Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

blockic wrote: »
    That's kinda what the plan was also about. In addition to giving a structure over the winter, I tried to vary the sessions to see and give you all the opportunity to see what kind of sessions you enjoy or don't enjoy..

Happy to see it benefited anyway!

Great to see some good targets set Woden, keep the consistency up and you won't be long seeing those times tumble down!

Luckily for you I'm in the same position! :) Couple of suggestions, try running on grass only initially and probably build up very slowly, couple short slow runs the first week, maybe 3 runs the following week 5 miles or less I would think and never jump up in the mileage too much. I'll be staying away from speed work myself for at least a month - 6 weeks when I get back..hopefully soon!

Best of luck and remember stay patient and think on the long game, better to be running slow and on occasion initially than not running at all if you do too much too soon!
    Best of luck Blockic and Rob on the return from injury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Wk3 session of my HM plan: 6 x 800m @5-k Pace.

For whatever reason I was dreading this all day ... as it turned out it was much easier and much more enjoyable than I expected. It was also a beautiful evening.

1.5m Warm-up @ 9.10

Split |Time |Avg Pace

1|3:23.1|6.46
    2|3:21.0|6.42
    3|3:20.4|6.41
    4|3:20.4|6.41
    5|3:20.6|6.41
    6|3:18.8|6.38

Finished off the session with 1.75m @ 8.50

Was getting pretty rough mid way into the last split. Took 60 secs between the splits which was more of a fast walk than a recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

So here we have it, the last week of the winter plan, and it's an easy week too. Win-Win!

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    6m easy|Rest|Session|5m recovery|5m easy (inc. 6x100m strides)|Rest|13m easy|36m

Session:

2 mile warm up
    5 x 1000m @ 5K Pace with 90sec recovery
    2 mile cool down

Hope ye all enjoyed the plan. Sessions were tough at times but they have hopefully provided a good base for you all to kick on now for the rest of the year. :)

Where to next for everyone?
    What is you're big target for the year? Colours to the mast! ;)

thanks for the training schedule blockic. I only managed about half it but that was down to laziness more than anything but if i didnt have some sort of plan to look at i think i would have stopped altogether so thanks for the push.

as for my next plans, i was half thinking about the limerick marathon as i dont think i will have time to train properly for a marthon from june on as i have a smally on the way! I will make a descion on limerick in a few weeks to see how the trainign is going. other than that the next races i have coming up are ballycotton and mallow, am really pushing for sub 80mins in mallow. So from April on i have nothing planned, if i dont have a goal i get lazy so i need to decide on something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Luckily for you I'm in the same position! :) Couple of suggestions, try running on grass only initially and probably build up very slowly, couple short slow runs the first week, maybe 3 runs the following week 5 miles or less I would think and never jump up in the mileage too much. I'll be staying away from speed work myself for at least a month - 6 weeks when I get back..hopefully soon!

Best of luck and remember stay patient and think on the long game, better to be running slow and on occasion initially than not running at all if you do too much too soon!

Grand.....so I can hound you with questions then?:P

Got back out this afternoon for my first run, 2 miles nice and easy on the grass! Will be building on that ever so slowly now for a few weeks and see how things go!

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    thanks for the training schedule blockic. I only managed about half it but that was down to laziness more than anything but if i didnt have some sort of plan to look at i think i would have stopped altogether so thanks for the push.

as for my next plans, i was half thinking about the limerick marathon as i dont think i will have time to train properly for a marthon from june on as i have a smally on the way! I will make a descion on limerick in a few weeks to see how the trainign is going. other than that the next races i have coming up are ballycotton and mallow, am really pushing for sub 80mins in mallow. So from April on i have nothing planned, if i dont have a goal i get lazy so i need to decide on something to aim for.

Congrats, you better source a good running buggy! plenty fresh air is good for all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

The weather was not all that appealing this morning as I awoke for this one. Dark skies and strong gusts in Waterford but by the time I arrived in Dungarvan, the skies were starting to clear up. The goal of this race was to try and break sub 40 as well as serving as a tune up for Tralee in three week.

First race wearing a garmin also. It didn't have as big an impact as I thought it would. Still largely ran to feel. It was handy to have the distance during the race giving me a better feel for when I could push on towards the end.

