Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭donnacha

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Thanks folks, really appreciate the support.
    Came in around 3:33...
    Found the second half tough going.
    Will write a few thoughts tomorrow as it's beer o clock now..
    Thanks again peeps....

Great running - enjoy the celebrations, looking forward to reading your report.

Had a bit of a reality check at the Rás UCD 5k yesterday. Prep wasn't the best - wore a light sleeveless jacket and knew a few hundred meters into the race that I shouldn't have worn it. Noticed also around 20 mins before the race that I was fairly badly hydrated.

Got my positioning fairly bang on for the start and found I was getting around at a great pace. Had set myself a goal of 5-10 seconds off my PB which I'd set at Marlay Park 5 weeks ago. After the 1st KM I realised I was already 10 secs ahead and said to myself I'd push on and see what records could be set.

All went well for those first 3.5 kms ... I was 30 secs ahead of my PB but then it all caught up on me. My breathing went completely, I was way too hot and generally my whole head was in a mess. Hung in there as I passed the 4km marker with 25 secs in the bank. Unfortunately though at this point I couldn't take any more and had to stop and walk - not once but twice :( Absolute killer as its the point of the race when I should have been kicking on. Ended up coming home 36 secs short of my PB.

Came home straight home after the race fairly annoyed with myself and went out to do another 4 miles at HM pace and just couldn't get up to speed and ended up being around 20 secs per min off the pace for these miles also.

Thankfully got out for a few scoops last night which cleared the head a bit :D I think I might have just been trying a bit too hard yesterday and need to remain focused on the main thing which is a PB in Wexford at the end of this month. Got out for a beautiful LSR in the late afternoon today - clear blue skies in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

donnacha wrote: »
    Had a bit of a reality check at the Rás UCD 5k yesterday. Prep wasn't the best - wore a light sleeveless jacket and knew a few hundred meters into the race that I shouldn't have worn it. Noticed also around 20 mins before the race that I was fairly badly hydrated.

Got my positioning fairly bang on for the start and found I was getting around at a great pace. Had set myself a goal of 5-10 seconds off my PB which I'd set at Marlay Park 5 weeks ago. After the 1st KM I realised I was already 10 secs ahead and said to myself I'd push on and see what records could be set.

All went well for those first 3.5 kms ... I was 30 secs ahead of my PB but then it all caught up on me. My breathing went completely, I was way too hot and generally my whole head was in a mess. Hung in there as I passed the 4km marker with 25 secs in the bank. Unfortunately though at this point I couldn't take any more and had to stop and walk - not once but twice :( Absolute killer as its the point of the race when I should have been kicking on. Ended up coming home 36 secs short of my PB.

Came home straight home after the race fairly annoyed with myself and went out to do another 4 miles at HM pace and just couldn't get up to speed and ended up being around 20 secs per min off the pace for these miles also.

Thankfully got out for a few scoops last night which cleared the head a bit :D I think I might have just been trying a bit too hard yesterday and need to remain focused on the main thing which is a PB in Wexford at the end of this month. Got out for a beautiful LSR in the late afternoon today - clear blue skies in Dublin.

You mad yoke going out to do 4 miles at HM pace after feeling ****e during the race! You are very hard on yourself. It's a disaster when you realise you are overdressed in that situation, coupled with the dehydration you were in bad luck . Fair play for keeping going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Well, time for my ramblings once more. The good, the bad and the stupid

Saturday came and I was at my usual panic stations and second guessing what little thought I had given this as far as a race plan goes :D
    You see, I had originally planned just to run/jog this with no time in mind, and just enjoy the scenery, but as the clocked ticked on, I found myself going into "race mode" :D . Collected my race no in elverys around 5pm, in and out in 5 mins. I didn't hang around, just wanted to get out of there.
    Sat down that evening on PC and tried to put some kind of plan or strategy together, something, anything, I just wanted to put a pace in my head and go with it. Played around on mcmillan calculator and looked at paces for various finish times between 3:00 and 4:15... Now, before ye question it, I didn't seriously think about a 3:00 time,It's like me looking at cars on donedeal, the more I look, the higher the price tags go up :D
    Finally settled on a 5min/km pace (just outside 3:30) and allow a drop off from that towards the end to try to get home 3:35-3:40. I was allowing for a poor finish with only 1 20miler on the lead up(or maybe just an excuse banker)...

