Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

ecoli wrote: »
    Off 20 mpw to be honest I would say the best advice would be to forget about Tempo's and Speed sessions and just focus on building the miles. If you want to break up the monotony of easy running turn one of your short easy runs into a steady run (my rough guide for this is half way between Easy pace and Marathon pace)

The greatest gains you will get are from miles given the point you are at. If you are looking for a structured plan on how to do this post your weekly routine and I can do up a progressive plan on how to implement the advice above if you want.
    Thanks for offering to do a plan up for me.Will post a weekly log on here so you have something to work with. I also log my weekly running on my own training log called mad about running . Forgot to mention that i ran about 6 10ks last year.PB was 49.20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Thought I'd post up my 12 Wk HM plan if its any use to you. Easy enough to adapt as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

donnacha wrote: »
    Thought I'd post up my 12 Wk HM plan if its any use to you. Easy enough to adapt as required.

Hi Donnacha,

I would recommend that your longest run would be a bit above 14 miles. That's only a smidgen above the distance of the race. If you could work up to 16-17 miles, it might see you in better stead. The general consensus is that half marathon training is not too dissimilar to marathon training and the long run is important.

Off 20 mpw to be honest I would say the best advice would be to forget about Tempo's and Speed sessions and just focus on building the miles. If you want to break up the monotony of easy running turn one of your short easy runs into a steady run (my rough guide for this is half way between Easy pace and Marathon pace)

The greatest gains you will get are from miles given the point you are at. If you are looking for a structured plan on how to do this post your weekly routine and I can do up a progressive plan on how to implement the advice above if you want.
    Hi ecoli. Listed below is my training log for the last few weeks. i will update as i go forward. I hope this will give you something to work with. Another thing to add is that i intend to run a few 10k with the view of getting my 10k time down to a sub 47 or even a sub 45. Current PB is 49.20. Thanks in advance.

Fri 31th jan
    1hr circuit training

Sun 2nd feb
    13k 1hr 12mins
    average pace 5.39/k
    Really enjoying these long runs on sundays.I do them with a mate of mine and the longer we seem to travel the better we are going. Incorporated a huge hill in this run on the fourth k. I think im slowly convincing him to do the half marathon in may.

Tues 4th feb
    30 mins core strengthing workout

Thurs 6th feb
    Speed work 4 400s
    Do a 1 mile warmup and then do 4 400 metres on the track. Split times were 1.36 1.30 1.26 1.28 average pace was 6.00/mile. Finished with a mile cooldown on the track. Tough session

Fri 7th feb
    l hr circuit training

Sat 8th feb
    30mins core strengthing workout

Sun 9th feb
    13k lsr
    1hr.10mins average pace 5.27/k

Mon 10th feb
    4miles/ 2mile tempo.
    Time for 2mile tempo was 14.20 average pace 7.10/mile.
    Done a 1mile warm up.Then done a 2mile tempo run followed by a 1mile cooldown.

Tues 11th feb
    30mins core and strength workout

Thurs 13th feb
    speedwork
    1mile warm up.4 400s and a 1 mile cooldown
    splits= 1.20
    average pace 5.42/mile
    Tough session.Averaged about 7secs a split faster than last week so hapoy out.Legs in bits now .feet up for the night.

Fri 14th feb
    1hr circuit training

Sat 15th feb
    30mins core workout

Sun 16th feb
    15k LSR
    1hr 25mins
    average pace 5.42/k

Mon 17th feb
    30min core workout

Tues 18th feb
    8k 49 mins
    Just a nice jog with the club

Thurs 20th feb
    30min core workout

Sat 22th feb
    16k LSR
    1.27.39 average pace 5.28/k
    16k in the hills of donegal.Finished this run with a final 5k of 23.38 so i was great to finish it out fast.

Sun 23th feb
    32 mins average pace 5.20/k
    Legs felt very heavy after y/day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi John

Looking through your training I would say that despite the lower mileage the fact you are doing a good bit of supplementary work is helping you overperform with regard to your mileage base. As such its not going to be a huge ramp in mileage but rather a more structured and progressive approach to allow you to run a decent HM and push on towards DCM (continue to build the mileage through the summer)

I aimed to try and keep your relative structure as best possible with 2 days off a week. I also rotate between a long run to build endurance and back to back runs to work on cumulative fatigue on a weekly basis.

