Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Ososlo wrote: »
    sure that won't be a bother on you considering your prep for stook! Go for it. You know you want to!

I swear I don't have a drink problem ha:) might see you there so!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

Well done Shortstuff & Martyboys on your races! Love reading the race reports. Ososlo delighted to hear you are back enjoying it.

I Am just getting myself back doing a few easy miles. Had a bit of an injury post dcm but nearly 100% recovered and raring to go! Had originally planned to do a local race next weekend but don't know might be a bit early for me yet.

Does anyone have the link to the spreadsheet? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Zaram wrote: »
    Well done Shortstuff & Martyboys on your races! Love reading the race reports. Ososlo delighted to hear you are back enjoying it.

I Am just getting myself back doing a few easy miles. Had a bit of an injury post dcm but nearly 100% recovered and raring to go! Had originally planned to do a local race next weekend but don't know might be a bit early for me yet.

Does anyone have the link to the spreadsheet? Cheers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoaCGJk6gWtQdGI3TlI1SDVUNjlMSGRTX1VaMGtudUE&usp=drive_web#gid=6

hope that works. It's basically the same link as pre-dcm. Scroll to end to put in miles/km done on Weeks 1 and 2 since DCM. We're on week 3 now but we don't have a week 3 sheet if anyone can help out thanks!
    good to see the injury clearing up. Great weather for running atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I decided to retie my laces at the last minute so was last across the start line

I've got ya now! :) I remember that and was wondering why you were so far behind!! Makes since now! Well done and glad you enjoyed it!!

I'll be up at Jingle Bells too in a Gowran singlet (likely the only one!) so if anyone is running it be sure to say hello if you see me!

Are people starting to get out more regularly now? Will be starting the plan for those interested on the 2nd December and will be at about 30-33 miles the first week and 5 days, we'll build this up slowly. Will have some fun sessions lined up so will be interesting to see how you get on with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

blockic wrote: »

I'll be up at Jingle Bells too in a Gowran singlet (likely the only one!) so if anyone is running it be sure to say hello if you see me!

Just look for the pink runners ;)

• Advertisement

I did Stook 10 yesterday, tough course but worth it for the flying mile, 7:59:D

Worst race prep ever, couple friends were over & they announced we were going out-3jager bombs & several Jameson's & I crawled into bed at 4.30am. Bit of a hangover so I said Id risk a fry and off I left at 9:30!!

Lovely atmosphere at the race. Met the lovely CM and belcarra. I decided to retie my laces at the last minute so was last across the start line - better than last across the finish:) kept the pace sensible but passed a good few people in the first mile. I got a bit confused when people came flying past! Penny dropped when kids started to pass me- 5km race was using the same route. The amount of kids running was great. There was one little dude, mustve only been 5/6. Well we must have past each other a dozen times- he'd sprint past, then stop abruptly all frustrated shaking his head, walk a bit and repeat, very entertaining! I must add he did beat me to the 5km mark-note to self work on speed!

Was on my own for a mile or two, thought the breakfast mightnt have been a great idea but kept focus on the girl ahead and the sickness past. Around mile 5 I was joined by a St Catherines lady, ran together for the next 3 which was a god send, took the pain of the hills a little. Will confess to walking 30meters or so of the hill-IT band was screaming at me!

Heard the sound of the bells on the hill & powered through. Had said to my new pal that I was going for it on the downhill so she said goodbye. Really ran as fast as I could here, leaned forward etc but wasnt breathing too hard, a girl who had been ahead 50-100m ahead the whole race was getting closer so aimed to beat her to the timing mat, which I did:D ran with her then for the last mile. We picked up a guy who was walking somewhere along here and he picked it up to run with us. Coming into the village we picked up the pace again but the girl was having none of it & fair to her she had it in her to sprint so were even ha!

Woke up with an awful pain in my knee though, has wore off during the day a bit but Ill do a bit if foam rolling tonight and hopefully it'll be good to run tomorrow.

Well done shortstuff! Not great on the foam roller myself but bought 'The Stick' on Saturday in AK - pure weapon :) Everything I've read bout the Stook is so positive - it's one for next years calendar. It's only about half am hour from where I grew up so no excuses ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

So went out for my first run since DCM and injury last night. Did a very easy 4 miles, unfortunately the injury flared up again near the end as did a sore knee which is a completely new injury. A little disheartened by the whole thing but not too bad as the initial injury (tendonitis in ankle) is not there this morning but the knee is very sore. Will rest up again for another few days and see how it is then.

