Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

newbygirl wrote: »
    I've only done my first 5k (although I won it:D) and reading everything on here makes me think like a marathon would be great to run. When does entry for Dublin close and would eight months give me enough time to prepare. I'm fit from other sports btw

tkx

Sounds like that was a great 5km time newbygirl. I reckon your talents lie in speed rather than endurance. Ever thought of becoming a sprinter. If you PM Chivito550 I'm sure he might mentor you?

Looks like great things ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well the week started well and I got the session done with the 10 min at threshold done at 7.58 pace, 8 x 50 sec hill repeats, hill not steep enough I'd say cause was nt feeling it to rep 6. Total session 8 miles. 5 mile recovery wed no bother but woke thurs with a sore hip and a pain at the front of my thigh, not bad but not right, it improved as I moved about, had Lsr planned Friday morning but same problem so said I would nt chance it. Had planned weekend off as going away, so climbed some of Croagh Patrick and cycled some of the green way in Westport with the kids, no hip pain so back to normal Monday I hope! Hate missing Lsr!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Decided to start into these wednesday sessions last week. Should have planned it better as the hill I used was probably to long (400 meters) with elevation of 7 meters.. Is this way off the mark or do I need shorter,steeper hill.
    I felt this took a bit out of me. First four reps not to bad, rep 5+6 had to work hard,rep 7 legs heavy/breathing getting out of control at end, last rep same as 7 just a bit worse :D Was glad when it was over :)

1 1.0 km 5:50 5:50 /km 3 m
    2 1.0 km 5:40 5:40 /km 7 m
    3 0.9 km 4:55 5:43 /km -21 m
    4 0.4 km 1:33 4:06 /km 6 m
    5 0.4 km 2:15 5:48 /km -6 m
    6 0.4 km 2:23 6:00 /km -6 m
    8 0.4 km 1:26 3:48 /km 7 m
    9 0.4 km 3:05 7:20 /km -7 m
    10 0.4 km 1:25 3:47 /km 7 m
    11 0.4 km 2:22 5:53 /km -7 m
    12 0.4 km 1:33 4:06 /km 7 m
    13 0.4 km 2:21 5:55 /km -7 m
    14 0.4 km 1:32 4:05 /km 6 m
    15 0.4 km 2:22 6:05 /km -7 m
    16 0.4 km 1:31 4:01 /km 7 m
    17 0.4 km 2:27 6:06 /km -6 m
    18 0.4 km 1:30 4:02 /km 6 m
    19 1.0 km 5:51 5:51 /km 13 m
    20 1.0 km 5:32 5:32 /km 0 m
    21 1.0 km 5:29 5:29 /km -1 m
    22 0.2 km 1:15 5:09 /km -7 m

Total 12 kms
    Felt good after I done it. These harder efforts have been lacking in my running as my runs were becoming a bit predictable/stale..

Next week i'm planning on doing the full session ie including threshold and hopefully continue on with the sessions in full...

Hope everyone is doing well :)

Hope all is going well out there! Good to see we are getting more interaction again in the thread.

We are now on to the last block of the winter training plan i laid out and also likely the toughest.. However we have been building up to this for the last 8 weeks so if you stuck to the plan you will be well able for it.

Now is the time to start looking ahead once this plan is completed and see where you are setting your goals on and how to kick on from here. This plan will end on 23rd of Feb.

Feel free to post your thoughts on what you plan to do and I can advise.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    7m easy (inc. 6x100m strides)|Rest|Session|4m recovery|6m easy|Rest|14m easy|40m

Session:

2.5 miles warm up
    3 x {1600m @ 10KM pace (2') + 800m @ 5KM pace (2')}
    2 miles cool down

So session is pretty much 4 laps at 10k pace with 2 min recovery and then 2 laps at 5 k pace with 2 min recovery and do this 3 times.

If you need to take an extra minute recovery between each set then do. Don't start the next rep out of breath. Also recovery can be standing or a crawling jog around in circles if you are on a track :D the jog recovery will be the tougher option but whatever you are used to. It's personal preference.

Any questions just shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Hey coach, :D

I plan on racing 5 miles Thursday night, could I possibly squeeze in the session tomorrow and race on Thurs or will the race itself be enough of a session?

Also, I'm going to London for the weekend on Sat, so no harm in doing the long run very slowly on Friday if the body doesn't have any injuries after the race?

• Advertisement

Hey coach, :D

I plan on racing 5 miles Thursday night, could I possibly squeeze in the session tomorrow and race on Thurs or will the race itself be enough of a session?

