace, I ran 10K in 44.10, unofficially taking 1.40 off my PB I set back in July, a month after I started running consistently! Shows I've a few soft targets to take down during the year!

New plan is the winter league 5 mile on the 30th of the month as I'm going to London that weekend and will be in no shape to race the week after! Looking forward to putting it all out there and finding out where I'm at. In the short term, off to town tomorrow to get me a new lighter pair of runners :)

Serious running there man. I feel these session after about the 3rd mile breathing wise so it just shows that there is plenty more to come from you yet! Nice splits too.

Got it in last night. Wasn't too bad in the end. 10k component at average of 4:38. Ankle seized up a bit during the final 1.5k cooldown though!

Bulmers 74- I used this today on an easy run as a trial, its really handy, thanks for educating me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Have heard the course is very flat, might throw the kids in the car and drive it some evening this week. Good idea re warm up, I had forgot about that. I m always caution about going out too fast but in my last 10km I felt I should have pushed harder, its a tricky one! Will let ye know the outcome!

Best of luck on Sunday. You feeling confident?

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday. You feeling confident?[/

Thanks. Im not feeling confident at all, I did nt enjoy my running this week for some reason and my legs feel tired, could be all in the head though! I will give it a right go and get back to you!

Advertisement