If you have any questions regarding it let me know. Hope this helps, even if you choose not to go with this training it may provide a good template on structuring your training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

A question- is it better to divide the miles between 5 days or 6? Or does it matter?

Hi John

Looking through your training I would say that despite the lower mileage the fact you are doing a good bit of supplementary work is helping you overperform with regard to your mileage base. As such its not going to be a huge ramp in mileage but rather a more structured and progressive approach to allow you to run a decent HM and push on towards DCM (continue to build the mileage through the summer)

I aimed to try and keep your relative structure as best possible with 2 days off a week. I also rotate between a long run to build endurance and back to back runs to work on cumulative fatigue on a weekly basis.

If you have any questions regarding it let me know. Hope this helps, even if you choose not to go with this training it may provide a good template on structuring your training.
    Thanks ecoli for that. Just wondering, would you class easy pace as an LSR pace and a steady pace as a HM pace.

Thanks ecoli for that. Just wondering, would you class easy pace as an LSR pace and a steady pace as a HM pace.

Easy pace would be on the conservative (probably a little slower than your lSR pace now) while steady is roughly half way between easy pace and Marathon pace (roughly double HMP +20 min if you haven't run marathon before)

SamforMayo wrote: »
    A question- is it better to divide the miles between 5 days or 6? Or does it matter?

I would say in the early stages aim to do 5 days to build up your aerobic base but also giving your body two full days to recover however as you build your aerobic base these will not be the stimulus of you training and act more as maintenance and here is where you can spread over six days (with introduction of sessions).

Personally I would encourage people to progress to 7 days a week as you will find after a while that you actually recover better from active recovery better than complete days off (though sometimes the mental break is needed)

I would say in the early stages aim to do 5 days to build up your aerobic base but also giving your body two full days to recover however as you build your aerobic base these will not be the stimulus of you training and act more as maintenance and here is where you can spread over six days (with introduction of sessions).

Personally I would encourage people to progress to 7 days a week as you will find after a while that you actually recover better from active recovery better than complete days off (though sometimes the mental break is needed)

Thanks, I'm running about 37 miles a week now with the plan of increasing it slightly over next 12 weeks of Hm training, I can manage 6 days usually and enjoy it but really like 1 day off mainly cause I'm always juggling with child care, work and OH s shifts. I take that day as complete rest no core work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thanks, I'm running about 37 miles a week now with the plan of increasing it slightly over next 12 weeks of Hm training, I can manage 6 days usually and enjoy it but really like 1 day off mainly cause I'm always juggling with child care, work and OH s shifts. I take that day as complete rest no core work etc.

I'm all for the 1 day off a week. Or should I say 7 days off a week at the moment! :D

blockic wrote: »
    I'm all for the 1 day off a week. Or should I say 7 days off a week at the moment! :D
    Hopefully you will be back to full strength soon. I see on Donnacha s plan he includes, a tempo run, as well as a session , should I be doing that? and if so what pace is a tempo run at? Sacred heart I hope running the Half Marathon is easier than planning it:rolleyes:

Hopefully you will be back to full strength soon. I see on Donnacha s plan he includes, a tempo run, as well as a session , should I be doing that? and if so what pace is a tempo run at? Sacred heart I hope running the Half Marathon is easier than planning it:rolleyes:

When I was reading up on HalHigdon he explained that a tempo run should be a gradual build up of pace, aiming for 10km pace at approx 2/3 of the distance. You'll see the splits I've been posting here where I've been pushing myself to peaking at 5km pace. Its definitely a tough session IMO - and I'm only 4 weeks into the plan, but I definitely find alternating this weekly on Weds with my track session a fun(!!!) way to break up the weeks.

I didn't follow Blockics winter plan the way some of ye did but what I took from it was that all session work is going to bring you on leaps and bounds, and there'll be some sessions that just don't work for different runners. So if I was you I'd just pick whichever of the sessions you enjoyed :pac: and incorporate these once a week.

When I was reading up on HalHigdon he explained that a tempo run should be a gradual build up of pace, aiming for 10km pace at approx 2/3 of the distance. You'll see the splits I've been posting here where I've been pushing myself to peaking at 5km pace. Its definitely a tough session IMO - and I'm only 4 weeks into the plan, but I definitely find alternating this weekly on Weds with my track session a fun(!!!) way to break up the weeks.

