Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Thanks for the advice KU..
    On point 1, ya i realize now how hard it is to get true reading on an elevating course. Was planning on trying to get to track if daylight allows, but I never even thought of a short flat loop... Cheers for that, I have an out and back road in mind already :)

On point 2, i'll try to be a little more conservative going out in future, or at least keep an eye on it. The wind also was a factor in that session so the track might be my best bet if I can make it... The Galway track "seems" to be sheltered enough..

It's all a learning curve for me 2 sessions in :)
    Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

KU was given great advise there to you martyboy, not much more I can add myself!

Well done on getting through the session last week, I have done that one before and it sure is a gritty one but it feels great once done!

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    6m easy|Rest|Session|4m recovery|7m easy (inc. 6x100m strides)|Rest|15m easy|42m

Session:

1.5 miles warm up
    4 miles @ HMP
    4 min recovery jog
    3 miles @ HMP
    1 mile cool down

On to this weeks plan, which sees the last of the threshold sessions in the program. Another toughy but this will give a great indication as to what your HMP would be for those looking to kick on to a Half Marathon after this plan.

Try and keep the pace miles as consistant as possible and if needs be start off a little conservative and build into it. Take plenty recovery between the HMP miles and once fully recovered take off on the next 3.

If you are finding it too tough halfway through you can split the last 3 into a 2+1 with a small recovery between.

KU made a great point in that you should try find a flat route for these sessions, especially the speedier 10/5km work.

We are almost there, hope you are finding benefit from the plan and I'm sure that this consistant running over the winter will really set you up with a great base when racing season starts.

Finally, Hon the Seahawks!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Cheers Blockic. Did my 10k yesterday in 43:03 in the end so was quite happy with that. Bit more detail here!

The advice is still roughly 1 day off per mile raced with regards to hard running/sessions yeah?

Trying to decide what I want out of this a bit more long term also. Do I want to maintain the mileage a week, join a club, bring my bike back into things, how to organise the runs so it feels a bit less restrictive on my life.. That is a separate issue however! I have brought some shirts and a towel into work this morning though. So perhaps some morning running to coincide with the Tube strikes this week!

Woden wrote: »
    Cheers Blockic. Did my 10k yesterday in 43:03 in the end so was quite happy with that. Bit more detail here!

The advice is still roughly 1 day off per mile raced with regards to hard running/sessions yeah?

Hi Woden,

Well done on that time! Yeah rule of thumb is an easy day for every mile raced so probably best to run easy miles instead of the session this week. Lucky you! :D

Yeeeeeeessssss! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Yeeeeeeessssss! :p[/QUOTE
    ]Lucky fecker, look at that session , torture!:eek:

Im running in Maree 8 km on Sunday, I did my lsr of 12 miles today as I was off and it was a fab day. Will I do the session this week ?(please say no, please)Im not really bothered about the time in this race, its more of an excuse to go to see my sister, and visiting the sister is not compatible with good race preparations if you follow me!

I did the session last week Sam before the race I had on Sunday. Just saying you know... Enjoy!

I did the session last week Sam before the race I had on Sunday. Just saying you know... Enjoy!
    Thanks for sharing now feck off :p Nice racing well done!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Im running in Maree 8 km on Sunday, I did my lsr of 12 miles today as I was off and it was a fab day. Will I do the session this week ?(please say no, please)Im not really bothered about the time in this race, its more of an excuse to go to see my sister, and visiting the sister is not compatible with good race preparations if you follow me!

LSR on a monday? When did you do last weeks LSR?

They should be kept a reasonable distance of days apart if possible, I wouldn't advise doing them close together.

If you post up what you done the last 3 or 4 days and what you plan to do the next 6 days and I can take a look.

Seeing as you have an 8k Sunday I won't advise you to do the full Session but the fact that you are not really bothered on the time in the race means you are going to do some form of a session! :D I'll put one up for you after I have seen what you have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Bit late with the report but I'll keep it a short one. Did the winter league 5 mile race this Thursday gone. Results went up on Sat night and I've been in London since so not had a chance to get online.

The race operates under a staggered start and there's no watches allowed so I can't go into detail about each mile, although it felt that I was getting faster and finding a good rhythm as the race went on.

Chip time = 31.53 :D:D:D

Hopefully this weekend in London hasn't done too much damage (:o) but according to McMillian I'm set to give a sub 90 half a crack in Tralee. This also means tougher sessions though :eek:

blockic wrote: »
    LSR on a monday? When did you do last weeks LSR?

They should be kept a reasonable distance of days apart if possible, I wouldn't advise doing them close together.

If you post up what you done the last 3 or 4 days and what you plan to do the next 6 days and I can take a look.

Seeing as you have an 8k Sunday I won't advise you to do the full Session but the fact that you are not really bothered on the time in the race means you are going to do some form of a session! :D I'll put one up for you after I have seen what you have done.

