Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I did my lsr of 10 miles this morning and I never stopped complaining the whole way! My running partner was ready to fire me into the ditch I d say! It was very hard, I ran 8 miles last week with no bother. I couldn't find my rhythm at all and was sweating like a bull considering I was nt going fast. Anyways it s done and Im having a rest day tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

Thanks Blockic for the training schedule for this week. I`m going to give it a go as a tester for my knee. Should be interesting.

I took the advice here and went to a training session with Sligo AC last Thursday just to introduce myself. I had my kit on as I ran the 1.5 miles to where they were with a plan to say hello and run easily back. I arrived just as they were starting a sequence of 8 intervals up a hill. So you can guess what happened next. I can`t resist a challenge. It was great. The last year all my runs have been solo so to run in a group was so good. I was welcomed and encouraged and I`m now hooked. I`m going to join the club this week.
    The knee was tender the next day but nothing too worrying. Here`s hoping.

The only thing is how should I fit their training runs in with the plan Blockic comes up with? Maybe I should go to a few more of their sessions before deciding anything.

I see a lot of you are planning your future races. Good luck with those. I`m gonna hang back a bit and see how this week goes. Then if all goes well I`ll pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Martypk wrote: »
    I took the advice here and went to a training session with Sligo AC last Thursday just to introduce myself. I had my kit on as I ran the 1.5 miles to where they were with a plan to say hello and run easily back. I arrived just as they were starting a sequence of 8 intervals up a hill. So you can guess what happened next. I can`t resist a challenge. It was great. The last year all my runs have been solo so to run in a group was so good. I was welcomed and encouraged and I`m now hooked. I`m going to join the club this week.
    The knee was tender the next day but nothing too worrying. Here`s hoping.

The only thing is how should I fit their training runs in with the plan Blockic comes up with? Maybe I should go to a few more of their sessions before deciding anything.

No worries Marty, the club sounds great and as you say the best thing you can do is join a club.

Club sessions will be much better for you than any of my sessions as running with a group gets much more out of you than running solo plus you will get tips from the people there visually observing you, something I won't be able to do.

See what nights the club do the sessions and then you can work around it by filling in the remaining days with the easy running and the LSRs

If you need a hand with it just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

That`s cool Blockic, thanks. I`ll let you know how it goes. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Still have not run since DCM (Except for the ill-advised 4 miles 10 days ago) The injury seems to have gone and I am going crazy to get out for a run but doing my utmost to give the leg another week.

Did a bit of strength and conditioning training last week (and again tonight, and every Wednesday for the next few weeks) but there is nothing quite like pounding the roads to make you feel that you are getting/maintaining fitness levels.

Never, ever thought I would type the next sentence but.... I am really missing running for hours on end in the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

Gave the calf a week's (almost) rest and went out last night for a run,wasn't too long in to it when the problem flared up again.:-(
    Gutted,looks like I'll be out for a few weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Decent enough sale on www.sportsshoes.com if anyone is due to replace their marathon shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice, did the DCM in 3:49 was happy
    Have been running since, run 20K into work once a week and do 3X10K's during the week.

I need some guidance, I want to do DCM next year, would 3:39 be realistic, is there a hal higdon training plan that would suit this?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Reminder guys that the boards beers are on Saturday week (7th December) at 8pm in the palace bars. Don't be shy and make sure to add your name to the list so I can get an idea of numbers...Just one of the novices from this thread going but both Blocky and C_M will be there; great chance to meet your mentors and have some craic. All will be made more than welcome!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082001

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Reminder guys that the boards beers are on Saturday week (7th December) at 8pm in the palace bars. Don't be shy and make sure to add your name to the list so I can get an idea of numbers...Just one of the novices from this thread going but both Blocky and C_M will be there; great chance to meet your mentors and have some craic. All will be made more than welcome!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082001

