Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Thanks for taking us on! My 1 st goal will be to improve my 10km time, will be doing a 10km in Dec. Im just wondering about the best way to divide up the miles per week over the winter, I can run 5 times a week, have 3 small kids so need to make the most of my time. What mileage should I be aiming for over winter? I followed Career_Moves marathon plan and came in just under 4 hrs which was my A goal. I also hope to do a half marathon in Spring.

The more days you run a week, obviously the better but 4-5 is pretty good over the winter.

Keep with the recovery plan for the next 3 weeks anyway and then maybe a couple of weeks of training leading up to the 10km. However, most of the improvement in that 10km time will come off the back of the marathon training.

In terms of breaking up the miles after the recovery plan, I'd advise to keep the LSR going between say 12-16 miles, 2-3 days of easy running and then one session a week. The session would vary from being reps at different paces and threshold/tempo and fartlek sessions. The total mileage I would suggest to be what you did on average over the training plan. Maybe 75% of the peak as a starting point and you could work on building your average up over time.

We can get to all that in due course.

What did the marathon plan peak at mileage wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

I'd like to join in!

Goals...
    After nearly 6mths off injured I'm only a couple of physio visits off starting a walk/run programme to get back on the road again. My main goal for 2014 is to relax about my running a bit, races aren't so important & I just want to run, not get injured and wok towards DCM14.

Best of luck with the return Killian, looking forward to seeing you back to your best. It must have been so tough being out as long as you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

blockic wrote: »
    The more days you run a week, obviously the better but 4-5 is pretty good over the winter.

Keep with the recovery plan for the next 3 weeks anyway and then maybe a couple of weeks of training leading up to the 10km. However, most of the improvement in that 10km time will come off the back of the marathon training.

In terms of breaking up the miles after the recovery plan, I'd advise to keep the LSR going between say 12-16 miles, 2-3 days of easy running and then one session a week. The session would vary from being reps at different paces and threshold/tempo and fartlek sessions. The total mileage I would suggest to be what you did on average over the training plan. Maybe 75% of the peak as a starting point and you could work on building your average up over time.

We can get to all that in due course.

What did the marathon plan peak at mileage wise?

Thanks for that, it peaked at 42 miles I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Oops! Forgot my own race!! :o Stook 10 is also a great option! ;)

More details here *Shameful plug

Hmmm 10miles is one race distance I haven't done yet so think I'll sign up! Be nice to get 2 PBs in one day:) I'm strangely calmer now I have a bit of a goal!

Hmmm 10miles is one race distance I haven't done yet so think I'll sign up! Be nice to get 2 PBs in one day:) I'm strangely calmer now I have a bit if a goal!

All boardsies will get VIP treatment! ;) Look forward to meeting you shortstuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm not too far from the Kilkenny Dungarvan.....but 10 miles racing in only 2 weeks time. Must resist.....stick to the plan........MUST RESIST!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm not too far from the Kilkenny Dungarvan.....but 10 miles racing in only 2 weeks time. Must resist.....stick to the plan........MUST RESIST!!!

Ah go on, you know you want to:D There's a 5km race on the day as well if that suits your plan better, only a tenner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I added a new sheet to the tracker. I presume ye want to keep it going. Link here if anyone else wants to join:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoaCGJk6gWtQdGI3TlI1SDVUNjlMSGRTX1VaMGtudUE#gid=6

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

Hi Guys, I`m absolutely thrilled that this thread has started. I`m still very much on a high! And I need something to focus on. So hopefully this will do it.

The DCM was a lesson for me in that it doesn`t matter how hard you train an injury on the day can wreck all your plans. So I`m going to do two things over the coming months
    1) find out what caused the problem with my knee that day
    2) a lot of core work, weights etc.

I`m looking at the DCM for next year, obviously but am also thinking about The Midnight Sun Marathon in Tromso ( North Norway ) in June. We should be on holiday there around that time so it would be too much of an opportunity to miss.

Speed work is going to play an important part of my training as I feel I can go quicker with proper training ( well, I couldn`t have gone much slower ).

