Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Ososlo wrote: »
    unlike others who have newfound levels of fitness since dcm, i have the opposite issue. I've been out 3 times since dcm and have lost over 2 mins per mile from my easy aerobic pace (sub 75% of max hr). getting this looked into currently as somethings not right. legs feel super but the rest of the body won't cooperate. have suspicions about what's going on but not ready to nail my colours to the mast quite yet. too depressing a thought :(

Not medical advice, and I'm sure you know this already, but have you had your bloods done? I know a lot of runners, especially women, who have suffered from low iron, which makes them tired, slower, out of breath, etc. Hope it's something that simple for you too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Not medical advice, and I'm sure you know this already, but have you had your bloods done? I know a lot of runners, especially women, who have suffered from low iron, which makes them tired, slower, out of breath, etc. Hope it's something that simple for you too!

thanks.. all fine with bloods prior to dcm but am getting them done again soon to see if any changes post dcm. will be over the moon if it's something simple like that but other stuff going on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

thanks.. all fine with bloods prior to dcm but am getting them done again soon to see if any changes post dcm. will be over the moon if it's something simple like that but other stuff going on too.

Best of luck with that Ososlo. Hope it all works out for you soon

kit3 wrote: »
    Best of luck with that Ososlo. Hope it all works out for you soon
    thanks kit. Very frustrating watching one's fitness fall apart after so much hard work. Hopefully only temporarily. Hope your own running is going well post DCM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

thanks kit. Very frustrating watching one's fitness fall apart after so much hard work. Hopefully only temporarily. Hope your own running is going well post DCM :)

Your fitness is not falling apart. You won't lose that kind of fitness at all quickly. Your body just might need to be reminded of it over a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Your fitness is not falling apart. You won't lose that kind of fitness at all quickly. Your body just might need to be reminded of it over a couple of weeks.

if I'm honest, training has actually been on a downward spiral since early October, so over a month really. Anyways, I'm staying positive until I know more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

The spreadsheet is very messed up :eek: Some people seem to have taken their names off or something. I'll have to sort it out later

@ Bulmers the bottom left hand button on the forerunner10 is the lap button. You might have to go into run options - lap key - turn on before you can use it

I cant find the spreadsheet and even if I do find it Im not sure its safe to let me near it or you may have more repair work to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I cant find the spreadsheet and even if I do find it Im not sure its safe to let me near it or you may have more repair work to do.
    :D

Spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoaCGJk6gWtQdGI3TlI1SDVUNjlMSGRTX1VaMGtudUE#gid=39

I've added you in from Wk 1. If you want you can add in your mileage up to then in column R on Wk 1 and continue from there

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

if I'm honest, training has actually been on a downward spiral since early October, so over a month really. Anyways, I'm staying positive until I know more :)

Hopefully your blood tests will give you more info to get it sorted... All those miles you have in your legs, there is no way will they forget so soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Your fitness won't fall away that much after all the work you've done - once you're back to full strength it'll all come back fairly quickly. Just don't get frustrated with it. I'm just ticking over at the moment - things fairly hectic workwise & kids wise right now for some reason it's like a non-stop treadmill that's getting faster & faster ! I'm keeping it simple for now and concentrating on being consistent (my big downfall to date I think :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »
    Your fitness won't fall away that much after all the work you've done - once you're back to full strength it'll all come back fairly quickly. Just don't get frustrated with it. I'm just ticking over at the moment - things fairly hectic workwise & kids wise right now for some reason it's like a non-stop treadmill that's getting faster & faster ! I'm keeping it simple for now and concentrating on being consistent (my big downfall to date I think :rolleyes:)

Don't know how you guys with kids and full time jobs manage it all. Are you targeting any races before xmas?

Am still hoping to do Jingle Bells and maybe a Parkrun prior to that. Was advised tonight to forget the hr monitor for a while as it's just doing my head in. Delighted I can leave the stupid thing at home for a while :D
    Going to run by feel for a while and just relax about it all. Really is all such a learning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Don't know how you guys with kids and full time jobs manage it all.

No time for me to hit the road until my little monkey is in bed. Lots of late, cold running!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Don't know how you guys with kids and full time jobs manage it all. Are you targeting any races before xmas?

Don't be worried about things Ososlo, remember that you run for fun and sometimes a break is needed to get the head and body back in the right place.