So anxious to get out running again though.

Great to hear that ye are all bouncing back at this stage. Kudos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ososlo wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoaCGJk6gWtQdGI3TlI1SDVUNjlMSGRTX1VaMGtudUE&usp=drive_web#gid=6

hope that works. It's basically the same link as pre-dcm. Scroll to end to put in miles/km done on Weeks 1 and 2 since DCM. We're on week 3 now but we don't have a week 3 sheet if anyone can help out thanks!
    good to see the injury clearing up. Great weather for running atm!

I can get sheet 3 up this evening if that's ok. Won't get to laptop before then

I can get sheet 3 up this evening if that's ok. Won't get to laptop before then

Think I put it up last night, but I could have been imagining it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

First run in my new home of Waterford tonight. Got lost and almost got knocked down. Spot the culchie :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I've got ya now! :) I remember that and was wondering why you were so far behind!! Makes since now! Well done and glad you enjoyed it!!

Are people starting to get out more regularly now? Will be starting the plan for those interested on the 2nd December and will be at about 30-33 miles the first week and 5 days, we'll build this up slowly. Will have some fun sessions lined up so will be interesting to see how you get on with them!

30-33 the first week:eek: Im afraid to think what you will be expecting on the last week! Im getting out 5 times now but longest run I have managed is 8 miles due to lack of time. It was blowing a gale here today I thought I would start going backwards at 1 point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

i was about a mile in to my run today when i felt a strange pain in my right calf,slowed down a bit thinking i might be able to run it off but about a minute later i decided to turn back and start walking cos i was afraid of it getting any worse.
    very surprised to be honest,never really have any problems with injuries at all never mind calf problems,i can only think i've just been doing a little bit too much since the marathon but i was following the hal higdon recovery programme.
    going to rest up for a few days,not that i have much choice.:(

I'm in the same boat now ooter:( Left knee hasn't been right since the race Sunday, did a recovery run y'day at lunch, felt ok at the time but sharp pain last night, think it's when I turn to lie on my side that I'm twisting it or something. Gave circuit training and did some rolling and RICE this evening instead. May think about booking physio if it's not right soon...

SamforMayo wrote: »
    30-33 the first week:eek: Im afraid to think what you will be expecting on the last week!

Don't worry, will build up very slowly. By the end of the training block it would be good to have low 40 mile weeks being a "typical" training week for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

30-33 TERRIFIES me! Pulled the finger out and did a 5k this morning-felt like any fitness I may have had died with my toe nails after the dcm!!!
    Glad to have gotten out though-great feeling after!! Looking forward to te jingle bells in two weeks!

cnlbel wrote: »
    30-33 TERRIFIES me! Pulled the finger out and did a 5k this morning-felt like any fitness I may have had died with my toe nails after the dcm!!!
    Glad to have gotten out though-great feeling after!! Looking forward to te jingle bells in two weeks!

What mileage did you peak at for DCM?

Once you get back going again the fitness won't be long coming back

12.3 miles done today to collect the car from it service (timing belt ouch:() Probably a little far considering my legs aren't 100%, was meant to be 10miles but I signpost tempted be off the route I had planned to take, oops... Knee was fine but IT band gave a bit if trouble, related no doubt, walked a few sections to ease it out which worked well! Some more rolling needed;)

Ok guys, I see some of you maybe unsure on what to do next week before the plan starts so I've put together a plan for this week to help you build up to Week 1, for those interested. Feel free to completly ignore!

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    4m easy|Rest|5m easy incl. 6x100m strides|3m easy|4m easy|Rest|10m easy|26m

Days can be shuffled around but try and keep the 3 midweek runs together. We'll start the sessions next week.

For anyone running the Waterford Half, the Friday run should be at recovery pace and the long run will be the race.

See, doesn't look too bad down on paper does it! ;)

Any questions just shout. How many miles have people got in this week? Time to start picking it up now. Holidays are over! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Done 19 miles this past week. First 5 run week since the start of October :eek:

Had planned 25 miles with an 8 mile long run for this week but may as well fall in line early and get back into the double digit runs.

