Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    A big +1 to this. A great performance Marty - well done. Enjoyed catching up. Hopefully next time we have a beer it won't be sans alcohol!

As for myself I suffered badly today. Not sure what it means for me and DCM but I'll mull it over during the week. Have been finding mp very tough over the last few weeks. Next weekends 10 easy + 10 @ mp should tell a tale

By the sounds of things most people suffered today so I wouldn't let today's race factor in any decisions you make Bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

That's a super time Marty in the conditions. Well done :D
    Thank you so much. Hope you're keeping well. Some stupendous training going on in your log, I do get tired thinking about all you do :)
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Jes that's a fantastic result especially given the heat! I'm so proud of you! That sub 1:30 would be guaranteed on a day with better conditions. Delighted for you, go celebrate!
    Aww shucks, thats all I wanted to do was to make you proud ha ha :D
    Thanks for the well wishes, oh and 1 thing I've learned is nothing is guaranteed in the running game :) Celebrations in 30 mins, €10 bottle of plonk :)
    That's lots of smilies :) Well done you should be delighted with that pb with still more to come.
    It was like the good, the bad, and the ugly. Good to get a PB, Bad I couldn't hang on and my wobble along the ditches at 20k was down right ugly :D Oh and I do like my smileys, make things less formal I think :D
    A big +1 to this. A great performance Marty - well done. Enjoyed catching up. Hopefully next time we have a beer it won't be sans alcohol!

As for myself I suffered badly today. Not sure what it means for me and DCM but I'll mull it over during the week. Have been finding mp very tough over the last few weeks. Next weekends 10 easy + 10 @ mp should tell a tale
    Good to catch up with you too. Definitely some proper beers next time :) Hopefully you'll nail the next MP session, don't be making any rash decisions yet anyway, you've got plenty of talent in ya, you just got to tap into it(but don't ask me how as I'm not the most knowledgeable in that regard). 10 easy + 10@MP would be tough at any time. TBH I'm not sure how I'd get on with it.
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    By the sounds of things most people suffered today so I wouldn't let today's race factor in any decisions you make Bulmers.
    +1

SfM, 3 weeks to your 10k.... Your ears are gonna be burnin' :D No pressure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Well done Marty, enjoy your plonk! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Well done Marty, enjoy your plonk! ;)

+1. Well deserved:D
    and get that log going!!!!!!!!!!

SfM, 3 weeks to your 10k.... Your ears are gonna be burnin' :D No pressure :)[/QUOTE]

Feck off and drink your wine:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Are you doing the Human Race?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Are you doing the Human Race?

I had planned to do it as part of my last 20 miler with 1st 10k easy, 2nd steady (c 8m/m) & last 10k @ mp - 7.30

I had planned to do it as part of my last 20 miler with 1st 10k easy, 2nd steady (c 8m/m) & last 10k @ mp - 7.30

Good plan ;)

So after the drama of yesterday what to do today. There was a 10 k in our village & I had intended doing it at an easy pace as recovery. Got to the startline and decided to go out at a faster pace (dunno why maybe white line fever or to workout some of yesterday's frustration). I know the course like the back of my hand and I knew the mile long hill in the 3rd mile would catch a lot of people. There is also a good fall of ground over the last 4k. Not half as hot as yesterday with a nice breeze. Splits came in at 6.56, 7.18, 7.33, 7.08, 6.21, 6.00 & 1.15 (.24) giving a time of 42.31. Although I was pushing hard at the end I recovered almost straight away. Bit of a mystery after yesterday. Don't feel as bad about yesterday's performance as I initially did after reading similar race reports to my own experience.

So after the drama of yesterday what to do today. There was a 10 k in our village & I had intended doing it at an easy pace as recovery. Got to the startline and decided to go out at a faster pace (dunno why maybe white line fever or to workout some of yesterday's frustration). I know the course like the back of my hand and I knew the mile long hill in the 3rd mile would catch a lot of people. There is also a good fall of ground over the last 4k. Not half as hot as yesterday with a nice breeze. Splits came in at 6.56, 7.18, 7.33, 7.08, 6.21, 6.00 & 1.15 (.24) giving a time of 42.31. Although I was pushing hard at the end I recovered almost straight away. Bit of a mystery after yesterday. Don't feel as bad about yesterday's performance as I initially did after reading similar race reports to my own experience.