You've done a huge amount of work leading up to and including DCM and if its not right just now then take a break, theres more to life than races and watches and pace and times.

prescription to get my running back on track. Day 1:

don't check resting heart rate today... Check
    don't wear hr monitor on run. Check
    don't look at pace on watch.... Check (really wasn't supposed to wear it at all but hey let's take it one step at a time;))
    Just run!.... Check.
    enjoy it!.... CHECK:D:D:D best run I've had in months. Yes i was running too fast. Yes my heart rate was probably sky high. Do I care? NO!!!! No plodding and I was actually sweating which I never do when I run at my easy pace so for once I feel I had a nice workout. No it might not benefit me aerobically but it sure helped get the head back in a good place. Kicked the legs nice and high, kept posture nice and upright and ran what felt like a relaxed but steady pace that I could have held for many more miles. This is the first run I've done in a year without the hr monitor!! Recently it has felt like lead weight around my chest dragging me further and further into a deep depression :( I'M FREE!!!!!:D Yes I will go back to using it eventually as I do agree it's a very useful tool but I think both of us need a break from each other for a little while.

Result: A happy Ososlo :)

I'll get the other running related issues sorted over the next while and I'll be back fightin fit in a few weeks ready for racing. Can't wait to don the racing shoes for a 5k in December... Thanks guys!

So who's going for Boards drinks in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

prescription to get my running back on track. Day 1:

don't check resting heart rate today... Check
    don't wear hr monitor on run. Check
    don't look at pace on watch.... Check (really wasn't supposed to wear it at all but hey let's take it one step at a time;))
    Just run!.... Check.
    enjoy it!.... CHECK:D:D:D best run I've had in months. Yes i was running too fast. Yes my heart rate was probably sky high. Do I care? NO!!!! No plodding and I was actually sweating which I never do when I run at my easy pace so for once I feel I had a nice workout. No it might not benefit me aerobically but it sure helped get the head back in a good place. Kicked the legs nice and high, kept posture nice and upright and ran what felt like a relaxed but steady pace that I could have held for many more miles. This is the first run I've done in a year without the hr monitor!! Recently it has felt like lead weight around my chest dragging me further and further into a deep depression :( I'M FREE!!!!!:D Yes I will go back to using it eventually as I do agree it's a very useful tool but I think both of us need a break from each other for a little while.

Result: A happy Ososlo :)

I'll get the other running related issues sorted over the next while and I'll be back fightin fit in a few weeks ready for racing. Can't wait to don the racing shoes for a 5k in December... Thanks guys!

So who's going for Boards drinks in December?

Good to see you back running and with your usual positive attitude:). Hope your recovery continues.
    I`ve two runs under my belt since the DCM. Only a 2mile and a 3 mile but no niggles in the knee so far. Going to step it up next week.

Oh Yeah, forgot to say thanks to Blockic for mentoring us and to Shortstuff for setting this thread up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

8 miles in the phoenix park this morning,jaysus it felt great.going to have a right crack at the jingle bells 5k in a few weeks time.
    Great to see a few people wearing their marathon finishers tops today.

Well I managed to get 25 miles in this week and enjoyed them. Lovely running weather. Its funny though, I could still sleep for Ireland since Marathon. Is this normal?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well I managed to get 25 miles in this week and enjoyed them. Lovely running weather. It funny though, I could still sleep for Ireland since Marathon. Is this normal?

Might be an idea to get your bloods done to rule out anemia etc if you're a bit more tired than usual.

Might be an idea to get your bloods done to rule out anemia etc if you're a bit more tired than usual.
    Thanks, definitely not a lack of iron though as I have it checked regularly and if anything I tend to store too much iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Impromptu 4mile race yesterday.
    East Galway AC 4miler. Conditions, well, wet would be an understatement :D
    Came in at 00:28:00 Very pleased with that on such a tough hilly course and the rush. Made startline with about 5 minutes to go and no warm up. Bit mad with myself with the lateness as I'm usually well early for a race but sure I'll be more definitive with my races in future :)

DISTANCE PACE ELAPSED TIME
    1 km 04:21 min/km 4:21
    2 km 04:47 min/km 4:47
    3 km 04:43 min/km 4:42
    4 km 04:30 min/km 4:29
    5 km 04:12 min/km 4:11
    6 km 03:52 min/km 3:52
    6.4 km 03:37 min/km 1:33

All in all, happy with result for my first 4 miler and yes i'll be marking it as a PB :D

Oh and yes, metric measurements for a 4 miler, thats how crazy I am :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hi folks,

Haven't really reported in yet but am building mileage back up in a reasonably structured fashion (40k last week over 5 runs, 8k, 5k, 6.5k, 15.5k, 5k) and still need to look at target races.