Also, I'm going to London for the weekend on Sat, so no harm in doing the long run very slowly on Friday if the body doesn't have any injuries after the race?

The race thursday can replace the session, keep tomorrows run as easy.

In terms of the long run, pack your runners in the bag for london! ;)

I wouldnt do an LSR after a race day personally, but it all depends on how your body feels. So you can make that judgement call...sure an LSR would be a great method to see the london sights! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hi Blockic,

Similar query myself. Have the Regent Park 10k on Sunday and would take recommendations on what to do with this week then?

Was considering the Mon, Wed, Thurs runs. Unsure on the Friday? Might move the Thursday run to Tuesday myself just for my own weekly planning.

Woden wrote: »
    Hi Blockic,

Similar query myself. Have the Regent Park 10k on Sunday and would take recommendations on what to do with this week then?

Was considering the Mon, Wed, Thurs runs. Unsure on the Friday? Might move the Thursday run to Tuesday myself just for my own weekly planning.

Hi Woden,

I would suggest moving the Session to tomorrow and the Thursday run to Wednesday. Thursday can be rest. Cut the Friday run to 4 miles and run the race instead of the LSR.

The recovery run should always be after the session as if you moved it directlty to Tuesday it would not make sense as you wouldn't need a recovery from the easy run on Monday.

Hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

So I did the Dungarvan 10mile yesterday, second time running this race.

First of all I honestly and truly did not expect a good time after all the excess of Christmas and lack of training over that period and totally did not expect to get 82mins!! My plan was to go with the 90mins guys and try to stay with them until the downhill section at mile 6 and push on from there if I could and hopefully I would get 88mins as that was my PB for 10miles… It was like Armageddon at the start with the delay because of a funeral that was going on and then with the wind, rain, hail and sleet it was fecking crazy I don’t think I was ever as cold in my life but it was really just bad timing for everything to happen at the same time… At the start I was a good bit ahead of the 90mins pacers so I was thinking feck I will just pace myself but when I checked my watch after the second mile I could see that I was going waaay quicker than expected and I could see the 85min pacers ahead, so I said to myself to keep them in sight and try to slowly reel them him as I was feeling really comfortable with the pace, and I managed to catch them at mile 6. I was feeling really comfortable throughout the whole thing especially the middle section when the miles were just flying by, I even passed the great John Treacy at mile 7. Last year I really struggled at the uphill section at mile 8, so this year I said to myself that no one was going to pass me out on the hill and that’s exactly what happened I was flying by people (did 8-02 on that mile), great feeling. I loved the bell with 400m to go as I said that’s only one lap of the track and it made me push on for a strong finish.

As usual great organised race and the dry fit T-Shirt is nearly worth the entry alone.

Splits were
    1 – 8:37
    2 – 8:40
    3 – 8:27
    4 – 8:25
    5 – 8:14
    6 – 8:09
    7 – 7:50
    8 – 7:57
    9 – 8:02
    10 – 7:14
    Old PB for 10miles was 88mins, time for dungarvan last year was 93mins an 11minute improvement in time from last year’s race!!!

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    So I did the Dungarvan 10mile yesterday, second time running this race.

First of all I honestly and truly did not expect a good time after all the excess of Christmas and lack of training over that period and totally did not expect to get 82mins!! My plan was to go with the 90mins guys and try to stay with them until the downhill section at mile 6 and push on from there if I could and hopefully I would get 88mins as that was my PB for 10miles… It was like Armageddon at the start with the delay because of a funeral that was going on and then with the wind, rain, hail and sleet it was fecking crazy I don’t think I was ever as cold in my life but it was really just bad timing for everything to happen at the same time… At the start I was a good bit ahead of the 90mins pacers so I was thinking feck I will just pace myself but when I checked my watch after the second mile I could see that I was going waaay quicker than expected and I could see the 85min pacers ahead, so I said to myself to keep them in sight and try to slowly reel them him as I was feeling really comfortable with the pace, and I managed to catch them at mile 6. I was feeling really comfortable throughout the whole thing especially the middle section when the miles were just flying by, I even passed the great John Treacy at mile 7. Last year I really struggled at the uphill section at mile 8, so this year I said to myself that no one was going to pass me out on the hill and that’s exactly what happened I was flying by people (did 8-02 on that mile), great feeling. I loved the bell with 400m to go as I said that’s only one lap of the track and it made me push on for a strong finish.

