Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I got the session in last night then and was glad I postponed until the Thursday. Getting closer to that elusive 4min/k!

15 min warm up @ 5:18
    1-5-1 min hard pyramid @ (4.10, 4:06, 4:10, 4:03, 4.01, 4:04, 4.06, 4:04, 4.02)
    15 min cool down @ 5:30

Then undid the good work with pints and a kebab..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

blockic wrote: »
    Softy! ;)
    LSR done in a fecking blizzard, I wouldnt have kept going if it was nt for your words of motivation (I wont be having any Cork people calling me names). I was hoping to do 13 but my hands were so cold I could nt tie my laces when they came undone! I concentrated on keeping effort easy and consistent not sure what pace was as the watch died, one of those days:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

SamforMayo wrote: »
    LSR done in a fecking blizzard, I wouldnt have kept going if it was nt for your words of motivation (I wont be having any Cork people calling me names). I was hoping to do 13 but my hands were so cold I could nt tie my laces when they came undone! I concentrated on keeping effort easy and consistent not sure what pace was as the watch died, one of those days:rolleyes:

that is some dedication for going out in those conditions, i dont think i would have :eek:

I am having a very up and down and all around the place week! Coincidently the club session last Monday was the same as blockic plan (well pretty much, 2 4min instead of the 5min) so i got the session over and done with nice and early in the week, all reps were done around the 7min pace bar the first 2 at 6-40 pace. Tuesday did nothing. Wednesday was like end of the world so i couldnt (wasnt allowed) go for a run. Last night i went for a 5mile. I plan to do 6 this evening and 12-14 Sunday. I Dont think i would be able for 16 just yet.

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    that is some dedication for going out in those conditions, i dont think i would have :eek:

I am having a very up and down and all around the place week! Coincidently the club session last Monday was the same as blockic plan (well pretty much, 2 4min instead of the 5min) so i got the session over and done with nice and early in the week, all reps were done around the 7min pace bar the first 2 at 6-40 pace. Tuesday did nothing. Wednesday was like end of the world so i couldnt (wasnt allowed) go for a run. Last night i went for a 5mile. I plan to do 6 this evening and 12-14 Sunday. I Dont think i would be able for 16 just yet.
    It was grand when I left the house, this weather is a dose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm not doing the full marathon, doing the half. Have pretty much been following this plan to the letter so long runs have been 8.30-9 pace over 14-16 miles. If a race would be an option with a marathon 3 weeks away, I assume it's also an option 3 weeks out form a half?

Should be fine..just take it handy with no session the weeks after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Hi all,
    Found last weeks session tough enough tbh... Found it fairly rough for the last 3,2,1... The running was tough going but found it annoying guaging time and trying to look at watch nearing the time with poor enough eyesight and sweat/rain in my eyes :D:D
    I know I could probably have set up the watch for this session, but the beep tone on my 305 is barely audible nowadays... Starting to give a bit of issues(nothing major) but still, may treat myself soon enough....

I'm taking it that all these sessions i've started to do, and finding tough, will benefit me in future?? Otherwise, ye are cruel f^ckers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Found last weeks session tough enough tbh... Found it fairly rough for the last 3,2,1... The running was tough going but found it annoying guaging time and trying to look at watch nearing the time with poor enough eyesight and sweat/rain in my eyes :D:D
    I know I could probably have set up the watch for this session, but the beep tone on my 305 is barely audible nowadays... Starting to give a bit of issues(nothing major) but still, may treat myself soon enough....

I'm taking it that all these sessions i've started to do, and finding tough, will benefit me in future?? Otherwise, ye are cruel f^ckers :D

what's the target this year martyboy? dcm again?

Hi all,

I thinks it s a good sign if you find it hard, show s you are pushing yourself! When is your next race Marty?

Ososlo wrote: »
    what's the target this year martyboy? dcm again?
    How are you keeping Ososlo?? DCM is the main one for me this year. There'll be plenty of races that i'll want to do well in and show improvement, but DCM is the big one this year.
    I thinks it s a good sign if you find it hard, show s you are pushing yourself! When is your next race Marty?
    Alright Sam, hope all is well... Next race planned is Kinvara half on 1st March. Did it last year and like it.

