Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I don't have a garmin or any fancy running watch, I would like one but I hate reading instructions! Basically I want a simple device, can anyone advise me ?

I have the Garmin forerunner 10, it couldn't be simpler if you decide to go down the watch route. Cost €130 but you might get it cheaper now. I found my phone was dying using the apps on long runs. Watch lasted the whole 5hours it took to run the marathon:D Plus it comes in pretty colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ok guys and gals,

I want to get an idea of when people are racing in the coming weeks/months and see if there is any commonality for putting a plan together.

So similar to last years sheet, I've put in an "Upcoming Races" section in your tracker speadsheet. (I don't like tables in threads! ;))

If you have an upcoming race pop it in here,along with target . Then we can see where we are.

Even if you are not interested in having a plan put together still pop in your race as it is good for tracking progress and even for meet ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Never mind - all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I have the Garmin forerunner 10, it couldn't be simpler if you decide to go down the watch route. Cost €130 but you might get it cheaper now. I found my phone was dying using the apps on long runs. Watch lasted the whole 5hours it took to run the marathon:D Plus it comes in pretty colours!

Thanks for that shortstuff, I think I saw that watch advertised cheaper recently, will look into it. The x mas list is getting longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

Going to have a bash at the jingle bells 5k next month,it's a week after I finish my 4 week marathon recovery programme so it falls nicely.it'll be around 6 months at that stage sine my last 5k race,PB would be nice but I won't be bothered at all if I don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Am I the only one who hasnt gone for a proper run yet? My left foot isnt a 100% but think I'll go for a 3m run tonight. I did join the local womens running group for circuit training last night which I really enjoyed. Lots of running drills (foot was ok if a little weak when turning) and strenght training which I could really do with. They are doing a 5k race Saturday, is that too soon after DCM?

They are doing a 5k race Saturday, is that too soon after DCM?

Too soon after DCM for me. But others may think different.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

Am I the only one who hasnt gone for a proper run yet? My left foot isnt a 100% but think I'll go for a 3m run tonight. I did join the local womens running group for circuit training last night which I really enjoyed. Lots of running drills (foot was ok if a little weak when turning) and strenght training which I could really do with. They are doing a 5k race Saturday, is that too soon after DCM?

i havent run yet-going to do 2 miles sat-knee is tad sore still!
    debating joining a running club-have the fear of being very intimidated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

where in Dublin are you?

dublin 7!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

cnlbel wrote: »
    i havent run yet-going to do 2 miles sat-knee is tad sore still!

most people feel that way the first time they go down to a club. the fear goes away very quickly. do it. the majority of people in my club at any given session would be on the slower side. the faster, scary minority go off and do their own session. you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

I joined my local club and it was one of the best things i could have done and i am by no means a fast runner!! The first time i went to a session i stayed in my car for ages fighting with my head to either get out or go home, eventfully i made the wise decision to just get out of the car. everyone was super encouraging when i first started, i started in the 10min/mile group and now i am in the 8min/mile group. I would recommend you go and join a club. Its good to be able to talk to like minded people and its also a reason to go out running on the not so nice nights during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dublin 7!

pretty close to Donore Harriers, Liffey Valley, Civil Service Harriers, and Metro St Brigids - you're spoiled for choice

i know-its silly not to when they are right on my doorstep! right need to pull the finger out and do it!

Only 300 places left for Dungarvan 10 at the end of January. So those interested get in before it sells out!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anyone on here who is in any way reluctant to join a club - don't be! People join clubs from a base of 0 miles - everyone on here has some level of running base so just go for it. Great for company and comradery on race day etc.. You'll probably find that you need to move up a level from the starters if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

@cnlbel - I couldn't recommend joining a running club enough. I am far from a fast runner or a running purist or anything but I joined one, I too was apprehensive but have found it great, it would seem that all clubs have a varied groups of ability and you will fit into one of them. I found the club great in order to push myself on runs where I would otherwise take it easy on myself and the company on long runs was invaluable. It took a month or two to settle right in but it has been great - make the leap!

I have not run since DCM either, have a slight injury which I have been to the physio about and that is healing at the moment - The physio said it was just a repetitive strain injury caused by the marathon and nothing to worry about. She really put into perspective the actual achievement completing a marathon is - when she spoke very factually about the work the body must do to get your around the 26.2 miles I was quite smug in myself knowing I had done that!

I have enjoyed the rest since the DCM but am now getting a bit antsy to get out running again. So once this injury has healed (a week or so) I will be back out again!

I am hoping to run the Clonakilty half marathon on the 6th December so I will really only have 2-3 weeks to prepare for it. I assume that I will have no problem going straight into doing a 10mile long run in training over the next week or two?

really great to hear such positive things about joining a club. i think joining one will really help me. looking into the civil service harriers in Phoenix park-bring on Tuesday at 7! :)

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    I assume that I will have no problem going straight into doing a 10mile long run in training over the next week or two?

