Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

went out for a 30-60 minute run this morning,the plan was to do 4 miles but i was enjoying it so much i stayed out for 6.5 miles.wanted to keep going but thought it best to call it a day.
    first week of post marathon running under the belt,great to get back out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Threw up 2 upcoming races in the log there, a 5km and a 10km. Wasn't sure if all races go up there but threw them up for good measure anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

went for my first run since DCM-it was awful-you'd think id never run before in my life! only 2 miles done-was more about getting the first run done so not too disheartened-need to get a few more short runs in this week now to get back into the swing of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I got out running 4 times this week and really enjoyed it, however I managed to fall hard on my knee yesterday while chasing my smallest fella who was attempting to prove he could move as fast as the other 2, unfortunately this burst of speed hit him too near a busy road for comfort hence I gave chase and slipped on leaves! My knee is all cut, and sore to bend so I could nt run today. My pride was also damaged. Children should come with a health warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I was pretty stiff for a couple of days after the marathon, as to be expected, on the Friday I flew over to New York to see my husband who's working there at the minute... I think all the walking around the city hurt more than the 26.2 miles!! (or maybe it was the cumulative effect ;)) but either way I was in no mood to run in the 2 weeks since DCM

However, two friends of mine who came out to cheer me on during the marathon seem to have been bitten by the running bug, and asked me to do the remembrance run with them this morning. What a beautiful morning for it, and we had all lost loved ones in recent years, so it felt like a great way to remember them.

The benefits of doing 5K after 42(ish)K was that it felt so comfortable, although I had planned on taking it easy am now thinking about signing up for the run in the dark 10K this wednesday! Are any other 2013 DCM novices signed up for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Also had my first run today, 3miles done without looking at the watch, closer to "planned" MP than easy, oops;) Was great to be out running again. Bit worried about my foot, I'll have another try with it tomorrrow and get a physio appointment if it's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

I still haven't had a run since DCM because of a lingering foot injury. I'm getting quite anxious to get out for a run now.

Wanted to do Clonakilty half on the 6th December. I should still be ok for it but want to get out this week at some stage to get the legs moving

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

First run tonight since DCM, did a 6k at a reasonable pace. Legs ok, felt a bit "heavy" which is to be expected I suppose, but my knee pain came up a bit. It did settle down a bit after a few k, but thought the two weeks of rest might have solved it completely. Obviously not!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Missed the start of this thread, good to see all the other DCM graduates back again.

Haven't run yet properly since the DCM but decided to run to football training last week instead of driving to get a small run in. Not the best idea, as the run home wasn't as easy as getting there. Quads slowly recovering but not there yet.

May do the Stephen's Day 10km as I have done so the last 2 years but it will probably my last road race for 2013.

As for next year, tempted by the Connemara marathon just for the extra challenge plus landscape but will have a think about it over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I see that some of you are now starting to get out again after DCM which is good. While it is very beneficial to take a bit of rest after it, one should not leave it too long before getting back out regularly again, so time to get back on that horse! (apart from those injured of course)

I was going to start a generic enough plan next Monday to get us up to the new year but it seems it is a bit early for you all yet. I will hold off another week or so.

Over the next two weeks if you can try get out 3-4 times a week easy and get back into a regular routine. These can even be only 4-5 mile recovery runs (slow - very slow). If you were up to 25 miles a week in 2 weeks time it would be ideal. Pace or type of runs not a concern at this point.

Recovery runs are great for accelerating recovery by increasing blood flow to the damaged muscles and often you will get life back in the legs this way faster than sitting around on the couch, like I am doing currently ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

blockic wrote: »

Over the next two weeks if you can try get out 3-4 times a week easy and get back into a regular routine. These can even be only 4-5 mile recovery runs (slow - very slow). If you were up to 25 miles a week in 2 weeks time it would be ideal. Pace or type of runs not a concern at this point.

That's exactly where I'm hoping to be,up to 20-25 miles by the end of this month,running 4 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Still injured :( back with Physio tonight.

