Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Fantastic work dcorcaigh ! Anyone that gets up at 4.15 am to run before work deserves that PB. I can't believe your fastest mile was your last one, bet that time will tumble again next year! And thanks for the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Running wise 2014 started off on a downer for me as I was injured and only managed about 10 miles in total over January & February. I had intended on doing the Limerick marathon in May but the injury put paid to that plan. Got back to it gradually in March with mostly easy running. I entered a few shorter races (mainly 10k’s) over the next few months to monitor how the fitness was coming along. I also did Limerick HM (1:38:30) in May which was over 5 mins outside my pb. The culmination of my injury rehab was a 41:22 10k in Dundrum in early July which was a 90 second pb. At this time I had already planned to do DCM and had decided to follow the plan meno (thanks meno) had drawn up for the 2012 graduates. I had planned on doing the prescribed sessions in the plan and maybe do some higher mileage. Also as a novice last year I was barely hanging in the last 4 miles of DCM & felt I had to work on my endurance. Off the back of my 10k time Mcmillan was indicating 3:14. I decided to go with a goal of sub 3:20 as Mcmillan is a bit off for relative newbies imo.

I had some up & downs during the 18 weeks with most of the ups coming in the last 7 weeks. I learned a couple of important lessons about my own training which I can bring forward to the next cycle. A couple of the most important lessons for me were that if I’m to lose weight during a cycle it has to happen naturally & linked to that is I have to fuel properly the day before a hard session. I did 2 HM during the block & neither went well. In Clonmel I hit 10 miles in 70 mins then died on my arse leaking time over the remaining miles to just scrape in under 1:35. Athlone was worse coming home in 1:43 which included a half mile walk on a hot day. After that performance I was questioning my participation in DCM. The day after Athlone I did a local 10 k in 42:xx in which I did the last full mile in 6 minutes even and the quarter mile at the end at 5.16 pace and wondered wtf was going on. After that the whole fuelling issue clicked with me and had no real problems afterwards. Although I had no real HM time to work off I was still sticking to my original target. In the last few long mp sessions I was averaging 7.20ish pace which would be 3:15 territory but I wasn’t getting carried away. I did the 30k race in early October as a progression run & I was happy with the way things went. For the 18 weeks I averaged 60 miles and maxed at 85 miles with a total of 9 20+ mile runs. One of the most enjoyable aspects of the block was meeting up with a few different people for runs from time to time – most notably TbL, Martyboy & my new club mate MiketheMechanic.

Taper went ok until the last week when I got a worrying familiar ache in my ankle which was the injury that had kept me out of action at the beginning of the year. I went to the physio and he did some work on the post tib tendon but the pain was still there even on race morning! On the Wednesday before the race I was awake at 4 a.m. distraught, convinced I wouldn’t make the start line. All in all it was a fraught few days. After a 2 mile run with 1 at mp on Saturday I decided I’d take my chances. I ended up doing more or less everything the same as last year. Got the same train, stayed in the same hotel, ate in the same restaurant & even ordered the same grub! Did the expo, didn’t hang around too long, met a few people I knew & headed back to the hotel. One big change this year was I wouldn’t have any family support on the route as it didn’t suit them to travel which was a bit of a bummer. Slept well which was a surprise and was up at 5 for the breakfast. Ate a couple of portions of Kilmacthomas’s finest porridge, couple of bagels, a banana and washed it down with a bottle of water with 2 electrolytes. After that feed the other important bodily function of the morning was almost guaranteed and true to form crest offload ;) was duly completed. The last thing I did was wrote my kids names on my hand and put on the wedding ring! I don’t normally wear the ring as it’s too big for me since I lost the weight so I wore it on my thumb. Left the hotel at 7.45 & dawdled down to the start. The plan was fairly simple - try and stay with the 3:20 pacers and assess if I was in any position to push on after 15 & 22 miles. This made race pace about 7:35. Made my way up to the pacers and said hi to Chris who was one of the guys pacing the group. I’d met him a few weeks earlier at the Human Race and wished him well.

