Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done Marty. Great to see you get under the 20!! Perseverance pays off on 5kms. Takes a couple to get used to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

well done marty, great racing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Huge congrats, so well deserved. Sure I knew a bit a Mayo pressure always gets the best out of Galway people, especially in Tuam!!! Now I will be late for work over the race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Super running Marty and no more than you deserved - I've really enjoyed following your runs across this series, thanks for posting the ups and downs. Great to you smash the PB and get the sub 20 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Well done Marty. I was brief myself, could barely breathe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Well done on the sub 20 Martyboy, put the feet up for the night now!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Nice one Marty - well done. What's the plan for the rest of the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Thanks all, appreciate it :)
    Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Nice one Marty - well done. What's the plan for the rest of the summer?

Portumna half on Sat week, streets of Galway 8km Aug 9th, Athlone half 13th Sept.... Might do an odd short race but nothing much I'd say. Will be focusing fully on DCM but the odd race will need to be thrown in to pep things up :)

NOW MARTY BEST OF LUCK TOMORROW. No pressure just be sure to get in before C M gives out all the cookies ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

SamforMayo wrote: »
    NOW MARTY BEST OF LUCK TOMORROW. No pressure just be sure to get in before C M gives out all the cookies ok!

Ditto Marty!

• Advertisement

Oh there she is again piling on the pressure :-D Cheers S, pressure can be a good motivator, just like cookies :-D :-D . Pity she's not racing thoigh yaboya out as well I think :-( Hope they recover soon though. . Just realised its an early start, 9am I think. I better try to go to ed early tonight for a change. Bitt of dicky tummy today but not to bad. Easy week this week so well rested.

Cheers blockic .. Hope things are going well for you over there :-)

Marty where the feck is the race report?

Marty where the feck is the race report?

I'll do it after Glenroe.... Hold your horses :D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I'll do it after Glenroe.... Hold your horses :D
    Jaysus I hope you ran faster than you write!

Ok, so apparently I have to do a race report by you know who....

So here's a mish mash of how it went and my thoughts...

On the couple of days leading up to this I was taking it easy. I was having a few stomach issues which were a bit painful at times but would ease of again. This was my only real concern about the race as well as the realisation it was a 9am start. I had it in my head it was something like 11am.

Woke around the 6:40 mark for a bit of breakie and nice pot of coffee. I hadn't much time to sit back and watch the news or anything, just time to eat/drink, a bit of time on the throne :D, shower, gather up gear and hit the road. Oh ya, had to spend time planning a route as my sense of direction is as bad as a womans... I do have nightmares about taking the wrong turn in a race too :D

Arrived at registration around 8:30 to face a queue of people still waiting. I was just about to start to panic a bit when Ray announced that the start time would be delayed a bit to accomodate the delay.. Phew :D The cotton T shirt was a nice change from the tech t. Have loads and nice to get a T to wear casually.

Up to the start area after a bit of a warm up and the usual warm greeting by Seb. All was well until he announced something along the lines of there was no timing mat at the start and only timing mat was at the start/finish gantry. This was greeted with a murmur of discontent by a few around me. I think they thought we would only be timed on the final 20k. I figured it was just a gun time for start which is fine for such a small field and open start area. Anyway, at the start area I did my usual self analysis. Legs felt good, stomach felt a bit iffy as if I needed another loo break but I didn't, felt a bit warm even at this early hour(maybe that was my newly (accidentally) shaved head..
    Never mind, I here now and it's time to race...

The race
    The first 1k and a bit was the run down to the start/finish gantry from the forest entrance. I did this a a good clip to get ahead of any slower runners which may have impeded my when we got to the 5k loop. 4:06

Onto the 5k loop for the first time and I try to settle into a rhythm. I found It difficult and was still breathing heavily even though I backed off the pace. Stomach starts to hurt and I think about a DNF : ( . Funnily enough, whenever I read about others here recording a DNF I couldn't understand it. My lack of knowledge and understanding always thought they were just giving up if they weren't going to reach their target, stupid me.. Kept plugging away. Occasionally someone would say a few words like "what you aiming for" and "you're going well", but I was struggling to keep motivation up and breathing under control. I wasn't able to chat so apologies if it was anyone here... 4:16, 4:23, 4:30, 4:13, 4:35

Second 5k loop, breathing improves slightly and I get a small bit of composure. Stomach at me still and I'm thinking I may need multiple loo breaks today and would one long loo break be better :eek: I know, I know TMI :D . The things that pop into ones mind ehh :D I keep going without going to said loo and persevere. I'm not to concerned about the garmin, going on effort and trying to keep the legs turning over at a reasonable rate. 4:30, 4:31, 4:32, 4:20, 4:34

