Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Monday 29th
    a.m. 8.42 @ 8:30
    p.m. 8.12 @ 8:08 - did this with the company of TbL on the way home from work as he was in the neighbourhood. As always the time flew by in his company. Despite his dose of manflu he's in great shape and ready to tear Amsterdam apart!

Tuesday 30th
    8.63 @ 8:33 - Don't remember too much about this but it brought my monthly total for September to 276 miles.

Wednesday 1st
    14.24 @ 7:37
    Session was to be 2 w/u 10 miles 10/15 secs either side of mp & 2 c/d.
    Did this in the Phoenix Park again this week as I was working in Dublin. Didn't really manage the alternating paces but happy with the end result. Average for the 10 pace miles was 7:22.
    splits were 8:23, 7:58, 7:26, 7:26, 7:27, 7:19, 7:17, 7:26, 7:19, 7:18, 7:16, 7:22, 8:20, 8:08, 1:57(.24)

Thursday 2nd
    a.m. 5.26 @ 9:33 - proper recovery run as I started out slow & got slower
    p.m. 7.23 @ 8:46

Friday 3rd
    8.38 @ 8:27 - 6 strides in the last mile & a bit

Saturday 4th
    3.37@ 10.20 - a proper TbL nursing home special. Wasn't sure about this as I'd never done a run like this before. Can't have done any harm & really enjoyed it :)

Sunday 5th
    The Human Race 30k, Limerick
    2.56 w/u @ 9:07
    18.62 @7:42
    c/d .95 @ 9.49
    The plan for this was to do the first 10 k easy, 2nd 10k steady & last 10 k @ mp. Didn't really stick exactly to this but am happy with the outcome :D
    Started out behind the 3:45 pacer who was to run circa 8:30ish miles First 2 miles came in at 8:20 & 8:01:confused: (guess he was banking some time early).
    Splits were 8.20, 8.01, 8.24, 8.04, 8.09, 8.04, 7.59, 8.02, 7.48, 7.10, 7.36, 7.32, 7.37, 7.33, 7.19, 7.19, 7.15, 7.13 & 6.27 (.62)

Happy not only with the run but how I felt afterwards. With the mile c/d it brought the days total to 22.3 miles & the weeks total to 85.78 which is my peak mileage for this cycle.
    Key sessions next week are 14 mp :eek: midweek & 16 long run next weekend. The plan gives the option of 16 mile long run or a 10k race - for me if I didn't hit a time I'd expect in a 10k it could give a knock to the confidence so I'll opt for the long run.
    Planned mileage for the next 3 weeks is roughly 65, 50 & 35 - would appreciate a bit of feedback on this plan - is it too much/little?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Monday 29th
    a.m. 8.42 @ 8:30
    p.m. 8.12 @ 8:08 - did this with the company of TbL on the way home from work as he was in the neighbourhood. As always the time flew by in his company. Despite his dose of manflu he's in great shape and ready to tear Amsterdam apart!

Tuesday 30th
    8.63 @ 8:33 - Don't remember too much about this but it brought my monthly total for September to 276 miles.

Wednesday 1st
    14.24 @ 7:37
    Session was to be 2 w/u 10 miles 10/15 secs either side of mp & 2 c/d.
    Did this in the Phoenix Park again this week as I was working in Dublin. Didn't really manage the alternating paces but happy with the end result. Average for the 10 pace miles was 7:22.
    splits were 8:23, 7:58, 7:26, 7:26, 7:27, 7:19, 7:17, 7:26, 7:19, 7:18, 7:16, 7:22, 8:20, 8:08, 1:57(.24)

Thursday 2nd
    a.m. 5.26 @ 9:33 - proper recovery run as I started out slow & got slower
    p.m. 7.23 @ 8:46

Friday 3rd
    8.38 @ 8:27 - 6 strides in the last mile & a bit

Saturday 4th
    3.37@ 10.20 - a proper TbL nursing home special. Wasn't sure about this as I'd never done a run like this before. Can't have done any harm & really enjoyed it :)

Sunday 5th
    The Human Race 30k, Limerick
    2.56 w/u @ 9:07
    18.62 @7:42
    c/d .95 @ 9.49
    The plan for this was to do the first 10 k easy, 2nd 10k steady & last 10 k @ mp. Didn't really stick exactly to this but am happy with the outcome :D
    Started out behind the 3:45 pacer who was to run circa 8:30ish miles First 2 miles came in at 8:20 & 8:01:confused: (guess he was banking some time early).
    Splits were 8.20, 8.01, 8.24, 8.04, 8.09, 8.04, 7.59, 8.02, 7.48, 7.10, 7.36, 7.32, 7.37, 7.33, 7.19, 7.19, 7.15, 7.13 & 6.27 (.62)

Happy not only with the run but how I felt afterwards. With the mile c/d it brought the days total to 22.3 miles & the weeks total to 85.78 which is my peak mileage for this cycle.
    Key sessions next week are 14 mp :eek: midweek & 16 long run next weekend. The plan gives the option of 16 mile long run or a 10k race - for me if I didn't hit a time I'd expect in a 10k it could give a knock to the confidence so I'll opt for the long run.
    Planned mileage for the next 3 weeks is roughly 65, 50 & 35 - would appreciate a bit of feedback on this plan - is it too much/little?