Injury wise have been pretty ok since the marathon although my whole left leg feels a bit tight and a number of runs have felt harder than they should say at particular paces but overall all good.

Looking forward to the plan Blockic!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

So three weeks today since DCM and I have yet to have a run since it due to injury.

The injury seems to be behind me now and I really hope to get a wee run in tonight. It's strange how, despite having run 42k a few weeks ago I am now nervous about running 5 k this evening, I am sure it is just a matter of getting out and doing it and I will be fine.

So fingers crossed I can get through a short run tonight without any difficulty and without the injury flaring up.

I did Stook 10 yesterday, tough course but worth it for the flying mile, 7:59:D

Worst race prep ever, couple friends were over & they announced we were going out-3jager bombs & several Jameson's & I crawled into bed at 4.30am. Bit of a hangover so I said Id risk a fry and off I left at 9:30!!

Lovely atmosphere at the race. Met the lovely CM and belcarra. I decided to retie my laces at the last minute so was last across the start line - better than last across the finish:) kept the pace sensible but passed a good few people in the first mile. I got a bit confused when people came flying past! Penny dropped when kids started to pass me- 5km race was using the same route. The amount of kids running was great. There was one little dude, mustve only been 5/6. Well we must have past each other a dozen times- he'd sprint past, then stop abruptly all frustrated shaking his head, walk a bit and repeat, very entertaining! I must add he did beat me to the 5km mark-note to self work on speed!

Was on my own for a mile or two, thought the breakfast mightnt have been a great idea but kept focus on the girl ahead and the sickness past. Around mile 5 I was joined by a St Catherines lady, ran together for the next 3 which was a god send, took the pain of the hills a little. Will confess to walking 30meters or so of the hill-IT band was screaming at me!

Heard the sound of the bells on the hill & powered through. Had said to my new pal that I was going for it on the downhill so she said goodbye. Really ran as fast as I could here, leaned forward etc but wasnt breathing too hard, a girl who had been ahead 50-100m ahead the whole race was getting closer so aimed to beat her to the timing mat, which I did:D ran with her then for the last mile. We picked up a guy who was walking somewhere along here and he picked it up to run with us. Coming into the village we picked up the pace again but the girl was having none of it & fair to her she had it in her to sprint so were even ha!

Woke up with an awful pain in my knee though, has wore off during the day a bit but Ill do a bit if foam rolling tonight and hopefully it'll be good to run tomorrow.

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    So three weeks today since DCM and I have yet to have a run since it due to injury.

The injury seems to be behind me now and I really hope to get a wee run in tonight. It's strange how, despite having run 42k a few weeks ago I am now nervous about running 5 k this evening, I am sure it is just a matter of getting out and doing it and I will be fine.

So fingers crossed I can get through a short run tonight without any difficulty and without the injury flaring up.

Good luck with the run tonight jmcc! Take it handy:)

nice one shortstuff! Sounds like you had a blast. Don't know how you managed to do it at all considering the pre-race hydration:eek: Super time for your fast mile too:D Hope the knee is ok but the foam rolling will hopefully sort it out for you.

Anyone able to add the sheet for this week? Bit of a technophobe here:o

Lovely jaunt around the Phoenix Park today. Longest run since DCM at 8ish miles. Would have happily done another few but don't want to overdo things until health back to normal. Actually, overdoing things is probably never a good idea:D

nice one shortstuff! Sounds like you had a blast. Don't know how you managed to do it at all considering the pre-race hydration:eek: Super time for your fast mile too:D Hope the knee is ok but the foam rolling will hopefully sort it out for you.

Lovely jaunt around the Phoenix Park today. Longest run since DCM at 8ish miles. Would have happily done another few but don't want to overdo things until health back to normal. Actually, overdoing things is probably never a good idea:D

Ur definitely coming back to yourself when you are wishing your long run could be longer! Great news.

Thank fook for water stops:) Really was a fun race!

Glad to see your enjoying your running again, you doing jingle bells 5km?

Thank fook for water stops:) Really was a fun race!

Glad to see your enjoying your running again, you doing jingle bells 5km?

Thanks!
    Yep JB is the plan. You doing it too? Should be a good pb course.

Thanks!
    Yep JB is the plan. You doing it too? Should be a good pb course.

Very tempted! Work Xmas party the night before though so not great timing... But might give it a go anyway;)

• Advertisement

Very tempted! Work Xmas party the night before though so not great timing... But might give it a go anyway;)

sure that won't be a bother on you considering your prep for stook! Go for it. You know you want to!

Advertisement