As usual great organised race and the dry fit T-Shirt is nearly worth the entry alone.

Splits were
    1 – 8:37
    2 – 8:40
    3 – 8:27
    4 – 8:25
    5 – 8:14
    6 – 8:09
    7 – 7:50
    8 – 7:57
    9 – 8:02
    10 – 7:14
    Old PB for 10miles was 88mins, time for dungarvan last year was 93mins an 11minute improvement in time from last year’s race!!!

Wow the perfect race! Fair play to you, well deserved!

• Advertisement

Hi Blockic, thanks for the plan. I do follow it most weeks getting lsr and session done but Im still not getting above 33/35 miles due to juggling childcare and work, this will get easier as Spring sets in and I can run some mornings. Once your plan is finished I will be looking to the River Moy half at the end of May. I ran this in 1hr 54 min last year and am hoping to take a bit off that. I have 5 km planned for feb and 10km for March and April. Any advice on Half marathon plan will be welcomed when I finish this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

January has flown by for me and the mileage is slowly but finally starting to build (though nowhere near some of you folks!). Did another one of the Marlay Park ParkRuns the weekend before last and took another 30secs off my PB so absolutely delighted with the progress there. Mileage last week was back to 20 miles and plan for this week is to hit 23/24 miles before I embark on my 12 week HM training program.

I did tonight for the laugh try one of these famous sessions Blockic has been setting us all. Had got out of work very early so headed over to the Kilgobbet cinder track.

2 Miles Warm-up @ 8:35
    8 x 500m @ 5km pace - Okay so the distances aren't exactly 500 meters as I hadn't changed the garmin settings which was set to miles so I ran .30 of a mile each time, followed by .10 of a recovery jog. Times listed as follows (not sure if I should be listing average pace instead :confused:)
    2:06.4
    2:02.8
    2:04.4
    2:12 (got attacked by a little dog during this one so had to stop mid way to scare him away)
    2:05.1
    2:04.8
    2:05.5
    2:07.6
    1.5 miles warm down @ 8:45

Really enjoyed it and felt a good bit of warmth in the lungs when I got home. :p
    Think I'll go venture off to the Garmin thread and hit up Krusty_Clown for some advice on using this Garmin 220 properly for these sessions.

Question for you Blockic - I'm going to be following the HalHigdon Intermediate HM training program. I know when I started my Marathon program the advice was to absolutely follow the program ... just wondering is it necessary as a graduate (:D) to roll the mileage way down again to follow the program or would it be okay to start at say week 3 or 4 of the program where the weekly mileage is close to what I'm doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi Blockic, thanks for the plan. I do follow it most weeks getting lsr and session done but Im still not getting above 33/35 miles due to juggling childcare and work, this will get easier as Spring sets in and I can run some mornings. Once your plan is finished I will be looking to the River Moy half at the end of May. I ran this in 1hr 54 min last year and am hoping to take a bit off that. I have 5 km planned for feb and 10km for March and April. Any advice on Half marathon plan will be welcomed when I finish this one.

I know you are looking for Blockic's advice but I do think the HalHigdon Half Marathon Intermediate is fairly similar to what we've all been asked to do here over the past couple of months. Mileage is a bit lower also so could really suit you: http://halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program

donnacha wrote: »
    I know you are looking for Blockic's advice but I do think the HalHigdon Half Marathon Intermediate is fairly similar to what we've all been asked to do here over the past couple of months. Mileage is a bit lower also so could really suit you: http://halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program

Thanks for that will definitely take a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Did anyone else buy Hals novice 1 or 2 training programme apps for DCM '13? I did and it's brilliant - every mile the man himself's voice breaks into your music playlist to shout one of "Hal's motivators" - "you can do it!", "you look great"..."go hard or go home" etc. ....so funny. I kept expecting him to jump our from behind a bush and hand me an energy drink or something. Sadly I checked and he hasn't recorded a intermediate app. VERY tempted to record one...but what's the best motivating accent to use.....torn between authentic Cork GAA coach roaring and army drill-sergeant.:) May fire up Hal again for tomorrows session :)

I did tonight for the laugh try one of these famous sessions Blockic has been setting us all.

8 x 500m @ 5km pace

Ha, what week did I set that session? 500m..interesting! ;)
    Think I'll go venture off to the Garmin thread and hit up Krusty_Clown for some advice on using this Garmin 220 properly for these sessions.

If you stick to kilbogget track you might even get advice face-to-face, he is often seen doing sessions on that track!