J,

Great run today. The big mileage base is starting to pay off big time.

If I were you I'd try and get a few easy days in (shuffle off a few more nursing home specials!). That run might have taken more out of you than think.

Don't make the mistake of overcooking it at this stage.

Mileage taper looks about right for the miles you've been doing.

Martyboy must be quaking in his boots :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Fantastic run Bulmers. Love the fast splits at the finish. I'm with TbL on this one. It's in the bag now just keep a lid on it. I think your planned mileage is fine but I wouldn't be stressing about it if you're a few miles under. I would be concerned that 14 @ MP midweek is too much after today. I'd go 12 max or even break it up into 3 x 4m @MP with 2min recovery jogs

Fantastic run Bulmers. Love the fast splits at the finish. I'm with TbL on this one. It's in the bag now just keep a lid on it. I think your planned mileage is fine but I wouldn't be stressing about it if you're a few miles under. I would be concerned that 14 @ MP midweek is too much after today. I'd go 12 max or even break it up into 3 x 4m @MP with 2min recovery jogs

Don't know how, but I missed the 14 MPM mid week.

Bulmers are you as daft as you look!

That makes absolutely no sense to me, I'm no expert but that's too much in my opinion. You should ask others for advice on this ya daft brush!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

+1 when I was designing the above plan, I wasn't thinking of a man running 80+ mile weeks with such savage session. Sounds like you are in super shape Bulmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Turn that 14mp session into an 18mp session :D

Savage run there man, it's all coming good for you at the right time.
    Career_moves session sounds a bit better to me, but sure what would I know, I'm only a shuffler :)

Those nursing home specials are good I'd say, but be careful what other "specials" TbL gets you to do :D

Thanks for the comments guys. So glad ye've said that about the midweek mp session as I've been dreading the thought of it for weeks - will make the necessary adjustment as suggested.

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Those nursing home specials are good I'd say, but be careful what other "specials" TbL gets you to do :D

martyboy = the new Digger:p

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

22 lsr done on sat morning, delighted how it went average pace was 9-22, planned marathon pace is 8-44. stretches and straight home for an ice bath, legs felt great afterwards. I wanted to do one 22 miler this year for my head and I was delighted I did.

Taper time now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

My 21.2 LSR completed yesterday.
    This marks the end of my peak mileage week.
    So far, so good and injury free.

I did the last 6 miles at marathon pace yesterday, maybe slighty faster in places.
    I felt good at the end, so hopefully after the taper, another 5 miles won't be a problem.

Bring on the 27th!

MtM

Monday 6th
    7.27 @ 8:53

Tuesday 7th
    14.04 @ 7:26
    Now I know looking at the summary above it looks like I gave 2 fingers to the advice I got here last week but I didn't - really ;) Firstly doing the session 2 days after the Human Race was a risk but I had a few reasons for doing so. Had stuff on Wednesday and didn't want this hanging over me plus was working in Dublin and it was sit in traffic for an hour then travel 2 hours home and try and get out for a few miles or get this done in the Phoenix Park while the traffic passed and still get home at a reasonable hour.
    Splits were 8.06, 7.25, 7.12, 7.22, 7.18, 7.16, 7.24, 7.27, 7.19, 7.18, 7.20, 7.24, 7.18, 7.53. The average for the 12 mp miles was 7.20. w/u & c/d were a bit fast which accounts for the overall pace of 7:26

Wednesday 8th
    a.m. 4.21 @ 9:35 recovery.
    This was my first run in the O40 category :eek: and really enjoyed it :D

p.m. 6.19 @ 8:56
    Hadn't planned on this run but decided to use up some of the birthday goodwill that was flowing my way ;)

Thursday 9th
    10.15 @ 8:30
    Did this in Limerick on the way home from work which is probably what I'll do more of during the winter with the dark evenings.

Friday 10th - rest

Saturday 11th
    16.03 @ 8.32
    Found this a bit of a chore and glad to just get it done. A bit weary after this & even managed a 30 minute snooze in the afternoon. Think I've got the race day gear sorted - including my new club singlet! Going to be running in the colours of Dooneen AC on the 27th :cool:

Sunday 12th
    6.14 @ 8:46
    Still weary this evening when doing this but I had been up since 5 for a long day at work.

Weekly total of 64 miles. Key session next week is 10 miles midweek with 8 @ mp. Plan also to get a sports massage at some stage.