Hmmmm... I must keep track of my spending this year on all running related expenses. I know it's probably way more than I think of the top of my head, but would be good to see a breakdown of the total....

Actually, I better not... Probably wouldn't be good for the heart :D

How are you keeping Ososlo?? DCM is the main one for me this year. There'll be plenty of races that i'll want to do well in and show improvement, but DCM is the big one this year.

Alright Sam, hope all is well... Next race planned is Kinvara half on 1st March. Did it last year and like it.

Hmmmm... I must keep track of my spending this year on all running related expenses. I know it's probably way more than I think of the top of my head, but would be good to see a breakdown of the total....

Actually, I better not... Probably wouldn't be good for the heart :D

I hear you on the spending, better not to know I d say. Is Kinvara half flat, what is your PB for half and what the target? (if its not a personal question:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

I hear you on the spending, better not to know I d say. Is Kinvara half flat, what is your PB for half and what the target? (if its not a personal question:rolleyes:)

From memory, Kinvara is relatively flat. Not pancake flat as there's a few short sharp rises to kill of tired legs but nothing to sinister..
    It is a fairly exposed course with regard to the wind, but was fairly calm last year.

PB for the half is 1:37:54(athlone flatline 2013). If my foot niggle is gone, I'll look to go under 1:35:00. This may not be achievable but I want to give it a go anyway and see how I cope with it.

I'm not very consistant with picking target times for races, it's mostly either PB pace and push on near the end if I have anything, or be adventurous and try PB -x mins and try to hang on.

Maybe others would share how ye pick a target time for a race? Is there any formula for it or is it just experience in knowing what shape you're in?? I think that's my problem really, I never really know if I'm in good enough shape to run a certain time ect...

From memory, Kinvara is relatively flat. Not pancake flat as there's a few short sharp rises to kill of tired legs but nothing to sinister..
    It is a fairly exposed course with regard to the wind, but was fairly calm last year.

PB for the half is 1:37:54(athlone flatline 2013). If my foot niggle is gone, I'll look to go under 1:35:00. This may not be achievable but I want to give it a go anyway and see how I cope with it.

I'm not very consistant with picking target times for races, it's mostly either PB pace and push on near the end if I have anything, or be adventurous and try PB -x mins and try to hang on.

Maybe others would share how ye pick a target time for a race? Is there any formula for it or is it just experience in knowing what shape you're in?? I think that's my problem really, I never really know if I'm in good enough shape to run a certain time ect...
    I have no clue about picking a pace either but you have a lot of training and experience since Athlone so your target sounds very achievable, fingers crossed ye get a calm day! Unfortunately my HM Pb is 1.54 if I ever see 1.39 I will retire a happy woman:D

I have no clue about picking a pace either but you have a lot of training and experience since Athlone so your target sounds very achievable, fingers crossed ye get a calm day! Unfortunately My HM Pb is 1.54, if I ever see and I am going to continue my training and work hard till I get a time of 1.39. I will retire be a happy woman then, but still continue to try to improve :D

That's more like it :D

Right boss, you lead the way on March 1 st and I will follow!

So here we have it, the last week of the winter plan, and it's an easy week too. Win-Win!

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    6m easy|Rest|Session|5m recovery|5m easy (inc. 6x100m strides)|Rest|13m easy|36m

Session:

2 mile warm up
    5 x 1000m @ 5K Pace with 90sec recovery
    2 mile cool down

Hope ye all enjoyed the plan. Sessions were tough at times but they have hopefully provided a good base for you all to kick on now for the rest of the year. :)

