Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

SamforMayo wrote: »

Thanks. Im not feeling confident at all, I did nt enjoy my running this week for some reason and my legs feel tired, could be all in the head though! I will give it a right go and get back to you!

Negativeness is banned on here during a race week. :cool: Line up at the start with a Positive Mental Attitude, it's half the battle, otherwise you have given up before you have even started...

Do post-mortems if they are needed after the race, not before! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

blockic wrote: »
    Negativeness is banned on here during a race week. :cool: Line up at the start with a Positive Mental Attitude, it's half the battle, otherwise you have given up before you have even started...

yeah listen to blockic! He's knows what he's talking about. Positivity from now on. OK????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

blockic wrote: »

Right, Ososlo disregard my 1st comment, I think I will win the fecking race
    Then I will be pictured in the Western people and my family will be very proud:D
    Blockic= Is it ok to do 4/5 miles easy tomorrow or should I leave?

Then I will be pictured in the Western people and my family will be very proud:D

that's the spirit!
    Win it in style:cool:

If Blockic doesn't jump back in here I'd say the general consensus (and what I'd always do) is about 2 or maybe 3 very very slow miles, not even breaking a sweat. You want the legs to be as fresh as possible. Just my opinion by the way but advice I've heard from others. Some people would throw in a few 20 sec strides towards the end. Anyone else care to jump in?

• Advertisement

That's more like it. I usually rest the day before a race but everyone is different. It's only through experience that you will find out what works best for you.

If ya want to run leave it at 4 miles and slightly easier than your usual easy pace. Shouldn't effect the race at that pace.

Guys some homework for you all here...Stazza is dicussing lactic threshold...something that we have been touching on in recent weeks with our HMP sessions (a pace which is slightly slower that LT)

His informative posts are definitely worth the read so keep an eye out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88493480&postcount=1185

If people don't have the P&D book Advanced Marathoning I would recommend it as a starting point as it deals with these running paces and terms and gives a good explaination of them....or you could just google! :D

Best of luck for tomorrow SamforMayo. Looking forward to the report! Hope you get a good windless day for it:)

Ososlo wrote: »
    Best of luck for tomorrow SamforMayo. Looking forward to the report! Hope you get a good windless day for it:)
    Thanks Ososlo, it was a fabulous day here today, dry, crisp and still, hoping for more for the same tomorrow. I did 3 miles easy and my legs felt good after. Race at 12 so fingers crossed.

Thanks Ososlo, it was a fabulous day here today, dry, crisp and still, hoping for more for the same tomorrow. I did 3 miles easy and my legs felt good after. Race at 12 so fingers crossed.

lovely time for a race. Plenty of time to let the brekkie settle. Hope today is replicated for you weather-wise. Sounds superb!

• Advertisement

MartyBoy are you still racing in Tuam tomorrow? If so good luck, and no chocolate tonight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Early spring! Did LSR early bells and it's getting light at half-six. Beautiful morning.

SamforMayo good luck in your race…if conditions are anything like here you'll bomb round! :)

My First 5 km Race-23min 18 sec

Well it was a lovely morning and legs felt good so I headed off in plenty of time and did a good warm up (good advice Ososlo). Lined up behind a few I know to be better runners than myself and said I would kept an eye on them.
    Im always afraid of starting to fast (Career_Move beat it into us) so took 1 st mile handy (too handy)7.56. Up the pace for 2 nd mile feelin good and enjoying it, 7.18. Half way through 3 rd mile I was starting to suffer, I was breathing hard, feeling a bit pukey but coping, 7.18. Passed a lot of people near the end and was delighted to see the finish line.
    So Im fairly happy with my 1st 5 km, I had hoped to get under 23 but I ran that last 2 miles as hard as I could so I gave it a good try. Plenty to work on and all advice welcome. Oh and I passed all the people I had targeted at the start so Im improving! I did a short cool down after and I enjoyed all the tea and home baking.
    I thought I would hate this distance but I actually liked it!