Monday 6th

Tuesday 7th
    Now I know looking at the summary above it looks like I gave 2 fingers to the advice I got here last week but I didn't - really ;) Firstly doing the session 2 days after the Human Race was a risk but I had a few reasons for doing so. Had stuff on Wednesday and didn't want this hanging over me plus was working in Dublin and it was sit in traffic for an hour then travel 2 hours home and try and get out for a few miles or get this done in the Phoenix Park while the traffic passed and still get home at a reasonable hour.
    Splits were 8.06, 7.25, 7.12, 7.22, 7.18, 7.16, 7.24, 7.27, 7.19, 7.18, 7.20, 7.24, 7.18, 7.53. The average for the 12 mp miles was 7.20. w/u & c/d were a bit fast which accounts for the overall pace of 7:26

Wednesday 8th
    This was my first run in the O40 category :eek: and really enjoyed it :D

Hadn't planned on this run but decided to use up some of the birthday goodwill that was flowing my way ;)

Thursday 9th
    Did this in Limerick on the way home from work which is probably what I'll do more of during the winter with the dark evenings.

Friday 10th - rest

Saturday 11th
    16.03 @ 8.32
    Found this a bit of a chore and glad to just get it done. A bit weary after this & even managed a 30 minute snooze in the afternoon. Think I've got the race day gear sorted - including my new club singlet! Going to be running in the colours of Dooneen AC on the 27th :cool:

Sunday 12th
    Still weary this evening when doing this but I had been up since 5 for a long day at work.

Weekly total of 64 miles. Key session next week is 10 miles midweek with 8 @ mp. Plan also to get a sports massage at some stage.

J,

That's a savage week.

With my limited knowledge I be concerned that you might be slightly over cooking it. Would you not do reps at PMP instead of that 10 miler.

Maybe Meno or one of the other lads might give you a better steer.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

J,

That's a savage week.

With my limited knowledge I be concerned that you might be slightly over cooking it. Would you not do reps at PMP instead of that 10 miler.

Maybe Meno or one of the other lads might give you a better steer.

TbL

Nah, 8 miles @ PMP should be no problem after doing 12 the week before.

Monday 6th

Tuesday 7th
    Splits were 8.06, 7.25, 7.12, 7.22, 7.18, 7.16, 7.24, 7.27, 7.19, 7.18, 7.20, 7.24, 7.18, 7.53. The average for the 1 12 mp miles was 7.20. w/u & c/d were a bit fast which accounts for the overall pace of 7:26

Wednesday 8th
    2 This was my first run in the O40 category :eek: and really enjoyed it :D

Thursday 9th

Friday 10th - rest

Saturday 11th
    16.03 @ 8.32
    Found this a bit of a chore and glad to just get it done. A bit weary after this & even managed a 30 minute snooze in the afternoon. Think I've got the race day gear sorted - 3 including my new club singlet! Going to be running in the colours of Dooneen AC on the 27th :cool:

Sunday 12th

1: So what is your target REALLY for DCM!! And don't be giving me that 3:20 speel :D

2: You auld codger :D:D (I'm actually a week older that you, we'll have b'day pints in mcG's :D

3: Whoo hooo... Look at you all organised with a new club :D:D So when you gonna be a man and get a new log for yourself :D:D:D

I'll give ya a few hours to run your answers by coach TbL and await your reply :D

Savage weeks running there though, you seem to be hitting form at just the right time, well done J...

Just noticed there, I'm a terrible man for the emoticons, I'll have to tone it down a bit!!!!

1: So what is your target REALLY for DCM!! And don't be giving me that 3:20 speel :D

2: You auld codger :D:D (I'm actually a week older that you, we'll have b'day pints in mcG's :D

3: Whoo hooo... Look at you all organised with a new club :D:D So when you gonna be a man and get a new log for yourself :D:D:D

I'll give ya a few hours to run your answers by coach TbL and await your reply :D

Alright Marty
    The real target - that's a tough one. I know the last few mp sessions indicate something like sub 3:15 but I'm not overly convinced of my own ability to pace. If there was a 3:15 pacer I might have a tilt at it but not so sure on my own steam. The plan at the moment, allowing for half decent weather, is to follow the 3:20 pacers for the majority of the trip & reassess at 15 & 21 miles. The last 5 miles are fast so I'll have to evaluate what's left in the tank at that stage. Last year I was hanging on in the last 4 miles but I hope the number of 20 milers done will see me finish a bit stronger this year. As for gold, silver & bronze times I'd be looking at sub 3:15 for gold, sub 3:20 for silver & sub 3:25 for bronze. If I was to predict a time I'd say 3:17:xx - current pb is 3:28:57.