Lined up three or four rows back and off we went. Settled into a good pace around 30th for the first half mile and then eased my way forward. The garmin was also useful here in measuring if the group I'd tacked onto were going the desired pace! Found myself between groups on my own going through the first mile marker. 6.13

Second mile was almost all into the breeze so I worked my way forward to join a group of 4. Tried to shelter myself behind them but there was no keeping pace into that wind without doing too much too soon. 6.31

Into the third mile and I worked my way forward to join another group of three that consisted of the leading lady and a world record holder! They kept a nice pace going and rolled through the third mile 6.17 and half way through the fourth with this group. The group was down to three including myself now and it then began to fragment too. The guy from west waterford pushed on too fast for me and I manged to put time between myself and the leading lady. 6.16

It was mainly a lonely race from here to the finish. I passed one more competitor just before turning back onto the main road. A nice surface and the wind to my back now, I was alone but running strong. 6.16

About half way through the sixth mile, I decided to kick on. Really started to hurt now but began gaining on a guy who had been about 20 meters ahead of me ever since turning onto the main road. Overtook him just before the 6 mile marker. A real feeling of sickness in my stomach now, I was thinking I couldn't sustain this pace to the line. I didn't realise it at the time but I also recorded my first sub 6 mile. 5.54 :D

Had eased back slightly from the stomach turning pace I had been at and turned the corner for home. Clock read 38:4x. Sub 40 in the bag happy days. Slightly uphill finish I've taken the foot of the gas then I realise sub 39 might be on. I make one last desperate sprint complete with olympic head bob (not sure why I did that, the chip is on the number on my chest :rolleyes:). The clock ticked to 39 as I crossed. With all this going on I forgot to stop my garmin for another 20sec or so and had no watch time. Had I done enough?

Showered, feasted on tea and sandwiches and was just about to head off when someone started handing out print outs!

Chip time: 38:59 :D:D:D
    17th place (weirdly wearing number 17 also)

Absolutely delighted. I thought I'd be doing well to see sub 40 by the end of the year but here we are in Feburary and I've just gone sub 39! A six minute 51 second pb on my first proper race last July.

Now to make my way over to the 10 round numbers thread. You've got a new member :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Brilliant skeleton boy...fantastic result!

The weather was not all that appealing this morning as I awoke for this one. Dark skies and strong gusts in Waterford but by the time I arrived in Dungarvan, the skies were starting to clear up. The goal of this race was to try and break sub 40 as well as serving as a tune up for Tralee in three week.

First race wearing a garmin also. It didn't have as big an impact as I thought it would. Still largely ran to feel. It was handy to have the distance during the race giving me a better feel for when I could push on towards the end.

Lined up three or four rows back and off we went. Settled into a good pace around 30th for the first half mile and then eased my way forward. The garmin was also useful here in measuring if the group I'd tacked onto were going the desired pace! Found myself between groups on my own going through the first mile marker. 6.13

Second mile was almost all into the breeze so I worked my way forward to join a group of 4. Tried to shelter myself behind them but there was no keeping pace into that wind without doing too much too soon. 6.31

Into the third mile and I worked my way forward to join another group of three that consisted of the leading lady and a world record holder! They kept a nice pace going and rolled through the third mile 6.17 and half way through the fourth with this group. The group was down to three including myself now and it then began to fragment too. The guy from west waterford pushed on too fast for me and I manged to put time between myself and the leading lady. 6.16

It was mainly a lonely race from here to the finish. I passed one more competitor just before turning back onto the main road. A nice surface and the wind to my back now, I was alone but running strong. 6.16

About half way through the sixth mile, I decided to kick on. Really started to hurt now but began gaining on a guy who had been about 20 meters ahead of me ever since turning onto the main road. Overtook him just before the 6 mile marker. A real feeling of sickness in my stomach now, I was thinking I couldn't sustain this pace to the line. I didn't realise it at the time but I also recorded my first sub 6 mile. 5.54 :D

Had eased back slightly from the stomach turning pace I had been at and turned the corner for home. Clock read 38:4x. Sub 40 in the bag happy days. Slightly uphill finish I've taken the foot of the gas then I realise sub 39 might be on. I make one last desperate sprint complete with olympic head bob (not sure why I did that, the chip is on the number on my chest :rolleyes:). The clock ticked to 39 as I crossed. With all this going on I forgot to stop my garmin for another 20sec or so and had no watch time. Had I done enough?