Very anxious to get back out now as I am replacing running with eating kebabs

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

i am doing the run in the dark tonight in Cork, it will be my longest run since DCM, I am not expecting much timewise from the run but it will be good to get back into a race buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Did my first real interval session tonight in the wind & rain. Found it tough I have to say. Last weeks session was 3 x mile at mp which was ok. The plan called for 3 x mile at 10k pace which is about 6.55 for me. Took about 2 minutes recovery jog after 1st & 2nd pace miles.

2 w/u 9.44, 9.00
    3 pace 6.44, 6.59, 6.45
    2 w/d 8.57, 9.00

Next weeks session calls for 3 x mile at 5k pace:eek: Think the Hal higdon recovery plan is set up more with a 5 or 10k race in mind rather than a half - what do others think? Should I do the 3 x mile 5k pace session next week or something else more suitable towards a half on the 1st of December?

Could someone throw up a page on the spreadsheet for this weeks mileage? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Did my first real interval session tonight in the wind & rain. Found it tough I have to say. Last weeks session was 3 x mile at mp which was ok. The plan called for 3 x mile at 10k pace which is about 6.55 for me. Took about 2 minutes recovery jog after 1st & 2nd pace miles.

2 w/u 9.44, 9.00
    3 pace 6.44, 6.59, 6.45
    2 w/d 8.57, 9.00

Next weeks session calls for 3 x mile at 5k pace:eek: Think the Hal higdon recovery plan is set up more with a 5 or 10k race in mind rather than a half - what do others think? Should I do the 3 x mile 5k pace session next week or something else more suitable towards a half on the 1st of December?

Could someone throw up a page on the spreadsheet for this weeks mileage? cheers

Are you taking recovery between miles or doing them continuously?

I'd advise to abandon the sessions in the HH Intermediate recovery plan, it thought you were doing the Novice one! :eek: Those sessions are too tough for 2 weeks after a marathon for a first time marathoner IMO.

The ideal session to do next week is normally 11 with 7 @ HMP, but this is normally done after building up over a number of weeks.

I would suggest 2 + 2 + 1 @ HMP with 3 min recovery jogs in between and a mile warm up and cool down. At this day next week the recovery is almost complete marathon wise so it would be ok to do the session i think. Definitely advise getting some Half Marathon miles in the legs.

The step up from the HH Novice plan to the HH Intermediate plan is huge. I'd avoid the tempo on the Saturdays so and replace with 5 easy instead, you have plenty training in the legs for the HM and that plan could have you over cooked.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you taking recovery between miles or doing them continuously?

Did 2 minutes recovery jog after 1st & 2nd pace mile - paused the garmin for these recovery jogs so this is not included in the splits

I'd advise to abandon the sessions in the HH Intermediate recovery plan, it thought you were doing the Novice one! :eek: Those sessions are too tough for 2 weeks after a marathon for a first time marathoner IMO.

The ideal session to do next week is normally 11 with 7 @ HMP, but this is normally done after building up over a number of weeks.

I would suggest 2 + 2 + 1 @ HMP with 3 min recovery jogs in between and a mile warm up and cool down. At this day next week the recovery is almost complete marathon wise so it would be ok to do the session i think. Definitely advise getting some Half Marathon miles in the legs.

The step up from the HH Novice plan to the HH Intermediate plan is huge. I'd avoid the tempo on the Saturdays so and replace with 5 easy instead, you have plenty training in the legs for the HM and that plan could have you over cooked.

Thanks for that - glad I posted now!

Did 2 minutes recovery jog after 1st & 2nd pace mile - paused the garmin for these recovery jogs so this is not included in the splits

Keep the garmin going for these recoveries but just use the lap button to seperate the sections in the session.

so much for me not getting a fast time at the 10k runinthedark last night!! Even with all the turns and constant manoeuvring around walkers i got a PB by 2mins 25secs :eek:, did it in 49:18.

• Advertisement

Keep the garmin going for these recoveries but just use the lap button to seperate the sections in the session.