Definitely on for birthday pints :D Only thing now is we're in the auld man category:eek:

The log will be up and running next month :rolleyes:

Speaking of auld lads I haven't been talking to TbL since last week. I understand he's currently across the pond holed up in a hotel room trying to avoid the minibar and all contact with mankind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

@Bulmers -your log will be up and running next month? sure you will have nothing to log next month:pac: Another man with a book coming out for the Christmas market....

Twas like a speel (sp) I'd hear at election time.... Still none the wiser... We'll played :-D

Twas like a speel (sp) I'd hear at election time.... Still none the wiser... We'll played :-D

I gave a predicted time to the minute - what more do ye want? :D

• Advertisement

Monday 13th
    8.33 miles @ 8:14

Tuesday 14th
    7.39 @ 8.16
    Must keep an eye on easy pace as the mileage decreases

Wednesday 15th
    10.05 @ 7.29
    Plan was 10 miles with 8 at mp and the last session of substance in the plan.
    Did this in Limerick on the way home from work. Extended a previously run loop which is level & has only a couple of road crossings. Splits were 7:57, 7:25, 7:17, 7:21, 7:27, 7:19, 7:22, 7:16, 7:18, 8:12.

Thursday 16th
    4.13 @ 10.13 - recovery run in the morning.
    Had a sports massage - not too vigorous as I explained to the physio that I'm a delicate creature ;)

Friday - rest
    Calf muscles were twitching like mad at night & even got a cramp - hope this was as a result of the massage or is a sign that the muscles are repairing themselves.

Saturday 18th
    6.07 @ 8.40
    Felt sluggish on this run. As my run on Thursday was done early it meant that I hadn't run in over 48 hours :eek: tbh it felt like a week. After a mile or so my right hip felt tight but didnt get any worse or better. Could also feel the right ankle a bit which is the one that was injured at the start of the year :( Put a bit of anti inflammatory gel on the ankle just in case. Hopefully these things are just a bit of taper madness.

Sunday 19th
    9.74 @ 8.32
    Plan said 12 easy but I was happy enough to get near 10 done. As I didn't fancy my own company I joined a few from the club for this run. Went fine and none of the previous days niggles surfaced :)

Miles for the week = 45

So into the home stretch now and just try & keep it between the ditches for the week. Have another rub down tomorrow & have 5 mile run midweek with 3 @ mp. Will probably do about 20/25 miles during the week - all very easy.

Delicate creature.... LOL :D

Going well the J, seems like things are falling into place. What anti inflammatory gel are you using out of curiosity and do you find it good. I used one for a bit last year and I'd be as well off putting hair gel on it :D

Those little niggly twinges always surface for me while tapering. I wouldn't worry to much unless it becomes obviously painful or getting worse.

You're fond of your rub downs aren't ya :D

Oh, is there many 2013 graduates going to mcgrattans??? Just wondering as the first person I met last year was Bulmers74. The craic was mighty and it was so much fun I lost track of time with all his awesomeness :) I hope the other 2013 graduates are half as entertaining :D:D Would be good to catch up with a few of ye...

Delicate creature.... LOL :D

Going well the J, seems like things are falling into place. What anti inflammatory gel are you using out of curiosity and do you find it good. I used one for a bit last year and I'd be as well off putting hair gel on it :D

Those little niggly twinges always surface for me while tapering. I wouldn't worry to much unless it becomes obviously painful or getting worse.

You're fond of your rub downs aren't ya :D

Yeah happy enough with the way things went since Athlone but the 27th will tell the ultimate tale.

Etoflam is the gel - I only used it once or twice & don't really know how effective it is/was. It did cost €22 for a tube whether that's an indication of how good it is I'm not sure.

On the rub downs can't say I enjoy them but maybe it's the pain that you enjoy ;)

Just wondering as Bulmers74 was the *only* one I met last year.

Sorry I was such a let down :D

Etoflam... Thats the stuff, did nothing for me at all, total let down.. Hopefully you find it better, if not, get back to me...
    And quote me correctly :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Oh, is there many 2013 graduates going to mcgrattans??? Just wondering as the first person I met last year was Bulmers74. The craic was mighty and it was so much fun I lost track of time with all his awesomeness :) I hope the other 2013 graduates are half as entertaining :D:D Would be good to catch up with a few of ye...

very unlikely I will make it to mcgrattans, need to go someplace suitable for a 5month old and I don't think he would appreciate the crowds of mcgrattans... the joys. enjoy the few pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    very unlikely I will make it to mcgrattans, need to go someplace suitable for a 5month old and I don't think he would appreciate the crowds of mcgrattans... the joys. enjoy the few pints

he might fit in with some of the characters that will be there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Yep - I'll be there from 1 hopefully! I'll have a 9 month old, if it's any consolation. See you there.
    MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I'll make an appearance but it probably won't be until mid afternoon as my dad is looking to finish his first marathon in 5 hours.

Advertisement