We are sending one novice to see if they come back alive:D
    Id love to go but too far away for me, enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hope to go along for Boards drinks and it'd be nice to meet some of you if you're going.
    Running's going well but without the HR monitor keeping me in check I was running too fast and ended up with calf strain. Out for 3 days but back at it today so delighted I didn't do any damage:D I was like a demon to live with since Sunday so everyone's happier Ososlo's back on the road now:)
    Decided to pull out of Jingle Bells. I'm just not racing fit yet. Did a Parkrun last weekend to test the "speed" and I had to pull out as just working too hard for the results I'm seeing and felt very sick. Awaiting results of some more tests from the doc and rhr still too high but has come down a lot. I feel I'm getting there... slowly but surely.
    New target 5k is Clonliffe in Santry on 21st Dec.
    Going to pace my sister to sub 30 in Jingle Bells. It was the first race we did together on week 7 of C25k 2 years ago and we ran it together then so it'd be nice to do the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Can anyone add week 4 to the spreadsheet please?

Woden wrote: »

no week 4 yet :( I think one of us is going to have to learn how to add a sheet:eek: I can add a sheet but don't know how to do the formula to make it all add up:o I'll get some help over weekend and hopefully we can be self-sufficient eventually!

Woden wrote: »

Updated now. I've added Wk 5 too seeing at this week is nearly over!

blockic wrote: »
    Updated now. I've added Wk 5 too seeing at this week is nearly over!
    thanks blockic!

How did everyone get on this week?

Well done to Bulmers74 on a great run in Waterford HM, anyone else racing at the weekend?

Here is the plan for this week.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    4m easy|Rest|Session|3m recovery|5m easy|Rest|12m easy|30-32m

Wednesday's session is a bit of fun to kick off the schedule. It's a fartlek pyramid session and thanks to drquirky for being the source! ;)

Session:

15mins warm up

1min hard/1.5min hard/2min hard/2.5min hard/3min hard/2.5min hard/2min hard/1.5min hard/1min hard

15mins cool down

The hard sections should be at about your 5km pace but don't worry if it is a tad slower than that but don't have it any faster.

The recovery jogs between the sections should be half the time (so 30seconds to 90 seconds) and crawling pace. If you feel you need a bit extra recovery however, take it.Make sure your breathing is back to normal before starting the next rep, the session should work out to be anything from 6-8 miles.

Those who race the weekend either do half the session (so up to the 2min rep and then back down) OR just run 6 easy, depending on how the legs are feeling.

Any questions just shout.

Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

No worries Marty, the club sounds great and as you say the best thing you can do is join a club.

Club sessions will be much better for you than any of my sessions as running with a group gets much more out of you than running solo plus you will get tips from the people there visually observing you, something I won't be able to do.

See what nights the club do the sessions and then you can work around it by filling in the remaining days with the easy running and the LSRs

If you need a hand with it just let me know.
    Like Marty pk, I am going to follow this thread for inspiration, but I probably won't really follow the training plan as it might not fit in with running with the club. The club has just started fit for life speed sessions on a Sunday, so I've been doing them and have moved my long run to Monday for now? I am also racing on Wednesdays for the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Same here. I'm not a "graduate" and not following the plan. But I think I'll rob that Wednesday session for this week. Thanks :D

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Like Marty pk, I am going to follow this thread for inspiration, but I probably won't really follow the training plan as it might not fit in with running with the club. The club has just started fit for life speed sessions on a Sunday, so I've been doing them and have moved my long run to Monday for now? I am also racing on Wednesdays for the next two weeks.

Hi HelenAnne,

Not sure if it is best to run the long run a day after the speed session. If it's possible to do the long run on the Friday or the Tuesday it would probably be a wiser option, that is what I would do anyway but others like doing the long run the day after as it is on tired legs, but injury risk may be greater.

But if you can't fit it in any other time other than Monday then need's must!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi HelenAnne,

Not sure if it is best to run the long run a day after the speed session. If it's possible to do the long run on the Friday or the Tuesday it would probably be a wiser option, that is what I would do anyway but others like doing the long run the day after as it is on tired legs, but injury risk may be greater.

But if you can't fit it in any other time other than Monday then need's must!