Race day arrived as the alarm went at 6:30am. Not a great nights sleep, bit restless, but enough to get me by...
    Up, shower, pre race shave, gear sorted, coffee, porridge, coffee, lucozade sport, toilet, out the door...
    Arrived at cathedral just after 8 and got a handy parking spot. Waiting around for 10 mins and finally boarded the bus. Nerves kicking in now :D
    Bus pulled up on the side of the road and off we got. Nothing around us but beautiful scenery, a great bunch of runners and portaloos :D Was really like we were in the middle of nowhere!!!! Dropped bag in truck, another pre race piddle, Watched some astonishing fast ultra runners wizz past (these guys and girls are something else), and soon we were on the starting line waiting for the off...

The Race Itself started bang on time, off we go. Here's a rough break down of how it panned out..

Early doors 1-10km were grand, happy out, keeping an eye on pace(bit up and down,but not panicing?), and taking in the views. All was right with the world and it was good to be alive :D
    10km 21km, running along side a cork ultra runner.Never got his name, but was nice to run along side someone(all of my training runs are done on my own). We shared a few words and he asked what I was aiming for. "3:30-3:40" I replied. He then told me what I was blissfully ignoring "You're ahead of schedule" or words to that effect :D Up to this point it just felt reasonably comfortable. I felt like I had a bit of a tailwind up to 21 kms and I didn't mind using it even if it put me ahead of pace at times... Uh-oh....
    21km-36km started with a bit of a wake up call. The hill at lennaun caught me off guard :D I had thought I'd be ok for it, but it felt steep and zapped me. I had to stop for a moment, stretch the legs, take a few deep breaths and refocus before taking off again. This stop took about 60 seconds, but should have set off alarm bells... But didn't :D . I gradually got back on pace again and ploughed on. Plenty of people around the tail end of the half ensured I had to keep focused while weaving through/around them. Was fairly busy in places. Still some lovely sights around me to take my mind off things...
    36km-39km Taxi :D Took the famous right hand turn and headed out toward the HOTW. I looked ahead and noticed a LOT of people along that stretch. I took note and said to myself how strange it was as I hadn't expected so many people bunched up here... Oh well, and I continued on. Legs feeling tired and heavy, and a bit of headwind, and I was only veering left onto the hill now.... TOUGH GOING... I found myself talking to the hill and the wind at stages here. Shouting obscenities, ranting and bitching. Trying to convince myself I wasn't feeling any pain. But It wasn't long before I was stopped again for my stretch and breath routine before trying again. Not sure what was worse, the wind or the hill. Felt like I was trying to run with a bungee rope holding me back. there was a few stops on the hill, not sure how many tbh but I just didn't have the strength in the legs to drive myself up. Towards the end it was very blustry at times, to the point where I was looking to see if anyone was falling over in ditches, If I was in bad shape I wanted to see others in the same boat...
    39km-finish over the top of the hill and downhill section to go. Rightly fooked at this stage and rightly peed of when it didn't seem to get any easier :D Downhill my arse, the wind and tired legs made it feel like I was still going uphill :D Bit soul destroying when you see you're on a downhill but it doesn't feel like it. I couldn't even see the finish line in the distance :)
    With about 300 meters to go I couldn't help it but bring a smile to my face. A smile from my body to say "Connemara, thank you" as it were.. I crossed the line knowing a bit more about the respect a marathon deserves.. Splits..