Well it was a lovely morning and legs felt good so I headed off in plenty of time and did a good warm up (good advice Ososlo). Lined up behind a few I know to be better runners than myself and said I would kept an eye on them.
    Im always afraid of starting to fast (Career_Move beat it into us) so took 1 st mile handy (too handy)7.56. Up the pace for 2 nd mile feelin good and enjoying it, 7.18. Half way through 3 rd mile I was starting to suffer, I was breathing hard, feeling a bit pukey but coping, 7.18. Passed a lot of people near the end and was delighted to see the finish line.
    So Im fairly happy with my 1st 5 km, I had hoped to get under 23 but I ran that last 2 miles as hard as I could so I gave it a good try. Plenty to work on and all advice welcome. Oh and I passed all the people I had targeted at the start so Im improving! I did a short cool down after and I enjoyed all the tea and home baking.
    I thought I would hate this distance but I actually liked it!

Fantastic! Sounds like you could have gone out a tad faster and easily gone under the 23. A lot of folks say to get up to pace soon enough into a 5k race and just try to hold it for the duration, but opinions vary. Delighted for you and really hope you're happy with the result even though you didn't go under the 23. It's all about practicing strategy as I well know to my peril :rolleyes: and since it was your first you did brilliantly but there's obviously a lot more to give. Great to be passing the people you targeted! Well done, I'm well jealous :D

Ososlo wrote: »
    Fantastic! Sounds like you could have gone out a tad faster and easily gone under the 23. A lot of folks say to get up to pace soon enough into a 5k race and just try to hold it for the duration, but opinions vary. Delighted for you and really hope you're happy with the result even though you didn't go under the 23. It's all about practicing strategy as I well know to my peril :rolleyes: and since it was your first you did brilliantly but there's obviously a lot more to give. Great to be passing the people you targeted! Well done, I'm well jealous :D

Cheers, I am happy and feel I will get under 23 soon with the right pacing. I glanced at the garmin after the 1 st mile and knew I had to up it so it was useful from that point of view. I probably should have changed it to km for the race but I only looked at it twice in all. When I was near the end I nearly burst out laughing cause I was sucking in air as quick as I could and the debate about how to breathe from here came into my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Cheers, I am happy and feel I will get under 23 soon with the right pacing. I glanced at the garmin after the 1 st mile and knew I had to up it so it was useful from that point of view. I probably should have changed it to km for the race but I only looked at it twice in all. When I was near the end I nearly burst out laughing cause I was sucking in air as quick as I could and the debate about how to breathe from here came into my head!
    Well done Sam. Sub 23 will be no bother to you. 5k races are hard to pace at first but once you do a few you'll be flying. I nearly always change to km for shorter races because it's easier to track pace and the pace varies less. That was a good first effort though - faster than my first 5k too ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Ah well done you, great result. It's a tricky one to pace if you're not used to them, i'd say you'll knock a bit of that time if you get to race a few more and get the feel for them. There's a fair bit of an "out of your comfort zone" feel about them for me!!!! I'll be hoping to get to do a few 5k's this year (Galway 5km series).

Great feeling passing the people you target :D

Well done again..

Nice easy week for ye this week. ;)

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    6m easy (inc. 6x100m strides)|Rest|Session|4m recovery|5m easy|Rest|13m easy|33-35m

Session:

10' warm up
    10' Threshold
    (3' - 5' recovery jog)
    8 x 30 sec hill repeats
    (recovery jog back down)
    10' easy / cool down

Something a bit different this week for the session and that is a small Threshold pace and then hill repeats. You will need to find a good spot for this one in advance and plan it out.

Following on from Stazza's post I posted earlier in the week, the first stage of this is a 10 min threshold run, this shoud be done at a slightly faster pace than your HMP, (around 10 mile pace) but do it by feel.

Following on from this use the recovery to find your hill in question (a few mins is fine, not too important here if its a bit longer recovery time than above)

Some basic tips on how to do these hill reps can be found here...

http://running.about.com/od/speedworkouts/ht/hillrepeats.htm

Try find a hill that is challenging but not too steep that you give up half way up. Think Roebuck hill in DCM except a bit longer, a couple of hundred metres long.

Power up the first time at a controlled pace, staying tall, working the arms but dont absolutely tear up it as if it's your last 50 metres and then have nothing left in the tank for the remaining 7! :D All 8 should be consistant and the last should be similar to the first.

Once you reach the top, jog down very slowly, when you reach the bottom you should be recovered, turn around and go again!

Well done Sam on the race, you will have learned a lot and will put it to good use next time out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So Tuam 8km done and dusted for another year :D

As stated previously, I don't really do race reports so just a few thoughts on it...

2.30 start time was nice, no early morning rush or waiting around all day. Weather was spot on,cool but not cold, and the rain held off, little or no wind to speak of.