10 mile LSR will be fine next weekend, maybe try get in a easy 4-5 before that just to the the legs moving again. If you still have the injury though hold off a bit. Make sure you are more or less right before you get back to it.

How are the picking of next race targets going? The upcoming race document looks a bit quiet. I was looking at starting a plan on either the 18th or 25th but if I don't know what the end game is it's hard to put together! :)

I can put a couple of different ones together if the race distances are different for some of you but main thing is that the goals would be in around the same time. Ideally you would want a good 6-8 week block after your December races so you can take a good stab at the next one after that...(End January ish let's say)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

blockic wrote: »
    Only 300 places left for Dungarvan 10 at the end of January. So those interested get in before it sells out!

Cheers - didn't realise it was so close to selling out. Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

After an extended hiatus due to a lingering cough/chest infection, I got back on the roads today. Funny how I felt my legs were back to 100% but there was still a few niggles and a noticeable tightness in my calves (my worst effected area post DCM). Hopefully these short slow runs will shake any further soreness.

In other news I was offered a job today that'll see me move from west coast to east coast (Waterford). Starting on the 18th so I may take in the (very popular around these parts) Stook 10 milers on the way down. Depends on how fresh my legs get over the coming week with regards racing. Will also be looking to join a club after christmas. Waterford AC the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Went out for a run yesterday, first proper one since the marathon. Plenty of strrtching before, only did 4miles and my legs felt great at the start and it was good to be out.

But today my legs are knackered, and some slight pain around my groin area. No injuries suffered at DCM, so it must just still be muscle fatigue? Im so frustrated now though, I thought Id be fine to get back out on the roads.

Really hope I havent picked up an injury!!

Starting to think that the 26 days rest rule may actually make sense...to me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

haven't gone back out yet myself as i have this ridiculously elevated resting heart rate. i know it is natural for it to be a bit high after the marathon but this is just too high and i have this lingering throat thing since about 12 October. hr was a bit elevated since then too. need to be really careful about easing back into it. might try a few easy miles over weekend. really looking forward to getting back properly...
    got a whopping 1,500 euro for the charity pieta house!!! happier about that than about my poor finishing time :)

rob w wrote: »
    Starting to think that the 26 days rest rule may actually make sense...to me anyway!

26 days easy rather than complete rest is the rule of thumb. It doesn't mean to take 26 days off. ;) However, any lingering injuries the advise would be to rest and get back when ready. Plenty time with no big goals on the horizon...yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

10 mile LSR will be fine next weekend, maybe try get in a easy 4-5 before that just to the the legs moving again. If you still have the injury though hold off a bit. Make sure you are more or less right before you get back to it.

How are the picking of next race targets going? The upcoming race document looks a bit quiet. I was looking at starting a plan on either the 18th or 25th but if I don't know what the end game is it's hard to put together! :)

I can put a couple of different ones together if the race distances are different for some of you but main thing is that the goals would be in around the same time. Ideally you would want a good 6-8 week block after your December races so you can take a good stab at the next one after that...(End January ish let's say)

Thanks Blockic - I'm just getting that usual fear - "Oh my god, I havent run in almost two weeks, I bet I have lost all fitness and wont be able to run anymore" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

After an extended hiatus due to a lingering cough/chest infection, I got back on the roads today. Funny how I felt my legs were back to 100% but there was still a few niggles and a noticeable tightness in my calves (my worst effected area post DCM). Hopefully these short slow runs will shake any further soreness.

In other news I was offered a job today that'll see me move from west coast to east coast (Waterford). Starting on the 18th so I may take in the (very popular around these parts) Stook 10 milers on the way down. Depends on how fresh my legs get over the coming week with regards racing. Will also be looking to join a club after christmas. Waterford AC the best option?

Well done on the Job ,great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

I'm in:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

I'd be all on for an 8 week plan after Waterford half but I'm going to be out of action for 3-4 weeks in December (depending on recovery after op). All going well might need some sort of plan in January prior to Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Went out this week for a few 5 & 8k runs , feeling great and fast ! Funny the speed I've found now that DCM is over ...
    Managed to knock off 32 secs on my 5k PB this morning , so a great excuse to eat cake to celebrate :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Great to see the graduates thread so active. I'd been taking it easy myself due to a crazy month with work. Finally got out for my first post DCM run this afternoon. Just did a 5k but really, really enjoyed it - probably more so as I was wearing my DCM top :D

Have been mulling over doing a marathon next April ... going to take my time with that decision and try to just get out there and enjoy keeping the fitness levels up between now and end of December. Only race I'm looking to sign up to for now is the 10k RNLI Reindeer Run on 1st December.

Advertisement