As stated in the spreadsheet my next goal race will be the Tralee Half Marathon in March but I'm thinking once I'm back running with some consistency that I'll do the last 5 mile race before Christmas (19th Dec) in the Waterford Winter League. Should give me a good idea of where I am performance wise post marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ok guys, I see some of you maybe unsure on what to do next week before the plan starts so I've put together a plan for this week to help you build up to Week 1, for those interested. Feel free to completly ignore!

Days can be shuffled around but try and keep the 3 midweek runs together. We'll start the sessions next week.

For anyone running the Waterford Half, the Friday run should be at recovery pace and the long run will be the race.

Any questions just shout. How many miles have people got in this week? Time to start picking it up now. Holidays are over! :)
    Thanks for this. I did 25 miles this week, lsr was 8 miles. Remind me again how to do strides?

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I did 25 miles this week, lsr was 8 miles. Remind me again how to do strides?

So you do the strides at the end of the easy run.

Run 4 miles easy and then kick them off.

Strides are "bursts" or increased pace for a particular distance. They should not be an all out sprint but more a conrolled increase in pace, about 3k-5k pace. The distance is not critical either roughly 100m, an estimation is fine.

Do a stride then jog for a bit, when recovered begin your next one and so on..

Looks good Blockic, thanks for that! 20miles done over 3runs this week so should be ok:)

I would suggest 2 + 2 + 1 @ HMP with 3 min recovery jogs in between and a mile warm up and cool down. At this day next week the recovery is almost complete marathon wise so it would be ok to do the session i think. Definitely advise getting some Half Marathon miles in the legs.

Did this session on Wednesday & seemed to go ok - summary 7.7 miles @ 8.06 pace

1 w/u 9.49
    2 hmp 7.28, 7.19
    3.37 recovery @ 9.47 pace
    2 hmp 7.02, 7.19
    3.13 recovery @ 9.46 pace
    1 hmp 7.05
    1 c/d 9.23
    Pace miles are a little erratic as I didn't know the profile of the route but they average 7.15 which is my hmp. 1st pace mile was quite hilly.

Other runs this week were at easy or lsr pace.

Should I be doing any hmp miles this week? Was thinking 2 or 3 Wednesday with 1 w/u & 1 c/d

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Should I be doing any hmp miles this week? Was thinking 2 or 3 Wednesday with 1 w/u & 1 c/d

Nice session last week Bulmers, I find it very hard to hit my HMP at times in training so the fact you hit it easily in the last 2 reps is very positive.

Yep, no harm on Wednesday doing 5 miles with 2@HMP instead of the strides. Should be well set then.

I'm down to run Waterford and could well be at 7:15 pace. If I'm not injured I might keep you company!

I'm down to run Waterford and could well be at 7:15 pace. If I'm not injured I might keep you company!

Cheers - would love the company. Hope your toe/foot niggle clears up.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

thanks for this Blockic, my motivation has started to dip so i needed this to get me in gear again, looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2chances

Thanks for this Blokic, definitely the perfect kick-start to follow the recovery plan. Feeling fit and ready for a ramp-up. Race plan at the moment is to start with the Great Heath 10k in January. Struggled a little at it last year as had absolutely no groundwork done. Hope to knock a few minutes off of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

2chances wrote: »
    Race plan at the moment is to start with the Great Heath 10k in January.

Been considering that one myself but I'd like something a little sooner than January 19th - so I'll probably opt for the Piltown 10K on Dec 8th, or Gorey on Jan 4th. But I might just do 2 out of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Thanks Blockic. I'm probably a week or two off where the plan needs me to be but I will follow as best I can. To be honest for me between now and early Jan 5 days running a week is just not going to happen - but I'll be doing 3 days together midweek and 1 session at the weekends.

I'm curious as to how to measure the stride distance if garmin is set to measure miles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

donnacha wrote: »

I'm curious as to how to measure the stride distance if garmin is set to measure miles?

As Blockic has already pointed out, the exact distance of strides doesn't matter. Just do the strides for 20-25 seconds or maybe the distance between two lamposts, the4 point is just to get your legs turning a bit faster at the end of an easy run...

Advertisement