Question for you Blockic - I'm going to be following the HalHigdon Intermediate HM training program. I know when I started my Marathon program the advice was to absolutely follow the program ... just wondering is it necessary as a graduate (:D) to roll the mileage way down again to follow the program or would it be okay to start at say week 3 or 4 of the program where the weekly mileage is close to what I'm doing now.

Although it is an intermediate plan, I would think that you would be well above the purpose of the intermediate plan. The long runs on it are aimed at people who are building up to a half marathon, for the first time, from a low base, you have been building well with good LSRs well beyond 5-8miles at this stage. Doing LSRs of this distance would be a step back IMO.

Looking at it, the structure is very similar to my plan in fact..

You could use it as a structure but I would advise that you continue to do LSRs in the 10-16 mile range, going over-distance in the LSRs will continue to improve your aerobic base.

At this stage, the quickest way to improve is more miles and consistancy (no easy way out unfortunately!). If you can hit 40-45 mile weeks consistanty then everything will fall into place.

The tempo's are good. Stick with them, but again the speed sessions are a bit on the soft side to what we have been doing plus you would get fair sick of 400s after it.

Maybe build up from 12x400s, 6x800s, 5x1k, 2x2k + 1x1k etc.

The key session for me in a half marathon plan is the build up to 7miles at target pace and do it 10 days out from the race. If you can hit the pace in this session, it bodes well for hitting the target.

Maybe what I will do after this plan is layout some key sessions for a half marathon plan/10 km plan and ye can flesh out the rest of the plan to suit the personal cirtcumstances by adding in easy runs and the LSR.

That was a response for Sam too btw! 2 for 1! ;)

Maybe what I will do after this plan is layout some key sessions for a half marathon plan/10 km plan and ye can flesh out the rest of the plan to suit the personal cirtcumstances by adding in easy runs and the LSR.

That was a response for Sam too btw! 2 for 1! ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Blockic, that sounds great.

Did the session yesterday evening, 2 mile warm up, 3x1mile @7.25,7.25,7.26
    [EMAIL="3x800m@3.38,3.40.3.41"]3x800m@3.38,3.40.3.41[/EMAIL] , 1 mile cool down ( was rushing to let OH go to work)
    This was tough, didn't take full 2 min between the 10km and 5km intervals just waited for breathing to return to normal, also very little if anything between 10km and 5 km pace so took off too fast I suppose. Felt great after though, legs a bit stiff today so will get recovery run in later hopefully.

Did the week 13 session in the park today. Lashing rain so had the place to myself - lovely. Did warm up 2.5M and cool down 3M each at around 10:30 then the 3*miles at around 07:45 mins and the 3*half miles at around 03:30 each. Tired afterward but good tired. Feeling stronger and faster each week.

Thinking about a plan for the rest of the year. Committed to running under 4 hours in DCM (and that's my only real important goal for the year). I'll definitely run the full race series : 5M, 10k, Frank Duffy 10M and HM in June though September so I think I'll try to get another race at each of those distances between the end of Blockics winter plan and June.

Would really welcome ye're views please - if the goal is a much improved DCM in Oct is it 'better' to build up through shorter distance races in the spring or to shoot for another full marathon in the spring instead ? From the threads I'm following (Ososlo and some other's training logs and ye're race reports are really helpful here) there seems to be more to be gotten from doing more organised races more often in terms of fitness, confidence, pacing etc.....Any pointers please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

saucyjack wrote: »
    Would really welcome ye're views please - if the goal is a much improved DCM in Oct is it 'better' to build up through shorter distance races in the spring or to shoot for another full marathon in the spring instead ? From the threads I'm following (Ososlo and some other's training logs and ye're race reports are really helpful here) there seems to be more to be gotten from doing more organised races more often in terms of fitness, confidence, pacing etc.....Any pointers please?

I think majority of people running their first or second marathon benefit hugely from taking a step back from racing a marathon for one cycle and build up their endurance. There is not much difference between training for a mile race and a marathon (outside of specific sessions) each of these distances requires a good aerobic engine as such I would say a decent relatively high mileage progression (build on a month by month basis) will stand to you.

Try to spread this out over the week with your long runs being pulled back a bit shorter (90 min to 1 hr 45 min tops)

Focus on consistent week in/ week out training and it will yield great results.

Aim to try and build by five miles a month with a step back week every fourth week (roughly 25% off the months high) too allow your body to adapt. Look to throw in a race every 4 weeks as a target for each month to aim for of 5k-10k in distance.