Thank you! I can't really fit it in anywhere else - a race on wednesday sort of rules out Tuesday … at the moment it's not actually that long (10-12 miles) and I will do it VERY slow, so hopefully it will be ok (and it will be on very tired legs as I did Run the Line yesterday!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Man down, man down.....

Right foot was giving a little trouble over the last week or two. Nothing to bad, just knew that the bit of pain was enough to have me ease back and keep an eye on it.
    Dropped back to 3 "moderate" runs for each of the last two weeks.
    Went for run this evening after not running last 3 days and took it handy. Felt good with no sign of pain(well very little). Was just beginning to think all was well when 1km from home a sudden sharp pain on the underside of foot/arch....

Pulled up immediately with a hop and a skip and knew I'd be walking/hobbling the last km home..
    Will sort out physio in the morning and hopefully get appointment in afternoon...
    Will let ye know how it goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Well done to Bulmers74 on a great run in Waterford HM, anyone else racing at the weekend?

QUOTE]

Cheers for this Blockic, i will swap a few runs around but it looks good. Last week was okish, did around 20miles in total have a head cold so didnt want to push it too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Ok, 5 weeks after DCM and two weeks after a failed attempt to run on the injured foot I will try again tonight.

3 miles at easy pace - Hopefully the injury doesn't flare up.

Fingers crossed as I am getting very very VERY antsy about not being able to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Decent enough sale on www.sportsshoes.com if anyone is due to replace their marathon shoes!

Thanks shortstuff! - picked up a pair of triumph 10's for €74, normally retails for about €130 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Looking for some advice, did the DCM in 3:49 was happy
    Have been running since, run 20K into work once a week and do 3X10K's during the week.

I need some guidance, I want to do DCM next year, would 3:39 be realistic, is there a hal higdon training plan that would suit this?

Thanks

Don't see why not. I ran my first Marathon in Dublin 2012 and managed 3:51. This October, I got around in 3:28. I definitely upped my mileage this year, and ran a good few fast 5ks (Parkrun) over the Winter, and I found this helped.

I used the P & D plan (up to 88k) but I didn't stick religiously to it. I'm back focusing on the shorter stuff for a while now, and wouldn't be too keen to get back into Marathon training so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Thanks shortstuff! - picked up a pair of triumph 10's for €74, normally retails for about €130 :)

I got the same ones:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Wednesday's session is a bit of fun to kick off the schedule. It's a fartlek pyramid session and thanks to drquirky for being the source! ;)

Session:

15mins warm up

1min hard/1.5min hard/2min hard/2.5min hard/3min hard/2.5min hard/2min hard/1.5min hard/1min hard

15mins cool down

The hard sections should be at about your 5km pace but don't worry if it is a tad slower than that but don't have it any faster.

The recovery jogs between the sections should be half the time (so 30seconds to 90 seconds) and crawling pace. If you feel you need a bit extra recovery however, take it.Make sure your breathing is back to normal before starting the next rep, the session should work out to be anything from 6-8 miles.

Those who race the weekend either do half the session (so up to the 2min rep and then back down) OR just run 6 easy, depending on how the legs are feeling.

Any questions just shout.

Have fun!

Thanks for that blockic - have been looking for something to get my running (re)organised. Found I can turn your session into an interval programme in my running app too. Pity all the running apps dont have a common format would allow us to share them round - they all Garmin, runkeeper, training peaks etc seem to use their own formats. Anyway thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Waterford half marathon – 1st of December -13.17 miles at average pace of 7.04

Splits 7.09, 7.21, 7.09, 7.14, 7.02, 7.19, 7.12, 7.13, 7.04, 7.02, 7.05, 6.50, 6.29, 1.01