Third 5k loop. Stomach tight but pain seems to be leaving, Yayy :D Feeling the heat now. During this race I planned on taking no water on first and last of the race stops, and in between just taking a little sip. As I'm doing this the heat is becoming a factor for me so I slow down a the stops and take a sip and pour a little over my baldie head to try to cool down a little :D Recognise a few faces running but not by name really. Spot TFBubendorfer alright and I tell myself I must give him a shoutout when we pass on opposite sides next. He was going well for a fella doing a 100k :D
    Legs tired to moving. 4:28, 4:26, 4:36, 4:19, 4:35

Fourth and final 5k loop. Block out stomach thoughts and get this done. Tired legs is the main issue here but this is to be expected at this stage. Really into race mode now(bit late i know :D ) but it take my mind of things. Picking off a few that passed me earlier and watching out for anyone after me from the last 180 cone turn. Gaining a boost from these little victories. The last couple of k was spent digging deep to kill off any fighbacks from these people. Sounding like a epic war film now doesn't it? More like grandads army :D Anyway as I passed them I was thinking to push on and kill them off, if anything else it lifted my spirits a bit :) Oh, I saw TFBubendorfer and tried to muster a gladiator like shout but I'd say what came out was a wimper of a "go boardsies" :D
    Final 5k splits 4:25, 4:26, 4:32, 4:18, 4:22

Results not out yet but garmin 1:33:04 a modest 35 sec PB from kinvara earlier.

After the race I was a little woobly and the stomach was aching a fair bit. I may go to the doc in the next couple of days if it persists as i may need an antibiotic or something. Maybe its just a bug going around. Still managed to get a nice coffee and a flapjack and laze about on the grass for half an hour :D All things considered I'm happy with the result even though I didn't particularly enjoy the race. Happy I stuck in there and would really like to race a half again where I have no issues. It feels like every race report I do it sound like i'm listing off excuses and problems. Anyway, there it is. Something to build on over the summer maybe and another assault in Athlone. Will be back for another jaunt of some distance next year. Might even camp out there and have a cheese and wine picnic afterwards :D

Edit official splits ;
    (1.1k)0:04:00
    (6.1k)0:21:58
    (11.1k)0:22:31
    (16.1k)0:22:31
    (21.1k)0:22:08. Finish time 1:33:08 (31sec PB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done Marty. Great running. Looks like I'll have to get my ass in gear to keep up with you in Athlone :D

Fair play Marty, a pb is a pb. Sounds like a lot struggled on Saturday. The report was worth the wait!

Well done Marty. Great running. Looks like I'll have to get my ass in gear to keep up with you in Athlone :D

Thanks K, I'm sure you'll be a sure you'll be safely ahead of me in Athlone. I get tired just reading the assortment of training you're doing lately. Pretty sure I'd struggle to do 3 pull ups/chin ups, heck, I even thought they were the same thing :D Hope you get back to running properly soon though and the injury clears up :)
    Fair play Marty, a pb is a pb. Sounds like a lot struggled on Saturday. The report was worth the wait!

Ah my very own miss motivator :D Thanks for the support and encouragement.
    So, what have you lined up?? Time to get something lined up on the horizon to look forward to :)

Next up Marty is 2 weeks in the sun! I'm trying to build up the Lsr again and will get stuck into a plan after hols for HM in Athlone . Also have a 10km near end of July. I have to say I'm enjoying the break from following a plan though!

Well done Marty. We now have the exact same pb time for the half to the second :) Athlone could be interesting ;)
    Have you decided on a plan for Dublin? Not sure myself what to do - whether to follow a generic plan or make up one. I'm going to do an 18 week plan is as much as I know.

• Advertisement

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Well done Marty. We now have the exact same pb time for the half to the second :) Athlone could be interesting ;)
    Have you decided on a plan for Dublin? Not sure myself what to do - whether to follow a generic plan or make up one. I'm going to do an 18 week plan is as much as I know.

Same time to the second?? Jebus, I'm going to have to sabotage your Athlone effort :D I'll have to keep an eye out for ya there without you seeing me and try to pip you on the line :D

No definite plan yet. In the process of committing to something by the end of the week but it's pointing towards P&D 55-70 plan this time. My usual panic mode setting in as usual. Fear and excitement, and the dread of some tough training ahead, is how I'm feeling lately. Going to the point of no return.Yayhoo :D

Let me know what you decide, will be interesting to see how we go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Lads ye might like the plan Meno did up for the graduates last year for DCM. Murph posted it on his log and I think it's a great plan
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Iqh0HwS7Tg0CIUOs8LPvyGiPaSKI1LxP0DIV8Vuazm8/edit?usp=sharing

Couple of races to report on since I last checked in. Did the 10k in Bilboa AC last Friday - came home in 43.01. Although this was 9 seconds outside my pb from Sixmilebridge a couple of weeks ago I was happy with this run. The course which was the national 10k route back in '05 or '06, was testing with a fast last mile. The time was 39 seconds faster than last year.

Did my first 5 miler tonight in Kilfinane - came home in 33.39 (garmin time). Again happy with this as it's showing gradual improvement. The course had a slight incline for 1st half, then 2 miles of downhill & then a climb for the last 300 yards. Splits for tonight 7.01, 7.14,6.30,6.16,6.28, .08 (.03 mile).