Do this and by the time your next marathon comes along you will have built up a great aerobic base to the point where you will be up to 50mpw at the start of the program and from there you can start to lengthen the long runs and start to make the sessions more specific.

The consistency and patience will yield huge benefits to any runner and you will surprise yourself. The majority of people get into training ill prepared and end up in a vicious cycle of marathon cycle after marathon cycle where although they see huge benefits, most of this is down to their body finally becoming prepared to actually handling proper marathon training.

With a sensible approach there is no reason why 90% of the general public (without underlying issues) can't achieve the likes of a sub 3.20 and beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

saucyjack wrote: »
    Thinking about a plan for the rest of the year. Committed to running under 4 hours in DCM (and that's my only real important goal for the year). I'll definitely run the full race series : 5M, 10k, Frank Duffy 10M and HM in June though September so I think I'll try to get another race at each of those distances between the end of Blockics winter plan and June.

I have the same DCM goal as yourself saucyjack. Looking forward to the drinks in McGrattans afterwards already:D
    Just to let you know what my approach is:

You're probably a lot faster over the shorter distances than I am so my plan is to work on 5k and 10k times for the next few months and maybe look at an early Summer half marathon. I was going to do a Spring marathon but was advised against it as I mightn't make great improvements in my time if I were to jump straight into marathon training again. I have no interest in knocking 15/20 mins off my marathon time. I only want to do it when I'm very confident of knocking off 30+ mins. For me this means working on speed first and foremost. I'm not doing any races until March but hope to start doing plenty after that and throw in Parkruns whenever possible to test myself.
    Can't wait to get into specific marathon training come Summer:D

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    I think majority of people running their first or second marathon benefit hugely from taking a step back from racing a marathon for one cycle and build up their endurance. There is not much difference between training for a mile race and a marathon (outside of specific sessions) each of these distances requires a good aerobic engine as such I would say a decent relatively high mileage progression (build on a month by month basis) will stand to you.

Try to spread this out over the week with your long runs being pulled back a bit shorter (90 min to 1 hr 45 min tops)

Focus on consistent week in/ week out training and it will yield great results.

Aim to try and build by five miles a month with a step back week every fourth week (roughly 25% off the months high) too allow your body to adapt. Look to throw in a race every 4 weeks as a target for each month to aim for of 5k-10k in distance.

Do this and by the time your next marathon comes along you will have built up a great aerobic base to the point where you will be up to 50mpw at the start of the program and from there you can start to lengthen the long runs and start to make the sessions more specific.

The consistency and patience will yield huge benefits to any runner and you will surprise yourself. The majority of people get into training ill prepared and end up in a vicious cycle of marathon cycle after marathon cycle where although they see huge benefits, most of this is down to their body finally becoming prepared to actually handling proper marathon training.

With a sensible approach there is no reason why 90% of the general public (without underlying issues) can't achieve the likes of a sub 3.20 and beyond.

Ecoli that's really very helpful. Thanks very much for the advice and encouragement there…it's much appreciated.

Ososlo wrote: »
    I have the same DCM goal as yourself saucyjack. Looking forward to the drinks in McGrattans afterwards already:D
    Just to let you know what my approach is:

You're probably a lot faster over the shorter distances than I am so my plan is to work on 5k and 10k times for the next few months and maybe look at an early Summer half marathon. I was going to do a Spring marathon but was advised against it as I mightn't make great improvements in my time if I were to jump straight into marathon training again. I have no interest in knocking 15/20 mins off my marathon time. I only want to do it when I'm very confident of knocking off 30+ mins. For me this means working on speed first and foremost. I'm not doing any races until March but hope to start doing plenty after that and throw in Parkruns whenever possible to test myself.
    Can't wait to get into specific marathon training come Summer:D

Thanks Ososlo! I'm thinking now that I won't plan a full marathon in spring (which had long been in my mind). I'm with you on DCM goal…absolutely determined to slash 30+ mins off last year and I think hard work on basic endurance and growing focus on sustained speed will get me there. Going to pull out the Irish runner calendar this weekend and mark out some target 5 and 10ks along the lines Ecoli's suggested looking at. Re McGhettigans may be the first time I've fallen INTO the place :) thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Got the session in last night in a run which involved lots of rain and a neon yellow top and bloody nipples which did not go well together!

No track again but did the interval sections at

1600m - 4:21/k - 800m - 4:10/k
    1600m - 4:24/k - 800m - 4:15/k
    1600m - 4:25/k - 800m - 4:17/k

with 400 m recovery between the sections. Enjoyed it to a certain degree!