I did my LSR of 10 miles Saturday, Sunday was rest day and ended up doing 12 yesterday because for once I had lots of time ( not smart I know). It actually suits better for me to do LSR early in week though. My plan was to run 5/6 easy today and I know Thursday is a rest day so that's as far as I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Started wk 1 of my HM plan this week. Last night was 4m easy including 4 x 100m strides.

Tonight was my session which called for 8 x 400 @ 5k pace. My fastest 5k to date was a 21.34 at Marlay Park Run so I had 6:50 in my head as a 5k pace.

Warm-up was 1.5miles @ 8:40 pace

Split |Time |Avg Pace

1 |1:45.4 |7:01|

2 |1:39.5 |6:43|

3 |1:38.5 |6:34|

4 |1:37.0 |6:31|

5 |1:40.4 |6:43|

6 |1:39.5 |6:45|

7 |1:39.8 |6:41|

8 |1:39.6 |6:43|

I separated the splits with 100m of light jogging/walking/recovery (not sure if that distance sounds about right?).

Finished off with a 1.5mile warm-down @ 8:40 pace

Happy enough with it as a first planned session. It was fairly windy on the track in Kilbogget and large parts were under water so took a lot of concentration in the relative dark.

Hope ye don't mind me posting these sessions on this thread even though I'm not following Blockic's plan - I'm not too keen at this point on starting my own log but I do want to record these somewhere and of course get any feedback on where I need to improve.

Off work today so I measured the weather last night vs the weather this morning and it was an easy choice as to when I'd be doing this weeks session. Got myself 13 hours sleep last night so well rested for it. New target HMP = 6.50

1.5 miles warm up @ 8.07
    4 miles @ HMP (6.44, 6.29, 6.39, 6.39)
    4.22 min recovery @ 9.47
    3 miles @ HMP (6.49, 6.39, 6.43)
    1.06 miles warm down @ 9.36
    10.01 miles total @ 7.21

Much tough session with the targets more accurate to where I am atm. The last mile I was really starting to lose control of my breathing but got there all the same. Need to start running these more even and closer to the target I feel also. One or two flattering miles with a downhill section and the corresponding uphill not until the following mile.

Next race for me, Dungarvan 10K on the 23rd. Ideal as it's 3 weeks from Tralee and also comes at the end of this plan. Not sure what the course is like but will be hoping I can go sub 40. :eek:

Off work today so I measured the weather last night vs the weather this morning and it was an easy choice as to when I'd be doing this weeks session. Got myself 13 hours sleep last night so well rested for it. New target HMP = 6.50

1.5 miles warm up @ 8.07
    4.22 min recovery @ 9.47
    10.01 miles total @ 7.21

Much tough session with the targets more accurate to where I am atm. The last mile I was really starting to lose control of my breathing but got there all the same. Need to start running these more even and closer to the target I feel also. One or two flattering miles with a downhill section and the corresponding uphill not until the following mile.

Next race for me, Dungarvan 10K on the 23rd. Ideal as it's 3 weeks from Tralee and also comes at the end of this plan. Not sure what the course is like but will be hoping I can go sub 40. :eek:

Jes Im tired just reading it, nice work

1 mile warm up
    4 miles HM @ 8.20,8.16,8.17,8.20
    1 mile cool down.

Happy enough with this, had improved from last time I felt.
    Was happy not to have to do 3 more miles too:P

New target HMP = 6.50

I find it hard to remember peoples past times etc - was just looking back there and your previous HM target pace was 30 secs off this - thats amazing progress!
    1.5 miles warm up @ 8.07
    4.22 min recovery @ 9.47
    10.01 miles total @ 7.21

Looks and reads like a great session. Well done.

Think I'll make some mods to my HM plan and introduce this type of session as I only seem to have alternating weeks of tempo runs v 5-k pace runs. Was also going to add a fartlek or two :pac:

donnacha wrote: »
    I find it hard to remember peoples past times etc - was just looking back there and your previous HM target pace was 30 secs off this - thats amazing progress!

To be fair that was based of a race back in the start of September as I hadn't run a race since DCM until last week. In saying that I seem to be responding well to and (probably more importantly) enjoying these sessions. Just praying I can stay injury free and stay improving.

Next week's plan is up a day early as I won't be near a computer for the next couple days.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    7m easy|Rest|Session|4m recovery|7m easy (inc. 6x100m strides)|Rest|16m easy|42m

Session:

15 minute warm up
    1min hard/2min hard/3min hard/4min hard/5min hard/4 min hard/3 min hard/2 min hard/1min hard
    15 minute cool down

This session might bring back some memories of all the way back to the first week of the plan.

Between each hard rep, take half the time as a recovery jog. So 1min hard/ 30 sec easy/ 2 min hard/ 1 min easy etc.....

Enjoy and best of luck to anyone racing tomorrow!

Blustery but calmed down quite nicely to get in this weeks session tonight. Tried to keep the pace between 5-10k for the hard parts of the session.

