Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Attend confirmation and then go on the beer
    Galway 5km Series
    Race #3 Maree chip 20:05 (38 sec PB)

Ok I had originally planned on giving this one a miss but as I wasn't in form for beer(shock horror) I said feck it and went home early to get gear sorted.

Up to the start area I went and placed myself in a "not to bad" area, as in where I thought I'd finish kinda thing. There was a good few earphone wearers around my which slightly concerned me but not to bad I thought. As the race prepared to get underway I noticed a procession of people push up on both outer edges of the bunch. These weren't just accomplished runners, there was a fair amount of music listeners as well. I don't mean to sound like a dick about it but it kinda put me off a bit, I thought my chances were fecked up again :(

Sure I was held up a bit and was dodging about the place at the start but soon forgot about it and ploughed on.

Splits 4:15, 4:06, 3:57, 3:53, 3:57 (chip 20:05)

Happy camper. It was a lovely course which was a nice surprise, not sure how Tuam will compare. People say Tuam is the fastest but I'm not sure there's a faster route on this series but i'll give it a go :)

Plans for the rest of the year are Portumna half next month, streets of galway 8km aug, maybe run my first 10 miler simon 10k or 10mile, probably athlone half, athlone 3/4, DCM '14... Besides those there will be other 5-10-half inpromptu races when I feel I need a burst..
    fantastic marty. Delighted for you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Attend confirmation and then go on the beer
    Galway 5km Series

Ok I had originally planned on giving this one a miss but as I wasn't in form for beer(shock horror) I said feck it and went home early to get gear sorted.

Up to the start area I went and placed myself in a "not to bad" area, as in where I thought I'd finish kinda thing. There was a good few earphone wearers around my which slightly concerned me but not to bad I thought. As the race prepared to get underway I noticed a procession of people push up on both outer edges of the bunch. These weren't just accomplished runners, there was a fair amount of music listeners as well. I don't mean to sound like a dick about it but it kinda put me off a bit, I thought my chances were fecked up again :(

Sure I was held up a bit and was dodging about the place at the start but soon forgot about it and ploughed on.

Happy camper. It was a lovely course which was a nice surprise, not sure how Tuam will compare. People say Tuam is the fastest but I'm not sure there's a faster route on this series but i'll give it a go :)

Plans for the rest of the year are Portumna half next month, streets of galway 8km aug, maybe run my first 10 miler simon 10k or 10mile, probably athlone half, athlone 3/4, DCM '14... Besides those there will be other 5-10-half inpromptu races when I feel I need a burst..

Flipping over achiever!!!!!! Sub 20 in Tuam Marty, nothing else will do ! What are you aiming for in the Hm next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Galway 5km Series

Amazeballs! Fair play Martyboy.

I have my fingers crossed for you that you might see 5 x sub 4mins in Tuam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Thanks folks for the good vibes..
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Flipping over achiever!!!!!! Sub 20 in Tuam Marty, nothing else will do ! What are you aiming for in the Hm next month?

Not to sure what the exact target will be. I did portumna half last year and I wasn't totally fond of the 5k loop layout. But now I think it's just that I had never done a race like that before so I'm giving it another lash as it was superb in every other aspect.

I'll probably do my usual, play it cool and say to myself we'll see how it goes no pressure, and then line up all fired up looking for a PB :D:D

I'll try to sus out career move prior to the race and try to keep her in sight... It might be tough as she might bring that damn bike with her :D:D

Thanks folks for the good vibes..

Not to sure what the exact target will be. I did portumna half last year and I wasn't totally fond of the 5k loop layout. But now I think it's just that I had never done a race like that before so I'm giving it another lash as it was superb in every other aspect.

I'll probably do my usual, play it cool and say to myself we'll see how it goes no pressure, and then line up all fired up looking for a PB :D:D

I'll try to sus out career move prior to the race and try to keep her in sight... It might be tough as she might bring that damn bike with her :D:D

You d have to be up early to catch that lady Id say!

• Advertisement

Galway 5km Series
    Race #4 Claregalway chip 20:13 (8 sec off PB)

Ok, 4th instalment of the 6 part series :D

A short session of tag rugby before this race was cut short
    due to thunder and lightening, the women were literally shaking
    with fear and ran off to the cars :D It was class though, some lovely photos going around :)

Head to start line early and got a decent position. A good sized road meant we weren't as bunched as previous races which pleased me greatly :D
    Off we went and a quick left turn brought us to a fairly longish drag. I say drag but it really took the pep out of my step and it lasted for 1k.
    I felt that a pb was gone already as the legs were really heavy and I felt void of any spark. I don't think it was just a case of being weak mentally, and in a way it was good as although I was struggling a bit, the pressure was off and I continued to race people around me.