New PB:D 1.33.08

Had pencilled this one in from a while back as it was a race done by a good few of the 2012 graduates with positive feedback and it fell exactly in line with the end of the Hal Higdon marathon recovery plan. I had a bit of unfinished business over this distance as the last time I ran a half (Phoenix Park) in September things didn’t go too well. I was glad I’d signed up for this before Dublin as if I hadn’t this race to work towards I feel things might have become a bit aimless for me.
    Although the legs seemed to have recovered well since Dublin and I had got the required miles in I wasn’t overly confident prior to the race. I’d been feeling a bit sluggish in the last week and 3 pace miles on Wednesday seemed a bit harder than they should’ve been. Young Bulmers birthday was on Saturday so plenty cake, chocolate and rubbish was consumed by me which was hardly ideal pre race nutrition.
    On race morning was up at 7 for the porridge, got the last few bits & pieces ready and headed off. I was there in loads of time which is not like me and had a bit of time to look around the impressive facilities at the WIT Sports Campus. Did a mile of a warm up, a few stretches and headed for the starting pen. The pens were quite small and fairly full. I planned to position myself between the 1.30 & 1.40 groups but found myself right beside the 1.30 pacers as it was so packed. The gun went and I walked across the line on purpose so not to be drawn along by the 1.30 group. I had made that mistake in the Dublin half and was determined it wouldn’t happen again. Having received a bit of welcome advice on strategy the plan was to take the first 3 miles handy enough to get up to race pace, maintain it until 10 miles & then ask the legs a few questions if possible. Race pace was to be 7.15.
    Went through the 1st mile in 7.09 which was a little quick. I did notice that I didn’t pass the 1 mile marker til 7.29 which was a bit confusing. I know there’ll always be a discrepancy due to the racing line but I thought 20 seconds was a bit much. After asking a few around me if they found the same I concluded the marker was not spot on. I eased of a bit in the 2nd mile which was easy to do as there was a bit of a drag up to the industrial estate. Kept an eye out for Skeleton_boy here but there were 3 stewards here wearing hats & I hadn’t time to be asking questions! In the 5th mile I pushed on a little bit as it was downhill passing my old alma mater, WIT (although it was an RTC in those days). The split from this mile was 7.02 which I was happy with. I had read Tunguska’s race report on the marathon and was interested in the way he ran the inclines & declines and decided I’d employ a bit of his strategy of pushing on a bit on the declines & conserving a bit on the uphill. Met a guy from West Waterford AC around here and we chatted for a few miles. He had done 3.30 in Dublin and happened to know a few people that I knew. The country roads for this middle section were poor but it didn’t bother me as I’m used to training on similar terrain. Around mile 8 I was beginning pass a few for the first time. I remembered Zaram’s race report about picking targets & passing them so that’s what I started to do. Came across a guy from Eagle AC at this stage as one of my ‘targets’. He wasn’t giving up too easy so we ran together for a bit without talking. I had taken the inside line by the kerb and knew he was under pressure. He stayed with me for a while but I upped the pace for a little bit to see if I could shake him. Pace for this mile was 7.04 and I felt ok with this and decided I’d try and maintain for a bit and see what would happen. Was able to keep this going as far as the Butlerstown roundabout which was only 2 miles from home. Here I decided to push on a bit again as it was slightly downhill. I got to the final mile marker and knew there was to be a decent downhill stretch. Got there and it was a bit steeper than expected so didn’t go flat out but controlled it a bit. When it wasn't as steep I began to kick on and kept this going to the finish. I was passing targets all the way at this stage and increased pace for the last push in spite of the small hill up to the finish. Just looking at the last .17 of a mile now I ran it at sub 6 minute pace which I’m happy with. Crossed the line in 1.33.08 which is a nice chunk of 3.49 off my previous best. I’m delighted with the time & it’s nice to finish out the racing year on a high.
    Didn’t hang around too long afterwards as I was meeting a mate of mine. Also as I’m originally from the Deise I had the added bonus of calling to the Mammy for Sunday dinner :) Well done to all at Waterford AC for an excellently organised race. The idea of the hat as opposed to a t shirt is a good one and it’ll be put to good use in the next few months. Yet another race for next years calendar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Great stuff Bulmers and congrats on the PB. Not too far off only seeing 7 min miles in marathons now.

Someone did call out my boards name at one stage and I thought it might of been you but apparently not. I'm sure we'll cross paths at some stage, sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

amazing work bulmers! I love the last few miles too! You just got faster and faster:eek: Super stuff, you're going from strength to strength. Massive congrats.

Advertisement