Just on an aside, my 19 year old son said a lovely thing to my wife yesterday. She`s been quite ill for the last 5 years or so. So we were talking ( again ) about last Monday and he says to her "Look mum, dad`s got his medal, if you want one next year, I`ll walk it with you." I don`t think I`ve ever been as proud of him. She sad " Maybe" Sometimes that can turn into a yes. Here hoping:rolleyes:

Ah go on, you know you want to:D There's a 5km race on the day as well if that suits your plan better, only a tenner!

Neither of them really suit my plan. I'll think about doin the 5K.....might do 2 laps of that to make it fit better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

Couldn`t resist going for a 2 mile jog. All went ok but felt a little tired. Suppose that`s to be expected. I`ll take the advice and slowly get into it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

Hi all, good to see this thread start-up, it may be just what I need :-) So I finished my third marathon on Monday last, enjoyed the day but yet again missed out on my 4 hour target. My 3 times so far have been 4:00:25, 4:07:23, 4:15:12. This year I had run almost 700 miles in training which isn't bad, my problem is that the longer the race, the more I fade. I did the fingal 10k this year in 48 minutes so pace isn't the problem, it's endurance. I want to keep my mileage up through the winter so I'm not back to square one in Feb. I think I need advice on my training approach, so would be interested in any thoughts or suggestions. Is it just more miles ?. Is it the introduction of tempo / interval runs ?.

Degsy123 wrote: »
    Hi all, good to see this thread start-up, it may be just what I need :-) So I finished my third marathon on Monday last, enjoyed the day but yet again missed out on my 4 hour target. My 3 times so far have been 4:00:25, 4:07:23, 4:15:12. This year I had run almost 700 miles in training which isn't bad, my problem is that the longer the race, the more I fade. I did the fingal 10k this year in 48 minutes so pace isn't the problem, it's endurance. I want to keep my mileage up through the winter so I'm not back to square one in Feb. I think I need advice on my training approach, so would be interested in any thoughts or suggestions. Is it just more miles ?. Is it the introduction of tempo / interval runs ?.

Can you post up a typical week training wise for you...if endurance is the issue, more miles is the first step IMO, let's see what you are doing at the moment and go from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

Can you post up a typical week training wise for you...if endurance is the issue, more miles is the first step IMO, let's see what you are doing at the moment and go from there...

Following the marathon and over the next few months my plan is as follows;

Tue 5 miles
    Wed 7 miles
    Thurs 5 miles
    Sat LSR (ideally around 10-15 miles)

I hope to try to fit in a race every 4-6 weeks - maybe starting with the clontarf half in 3 weeks. I had planned on keeping this through until Jan/Feb. Should I be increasing more ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

anyone else targeting any shorter races before the end of the year? I'm torn between Santry Clonliffe 5k on 21 December and Jingle Bells on 7th December in Phoneix Park. I'd say Santry is more of a pb course and I loved it last year with the start and finish on the track, but wish it wasn't so late in December. I did Jingle Bells as my first race in 2011 and it was quite challenging with some climbs afair. Anyone who knows both courses have any opinions on which would have more pb potential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Ososlo wrote: »
    anyone else targeting any shorter races before the end of the year? I'm torn between Santry Clonliffe 5k on 21 December and Jingle Bells on 7th December in Phoneix Park. I'd say Santry is more of a pb course and I loved it last year with the start and finish on the track, but wish it wasn't so late in December. I did Jingle Bells as my first race in 2011 and it was quite challenging with some climbs afair. Anyone who knows both courses have any opinions on which would have more pb potential?

Don't know about santry but the jingle bells is definitely pb course if it's the same route as last year, net downhill and big downhill finish, can't do it this year so may look at santry instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Jingle bells has no hills at all, In fact it is a very downhill course. There is a slight drag over the first 2k then it flattens then the last 2k is straight downhill.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248218566

The finish line is well below the startline in terms of elevation.