Had to combine the 4M recovery (@11min/M) and 6M easy (@10ish min/M) last night. Went out late so not a sinner on the roads and got back to the saucy gaff with the world put all to rights in my head anyways. Noticed that the Asics Kayano's are pretty worn though - gosh the cost of these things....off to the great thread so....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

Hi Blockic thanks for the plan. I'm following it as much as I can since mid December. My weekly mileage is only around the 30 miles. Hoping to get closer to 35 this week but can't see myself being able to do any more until the mornings get a bit brighter! Have done most of the sessions but not great at pacing myself! Need to push myself more!

Anyway did Wednesday session on the track. I go by kilometres(sorry) did 4.5km warmup and 2.5km cool down. Splits for 1600s were 8:23, 7:59. 7:48;
    800s were 3:48; 3:36; 3:35; didn't take full 2mins rest between intervals. Recovered too easy so I presume I'm not doing intervals hard enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Just in case anyone is wondering, I've hidden all the old sheets leading up to dcm on the mileage tracker sheet in Google docs as it's getting too cluttered. They're still there if you want to see them just go to ---view---hidden sheets.

Ok so thoughts on wednesdays session :D
    Tough, yep, i found it tough especially as I wasn't on track and had to deal with some hills during the run. It's no biggie, just find it hard seeing how i'm doing pace wise but maybe I should just try to make it 5k and 10k effort rather than true pace, idk.
    I did a drive by the local track on the tuesday, but daylight was an issue, might just make it if i go straight from work though... Anyway, ballpark splits were ;
    4k warm up around 6.0/km
    1.8k @ 4.21/km >>>0.3k walk/jog @10.30/km
    0.8k @ 4.08/km >>> 0.3km walk/jog @ 10.50/km
    1.8k @ 4.30/km >>>0.3km walk/jog @ 11.12/km
    0.8k @ 4.27/km >>>0.3km walk/jog @ 10.53/km
    1.6k @ 4.37/km >>>0.2km walk/jog @ 11.04/km
    0.8k @ 4.30/km >>>0.6km walk/jog @ 5.58/km

You will notice my blunder of doing 2 1800's instead of 1600's :D And also the noticable drop off in pace for each rep. The drop off i'd say is a combination of tiredness/course elevation/wind, and new training effort levels.. If there's a similar plan next week, i'll try to get to the track to narrow it down a bit...

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Tough, yep, i found it tough especially as I wasn't on track and had to deal with some hills during the run. It's no biggie, just find it hard seeing how i'm doing pace wise but maybe I should just try to make it 5k and 10k effort rather than true pace, idk.
    I did a drive by the local track on the tuesday, but daylight was an issue, might just make it if i go straight from work though... Anyway, ballpark splits were ;
    4k warm up around 6.0/km

You will notice my blunder of doing 2 1800's instead of 1600's :D And also the noticable drop off in pace for each rep. The drop off i'd say is a combination of tiredness/course elevation/wind, and new training effort levels.. If there's a similar plan next week, i'll try to get to the track to narrow it down a bit...
    I hate running on the track except for these sessions, Id say it s much harder to do on the road, having said that I found this hard too! You racing in Maree on Sunday?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    You racing in Maree on Sunday?

Not planned on it as yet, but when the time comes I just might :D If I don't race it i'll be calling up to support. Hopefully those roads won't be washed away along the tawin peninsula :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

martyboy48 wrote: »
    4k warm up around 6.0/km

Just a few comments on the interval session mb.

First of all, you mentioned the course elevation. I would say that ideally you would want to be doing these sessions on a flat as course as possible. If you can't get to the track, pick out a circuit that is as flat as possible. Even if this means doing a very short lap loads and loads of time. You can look like a bit of a nutter doing this but it's all about the end goal eh?:)

Secondly, I'd watch the drift on the pace over the reps. Don't worry about being too slow going out. If it feels too easy half way through, then pick up the pace a little at this stage. You want the pace on the reps to be as even as possible with the effort to hit that pace going up as the session progresses. If you end every rep and see that pace going up, it can be very disheartening and mentally it gets tougher to really push yourself. Until you get really used to doing these sessions, be a little conservative so you can be sure that last rep is going to be your fastest one.

Other than that, it was a really good session and these are the ones that will see you progressing really quickly and make the other easy runs during the week seem that little bit easier.

Advertisement