To the race... Started off steady, a bit congested, started a bit further back but no biggie. Stopped me from tearing off to fast anyway :)

First 4kms were spot on, going at a good rate and breathing fairly controlled.
    From the 5th km on, effort level increased steadily.
    This was a gradual change, like someone closing a valve. Had to work harder and harder to maintain pace.
    By the last km breathing was loud and all over the shop :D I'm sure the guys around me lost concentration by my hyperventilation and groans :D

There was no spring finish today, but delighted to keep pace going and not "give up" as I might off previously.

Official time 34:31 (no chip on result?, Garmin time 34:23) PB!!!!
    DISTANCE PACE ELAPSED TIME
    1 km 04:20 min/km 4:19
    2 km 04:15 min/km 4:15
    3 km 04:19 min/km 4:19
    4 km 04:15 min/km 4:14
    5 km 04:15 min/km 4:14
    6 km 04:16 min/km 4:16
    7 km 04:13 min/km 4:13
    8 km 04:18 min/km 4:17

A PB by about 30 secs with official timing I reckon so happy out...

A great race with one of the finest spreads afterwards as well.
    A big well done to all involved in bringing it together.. It's a common theme I find with club races, I can rarely fault them in any regard unlike a lot of the commercial races I go to...

So my thoughts... I feel like I really need to get my act together with the likes of the sessions being posted here. I haven't done any of note. After coming back from the planctar F. injury, I kinda eased back into the running but never set or timeframe when to start the hard sessions.. Something I'm going to have to address sooner rather than later...

Upcoming events....
    Kinvara half> All going well I'll go all out for this as well.
    Connemarathon> No major plans(a tick box race if you will) Weather conditions change hourly around there so this will be just an enjoyable race.. In or around the 4 hr mark or there abouts.

Jesus sorry about that, it was only meant to be 4 or 5 lines :D

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    So Tuam 8km done and dusted for another year :D

As stated previously, I don't really do race reports so just a few thoughts on it...

2.30 start time was nice, no early morning rush or waiting around all day. Weather was spot on,cool but not cold, and the rain held off, little or no wind to speak of.

To the race... Started off steady, a bit congested, started a bit further back but no biggie. Stopped me from tearing off to fast anyway :)

First 4kms were spot on, going at a good rate and breathing fairly controlled.
    From the 5th km on, effort level increased steadily.
    This was a gradual change, like someone closing a valve. Had to work harder and harder to maintain pace.
    By the last km breathing was loud and all over the shop :D I'm sure the guys around me lost concentration by my hyperventilation and groans :D

There was no spring finish today, but delighted to keep pace going and not "give up" as I might off previously.

Official time 34:31 (no chip on result?, Garmin time 34:23) PB!!!!
    DISTANCE PACE ELAPSED TIME
    1 km 04:20 min/km 4:19
    2 km 04:15 min/km 4:15
    3 km 04:19 min/km 4:19
    4 km 04:15 min/km 4:14
    5 km 04:15 min/km 4:14
    6 km 04:16 min/km 4:16
    7 km 04:13 min/km 4:13
    8 km 04:18 min/km 4:17

A PB by about 30 secs with official timing I reckon so happy out...

A great race with one of the finest spreads afterwards as well.
    A big well done to all involved in bringing it together.. It's a common theme I find with club races, I can rarely fault them in any regard unlike a lot of the commercial races I go to...

So my thoughts... I feel like I really need to get my act together with the likes of the sessions being posted here. I haven't done any of note. After coming back from the planctar F. injury, I kinda eased back into the running but never set or timeframe when to start the hard sessions.. Something I'm going to have to address sooner rather than later...

Upcoming events....
    Kinvara half> All going well I'll go all out for this as well.
    Connemarathon> No major plans(a tick box race if you will) Weather conditions change hourly around there so this will be just an enjoyable race.. In or around the 4 hr mark or there abouts.

Jesus sorry about that, it was only meant to be 4 or 5 lines :D

Well done, great race by the sounds of it. I, like you need to focus in on the speed work, I'm grand at clocking up the miles, blockic s plan has been a big help as regards structure. I might not be as happy with him when I have run up the hill 8 times though!