Good news is that if you do the Jingle bells, you can come to the Xmas beers that night :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057074490

There's the invitation out, don't be shy. All welcome!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Jingle bells has no hills at all, In fact it is a very downhill course. There is a slight drag over the first 2k then it flattens then the last 2k is straight downhill.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248218566

The finish line is well below the startline in terms of elevation.

Good news is that if you do the Jingle bells, you can come to the Xmas beers that night :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057074490

There's the invitation out, don't be shy. All welcome!!

Ok great, so JB is definitely a contender so. thanks for the link. Want to give myself the best chance so the big decider is whether I'll have enough time to really get some decent training in before the 7th.
    Thanks also for the drinks invite. Do boardsies who don't know other boardsies really go along to those xmas drinks alone? Or is it really just the "in" crew on the night? Either way, cheers for asking;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

O
    Thanks also for the drinks invite. Do boardsies who don't know other boardsies really go along to those xmas drinks alone? Or is it really just the "in" crew on the night? Either way, cheers for asking;)

You know me and Marthastew ;).
    Anyway, how do you ever get to know other boardsies unless you meet them in the flesh? Most of the people who know each other from boards met on these kind of social occasions, there are already several people signed up who don't know many people. I'd really love if we got a great turnout......go on don't be afraid (that goes for everyone).

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Went for my first run today since last Monday. Ran 5.5k but a toenail I damaged in the marathon finally came off. Lost 2 toenails in DCM last year but this one is throbbing far more. Might have to take it handy for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Great that this thread has been started up so soon.

My DCM went well (4:04) was really hopining for a sub 4 but I left nothing out there and truly emptied the tank so I am happy with my 4:04 (It gives me an added incentive to run another Marathon and aim for sub 4) Since DCM I have not run, I have developed a pain in my right foot which didnt bother me during the race but has flared up since last Thursday/Wednesday - So first thing is to get that looked at this week.

My goals from here are;

Clonakilty Half marathon on 6th December (This is dependent on the foot - might opt for the 10k instead)
    Charity 5k on Stephens Morning close to home
    Jan-Feb-March - Mostly just training, with the occasional 5/10k charity run.
    April - The great Ireland Run (Possibly Connemarathon)
    May - Mullingar Road League (5k every Wednesday night in May)
    June, July, August - Will begin building up to a Marathon again with a few fun runs where available
    September/October - This will either be Berlin (If I get a place following the second round of offers, or DCM again)
    November - Recovery
    December - Clonakilty

I also really want to focus on some core strength this year - I did a bit of pilates during the early summer and think it helped stave off a few injuries I usually suffer from. I will try to incorporate some general strength/weight training into my weekly regime also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

npresto wrote: »
    Went for my first run today since last Monday. Ran 5.5k but a toenail I damaged in the marathon finally came off. Lost 2 toenails in DCM last year but this one is throbbing far more. Might have to take it handy for a few weeks.

Well done on your marathon! Eoin is in the same toenail boat - I've seen his feet once since the marathon and don't want to see them again until they're back to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Cheers shortstuff! for getting the ball rolling here and thanks blockic for ‘volunteering’ your coaching services.

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)
    Starting week 1 of the Hal Higdon marathon recovery plan today and hope to finish it out with the Waterford half on 1st of December.
    I’ve surgery (gallbladder) scheduled for the 3rd of December so that will keep me out of action for a few weeks.
    Races I’d like to do next year
    John Treacy 10 mile, Dungarvan – not sure what shape I’ll be in but originally from that side of the country.
    Half marathon in March- Bohermeen is a bit of a trek from Limerick but seems to be a big one for Boardies – we’ll see!
    Limerick marathon
    Frank Duffy 10 mile
    Charleville half
    DCM ’14 (goal race)

Also want to run at least one 5k as I haven’t done one yet & 2 or 3 10k’s

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    Would hope to start 16 week plan for Limerick in the middle of January. Plan to run 5 days a week and maybe peak at 60 miles for this. 1 day a week cross/core training is something I have to do. I’m going to join a club and will have to incorporate speed sessions & tempo runs also in to the plan.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)
    Would like to have a good shot at Dublin next year doing a plan like P&D 70 over 18 weeks

Distance. Current pb. Goal pb
    5k. 19:59
    10k. 43:21. 40:59
    10 mile. 71:03. 67:59
    Half 1:36:57. 1:29:59
    Full. 3:28:57. 3:14:59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You should all think about joining clubs too, those of you who aren't already members. I know some people are a bit worried that they're not fast enough for clubs, but you guys are all marathon runners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Further to my post above.