The rest of the route wasn't to bad, still a few little hills but nothing to nasty really. Ploughed on regardless and continued to make/lose ground with people around me but I did loose a few places alright but kept going as best I could.

Splits 4:03, 4:04, 3:56, 4:05, 4:04

So how do I feel about it? On reflection I think I did quiet well all things considered. I thought my pace had fallen dramatically after the first K but not really. There may have been a little bit more to give and If it was the last race in the series I probably would have. I found it tough going this evening, whether that was the course or just me I don't know, but I do know the the sub 20 is still on for this series.
    One thing I did notice while racing was that my breathing was terrible. I never really got into a comfortable breathing rhythm after the first k.

2 more races to go, galway racecourse and Tuam. Which means 2 more of these sh1te reports :D:D After that I don't know, I'm weighing up the pros and cons of starting my own training log diary... It would most likely be pure scutter but at least it would be in all the one place :D

Good stuff Marty, was it warm yesterday evening? It was horribly humid here, maybe that was a factor. Do start a log, I for one will read it!

Cheers SfM, actually don't think the weather was a problem. We
    had thunder and lightning couple of hours before the race so that aeems to clear the air you could say. Was a grand evening for a run really :-)

Onwards and upwards Marty, sub 20 is there for you.

Galway 5km Series
    Race #5 (Tuesday)Galway racecourse chip 20:19 ( 14sec off PB)

Well the second last of the 5k series. My 'home' venue so very little travel involved.
    The lead up was fairly relaxed. A bit of tag rugby after work before going home for a bit to relax before the race. While playing tag, I realised it was very warm. Absolutely soaked in sweat :eek: Not to worry, I had about an hour to chill before heading to racecourse.

The race
    The route here is fairly simple. A bit of a run along a back road and into racecourse for two laps(bit of an excursion for first lap), finishing in front of the stand.... Grand.. What could possibly go wrong :D:D
    Off we went bang on time.

First k wasn't to bad. Settled into a nice pace and found plenty of room for myself after the initial 300 meters.

Second k was fairly similar although the end of the second k was the climb before the finishing straight, so I had to put a bit more effort in here.

Third k weas the excursion out behind the stand along the back road again, before rejoining the racecourse again. Was starting to feel it here a bit I must say. Not to worry, just 2 more to go I remind myself...

Fourth k was right down opposite the stands, right along the length of the racecourse. Finding it tougher again to maintain pace. Worse again was thought of what was coming up for the final k and that hill. Kinda annoyed with myself for thinking negatively and doing it BEFORE I had even came to that point. Fackin idiot Marty... Kept looking out for the 4k marker. I knew whereabouts it was but just wanted a bit of a lift from passing it knowing just 1 k left.

Fifth and final k. I'm fooked and I know it. The last k begins with a bit of a downhill before the onslaught of that hill again :D Breathing so so hard and irregular. Just not able to keep pace up at this stage. I'm hanging on for dear life and trying to not drop back the field by to much. Heading into finishing straight and realise this is uphill too :eek::eek: Finish line seems sooo far away and feels like i'm not making any progress towards it. All this while trying not to get sick or pass out :D:D Crossed with 20:24 on the clock, 20:19 chip.

Still, some positives to take from it. Kept pushing, my pace dropped a fair bit but the effort was still being put in. Even after feeling sick and dizzy :D Was a warm one and the few little hills didn't help. Not all rosey though, I was punching the steering wheel on way home wondering if I could have gave more :) I think part of me deepdown is putting all my eggs into last race in Tuam. Like Tuam is a default if things get tough sure there's always Tuam kinda way.... Maybe I'm reading into it to much... We'll see I guess :)

Splits: 3:55, 3:55, 4:07, 4:03, 4:12 .... The saga continues......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Martyboy, any chance you'd knock the tag rugby on the head prior to the Tuam race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

That was by far the toughest 5K I've ever run. The finish line might as well of been on Croagh Patrick. Tuam will be a walkover ;)

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Martyboy, any chance you'd knock the tag rugby on the head prior to the Tuam race?

Spot on, thats the plan. Will do fook all on work that day as well :-D Gonna reqlly try and treat it with the respect it deserves and not just head up having the laugh with the lads....

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    That was by far the toughest 5K I've ever run. The finish line might as well of been on Croagh Patrick. Tuam will be a walkover ;)

Dont know about the walkover part but I do like the croagh Patrick reference, I thoight I'd never get therw :-D:-D

Spot on, thats the plan. Will do fook all on work that day as well :-D Gonna reqlly try and treat it with the respect it deserves and not just head up having the laugh with the lads....

You will do it Marty, just look it as the faster you get out of Tuam the better!!!!!!!!

Next up I hope to do a 10k in Sixmilebridge at the end of the month with the hope of breaking my softest pb 43.19.