I didn't follow Blockics winter plan the way some of ye did but what I took from it was that all session work is going to bring you on leaps and bounds, and there'll be some sessions that just don't work for different runners. So if I was you I'd just pick whichever of the sessions you enjoyed :pac: and incorporate these once a week.
    Tis unfortunate that the sessions I hated in Blockics plan were the ones with the HM pace miles:eek: Thanks for the info and good luck with the plan.

MARTY BOY
    Good luck tomorrow, do us proud:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

MARTY BOY
    Good luck tomorrow, do us proud:)

+ 1 :)

It had been 6 weeks since I last raced one of the Marlay Park Runs and I was due a 5k race as part of my HM training so decided yesterday I'd give it another spin today instead of my HM pace miles (any excuse not to do them :P)

I was hopeful that being at the back end of wk 4 of the plan that I'd be able to shave 15 -20 secs or so off my previous PB - though that race had been an eyeballs out, nothing left on course type affair. In fairness it was a cracking morning and conditions were absolutely perfect in comparison to the last time when the course was totally sodden.

Halfway into the race I really thought I was done for. Hit a bit of a mental roadblock as I knew I'd gone out a bit too fast for the first 1/4 mile and suddenly I felt like I had no energy and couldn't hold the pace just as we hit the mini hill section. Anyone who has done Marlay will know this stretch -its about a 1/3 of a mile long and there was a bit of carnage around me with others that had gone out too fast and who also couldn't keep going - even a few walkers:eek:

Thankfully I somehow made it to the top in one piece though I'd lost a fair bit of time and kicked on from there. As it turned out I managed a new PB by 39 secs! :D:D:D Seriously delighted with the result - I never ever thought I'd go sub 21mins.

A couple of cold ones will definitely be had tonight.

Split |Time |Distance|Avg Pace

1 |3:22.3 |0.50 |6:45
    2 |3:30.8 |0.50 |7:02
    3 |3:27.1 |0.50 |6:54
    4 |3:35.5 |0.50 |7:11
    5 |3:12.0 |0.50 |6:24
    6 |3:16.6 |0.50 |6:33
    7 |:30.4 |0.09 |5:47

Summary| 20:55| 3.09| 6:46

Donnacha that's great work, fair play, it s will deserved, I hope I can follow eventually. Enjoy the beers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Alhlone '13 》》》 1:37:54
    Kinvara '14 》》》 1:33:37

Happy out... Will post some thoughts on it tomorrow after tonights beers...

martyboy48 wrote: »

woo hoo! Nice one:D
    Enjoy the PB beers!

• Advertisement

Feck it Marty you are setting the bar too high! looking forward to race report, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done lad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thankfully I somehow made it to the top in one piece though I'd lost a fair bit of time and kicked on from there. As it turned out I managed a new PB by 39 secs! :D:D:D Seriously delighted with the result - I never ever thought I'd go sub 21mins.

Well done donnacha, 39 sec PB in a 5k is a serious improvement!

Nice one Marty, great performance...next up sub 90!

Right, so where do I start with my ramblings.....

As I previously said, I'm not the best at setting targets/paces for races as I never really know how I'm fixed fitness wise.
    So the night before the race I was pondering(stressing) over what to target for this race. Goal times went from 1:30:00 (daydreaming) and hanging on as long as I could, to a 1:40/1:41/1:42 and take it easy, leaving myself(in my mind) in better shape for connemarathon next month. In the end, I said "fook it, 1:35:00 it is" and with that I embedded that pace into my head and set about getting my gear ready for the race...

Race morning was pretty standard affair. Bowl of porridge, couple cups of coffee while dosing around the house. There was no hurry to get to kinvara as I had picked up race no ect the evening before, and a start time of 12.10 is right up my street. Early morning races are not my favourite at all. I can barely function at all until 11am :D DCM last year was a shock to the system :D:D

In Kinvara I was greeted with sunshine and a light breeze. Tunes playing, a good crowd of spectators, bit of banter with a couple of people I knew. The scene was set for a good race. "No excuses available" was my mantra for the day.....

The race itself.....
    10k runners took off bang on 12, and we went off 12.10...
    Ok so I don't do mile by mile accounts but here is the jist of how it went..

Early stages up to 5km approx was not to bad. Bit of excitement at the start and a bit of filtering through people to find a bit of space, and I see I may have gone out to fast...Again... Not to worry, I'll reign it in and steady the ship...