Can this be done with the Forerunner 10? If it can't, it'll save me trying. If it can I hope the instructions are suitable for technophobes & are in ladybird English :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I see that some of you are now starting to get out again after DCM which is good. While it is very beneficial to take a bit of rest after it, one should not leave it too long before getting back out regularly again, so time to get back on that horse! (apart from those injured of course)

I was going to start a generic enough plan next Monday to get us up to the new year but it seems it is a bit early for you all yet. I will hold off another week or so.

Recovery runs are great for accelerating recovery by increasing blood flow to the damaged muscles and often you will get life back in the legs this way faster than sitting around on the couch, like I am doing currently ;)

Thank you! I'm now hoping I didn't go back to soon. I did ten (not including the marathon!) on marathon week, and 28 last week. I feel ok - no injuries etc - but I did a park run last Saturday, and though I was trying pretty hard, I was still a minute slower than my PB. Maybe I'm still tired?

Anyway, I'm going away Friday to Monday and I was considering - though it will be a wrench :) - not bringing my runners. would three full days off at this stage be beneficial do you think?

Also, thanks for doing a plan for us.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Thank you! I'm now hoping I didn't go back to soon. I did ten (not including the marathon!) on marathon week, and 28 last week. I feel ok - no injuries etc - but I did a park run last Saturday, and though I was trying pretty hard, I was still a minute slower than my PB. Maybe I'm still tired?

Anyway, I'm going away Friday to Monday and I was considering - though it will be a wrench :) - not bringing my runners. would three full days off at this stage be beneficial do you think?

Also, thanks for doing a plan for us.

Tiredness could still be a factor no doubt, take KielyUnusual for example, it took him a good few weeks to get fully over London last year and meno felt similar from what I recall.

I think taking the 3 days off will do you no harm at all. Will probably be the last chance for a while! ;) (We'll all be running Christmas Day right?! :D) Then build up to 25-30 miles a week by the 1st December, I'll start the plan on the 2nd then I think..It will be flexible and fairly easy to work around to suit each of your needs..

Can this be done with the Forerunner 10? If it can't, it'll save me trying. If it can I hope the instructions are suitable for technophobes & are in ladybird English :)

Yep, should be able to do it. Set up Auto-Lap on the Garmin for every mile and it will beep automatically. Then after the 3 min recoveries press lap and it will reset and measure your next mile again without pausing the overall time on feet.

Think CM has one of those so she might be able to guide you!

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    so much for me not getting a fast time at the 10k runinthedark last night!! Even with all the turns and constant manoeuvring around walkers i got a PB by 2mins 25secs :eek:, did it in 49:18.

Nice one dcorcaigh, all on the back of marathon training, if you had a clearer path with no laps you would have likely took more off it. What's next up for you?

Nice one dcorcaigh, all on the back of marathon training, if you had a clearer path with no laps you would have likely took more off it. What's next up for you?
    i did it in cork so it was 4 laps, which meant loads of turns!! i couldnt believe how much life i had in the legs, all that marathon training obviously stood to me :D

i dont have much planned race wise, i have a 6k on Stephens day with the club and then its the Dungarvan 10mile in Jan. I decided against the waterford half as i didnt want to go straight into a training program after DCM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Is anyone else doing Run the Line on 30 Nov? I'm doing the short course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

The spreadsheet is very messed up :eek: Some people seem to have taken their names off or something. I'll have to sort it out later

@ Bulmers the bottom left hand button on the forerunner10 is the lap button. You might have to go into run options - lap key - turn on before you can use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

These people haven't updated the spreadsheet for ages so I'm going to remove them if that's ok: ahnowbrowncow, DULLAHAN2, formosa, limoncella, Nikki2510, overthebridge, Truedat, tommycahir, runwithme, macadam, donking, Roddylarge

EDIT: Spreadsheet is good to go :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

unlike others who have newfound levels of fitness since dcm, i have the opposite issue. I've been out 3 times since dcm and have lost over 2 mins per mile from my easy aerobic pace (sub 75% of max hr). getting this looked into currently as somethings not right. legs feel super but the rest of the body won't cooperate. have suspicions about what's going on but not ready to nail my colours to the mast quite yet. too depressing a thought :(

Advertisement