I never picked up on the 10k being the next day :D I'd be very careful about back to back races, even if you plan to make the second a recovery. You know it will never happen, and a recovery pace should be slower than an easy pace :) If only I could follow my own advice :D

Most importantly though, it's good to see you a bit more positive. I knew you were a bit off after yesterdays performance but hopefully this will give you a bit of a lift. Look around at the logs and you will see how so many suffered, I might have got lucky this time but it's all about on the day as you know.

Just to make you feel better, I went out for a 5k recovery today and my knee was as bad as ever without the painkillers. I'll have to book myself in for a NCT I think.... Fingers crossed for Dublin for both of us!!!

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I never picked up on the 10k being the next day :D I'd be very careful about back to back races, even if you plan to make the second a recovery. You know it will never happen, and a recovery pace should be slower than an easy pace :) If only I could follow my own advice :D

Most importantly though, it's good to see you a bit more positive. I knew you were a bit off after yesterdays performance but hopefully this will give you a bit of a lift. Look around at the logs and you will see how so many suffered, I might have got lucky this time but it's all about on the day as you know.

Just to make you feel better, I went out for a 5k recovery today and my knee was as bad as ever without the painkillers. I'll have to book myself in for a NCT I think.... Fingers crossed for Dublin for both of us!!!

So that's where I'm going wrong - all this time doing recovery runs @ 10k pace ;)
    But seriously, point taken. I normally wouldn't go near a race situation for a recovery run but I think I've got away without doing any damage. It might have been a bit wreckless for the body but it was a bit of nourishment for the soul :) Proper(ish) recovery done this morning - 5 miles @ 9min pace!
    Do us a favour and mind that knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

was that the Kilsheelan 10k by any chance? I also ran it but I actually did run it as a recovery run as I had done 20 on the Saturday! it was hard not to race it:eek:

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    was that the Kilsheelan 10k by any chance? I also ran it but I actually did run it as a recovery run as I had done 20 on the Saturday! it was hard not to race it:eek:

No, the race I did was in East Limerick. Saw the results of Kilsheelan - won in a fast time.

Marty, that's a dose about the knee especially when it held up well Saturday. Mind yourself.

Not sure what it means for me and DCM but I'll mull it over during the week. Have been finding mp very tough over the last few weeks. Next weekends 10 easy + 10 @ mp should tell a tale

After my balls up in Athlone last week I was anxious to get a solid week of training in.

Mon
    am 5.04 miles @ 9:00 recovery
    pm 7.03 @ 8:12 - was surprised the legs dictated that this was easy pace considering the weekend. Normally easy pace is around 8:30 - 8:40

Tues
    8.06 @ 8:19
    Did 5 or six strides in the last mile

Wed
    13.07 @ 8:40
    Did this in Limerick on the way home from work. Had MiketheMechanic for company for 8.5 miles which was great.

Thurs
    7.06 @ 8:40
    Did this in the morning & legs felt tired from previous nights mlr. Booked & paid for hotel for DCM (no refund!)

Fri - rest

Sat
    21.04 @ 8:00
    Session was to be 18 miles with 10 @ mp. Pmp is 7:30. Was apprehensive about this one as lately I was finding anything at mp tough work. I decided to up the mileage & make this a 20 miler (7th of the cycle). Splits were
    9:28, 8:58, 8:37, 8:30, 8:26, 8:30, 8:06, 8:21, 8:19, 7:58, 7:22, 7:27, 7:32, 7:30, 7:23, 7:25, 7:27, 7:22, 7:22, 7:20, 8:32

The 10 easy averaged 8:31 & the 10 mp averaged 7:25. Threw in an extra easy mile at the end to make it 21. Legs were sore afterwards - not in a niggly way but in an achey good session kinda way. Was happy out with this & gives the confidence a much needed boost. Hopefully training will progress in a similar manner for the next few weeks. Keys sessions next week are 14 with 10 @ mp midweek & 22 lsr next weekend.