15 min warm up @ 8.33
    1-5-1 min hard pyramid @ (6.02, 6.12, 6.14, 6.14, 6.14, 6.25, 6.14, 6.13, 6.03)
    15 min cool down @ 9.42
    Total 8.55 @ 7.54

Apart from that 4 min into the wind @ 6.25 this one went pretty good. Really enjoy opening the legs up near 5k pace. Will have to make my debut in one after Tralee. Debating if I'll do a 10K in Dungarvan the weekend after this or not. Going to want to race it flat out and try for sub 40 if I do. Would it have an adverse affect on Tralee three weeks later? Would I be better doing a long run and staying fresh for Tralee? The recent thread on marathon preparation has me (over)thinking it.

• Advertisement

Nice stuff Skeleton. I cried off it myself on Tuesday as was not 100% and replaced it with Friday's run. Resolved to get it in tonight instead.

Blustery but calmed down quite nicely to get in this weeks session tonight. Tried to keep the pace between 5-10k for the hard parts of the session.

15 min warm up @ 8.33
    1-5-1 min hard pyramid @ (6.02, 6.12, 6.14, 6.14, 6.14, 6.25, 6.14, 6.13, 6.03)
    15 min cool down @ 9.42
    Total 8.55 @ 7.54

Apart from that 4 min into the wind @ 6.25 this one went pretty good. Really enjoy opening the legs up near 5k pace. Will have to make my debut in one after Tralee. Debating if I'll do a 10K in Dungarvan the weekend after this or not. Going to want to race it flat out and try for sub 40 if I do. Would it have an adverse affect on Tralee three weeks later? Would I be better doing a long run and staying fresh for Tralee? The recent thread on marathon preparation has me (over)thinking it.
    Nice work , you are flying. Regards the race I did a 10 km 2 weeks out from DCM and found it a good confidence boast. Would it be risking injury doing that session and a 10km so close together?

I did nt do the session as I had a race on Sunday, did 6 miles with strides instead yesterday. This week every run I get in is a bonus as weather here is mental.

Will have to make my debut in one after Tralee. Debating if I'll do a 10K in Dungarvan the weekend after this or not. Going to want to race it flat out and try for sub 40 if I do. Would it have an adverse affect on Tralee three weeks later? Would I be better doing a long run and staying fresh for Tralee? The recent thread on marathon preparation has me (over)thinking it.

Great session SB, How have the long run's gone lately. How many 20s have you done?

I would think that the 10km race is ideal for the lead up to the marathon and you will have plenty of time in 3 weeks to recover. If I was you I would do it but I'm a fan of having a couple of races in the the marathon lead up. Others would not race so again it is all about how you wish to approach it.

Nice work , you are flying. Regards the race I did a 10 km 2 weeks out from DCM and found it a good confidence boast. Would it be risking injury doing that session and a 10km so close together?

The session will be 10 days before the race so I wouldn't see that as an issue.

This week every run I get in is a bonus as weather here is mental.

Softy! ;)

Great session SB, How have the long run's gone lately. How many 20s have you done?

I would think that the 10km race is ideal for the lead up to the marathon and you will have plenty of time in 3 weeks to recover. If I was you I would do it but I'm a fan of having a couple of races in the the marathon lead up. Others would not race so again it is all about how you wish to approach it.

I meant having done a hard session last night and racing again this weekend, or is the race the following weekend?

Softy! ;)
    On the plus side when I leave the house with the wind on my back the neighbours keep commenting that Im great at running;) However I nearly had to phone home for a lift last night when I turned for home!

I meant having done a hard session last night and racing again this weekend, or is the race the following weekend?

Think it's the following weekend from his post.

Wk2 of my HM plan - was due a 40 minute tempo session last night but due to the weather just did an easy run last night and held off for the tempo tonight. What I've read up about tempo sessions is that a gradual build up is best and to target 10km pace approx 2/3 of the way into the run.

The following are my splits - any feedback would be welcome. Personally I'm fairly happy though I know I went a bit too hard in that my 5k pace is 6m55s (based on my 5km PB) and my 10km pace is 7m10s (need to run a 10km to get an average pace so this time is more of a goal 10km pace).

Great to have another session under the belt :)

Split |Time |Distance|Avg Pace

1|4:28.9|0.50|8:58
    2|4:14.3|0.50|8:29
    3|4:05.1|0.50|8:10
    4|3:52.3|0.50|7:45
    5|3:47.8|0.50|7:36
    6|3:37.6|0.50|7:15
    7|3:27.9|0.50|6:56
    8|3:41.0|0.50|7:22
    9|4:02.0|0.50|8:04
    10|4:10.6|0.49|8:33
    Summary| 39:27.5| 4.99| 7:55

• Advertisement

I'm not doing the full marathon, doing the half. Have pretty much been following this plan to the letter so long runs have been 8.30-9 pace over 14-16 miles. If a race would be an option with a marathon 3 weeks away, I assume it's also an option 3 weeks out form a half?

Advertisement