Mile 1 - 7 7:51, 7:29, 7:33, 7:43, 7:38, 7:29, 7:33

After not to long a wait we were off. A bit of congestion at the first corner but nothing too much. First couple of miles were all about staying alert and concentrating in the crowd. Once we got on to the quays there was plenty of room. Before I knew it we were at the park and the drag up here had been discussed a lot in the weeks preceding the race on the forum. I’d decided I wasn’t going to kill myself up along here as it usually takes me 6 or 7 miles to feel comfortable at race pace. Lost a bit of ground on the pacers here but I wasn’t panicking. I’m never one to be right on the pacers shoulder as I prefer to avoid the congestion. Up past the zoo we began to lose the shelter of the hollow and we got the full force of the southerly cross/head wind. At this point I made my way over to the right hand side of the road & took shelter as best I could in the group I was in. Once we went out the Castleknock gate we were a bit more sheltered but the drag continued. Passed over the 10k mat but don’t know the split as it didn’t seem to register for me. Fantastic support in Castleknock and the great memories from last year came flooding back to me.

Mile 8 - 15 7:11 7:16 7:25 7:39 7:38 7:41 7:37 7:28

Once we took the left in Castleknock we hit a couple of fast miles. I took a planned gel here and also managed to get an electrolyte into a bottle of water to sip on. I loved the free wheel mile down to the Chapelizod Gate as in the few sessions I’d done in the park I was always going in the opposite direction - uphill. Going through Chapelizod the support was immense as it was last year. Think I remember hitting the 10 mile marker just short of 76 minutes. Missed a bottle at the water stop near Kilmainham as it caught me unawares but I wasn’t overly worried. Going through Kilmainham there was a fancy dress/music party in full swing. Was getting a great buzz from the crowd here but had to be careful not to get overly enthusiastic with my pace as a result. Shortly afterwards someone in the crowd was shouting my name. There were a few people I knew with family running there and ‘twas great to hear the personal support. Also I must say having the club name on the vest was great for getting a shout from the crowd all the way round. Support in Dolphins Barn was great again. I hit half way in a split of 1:39:51 which was spot on. I was in amongst the pacing group proper now even though I hadn’t made a conscious decision to get there. I missed the water here again & only managed to grab a bottle of Lucozade. I took a slug but the sweetness of it didn’t appeal to me so I ditched it. In fairness to girl running beside me, she shared her water with me here. I saw 1 or 2 people pulled up on the footpath here with some in distressed state. Again the wind was a factor here but at least I didn’t get caught on the outside to face it as I did last year and as in the Park took as much shelter as possible from my fellow competitors.

Mile 16 - 22 7:28 7:34 7:25 7:23 7:31 7:28 7:35

Got a full water bottle at the 16 mile marker and successfully dispatched my last electrolyte in to it. The sun was making an appearance now and it was beginning to heat up. At KCR got a great shout out from a club mate. I don’t know his name or he didn’t know mine but he was roaring his head off at me and it gave me a boost. By the time we got to the sharp left turn going down the Templeogue Road the sun was right in our faces and now there was no breeze. Around here I had eased past the pacers although not intentionally. Although I was beginning to count down the miles I felt it was too early to press on as the heat was becoming a real factor. By the time I got to Milltown there was one pacer in front of me and I was feeling ok. The 22nd mile which is the one through Clonskeagh & ending in Roebuck Hill was where it became apparent that the heat was becoming a real factor for many people. As that mile wore on it was like the land of the walking dead. Although I was seeing this it didn’t seem to really register with me until well after the race. So finally got to Roebuck Hill and took it maintaining pace. The crowd here again were mighty and make this stretch bearable.

Mile 23 - 26.2 7:29, 7:32, 7:30, 7:13 & 6:38 (.41)

As with last year when I got to Fosters Ave there was that familiar sensation of small darting shots of pain in the calves but from here to the finish it never got any worse unlike 2013. Kinda took a breather here & free wheeled a bit in preparation for the final push for the line. Got to Stillorgan Road and I was happy to just maintain 7:30 pace for a while as I was a bit wary of cramp. Turned right down Nutely Lane and was still maintaining pace. I have no memory of this section or Merrion Road from last year. Lots of people cut the corner turning on to Merrion Road which I was disappointed to see but maybe due to tiredness in some cases they were just following the runner in front of them. Got out onto Merrion Road and was suddenly hit by a b*tch of a headwind. Forgot about it for a while when I heard the unmistakable bellow of Mr Stew or as I call him Joe Stew. If there was ever a man that doesn’t need a bull horn it’s him. I gave him a big roar and a fist pump and I could feel the adrenaline beginning to flow. Again met my unknown named club mate near here and we high fived. In Ballsbridge I passed a school mate who I hadn’t seen in over 20 years (who I since friended on FB :) ) and then passing Sean Hehir out supporting. I said alright Sean and he gave me a nod. By the time I got to Shelbourne Road the crowd was starting to build but I also saw a number of people that appeared to be in a really bad way. Got to Haddington Road and I was feeling pumped and was beginning to wind up. Took the right turn on to the long straight which said 800 metres to go. The crowd was building every step of this last half mile and I could feel their support. About 400 from home I let a roar outta me - it was like all the emotion I had inside in that moment just came out. Sprinted for the line stopping the watch in 3:18:07 - pure elation.