Thinking of giving Meno's marathon plan a go for DCM. Serious core work over the next few weeks as the turf has to be saved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hackney Half Marathon for me yesterday. Came home in chip time of 1:35:33. Little off the 1:35 target. Hot day and tough going from 10k onwards.

Just an update on the first 2 weeks of marathon training. As previously stated I'm following the meno plan posted by c_m c m ;). I'm going to follow it insofar as I'm going to do the prescribed sessions but will probably do higher weekly mileage. The session last week was 10 x yasso 800s - these are 800 fast pace (around 5k pace) with 800 jog recovery. Went to Bilboa AC to do the session. The track is a 600m cinder track with a bit of a hill on one side. Wasn't really sure of pace but decided that 3:15 reps sounded about right:confused:. After a 2 mile warm up 8.41 & 8.40 the splits for the 800's were 3.10, 3.01, 3.03, 3.10, 3.16, 3.07, 3.14, 3.16. Only managed 8 reps & decided to call it a day. Didn't feel too bad about bailing on the last 2 as I've really done very few sessions to date. I really found it tough and was digging deep from rep 5 onwards. The recovery 800's were getting slower as I went on also. In hindsight I probably ran the first few too fast anyway.
    This weeks session was to be a progression run but I decided to substitute it with a 10k race - Coillte 10k organised by Dundrum AC. I'd eyed up this local race from a while back & I was targeting a good time as the course was a fast one. Before the race I was my usual negative self & had my excuses lined up for a poor performance. Despite these thoughts I had decided to adopt a slightly more aggressive tactic than usual. My pb was 42.52 but decided for this race to go out at 4.10/km pace which if maintained would result in a time of 41.40:eek: The race was 2 5k laps around the village of Dundrum on country roads. The km splits for the race were 4.09, 4.07, 4.06, 4.14, 4.07, 4.10, 4.09, 4.10, 4.08 & 4.01 resulting in a chip time of 41.22:D a 90 second pb. I went from 74th to 64th from th halfway point which further showed i got the pacing right. Delighted with this & feel its the culmination of my 15 week rehab since injury.
    That night woke up a few times with cramps in the calves but all ok . Thursday did 5 mile recovery @ 9.43. Had entered my first 5k for the Friday night on the runway at Shannon airport. Wasn't sure whether I'd race it or not with the 10k race in the legs. Was going to ask here for advice but as the auld man used to say don't ask the question if you might get an answer you don't want to hear:P Have read a lot here about 5k's recently as it seems to be what all the cool kids are at. All I wanted was sub 20 & McMillan predicted it was within my capability. The run itself was a weird & unique experience and I was glad to be one of the almost 1200 participants. Didn't have any back lighting on on the watch so just went out hard & tried to maintain pace (some say, meno, davemcmahon etc. not looking at the watch is the way to run 5k!) The breeze was only slight so didn't impact too much and all other conditions were perfect. Miscalculated a bit when I heard the watch beep at 3 k as I thought it was the 4k mark. Threw a few fcuks out ta me when I realised my error. So we came to the finish & I could see the clock read 18.xx:eek: Crossed the line in 18.49. As with most things in life if something appears to be too good it probably is and this was no different. 4.8 k was showing on the watch & the general consensus at the end line was it was 200m short:( For the record the splits were 3.54, 4.01, 3.52, 3.50 & 3.10 (800 metres). Finished 46th overall. Allowing 45 seconds for the short distance I'm going to give myself an unofficial pb of 19.35 & the time to beat if I run the distance again.
    Now its time to knuckle down to marathon training and forget all this (enjoyable) racing for a while. Back to plan meno & no more diversion:p

**** you anyways :D You come back from injury and knock out these impressive times effortlessly :D Seriously though, massive congrats. Even on the short 5k run your splits are impressive.
    I'm kinda going along with your marathon thinking, was debating a P&D plan but a bit of panic sent me to meno plan. Just starting and full of fear already :(

Well done again, great running..

PS I got your message and will contact shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

**** you anyways :D You come back from injury and knock out these impressive times effortlessly :D Seriously though, massive congrats. Even on the short 5k run your splits are impressive.
    I'm kinda going along with your marathon thinking, was debating a P&D plan but a bit of panic sent me to meno plan. Just starting and full of fear already :(

loads of the graduates last year followed meno's plan to great success so I'd say go for it.
    When you guys starting your logs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Fantastic work there Bulmers. I think you'll really enjoy the sessions in meno's plan

Dead jealous of all your racing.

Wouldn't it be great if it was effortless :D

On the fear thing I kinda know what you mean. Last year the 'not knowing what you were letting yourself in for' was a big plus. For this cycle just going to try to nail the sessions, enjoy the easy running & hopefully everything will fall into place.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    When you guys starting your logs?

Have thought about it alright - we'll see!

Advertisement