Showered, feasted on tea and sandwiches and was just about to head off when someone started handing out print outs!

Chip time: 38:59 :D:D:D
    17th place (weirdly wearing number 17 also)

Absolutely delighted. I thought I'd be doing well to see sub 40 by the end of the year but here we are in Feburary and I've just gone sub 39! A six minute 51 second pb on my first proper race last July.

Now to make my way over to the 10 round numbers thread. You've got a new member :)
    Wow, that was some race, huge congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Savage run there skeleton boy - well done. Serious reassessment of the your goals for the year after that :)

Blockic- Im looking to get stuck into a HM plan and need advice. Will be keeping the miles around 37-40, lsr between 12-16, easy miles beside. Would there be any point in repeating the sessions I have followed in your plan for the 12 weeks for working on speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Super result there.. Those splits are making me feel tired looking at them :)
    Bulmers74 wrote: »

How are you doing now? Hows the post op recovery?? You back running fully??
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Blockic- Im looking to get stuck into a HM plan...

What HM are you planning Sam?? Anywhere exotic??? Can offer advice on you question specifically , but some session work would be a benefit I reckon, I'll leave it to others to advise what type of session... Keep us updated anyways..

Hi Marty, are you all set for next weekend? which plan did you follow? Im doing the River Moy Half (all of Mayo is very exotic you know, unfortunately we seem to be effected by tropical storms of late:D). Will definitely need to incorporate some speed work alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

martyboy48 wrote: »

How are you doing now? Hows the post op recovery?? You back running fully??

Came back & did too much resulting in a suspected stress fracture. X-Ray was negative and having a MRI next week. Only 6 miles run in January & none in February :(
    Doing about 40 minutes a day on the cross trainer to try and maintain some level of fitness & keep the weight down. Find it a bit of a chore - no endorphin release here! Whole thing is frustrating. Slightly jealous of all the great running been done here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Came back & did too much resulting in a suspected stress fracture. X-Ray was negative and having a MRI next week. Only 6 miles run in January & none in February :(
    Doing about 40 minutes a day on the cross trainer to try and maintain some level of fitness & keep the weight down. Find it a bit of a chore - no endorphin release here! Whole thing is frustrating. Slightly jealous of all the great running been done here ;)

Really sorry to hear that Bulmers. Let us know how the MRI goes. Everything crossed for you...

Ososlo wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that Bulmers. Let us know how the MRI goes. Everything crossed for you...
    +1 to the above

Ah that's a balls.... Hopefully you'll be back at it soon enough and 100%. Any bit of time away from it now is so frustrating and I know how you just want to get back at it. Hopefully it won't be that long... Maybe take to the pool as well??

Good luck with the recovery anyway. Let us know how it goes..

Hi Marty, are you all set for next weekend? which plan did you follow? Im doing the River Moy Half (all of Mayo is very exotic you know, unfortunately we seem to be effected by tropical storms of late:D). Will definitely need to incorporate some speed work alright.

Alright Sam, more or less set for next weekend. Some doubt setting in as how to approach it. Originally had planned to go all out for the half, and then do connemarathon 5 weeks later with no time in mind, just to enjoy it.

But now I'm thinking the marathon effort will be tough enough as it is, as I could really do with getting a couple of 20 milers in, and maybe I should take it easy in the half as well and add on the few miles afterwards..

Plan? No specific plan being followed. Just regular runs during the week and a LSR at weekend. Did a couple of the sessions here as well and i'll be revisiting those after connemara.

In saying all that, when I'm lined out in kinvara I know I'll find it hard to resist having a go at it, so more that likely that's what I'll do :D:D

I really need to sort out my attitude towards training at racing I think. It's all so unorganised/haphazard, that I feel I'm not making the most of my time training. I'll have to have a talk with myself about that :)

Exotic is one word for Mayo, I could think of a few others :D:D Half toying with the idea of westport music festival this year. Few mates went last year and enjoyed the craic there.

You find a plan for your half yet??

Blockic- Im looking to get stuck into a HM plan and need advice. Will be keeping the miles around 37-40, lsr between 12-16, easy miles beside. Would there be any point in repeating the sessions I have followed in your plan for the 12 weeks for working on speed?

Hi Sam,

Looks like you have it all sorted bar the sessions. My plan did not target a race of any particular distance so i used a variation of sessions so all could see what they liked or didn't like so they did not really target a HM specifically.