Got to the bag area and made a couple of tearful phone calls to the supporters at home. Got changed and headed for the hotel for a stretch, bath & shower. I was checking the tracker for a few results and noticed one friend of mine had passed 30k bang on target but no sign of him finishing. I sent him a text with no reply. It later transpired he made it into the last mile & the conditions got the better of him and he ended up for 6 or 7 hours in Vincents. I really was gutted for him. Made it back to McGrattans and met more Boardsies than you good shake a stick at & a great night ensued.

Learned/confirmed a couple of things as a result of the day.

1. I fcuking love this race - it will always be special to me I reckon. Although I haven’t yet ran this distance anywhere else I think DCM will always be the benchmark.
    2. You need the rub of the green - taking 2 electrolytes with breakfast wasn’t planned and just happened out of luck. Also if there were 3:15 pacers on the day I reckon I would’ve suffered like many others.
    3. Racing can be cruel or rewarding on any given day.

Where to next? Well i know there’s 3 minutes 8 seconds screaming to be taken off that pb!!!! Limerick in May anyone???

I enjoyed that! Fair play you suffered in Athlone and made up for it on Monday. Inspirational read. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Ohh, look at me and my mate Sean Hehir :D:D

Great report J, As I said, you seemed to click at just the right time, like a good Kerry team :) I'm just glad you didn't see me when you whizzed past, wasn't pretty :D

So glad this went your way though, it was due for all the hard work you put in.
    I don't think I have the same ability or talent as you, but the one thing I think you should do to improve things for you is.........
    Start a feckin log FFS :D, I'm sick of tellin ya :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

martyboy48 wrote: »
    As I said, you seemed to click at just the right time, like a good Kerry team :)

Jesus a new low!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Savage run Bulmers. I remember discussing staying with 3:20 pacers with you last week ......I went for the 3:15 version and it wasn't a pretty ending!!
    U need to start a log man.....if I knew the milage you had been putting in I might have listented to sense!! 60 average 85 max 9 x20 plus thats outa my league !! Whatever plan u were following it definitely wasn't the meno light version for lazy fcukers like me. Well done again , id say if you pick a right one sub 3:10 is well within reach.

Great report J, As I said, you seemed to click at just the right time, like a good Kerry team :) I'm just glad you didn't see me when you whizzed past, wasn't pretty :D

So glad this went your way though, it was due for all the hard work you put in.
    I don't think I have the same ability or talent as you, but the one thing I think you should do to improve things for you is.........
    Start a feckin log FFS :D, I'm sick of tellin ya :D:D

Pity he did nt give you a clip around the ear when he past.... Like a good Kerry team... You had to mention it.

lol :D
    I don't think I have the same ability or talent as you :rolleyes:

FYP

tomred1N wrote: »
    Savage run Bulmers. I remember discussing staying with 3:20 pacers with you last week ......I went for the 3:15 version and it wasn't a pretty ending!!

Alright Tom. Although the wheels came off a bit at the end of your race the HTFU you showed to latch on to the 3:20 train in the last 1.5 miles deserves serious credit - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

@Bulmer, great run J. I knew those miles would pay off for you. You were very strong coming towards the end of your cycle. I'd say that run was a sub 3.15 on a "normal" day.

I'll be in touch :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Whoo hooo, hold on there folks, that whole Kerry thing was a pure compliment to the man, and not a low dig at at any other poor soul who suffered at their sheer class.. Seriously, how could a Galwayman do that :)
    @Bulmer, great run J. I knew those miles would pay off for you. You were very strong coming towards the end of your cycle. I'd say that run was a sub 3.15 on a "normal" day.

On a serious note, agree totally, I'd add "at least" to it also..

I'll be in touch :)

Dont make me puke :D

TbL

So J, have you decided on a title for your log yet, SfM reckons it will reference your age or something, where I think it will have some reference to your "meet ups".... Ososlo is running a book on it by the way :D

So J, have you decided on a title for your log yet, SfM reckons it will reference your age or something, where I think it will have some reference to your "meet ups".... Ososlo is running a book on it by the way :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057319580

Advertisement