1 km 04:56 min/km
    2 km 04:54 min/km
    3 km 04:55 min/km
    4 km 05:04 min/km
    5 km 05:02 min/km
    6 km 05:04 min/km
    7 km 05:06 min/km
    8 km 05:09 min/km
    9 km 05:03 min/km
    10 km 05:14 min/km
    11 km 05:16 min/km
    12 km 04:59 min/km
    13 km 04:42 min/km
    14 km 04:52 min/km
    15 km 04:38 min/km
    16 km 04:29 min/km
    17 km 04:23 min/km
    18 km 04:33 min/km
    19 km 04:30 min/km
    20 km 04:32 min/km
    21 km 04:29 min/km
    22 km 04:47 min/km
    23 km 05:22 min/km
    24 km 04:58 min/km
    25 km 04:39 min/km
    26 km 04:38 min/km
    27 km 04:46 min/km
    28 km 04:42 min/km
    29 km 04:48 min/km
    30 km 04:57 min/km
    31 km 04:45 min/km
    32 km 04:48 min/km
    33 km 04:44 min/km
    34 km 04:48 min/km
    35 km 04:53 min/km
    36 km 05:12 min/km
    37 km 05:45 min/km
    38 km 06:30 min/km
    39 km 06:23 min/km
    40 km 05:19 min/km
    41 km 05:28 min/km
    42 km 05:52 min/km
    42.4 km 05:29 min/km

Chip time 3:32:12

Final thoughts on effort, not bad considering.. Will have to do more 20 milers before next marathon. I knew I was short coming into this and I proved myself right. Was the end of this race a mini blow out or just tough conditions, or both?? Who knows.. But the lack of 20 milers hurt me for sure.
    And my pacing is atrocious as always. Really gotta sort that out.

Final thoughts on race, excellent. Would recommend it to anyone. Spectacular.

Oh and how am I now? Legs still wrecked!!! When I finished the race I was fooked, calfs were soo sore it's not even funny. I didn't know what to do to make the pain go away :D Some English gent kindly gave me some of that spray that freezes ya... Great tack. Instant relief. Pity I got it all over my fingers as well, I couldn't move them for an hour afterwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done marty!

• Advertisement

Super going Marty, I think a little blustery is an understatement of what the weather was like on Sunday! You will have learnt a lot and be in great shape for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Well done marty.it sounds like it was really tough out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Brilliant report and amazing race. Great things ahead for you marty. Massive congrats :)

Fair play Marty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Cracking time on whats supposed to be a real tough course. Well done Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Well done marty, great running n great report.congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Marty that's a super run - a 20 minute pb on that course off the back of one 20 miler!!
    Would you recommend the race? Any interest in the ultra?

Thanks all, much appreciated :)
    Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Marty that's a super run - a 20 minute pb on that course off the back of one 20 miler!!
    Would you recommend the race? Any interest in the ultra?

I would recommend it. Maybe I'm a bit bias being a Galwaymen, but it is beautiful out there. Not a PB course as is blatantly obvious, But a well organised, one of a kind race.

As for the ultra, being honest, the thought did cross my mind. Just to have the half,full and ultra on successive years. But the pain I felt in my calfs after the race may change my mind. Like someone repeatedly punched my calfs and no matter what way I stretched or positioned them, the pain wasn't easing :D

The pain has eased now though so who knows. A lot could happen in a year :)

Any update with yourself bulmers?? (only if you care to share)

Wk 10 Session - 40 min tempo. Got out a bit later than normal for this - so many people out and about in Kilbogget park - great to see.

This session turned out to be a good confidence builder with only 2.5 weeks to race day.
    Felt good throughout the build up and had to make a noticeable effort to slow down for the final 2 splits. All the previous sessions had me dying to dial back at the pace at the end :p

Split |Time |Distance|Avg Pace

1 |4:05.4| 0.50| 8:11
    2 |3:50.0| 0.50| 7:40
    3 |3:42.4| 0.50| 7:25
    4 |3:38.3| 0.50| 7:17
    5 |3:35.9| 0.50| 7:12
    6 |3:28.2| 0.50| 6:56
    7 |3:23.1| 0.50| 6:46
    8 |3:19.1| 0.50| 6:38
    9 |3:30.2| 0.50| 7:00
    10 |3:44.9| 0.50| 7:30
    11 |3:43.6| 0.46| 8:05

Summary| 40:01.0| 5.46| 7:20

Looking forward now to the rest of the weeks training - its peak week for me with a 7mile at HM pace due on Sat and 16mile LSR on Sun. Bring it on:D

Wk 10 Session - 40 min tempo. Got out a bit later than normal for this - so many people out and about in Kilbogget park - great to see.