5km-10km were worrying a bit. Found the pace tough going. The field was opening up a bit and was plenty of room. Seemed to be little groups of 5-6 so always a target group ahead to keep focused on. Some doubts started to creep in as to whether I could maintain this pace and I started to struggle a bit. Then I remembered Ososlo and samformayo posts saying 'do us proud' and said I better dig in a bit and cop on as I have an audience now :D:D

Generally when I'm struggling a bit, I have loads to combat it. The likes of the above helps, even imagine others popin in to the thread for a look and not posting, doing it for the family/nieces/nephews, putting it up to all the haters and doubters, doing it for myself after all the tough training in the wind and the rain... All this and the fact I'm a stubborn fecker :D:D Anyway..Where was I?

10-17km Dare I say it felt easy:) As If the legs were properly lubed up(get your mind out of the gutter) and working efficiently. I even started to have the odd look around at the scenery. During this section the odd look at the watch tells me I'm well ahead of schedule. Average pace around 4.26 but I don't know how this translates to finishing time and don't care. I'm ahead and that's all that matters as I feel that that I will not fail to hit target even if I had a poor finish. Feeling good for this stage I'm thinking...

17-19km It's around here I start to feel it. Getting tired now. The course has a few small hills, nothing major, just short rises really, but I'm really feeling them now. At this stage the legs are tired and I have to really focus on maintaining the effort. Breathing heavy and at times I have to take some deep breaths and try to control the breathing. Just trying to maintain pace now...

19-21km The end is near but I'm dead on my feet. I start to fade, then I dig in a bit, fade, dig in and so on. People around me seem to be in the same boat as we are all just taking turns of taking the lead then dropping back.. No sprint finish today as there was nothing left ..

Split AvPace
    1 4:40
    2 4:19
    3 4:23
    4 4:32
    5 4:26
    6 4:33
    7 4:30
    8 4:32
    9 4:28
    10 4:22
    11 4:34
    12 4:31
    13 4:22
    14 4:21
    15 4:27
    16 4:15
    17 4:13
    18 4:32
    19 4:33
    20 4:33
    21 4:15
    22 3:27(.09)

Summary 1:33:39.0 21.09 4:26 (4min7secPB)

Final thoughts...
    1 A good event, second time doing it, lovely course well organised.Will be back.

2 For a man who doesn't get or do race reports, I don't half rabble on when I get going as this post proves :D:D

One more thing, thanks to everybody for the good luck, guidance, advice, training plans and support I've received since I started out. If I could bottle it I'd be a millionaire.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Congrats martyboy that's brilliant run,well done.

loved that report martyboy.

Well done again and glad the extra pressure from myself and SamforMayo helped somewhat:D

Ososlo wrote: »
    loved that report martyboy.

Well done again and glad the extra pressure from myself and SamforMayo helped somewhat:D
    Pressure what pressure, the man thrives on it:P Delighted for you, you are on course for a super shot at DCM 2014. What else have you lined up to keep you motivated? How were the legs today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

A great weekend all round guys. Well done :)

Pressure what pressure, the man thrives on it:P Delighted for you, you are on course for a super shot at DCM 2014. What else have you lined up to keep you motivated? How were the legs today?

To much pressure and it'll end up like a charlie sheen meltdown :D:D
    Next up is connemarathon. No time planned for it, just want to get around in one piece and enjoy it. Haven't done enough in terms of LSRs for it anyway.
    From there till DCM there will be races here and there, 5-10kms mainly, just to keep things interesting. I want to bring down PBs at 5,8 and 10kms.
    But yea, DCM is the main one for me this year.... All the eggs going in that basket.. What could possibly go wrong.... :D

Oh and the legs were knackered today, like concrete :D Short recovery run this evening did wonders though. Big fan of recovery runs now :D

• Advertisement

Tues 25th feb
    6k jog. no time on this

Wed 26th feb
    30 min strength workout.

Thurs 27th feb
    4 mile run

Fri 28th feb
    1 hr circuit training

Sun 2nd march
    10k 49.55 average pace 5.00/k
    Done this session with 2 other lads. Delighted with this as i hav'nt ran at this pace over 10k since the belleek 10k last december. Felt very comfortable throughout and there was plenty more in the tank. Im feeling a lot stronger when i run these days and travelling a lot stronger. I suppose have lost a stone in weight since xmas is a huge factor in this. Planning to do a 10k in enniscrone on saturday.

Advertisement