So did the 10k this evening & came home in 42.54 which is a 25 second pb. Well happy with this as the course was a little bit more difficult than the advertised 'flat'. Tried a few different things for this race - changed the watch to kms and gave my Mizuna Hitogamis their first outing. Felt the change to kms was good as with more frequent splits I could monitor the overall pace a bit better. The new footwear went well which I was pleased with - it was the first time I'd run a race in anything other than triumph 10's. The plan was to go sub 43 which was 4.18 pace so tried to keep the splits about 4.15 to allow for racing line. The splits were as follows;
    4.13,4.14,4.15,4.25,4.17,4.17,4.14,4.07,4.20,4.20, .12(.04 km)
    Was a bit disheartened when I saw the 4.25 for 4th km but kept plugging away and in fairness there was a nice continous drag from the 2nd to 4th km. Really happy with the splits for final 2 kms as they were by far the hardest of the race with a bitch of a hill for 1.5 kms. Seemed to cope better than those around me here & took a few places in this section.
    Well organised event with lots of grub afterwards. Congrats to all in BMOH AC for a very well run race & all for €10. Not sure who won it or in what time but Sean Hehir was in the field. Good to meet Mike the Mechanic again. Giving serious consideration to joining up with Mikes club Dooneen AC - watch this space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

So did the 10k this evening & came home in 42.54 which is a 25 second pb.

Congrats! Nice one:D and great to get the pb!

Great stuff, you're back on track it seems. How are you feeling now running wise, any problems since your layoff?

I think Sean Hehir did it last year also, it might be a regular thing for him so :)
    A great value race at €10 alright, I had it in the back of my mind for a while.
    Congrats on the PB, always good to get one. Keep up the good work....

Great work Bulmers , I'm jealous of your time! What's up next? You should join that club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

how's it going folks,looking for a bit of advice.
    due to start a 18 week p+d plan on june 23rd but i'm doing the clontarf half and am not too keen on doing 20+ miles in the week leading up to it,thinking of starting the plan a week early and having an easy/taper week in the run up to the HM,good idea or not?
    i want to really go for it in the HM so want to be fresh for it..

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    how's it going folks,looking for a bit of advice.
    due to start a 18 week p+d plan on june 23rd but i'm doing the clontarf half and am not too keen on doing 20+ miles in the week leading up to it,thinking of starting the plan a week early and having an easy/taper week in the run up to the HM,good idea or not?
    i want to really go for it in the HM so want to be fresh for it..

I'm assuming it's the up to 55 mile p&d plan you intend to follow. If it were me I'd do the 1st week as prescribed and on week 2 I'd do
    Mon 30th 4 miles recovery
    Tues 1st 8 miles easy (4 or 5 strides)
    Wed 2nd 6 miles easy
    Thurs 3rd rest
    Fri 4th rest or 2 mile jog
    Sat 5th race
    Sun 6th 3 mile recovery

With this your still getting the prescribed mileage but with a bit of rest. As week 1 & 2 of this plan are only 4 days running it just means you're progressing to 5 days running a week earlier than the plan.

How are you feeling now running wise, any problems since your layoff?

Overall not too bad. Initially thought there were a few niggles but probably just in the head. Trying not to overdo it. Took a bit of a chance a couple of weeks ago did about 10 miles more in the week than I should've - my excuse was I was working in Dublin for the week & staying near Phoenix park & did 2 doubles that I normally wouldn't do. Seemed to have got away with it!

What's up next? You should join that club.

2 10k's local to me in Cappawhite & Bilboa AC on the 8th & 13th of June & haven't decided if I'll do one or both of them. Intend to start 18 week marathon cycle starting on June 23rd. Still undecided on a plan. Will try and incorporate the frank Duffy 10 & Athlone half into whatever plan I choose.

2 10k's local to me in Cappawhite & Bilboa AC on the 8th & 13th of June & haven't decided if I'll do one or both of them. Intend to start 18 week marathon cycle starting on June 23rd. Still undecided on a plan. Will try and incorporate the frank Duffy 10 & Athlone half into whatever plan I choose.

There will be a meitheal of boardsies at the athlone HM by the sounds of it! I must get off my ass and start training for it myself. Id say 1 of those 10km s is enough:rolleyes:

There will be a meitheal of boardsies at the athlone HM by the sounds of it! I must get off my ass and start training for it myself. Id say 1 of those 10km s is enough:rolleyes:

Yeah I did the Dublin series half last year and it seemed like a load of boardsies did Athlone and I felt I missed out! Might be an opportunity for us 2013 graduates to finally all meet up.
    You're probably right on the 10k's. I'll more than likely do Bilboa on the 13th as I did it last year and can compare times etc.