Good work there Bulmers. Very nice to be able to knock out 10@ MP in the middle of a 21 miler :D

Solid week there Bulmers, nailed saturdays LSR session. On that subject, that was your 7th 20+ miler so far, with another one next week and the human race on the 5thOct :eek: You mad fooker :D What plan you following again??

Good to see you booked DCM, 2013 graduates going to wreck mcgrattans afterwards :D:D (or more than likely be cups of tea and discussing the finer points of Dublin architecture :)

Well done again..

On that subject, that was your 7th 20+ miler so far, with another one next week and the human race on the 5thOct :eek: You mad fooker :D

It's all TbL's fault :D In July I was due to do 17 with him, he got lost and we ended up doing 20 & I just kept it going after that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Sorry I haven't been posting here as often as I would like.

It's been a busy week. 5 miles on Tuesday @ 7:30 mile pace
    8.5 miles on Wednesday with Bulmers74 @ 8:40
    6 fast miles on Friday @ 8:00 pace

Today, I needed to do 18 miles.
    I headed down to Charleville a bit early to get 4.5 miles @9:00 pace in before the race, then stayed with the 1:45 pacers until 11.5 miles, before pushing on to come home in 1:43:48. I felt pretty good throughout, thou it took the first 2 miles of the race to settle in to the 8:00 pace.

Its a big pshycological boost to be able to bag 13.1 miles at a little faster than PMP.
    Particularly on tired legs. I raced the Dingle Half only 2 weeks ago, and did a 15 miler LSR last week, so hopefully after the taper, the legs will feel even stronger.

Sports massage tomorrow, then 19 mile LSR with Bulmers74 next weekend, then the Human Race in 2 week's time. Hopefully no injuries will crop up before taper time.

Keep on running.
    Altius et Fortius.
    MtM

It's all TbL's fault :D In July I was due to do 17 with him, he got lost and we ended up doing 20 & I just kept it going after that :)

That man has a lot to answer for :-D It did put the frighteners on me though so headed out today to do my first 20 miler :-D
    If only you could donate some of yours :-)

• Advertisement

Sorry I haven't been posting here as often as I would like.

It's been a busy week. 5 miles on Tuesday @ 7:30 mile pace
    8.5 miles on Wednesday with Bulmers74 @ 8:40
    6 fast miles on Friday @ 8:00 pace

Today, I needed to do 18 miles.
    I headed down to Charleville a bit early to get 4.5 miles @9:00 pace in before the race, then stayed with the 1:45 pacers until 11.5 miles, before pushing on to come home in 1:43:48. I felt pretty good throughout, thou it took the first 2 miles of the race to settle in to the 8:00 pace.

Its a big pshycological boost to be able to bag 13.1 miles at a little faster than PMP.
    Particularly on tired legs. I raced the Dingle Half only 2 weeks ago, and did a 15 miler LSR last week, so hopefully after the taper, the legs will feel even stronger.

Sports massage tomorrow, then 19 mile LSR with Bulmers74 next weekend, then the Human Race in 2 week's time. Hopefully no injuries will crop up before taper time.

Keep on running.
    Altius et Fortius.
    MtM

Solid run there Mike, well done.

That man has a lot to answer for :-D It did put the frighteners on me though so headed out today to do my first 20 miler :-D
    If only you could donate some of yours :-)

They'll be no fear of ya come the 27th - sure didn't you blitz Conn on the back of one 20 miler ;)

Sun-21/9
    am 6.12 @ 9.09 recovery
    pm 5.11 @ 8.37 just a few easy miles to bring up last weeks mileage to 72.53

Mon
    Decided to front load a bit on the mileage to give myself a bit of scope either side of the midweek session.
    am 12.25 @ 8.22- left calf giving me a bit of gyp
    pm 6.31 @ 8.51