Six lovely miles last night - took it well easy. Didn't have much choice in truth - zillions of people out running and walking which is brilliant. Weaving in and out around everyone probably won't do much for pace though so thinking of calling it 'Operation Transformation Slalom' :) Found my hill for Wed last night too - Jebus that looks steep. Thanks ever for posting plan Blockic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I though this was supposed to be an easy week! Those hill repeats were tough going. My legs were quite tired by the final two reps but a nice session all the same.

10 min warm up @ 8.56
    10 threshold @ 6.38
    6.18 min recovery @ 8.55
    8 X 30 sec hill reps, avg change in elevation = +40 feet ( pace = 5,35, 5.37, 5.33, 5.15, 5.24, 5.31, 5.44, 5.26)
    15 min warm down

Total= 6.48 miles @ 8.11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I though this was supposed to be an easy week! Those hill repeats were tough going. My legs were quite tired by the final two reps but a nice session all the same.

10 min warm up @ 8.56
    10 threshold @ 6.38
    6.18 min recovery @ 8.55
    8 X 30 sec hill reps, avg change in elevation = +40 feet ( pace = 5,35, 5.37, 5.33, 5.15, 5.24, 5.31, 5.44, 5.26)
    15 min warm down

Total= 6.48 miles @ 8.11

Thats a great session and always good throwing in some turnover and form work in the form of hills after a threshold run, teaches the body to maintain form when tired which is something that will definitely stand to you. Fair play, keep it up

Great session last night ! Actually rested properly on Monday and felt really primed for a faster run last night.

Did 10mins @ (mins/km) 7.04, 10 mins @ 5.12 and then 8 * 30 secs up 25ft incline in average 4.08 with +/- 15sec/km variances. 5 miles total.

Blockic got a copy of that 'Advanced Marathoning' book you recommended. V Good. I'd kind of concluded reading A/R threads and logs that to get my DCM time down to my target of sub 4 hrs I need to make some regular if smallish improvements in all of speed, endurance, weight and general discipline (core work, strength excercises etc). The intro to the book summarised that which is bang on for me. Looking through the plans there this W/E. Thinking through an over-arching plan from your Winter programme through some races in Spring-Summer and then into a DCM plan. So good pointer - thanks.

Special thanks also to the group of foreign teenage language students who raced me up the hill (as they smoked) in intervals 2 and 4, laughing their asses off at the end of each. :) NOTHING will make a middle-aged man run faster than being challenged by some young pup in front of young women. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

Haven't been on here in a while,I've just been looking back over the last few pages.
    Been ticking over for the last few weeks,up to about 30 miles a week and hoping to ramp that up over the coming months with a view to (maybe) doing a marathon around the end of may.
    I do most of my miles around 7:30 pace but it can go up around 7 min pace,for a few miles a week i'll ramp it up to 6-6:30 min miles.my slowest miles would be around 8 mins but I'm really forcing myself to go that slow and I don't really enjoy it.
    Is it ok to do most/all of my mileage at this rate as the weekly mileage increases or am I risking injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

anyone else from here doing Dungarvan on sunday? i am not exepcting much timewise (put down 1:20 on a log here in early dec but looking at 1:30 now) myself after the 4ish weeks of training i missed during and coming upto christmas but that wont take away from the event, have been looking to this race since i did for the first time last year, entry alone is worth it for the t-shirt!

Training wise this week i have for the most part stuck with Blockics plan, i added a 2 extra miles last night and only managed 6 hill reps, am doing nothing else this week till the race sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 newbygirl

I've only done my first 5k (although I won it:D) and reading everything on here makes me think like a marathon would be great to run. When does entry for Dublin close and would eight months give me enough time to prepare. I'm fit from other sports btw

tkx

• Registered Users Posts: 36 newbygirl

saucyjack wrote: »
    If memory serves entry dosent close until September ( unless all places are gone). I'm sure another of the thread's followers will know better from experience but id say 8 months for a fit person is bags of time to prepare. Did my first DCM last year only training in earnest from June-ish. Give it a lash ! One of the the best things you'll ever do and you'll get loads of support and advice on the A/R threads!

tkx so much saucyboy

• Advertisement

newbygirl wrote: »
    I've only done my first 5k (although I won it:D) and reading everything on here makes me think like a marathon would be great to run. When does entry for Dublin close and would eight months give me enough time to prepare. I'm fit from other sports btw

tkx
    I'd stick to the 5ks love. You obviously have a talent for them ;)

Advertisement