See ye all in athlone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

I'm assuming it's the up to 55 mile p&d plan you intend to follow. If it were me I'd do the 1st week as prescribed and on week 2 I'd do
    Mon 30th 4 miles recovery
    Tues 1st 8 miles easy (4 or 5 strides)
    Wed 2nd 6 miles easy
    Thurs 3rd rest
    Fri 4th rest or 2 mile jog
    Sat 5th race
    Sun 6th 3 mile recovery

With this your still getting the prescribed mileage but with a bit of rest. As week 1 & 2 of this plan are only 4 days running it just means you're progressing to 5 days running a week earlier than the plan.
    sounds good to me.
    recovery for me is 9 min mile (i honestly can't go any slower) ,what pace would you suggest for the easy runs?
    thanks btw..

ooter wrote: »
    sounds good to me.
    recovery for me is 9 min mile (i honestly can't go any slower) ,what pace would you suggest for the easy runs?
    thanks btw..

I think Pfitzinger describes easy runs as general aerobic runs and prescribes the required pace as 15 to 25% slower than mp. For me easy runs aren't quite that slow but generally about 60 seconds slower than current mp.

@MartyBoy
    Best of luck tomorrow, you can do it no doubt about it.:D

• Advertisement

Galway 5km Series
    Race #6 (Tuesday) Tuam chip 19:46 ( 19 sec PB) :D:D

Well, here it is. The final leg of the 5k series with it all to play for :D

Well rested coming into this race. Dropped the tag rugby for the day and took it handy at work. Didn't run the day before either so this was it, throw everything at it :D

Headed to Tuam early as didn't know how bad the traffic would be so arrived at about 7:10 for a 8pm race time. Met with a buddy for a gentle warm up run, nothing much, just to loosen myself out and take my mind of it. Did I tell ye, I was actually really nervous coming into it, compounded as I saw SfM's good wishes the night before. No pressure :D

The race
    Starting from a reasonable position and headed off for the first Km.

1st km was straight out the road, bit of a headwind but not to bad having it in the early stages of the race. Small bit of positioning and passing but everything to plan.

2nd km was a nice downhill section mostly with a flat section towards the end. Trying to keep concentration up, whenever I felt my mind wandering or switching off, I reminded myself what I was here for. Lengthened the stride a bit and let gravity and momentum help out a little.

3rd km was a bit of a drag. Slight incline for this km but as we had turned back towards start/finish direction, any bit of wind would have been at our backs but nothing to noticeable. Trying to pick off a few around me. One at a time, slowly but surely. Hadn't been paying a lot of attention to the watch, just a couple of glances to see how i'm fixed. I'd read there was a bit of a tough section of a climb for about 100 meters towards the end of the 4rd km so I was trying to keep a bit of strength for that. One thing of note was my breathing was controlled here where as in the other races It would have been a bit erratic. Breathing heavy but calm and controlled kinda way.

4th km Not much to note here, more of the same. Trying to remain composed and pick off a few runners around me. Another glance at the watch to see if I had anything in the bank for the hill at the end and the last km but there wasn't much leeway. Not to worry, the hill came and went before I knew it. I had it built up to be much more in my head and by the end of the 4th km I felt I was I not to bad shape considering.

5th km, OK remain calm Marty. I know the last km is the one I usually get dizzy and feel sick, but going into this final km I feel grand. Well, exhausted but grand if ya know what I mean. This would be purely running and not holding of fainting or sickness :D:D I know it's mainly a gentle downhill/flat km so just don't trip I tell myself :D For the last 400 meters approx we turn into a housing estate down to the finish. Road exceptionally smooth with a nice descent. Perfect for this tired man to stretch the legs with longer strides again. I had looked at the watch turning into this last 400 and was fairly sure I got my sub 20 barring disaster. Funny that, as I was running down the finish straight I felt stronger than at any of the other 5k races( not hard mind you) but there was still strength in the legs. Only small gripe was about 100 meters to go some lad powered past me. I was fairly clipping along but I think I could have made him earn the spot. Instead I was content with my first sub 20. That will not be happening again :D

1km 4:03, 2km 3:52, 3km 4:04, 4km 4:05, 5km 3:50 chip 19:46

So there it is, an interesting series. Changed my mind on a few things and I've learned a lot in a short time. 5ks are hard, damn hard. I've felt a different kind of pain while running these 5ks but I'm sure it's just that I'm not used to these effort levels or maybe It's just that it's what you gotta do to grind out a time. I'll be more inclined to bash out a few more 5k's now when they pop up as it's like quick fix racing, in terms of a shorter recovery anyways.

Met Sean Puddin briefly afterwards. Was nice meeting you Sean but I must apologise for being brief. Took a while to cop on it was you plus I was on the lookout for workmates to sort out transport. Anyways we'll catch up and another race no doubt.

Thanks again to all here for the good wishes and especially SfM for putting me under such pressure that I nearly shat myself before the race ha ha :D

Advertisement