Tues
    7.25 @ 8.27 - 6 strides in the last mile

Wed
    14.01 @ 7.29
    Plan was 2 w/u, 10 mp & 2 c/d
    Well & truly nailed this. Was working in Dublin & kinda knew I'd be finished early so brought the gear. Headed to the Phoenix Park. Ended up doing 11 mp miles as the 10th mile finished at the Ashtown Gate turn off on the way up the North Road so I HAD to keep going (after the thread about how difficult this stretch normally is). Splits were 8.16, 7.57, 7.23, 7.27, 7.22, 7.16, 7.16, 7.24, 7.15, 7.16, 7.14, 7.19, 7.13 & 8.12. When I slowed on the c/d mile the left calf was at me again. Did a few stretches on the way home & it seemed to do the trick.

Thurs
    7.03 @ 8.51

Fri
    8.27 @ 8.33

Sat - rest

Sun
    22.53 @ 8.48
    Had the company of MtM for 19 miles so that helped pass the time. Well tired after this, more so than last weeks mp effort long run but I'm assuming that's a cumulative effect. 77.47 miles for the week. Key sessions next week are 10 miles alternating around mp midweek & the human race 30k race on Sunday which I hope to do as a progression run

Good work. You're flying but make sure you look after that calf muscle. It might be a good idea if you could to get a sports massage before the weekend

Good work. You're flying but make sure you look after that calf muscle. It might be a good idea if you could to get a sports massage before the weekend
    I hear ya - that's the plan

Woo Woooo Wooooooooo.... Hold on a second...
    What's all this AM/PM running, extra MP mile for the craic, and a 22.53 LSR...... And you throw a dodgy calf to try to throw me of the scent???

Listen here buddy, I'm onto you, and so is everybody else here :D:D Sandbagger extraordinaire :D:D

Savage running, great to see the demons banished :)
    I reckon you have me well and truly bet in DCM so I'll concede defeat now so it wont get to messy :) Pass on my best regards to your coach TbL :D

A good week of running.
    10k on Tueaday, 10k Tempo on Wednesday and 10k MP on Friday.

Rest and stretching on Saturday.

19 miles LSR at 8 min 47sec pace on Sunday with Bulmers74 - thanks for the company :)

It's amazing how things develop as a runner. This year's LSR pace was last year's marathon pace :eek:

Legs and hips were a bit tired after the LSR. Last week's effort in Charleville still having an effect I think. Epsom salt bath sorted them out and they feel ok today. Plenty of rest and a recovery 6 mile run tomorrow.

Final long run coming up next Sunday - 21 miles.....then bring on the taper!

MtM

This time 4 weeks people.....:)

We will be progressing nicely. Good running form, feeling strong, up with the pace group that we've planned for and alll going well.
    And thinking of the rehydration plan in McGrattans :P

MtM

Woo Woooo Wooooooooo.... Hold on a second...
    What's all this AM/PM running, extra MP mile for the craic, and a 22.53 LSR...... And you throw a dodgy calf to try to throw me of the scent???

Listen here buddy, I'm onto you, and so is everybody else here :D:D Sandbagger extraordinaire :D:D

Savage running, great to see the demons banished :)
    I reckon you have me well and truly bet in DCM so I'll concede defeat now so it wont get to messy :) Pass on my best regards to your coach TbL :D

:D:D
    No sandbagging here, the goal is the same as it's been since day 1 - sub 3:20. As for yourself you're keeping the cards very close to the chest - no insight except rockin' up in Athlone on 1 leg on a warm day in 1:30ish :) You're a short odds on fav I reckon & are sure to be getting the 1st round in :D
    As for your fellow county man it does so happen I'm meeting him this evening & I'll pass on your best wishes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

I did Cork to Cobh yesterday, plan was to go about 5 seconds faster than MP which would be 8-40 but I was tipping along nicely and I wasn't checking my watch that much, after a few miles I noticed I was doing about 8-25ish pace so I just stayed on that pace till the end, even picked it up a small bit for last few miles. Average pace overall was 8:22. I was feeling very comfortable all the way around so that was a great confidence booster. did a 2 mile warm up and a 1.5mile cooldown afterwards.

only 1 week of high miles left before the taper starts!!!

Advertisement