Where to next for everyone?
    What is you're big target for the year? Colours to the mast! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Thanks Blockic for this and all previous weeks plans! This winter training programme was a great bridge from DCM 13 into Spring plans. Have had a busted-ass knee for the last two weeks which kept me off the road but should safely manage a few miles of this weeks plan. Planning to be in shape (using a Runners World 12 week plan) for <2 hrs in the Great Limerick Run HM at the start of May and then use the DCM race series to build to a sub-4 hour DCM 14 - not yet sure what plan. Thanks once more for spending the time week-on-week building the plan and keeping the group going :)

saucyjack wrote: »
    Thanks Blockic for this and all previous weeks plans! This winter training programme was a great bridge from DCM 13 into Spring plans. Have had a busted-ass knee for the last two weeks which kept me off the road but should safely manage a few miles of this weeks plan. Planning to be in shape (using a Runners World 12 week plan) for <2 hrs in the Great Limerick Run HM at the start of May and then use the DCM race series to build to a sub-4 hour DCM 14 - not yet sure what plan. Thanks once more for spending the time week-on-week building the plan and keeping the group going :)

No worries saucyjack. Do you have a link to the RW plan. Woudl be interested in a taking a look just out of interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

Thanks for the plans Blockic, I really enjoyed the sessions. I've missed the last two weeks myself with a hip flexor injury. I'm more or less the same as saucyjack- clontarf half in July, the race series and of course DCM 2014-- I was thinking of using the Gerry Duffy half marathon plan level 2 for Clontarf..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Do you have a link to the RW plan....

Runner's World Break 02:00 Half Marathon (10 weeks):

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/products/trainingplans/plans/runner-s-world-break-2-00-half-marathon-plan-10-weeks

I did the session this morning as I had no speed work last week and have a 5 km next Sunday. 2.5 warm up @ 9.40 m , 5 x 1000 m @ 4.18,4.17,4.18,4.15,4.16. 3 mile cool down at 9.50m . Enjoyed it, last rep was hard. Was happy I kept the effort consistent. My next target is half marathon in May, not sure what time I'm aiming for yet but under 1 hr 50 anyways!

• Advertisement

saucyjack wrote: »

The one thing I would say about this is to keep the LSRs over distance for the Half Marathon plan...so between 12-15 miles where 12 is the step back week.

Haivng an 8 mile LSR at this stage after the winter plan would be a step-back IMO.

The longer LSRs will really stand to you come race day and also for the longer picture later on in the year of DCM.
    I did the session this morning as I had no speed work last week and have a 5 km next Sunday. 2.5 warm up @ 9.40 m , 5 x 1000 m @ 4.18,4.17,4.18,4.15,4.16. 3 mile cool down at 9.50m . Enjoyed it, last rep was hard. Was happy I kept the effort consistent. My next target is half marathon in May, not sure what time I'm aiming for yet but under 1 hr 50 anyways!

Great consistency there Sam, the last couple of reps should be hard so looks like you nailed the session, with the switching around of days, just be careful that you allow recovery between the hard training days and have a day easty or rest at a minimum between a session and an LSR.

The one thing I would say about this is to keep the LSRs over distance for the Half Marathon plan...so between 12-15 miles where 12 is the step back week.

Haivng an 8 mile LSR at this stage after the winter plan would be a step-back IMO.

The longer LSRs will really stand to you come race day and also for the longer picture later on in the year of DCM.

Great consistency there Sam, the last couple of reps should be hard so looks like you nailed the session, with the switching around of days, just be careful that you allow recovery between the hard training days and have a day easty or rest at a minimum between a session and an LSR.

Thanks for the plan blockic and for all your help. I did my Lsr Friday and had a recovery and easy run since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

hard to think i ran the DCM last year and can barely run 5km now dam taken the foot off the pedal afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

scheister wrote: »
    hard to think i ran the DCM last year and can barely run 5km now dam taken the foot off the pedal afterwards

Ah no, dont say that......im almost ready to make my 'big' comeback after being out with an injury since November!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

scheister wrote: »

If makes you feel any better its usually easier to regain fitness you once had compared to getting to that level in the first place. Just remember to not make the same mistakes after next marathon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Thanks for the plan Blockic. I have really enjoyed it and it's brought me on much quicker than my most optimistic expectations for this point in the year.