For a Half Marathon Plan, I (just my opinion and others may help you out here) would focus on 2 types of sessions.

1) HMP Sessions (so building up the distance of sessions at your race pace)

So for example 4, 2+3, 5, 3+3, 6, 4+3, 7 or something similar. You would peak with this session at 7 miles and you could do it every 2nd week.

2) A session focused on a pace faster than your HMP, again on alternative weeks which supplement your session above. This could vary between 5km and 10km pace and similar to the above you would build up accordingly.

You could focus on the one pace for the 6 sessions or a variation of alternative paces

For example just to give you an idea (for a 45-50 min 10km er):

10 x 4 mins @10km pace
    10 x 2 mins @ 5km pace
    8 x 5 mins @ 10km pace
    6 x 4 mins @ 5km pace
    6 x 7 mins @ 10km pace
    4 x 6mins @ 5km pace

Be sure to take a step back in mileage after every 3 weeks. Hope this helps somewhat.

Hi Blockic, that's very helpful, thank a mil.

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Alright Sam, more or less set for next weekend. Some doubt setting in as how to approach it. Originally had planned to go all out for the half, and then do connemarathon 5 weeks later with no time in mind, just to enjoy it.

But now I'm thinking the marathon effort will be tough enough as it is, as I could really do with getting a couple of 20 milers in, and maybe I should take it easy in the half as well and add on the few miles afterwards..

Plan? No specific plan being followed. Just regular runs during the week and a LSR at weekend. Did a couple of the sessions here as well and i'll be revisiting those after connemara.

In saying all that, when I'm lined out in kinvara I know I'll find it hard to resist having a go at it, so more that likely that's what I'll do :D:D

I really need to sort out my attitude towards training at racing I think. It's all so unorganised/haphazard, that I feel I'm not making the most of my time training. I'll have to have a talk with myself about that :)

Exotic is one word for Mayo, I could think of a few others :D:D Half toying with the idea of westport music festival this year. Few mates went last year and enjoyed the craic there.

You find a plan for your half yet??
    Wow I did nt know you were doing that marathon, fair play to you. Id say it will be hard to hold back from running the half flat out, hope the weather is kind. Im kinda sorted now with a plan, will definitely use some of Blockic s sessions posted above.

• Advertisement

Just back in the door from a 40 min tempo session. The plan as before was to be doing my target race pace 2/3 of the way into the run. Considering how I got on last time I said I'd go for peaking at 5k pace again rather than the 10k pace.

Definitely found this a much tougher session than the one two weeks ago:

Split |Time |Distance|Avg Pace

1 |4:16.7| 0.50| 8:33
    2 |4:00.8| 0.50| 8:02
    3 |3:55.0| 0.50| 7:50
    4 |3:46.2| 0.50| 7:32
    5 |3:41.1| 0.50| 7:22
    6 |3:30.6| 0.50| 7:01
    7 |3:23.3| 0.50| 6:47
    8 |3:31.7| 0.50| 7:03
    9 |3:46.7| 0.50| 7:33
    10 |4:02.4| 0.50| 8:05
    11 |2:06.6| 0.25| 8:19

Summary| 40:01.2| 5.25| 7:37

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Hi sam
    Im kinda looking for a similiar HM training plan like urself.Was trying to follow blockics advice for you but im strugling to follow it. Could u post a link or some sort
    of plan.Thanks

Hi Blockic
    Im planning on doing DCM 2014.Just wondering if a thread will be dedicated to it sililiar to this one.

Hi sam
    Im kinda looking for a similiar HM training plan like urself.Was trying to follow blockics advice for you but im strugling to follow it. Could u post a link or some sort
    of plan.Thanks

Hi Blockic
    Im planning on doing DCM 2014.Just wondering if a thread will be dedicated to it sililiar to this one.

Hi john, I am aiming to run between 37-40 miles per week, for example: 5 easy, 8 easy with strides, session using Blockics advice mid week of around 7/8 miles, lsr between 12-16 miles, and short recovery run.
    The plan I used last year was this one but I did nt do much of the speed work! http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program
    What kind of miles are you running at the moment?

Hi sam
    of plan.Thanks

Hi Blockic

John,

Which areas are you struggling with and I can try and explain it better...