This session turned out to be a good confidence builder with only 2.5 weeks to race day.
    Felt good throughout the build up and had to make a noticeable effort to slow down for the final 2 splits. All the previous sessions had me dying to dial back at the pace at the end :p

1 |4:05.4| 0.50| 8:11
    2 |3:50.0| 0.50| 7:40
    3 |3:42.4| 0.50| 7:25
    4 |3:38.3| 0.50| 7:17
    5 |3:35.9| 0.50| 7:12
    6 |3:28.2| 0.50| 6:56
    7 |3:23.1| 0.50| 6:46
    8 |3:19.1| 0.50| 6:38
    9 |3:30.2| 0.50| 7:00
    10 |3:44.9| 0.50| 7:30
    11 |3:43.6| 0.46| 8:05

Summary| 40:01.0| 5.46| 7:20

Looking forward now to the rest of the weeks training - its peak week for me with a 7mile at HM pace due on Sat and 16mile LSR on Sun. Bring it on:D
    Nice work, good luck with your HM pace miles, will have to do the same session soon enough myself:( Not for a couple of weeks though, I find these HM miles tough, have managed 6.

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Thanks all, much appreciated :)

I would recommend it. Maybe I'm a bit bias being a Galwaymen, but it is beautiful out there. Not a PB course as is blatantly obvious, But a well organised, one of a kind race.

As for the ultra, being honest, the thought did cross my mind. Just to have the half,full and ultra on successive years. But the pain I felt in my calfs after the race may change my mind. Like someone repeatedly punched my calfs and no matter what way I stretched or positioned them, the pain wasn't easing :D

The pain has eased now though so who knows. A lot could happen in a year :)

Any update with yourself bulmers?? (only if you care to share)

Would love to have a go at the ultra myself - maybe next year.

Back on the road about a month now, doing all easy miles. Did a 10k last Sunday to see where I'm at. Came home in 44.06 which I was happy with considering I was off the road for over 3 frustrating months. It'll take a bit to get back to where I was. Have entered the half in Limerick next month so I'll see how that goes.

Got out early for my 7m @ HMP this morning. Probably could have done with a slightly longer warm-up and warm down but a bit stuck for time today and wanted to get this session done.

Very happy with the overall time - am slightly disappointed with the variances in average pace. It was breezy enough in parts which explains some of it but I know I am constantly adjusting pace throughout the run.

I really think now that a sub 1:40 is realistic at Wexford... maybe even sub 1:39 - there I've said it now :D

1| 3:55.1| 0.50| 7:50
    2| 3:37.6| 0.50| 7:15
    3| 3:41.3| 0.50| 7:22
    4| 3:41.4| 0.50| 7:23
    5| 3:33.4| 0.50| 7:07
    6| 3:44.5| 0.50| 7:29
    7| 3:37.3| 0.50| 7:15
    8| 3:47.3| 0.50| 7:35
    9| 3:39.9| 0.50| 7:20
    10| 3:41.3| 0.50| 7:23
    11| 3:41.4| 0.50| 7:23
    12| 3:36.4| 0.50| 7:13
    13| 3:45.2| 0.50| 7:30
    14| 3:38.8| 0.50| 7:18
    15| 3:44.8| 0.50| 7:30
    16| 3:55.5| 0.50| 7:51
    17| 1:34.6| 0.18| 8:57

Summary| 1:00:55.6| 8.18| 7:27

Super work Donnacha, of course you can go sub 1.39:D

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Super work Donnacha, of course you can go sub 1.39:D

Looking at those splits, Donnacha I reckon if the course or weather aren't too much of a factor you'll be closer to 1.35 than 1.40.

First session tonight since last November & it was tough going! With Limerick half coming up in a few weeks felt I had to get some HM miles in. The session was to be 3, 2 & 2 pace miles with 3 minute jog recovery in between. Mcmillan puts my HM pace at around 7.30 off my recent 10k time.