I was just wondering does anyone know how best to train to be a little faster in longer races? This might sound like a stupid question, in fact it may actually be a stupid question.

Is it just a matter of picking up the pace of LSR's a bit - i.e. 45-90 secs slower than you goal marathon pace and also doing some quality speedwork on another day (along with whatever general runs you are doing)

I trained for a 4hr marathon and just missed it by a few minutes, but 4hrs would have been my absolute best effort - How do I go about training for say a sub 4 marathon, i.e. just a few seconds faster per mile?

RayCun wrote: »
    but you guys are all marathon runners!

Ahem....HEMMMMMMM! :P

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Further to my post above.

I was just wondering does anyone know how best to train to be a little faster in longer races? This might sound like a stupid question, in fact it may actually be a stupid question.

Is it just a matter of picking up the pace of LSR's a bit - i.e. 45-90 secs slower than you goal marathon pace and also doing some quality speedwork on another day (along with whatever general runs you are doing)

I trained for a 4hr marathon and just missed it by a few minutes, but 4hrs would have been my absolute best effort - How do I go about training for say a sub 4 marathon, i.e. just a few seconds faster per mile?

I'll get back to all of you on these queries later this evening with more detail but no, it wouldn't be a case of just increasing the LSR pace.

You train to your current ability, not for the time you want to target.

The sequence would go as follows in an ideal world:

1)Train consistently at current ability
    2)Race and you will likely see an improvement in race time.
    3)Adjust your training paces down based on race result.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Thanks Shortstuff to starting this off and Blockic for taking over the mentoring!!

wow, i found this quiet difficult to write, as my head is a little all over the place... what are my goals?? first things first. i need to get my ITB looked at before i go too head first into a training plan. I am back with my club tonight after a few weeks staying away, so that will be good to get a routine starting again. I have found in past years that once i get a goal race over and done with i take a week off afterwards and that week usually turns into 6months very very fast, i am determined not to let this happen this year and the fact i am in a club will help me get my ass out on the road!! I would echo raycun and advise joining a club. I have signed up for the Dungarvan 10mile in the end of January and i hope to do Ballycotton also in the spring if i get in and maybe mallow also. i suppose my main goals for next year is to improve on my 10k, 10mile and half marathon times and then give DCM another go next year. I am delighted with my DCM13 time so hopefully with a full year of structured training for target races will stand to me when DCM14 training time comes around again.

what type of training do you intend to do over the winter? I need to work on my core and speed, I will follow a running program for Dungarvan and add extra strength work to it.

2013 has been a great year for me running wise, so i plan to build on that for 2014...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2chances

RayCun wrote: »
    You should all think about joining clubs too, those of you who aren't already members. I know some people are a bit worried that they're not fast enough for clubs, but you guys are all marathon runners!

This has been a concern for me for a while. No doubt, I have to bite the bullet and join a club and I know that there will be benefits. There are some great clubs very close to where I live (1 really well established and 1 just a year or two on the go) You wouldn't believe the ever increasing numbers in the new club.

I've always said it would be difficult to commit to a set time on set evenings every week versus the flexibility that running alone has given me but the reality is that I have probably just been using that line as a convenient excuse.

No time like the present .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

2chances wrote: »
    I've always said it would be difficult to commit to a set time on set evenings every week versus the flexibility that running alone has given me but the reality is that I have probably just been using that line as a convenient excuse.

Lots of people say this, but you don't need to 'commit' to anything. Most clubs will have sessions on at a particular time each week. If you're there one week, great, if you miss the next two weeks it doesn't make a difference to anyone but you.

Advertisement