Any there will be a 2014 Novice thread for DCM alright...it's usually up around April after ecoli goes through all the interviews.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Any there will be a 2014 Novice thread for DCM alright...it's usually up around April after ecoli goes through all the interviews.. ;)

Bribes are not only accepted.... they're encouraged :D

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

John,

Which areas are you struggling with and I can try and explain it better...

Im just looking for a HM training plan that gives you the best chance of achieving your goal and not overdoing it in the process. My current LSRs are up to 16k in about 1hr 30mins. My aim is to run a sub 1.55 HM but im thinking that a sub 1.50 ic pretty much achievable if i can follow a structured plan. My query is that (1) Am i running my LSRs to fast. (2) What pace should i doing my tempo runs at and (3) speed session pace. Ive done a few 400 meter sprints and im doing them in about 1 min 30 secs per 400. Im just worried that i might be going to fast at these and end up injured. I was looking at a 3 day HM plan but it seems fairly intense so im looking for something with 4 or 5 days\week. Im planning doing 4 10k between now and the HM that i am planning to do in may. Its the same HM that SAM FOR MAYO is planning. Current weekly millage is approx 20 miles \week so intend to increase this as i go on. I hope this is a help to you. Thanks in advance.

Im just looking for a HM training plan that gives you the best chance of achieving your goal and not overdoing it in the process. My current LSRs are up to 16k in about 1hr 30mins. My aim is to run a sub 1.55 HM but im thinking that a sub 1.50 ic pretty much achievable if i can follow a structured plan. My query is that (1) Am i running my LSRs to fast. (2) What pace should i doing my tempo runs at and (3) speed session pace. Ive done a few 400 meter sprints and im doing them in about 1 min 30 secs per 400. Im just worried that i might be going to fast at these and end up injured. I was looking at a 3 day HM plan but it seems fairly intense so im looking for something with 4 or 5 days\week. Im planning doing 4 10k between now and the HM that i am planning to do in may. Its the same HM that SAM FOR MAYO is planning. Current weekly millage is approx 20 miles \week so intend to increase this as i go on. I hope this is a help to you. Thanks in advance.

Off 20 mpw to be honest I would say the best advice would be to forget about Tempo's and Speed sessions and just focus on building the miles. If you want to break up the monotony of easy running turn one of your short easy runs into a steady run (my rough guide for this is half way between Easy pace and Marathon pace)

The greatest gains you will get are from miles given the point you are at. If you are looking for a structured plan on how to do this post your weekly routine and I can do up a progressive plan on how to implement the advice above if you want.

Would echo ecoli's point above...most gains from a base of 20 miles would be seen simply by running more..Once you can consistantly run 30-35 miles a week, then sessions could be introduced.

Another option to break up the week a bit would be to incorporate strides into some of the days also. These would be 5-8 quick 80-100m bursts towards the end of the run used to help improve running form.

Edit: And be sure to take up ecoli's offer there to structure it for you...in 12 months time you'll be over in the Tri foruym full time! :pac: ;)

Would echo ecoli's point above...most gains from a base of 20 miles would be seen simply by running more..Once you can consistantly run 30-35 miles a week, then sessions could be introduced.

Another option to break up the week a bit would be to incorporate strides into some of the days also. These would be 5-8 quick 80-100m bursts towards the end of the run used to help improve running form.

Edit: And be sure to take up ecoli's offer there to structure it for you...in 12 months time you'll be over in the Tri foruym full time! :pac: ;)

Only if your female ;)

• Advertisement

First off good luck with the training ahead. I like many others here followed the DCM novice thread last year and don't think I'd have been able to finish it if it hadn't been for the advice and support received.

Fair play to Ecoli also with the offer of putting together a plan. Personally I'd also recommend, assuming you are a novice, taking a look at some of the Hal Higdon HM plans - I did the Novice 2 HM plan last year as a build up to my DCM training: http://halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

As ecoli and blockic have posted the more mileage you can do the better but remember to build up the mileage slowly enough.

If it helps - I've been running outdoors about a year now and only started including sessions and proper tempo runs into my HM training in late Jan so don't feel like you need to do these. I would have definitely incorporated LSRs, Easy and Pace runs for my first HM.

A 1hr 50m HM would mean your target HM pace in Miles is 08:20 or 5m10s in KMs. I might get shot down for this but I'd suggest that your easy runs would be around 09:00 (05:35 Km)and your LSR could be something like 09:40 (06:00 Km).

Advertisement