After Tralee, I'd like to focus on 5-10K and really work on some speed. Not looked into drawing up a plan (not that I know about doing so) or much into races yet but goal race I'd be thinking of would be Killarney 10K on 19th of July. That was my first race last year when I caught the running bug so I'd love to train specifically for that and see how far I can come in a year.

After that there's 14 weeks till Dublin. Should be enough time to up the long runs and get myself ready for a full marathon once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Racing myself also on Sunday so got the final session out of the way tonight. Wasn't looking forward to this as much as other weeks as my legs were a touch on the heavy side. Done and dusted though and very much looking forward to an easy recovery run tomorrow.

2 miles warm up @ 8.22
    5 X 1,000m @ 5K effort (3.53, 3.54, 3.52, 3.52, 3.46) + 90sec recovery between reps.
    2.06 miles warm down @ 9.20
    Total = 8.01 miles @ 7.51

A much more consistent effort than previous weeks apart from the last rep. I couldn't help but push on a clock my first sub 6 pace km. Tough going but what I've come to expect from a 5K pace session.

First block of session over with. Most enjoyable were the hill reps. Least enjoyable was the first 400m repeat session @ 5k pace I did all the way back on christmas day. Looking forward to the next set already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Many thanks for the plan Blockic.

It was great to have something to focus on after the marathon, to see my mileage increasing coupled with the sessions which was all new stuff.

I haven't thought as far ahead as DCM again this year but my goals now would be to hit some of the round numbers over the course of this year, continue to make the effort to enjoy the running more socially, get a balance between commitment for training versus feeling restricted in other activities and perhaps get my bloody ankle looked at!

5k - 19.59 (PB 22:45 Jul 13)
    10k - 39.59 (PB 43:03 Feb 14)
    HM - 1:29:59 (PB 1:41:23 Sep 13)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Woden wrote: »

It was great to have something to focus on after the marathon, to see my mileage increasing coupled with the sessions which was all new stuff.

I haven't thought as far ahead as DCM again this year but my goals now would be to hit some of the round numbers over the course of this year, continue to make the effort to enjoy the running more socially, get a balance between commitment for training versus feeling restricted in other activities and perhaps get my bloody ankle looked at!

Just reading over the beginning of your log the other day Woden, some great improvements there since you began and good luck with the goals for this year!

I think Im just about ready to get back into the running now after being laid up since mid November. Its been horrible, but theres worse times of the year to be injured than winter I suppose. I have been cycling quite a bit, but not much in the last month or so.

So has anyone got any tips on how to ease myself back into it and remain injury free? Obviously short distances/easy pace are the way to go but not sure on how to get back to it really, I suppose my body wil let me know! Fingers crossed it goes smoothly!

• Advertisement

First block of session over with. Most enjoyable were the hill reps. Least enjoyable was the first 400m repeat session @ 5k pace I did all the way back on christmas day. Looking forward to the next set already!

That's kinda what the plan was also about. In addition to giving a structure over the winter, I tried to vary the sessions to see and give you all the opportunity to see what kind of sessions you enjoy or don't enjoy..

Happy to see it benefited anyway!
    Woden wrote: »

Great to see some good targets set Woden, keep the consistency up and you won't be long seeing those times tumble down!
    rob w wrote: »
    I think Im just about ready to get back into the running now after being laid up since mid November. Its been horrible, but theres worse times of the year to be injured than winter I suppose. I have been cycling quite a bit, but not much in the last month or so.

So has anyone got any tips on how to ease myself back into it and remain injury free? Obviously short distances/easy pace are the way to go but not sure on how to get back to it really, I suppose my body wil let me know! Fingers crossed it goes smoothly!

Luckily for you I'm in the same position! :) Couple of suggestions, try running on grass only initially and probably build up very slowly, couple short slow runs the first week, maybe 3 runs the following week 5 miles or less I would think and never jump up in the mileage too much. I'll be staying away from speed work myself for at least a month - 6 weeks when I get back..hopefully soon!

Best of luck and remember stay patient and think on the long game, better to be running slow and on occasion initially than not running at all if you do too much too soon!

Advertisement