2 w/u 9.40, 9.26
    3 pace 7.24,7.35,7.23
    2 pace 7.11,7.25
    2 pace 7.17,7.16
    1 c/d 9.18
    Total 10.68 miles @ 8.06
    Happy enough now it's done but found it tough. Will probably try 6 or 7 pace miles next week.

• Advertisement

Wk 11 Session today - 10 x 400m. Was happy to see when I got to the cinder track that they'd put down a fresh layer. Bit dusty but a much smoother run.

Warm-up was 1.2miles @ 8:30 pace

Split |Time |Avg Pace

1 |1:36.4 |6:25|

2 |1:33.5 |6:14|

3 |1:30.4 |6:04|

4 |1:30.5 |6:06|

5 |1:32.5 |6:11|

6 |1:32.5 |6:15|

7 |1:31.5 |6:14|

8 |1:31.6 |6:08|

9 |1:32.3 |6:08|

10 |1:30.9 |6:07|

Warm-down 1.2miles @ 8:30 pace

Delighted with this session. Only disappointment was that my heart rate monitor didn't work for whatever reason. I do feel like I've made steady progress over the course of this program - looking back on Wk 1 when I last did 400m splits I was pushing myself to average 6:40 pace. Splits 8 to 10 of this session weren't easy but at the same time I didn't feel like I struggled with any of the them.

One final session next Weds :)

Uh oh... so did my last HM pace session of the plan last Sat. 4miles @ HM Pace, went fine (though I did them @ 10km pace) followed by my final LSR (14 miles including 2 miles at HM Pace) on Sunday. About 4 miles into the LSR I noticed for the first time ever my left achilles. As the run went on I'd notice it maybe once a mile - no pain, just an awareness of it. Did some eccentric heel drops Sunday evening, Monday and yesterday. Went out for 4 miles easy yesterday and no recurrence. Deadly me thought - went out tonight for my final tempo session (35min) and had to cut it short at 25 mins as I noticed the achilles again. Feck. Gonna take it easy now as the HM is on Sunday. On top of all of this I also have a minor case of plantar fascia returning in my right heel. Possibly these are related. Had purchased a pair of runners recently which I did a couple of Easy sessions and a LSR in but they are noticeable too big - in my head I'm blaming them for all of this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's really unfortunate, have you been to the physio?

adrian522 wrote: »
    That's really unfortunate, have you been to the physio?

No physio trip just yet. Certainly if it recurs I'll pay the physio a visit ... for now I'm going to try a few exercises, lots of rest and foam rolling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck with it, If te injury flares up in the race though I would advise dropping out rather than pushing through. I ran through an injury in the half last year and it cost me a lot of time in the end and probably wasn't worth it.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Uh oh... so did my last HM pace session of the plan last Sat. 4miles @ HM Pace, went fine (though I did them @ 10km pace) followed by my final LSR (14 miles including 2 miles at HM Pace) on Sunday. About 4 miles into the LSR I noticed for the first time ever my left achilles. As the run went on I'd notice it maybe once a mile - no pain, just an awareness of it. Did some eccentric heel drops Sunday evening, Monday and yesterday. Went out for 4 miles easy yesterday and no recurrence. Deadly me thought - went out tonight for my final tempo session (35min) and had to cut it short at 25 mins as I noticed the achilles again. Feck. Gonna take it easy now as the HM is on Sunday. On top of all of this I also have a minor case of plantar fascia returning in my right heel. Possibly these are related. Had purchased a pair of runners recently which I did a couple of Easy sessions and a LSR in but they are noticeable too big - in my head I'm blaming them for all of this.

Flip it, is race this Sunday? Rest up and hope for the best. I have fingers and toes crossed for you.

@ Donnacha -Best of luck Sunday(Take notes of how to do it right for me:D)

Donnacha, best of luck for tomorrow. Hopefully the achilles problem is sorted with rest. If you're feeling good give it socks but if you feel the achilles at ya, i'd pull back a bit, I wouldn't risk it..
    I'll say a prayer to the running Gods that you'll fly around injury free :D Fingers crossed :)

• Advertisement

Well the training paid its rewards - my Garmin clocked 1:37:40 @ Wexford Half Marathon. Absolutely delighted - report to follow.

Advertisement