Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 Graduates - The Journey Continues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

blockic wrote: »
    How did everyone get on this week?

Well done to Bulmers74 on a great run in Waterford HM, anyone else racing at the weekend?

Here is the plan for this week.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    4m easy|Rest|Session|3m recovery|5m easy|Rest|12m easy|30-32m

Wednesday's session is a bit of fun to kick off the schedule. It's a fartlek pyramid session and thanks to drquirky for being the source! ;)

Session:

15mins warm up

1min hard/1.5min hard/2min hard/2.5min hard/3min hard/2.5min hard/2min hard/1.5min hard/1min hard

15mins cool down

The hard sections should be at about your 5km pace but don't worry if it is a tad slower than that but don't have it any faster.

The recovery jogs between the sections should be half the time (so 30seconds to 90 seconds) and crawling pace. If you feel you need a bit extra recovery however, take it.Make sure your breathing is back to normal before starting the next rep, the session should work out to be anything from 6-8 miles.

Those who race the weekend either do half the session (so up to the 2min rep and then back down) OR just run 6 easy, depending on how the legs are feeling.

Any questions just shout.

Have fun!

Last week was fine, got all the miles in. I have a 10 km this Sunday might give the wed session a miss (Any excuse). I ran 6 easy miles this evening, really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Last week was fine, got all the miles in. I have a 10 km this Sunday might give the wed session a miss (Any excuse). I ran 6 easy miles this evening, really enjoyed them.

Great stuff Sam, I'd advise doing half the session on Wednesday and do the reps at your 10km race pace. Would be good for getting the pace dialled in for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Waterford half marathon – 1st of December -13.17 miles at average pace of 7.04

Splits 7.09, 7.21, 7.09, 7.14, 7.02, 7.19, 7.12, 7.13, 7.04, 7.02, 7.05, 6.50, 6.29, 1.01

New PB:D 1.33.08

Brilliant stuff. Those splits are very impressive. You have to be pleased with yourself. It shows that the effort you`re making is paying off. Well done

Great stuff Sam, I'd advise doing half the session on Wednesday and do the reps at your 10km race pace. Would be good for getting the pace dialled in for Sunday.

Ahh feck it I thought I could get away easy:mad: Right boss , I will do as advised! cheers.

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Ok, 5 weeks after DCM and two weeks after a failed attempt to run on the injured foot I will try again tonight.

3 miles at easy pace - Hopefully the injury doesn't flare up.

Fingers crossed as I am getting very very VERY antsy about not being able to run.

Good luck with the run. Hopefully we`ll hear some good news.

• Advertisement

How did everyone get on this week?

This was my first full week of running since the DCM and on each run I was waiting for the knee to go. But it didn`t:D. By the time the lsr came along everything felt good, so my planned 9 miler became a 13. Wonderful feeling stretching the legs. So it looks like the injury has corrected itself.

Bring on those sessions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Someone did call out my boards name at one stage and I thought it might of been you but apparently not. I'm sure we'll cross paths at some stage, sooner rather than later.

That was me alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Tonight's run takes me over 1,000km for the year. Now I know we're not metrically inclined around here but 6 month ago me would never of imagined such a figure being hit. 95% of that road traveled has been easy running. Very excited to start doing sessions and see where they can take me.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Great running @bulmers74, fantastic time. We'll done.

So had first run last night since DCM (except for an abandoned run a few weeks ago) the injury didn't flare up which was great. Only did a very easy 3 miles to see how the ankle/foot coped. It was fine and no issues this morning. Hopefully in on the road back.

Found the run quite tough even though it was only 3 miles but very glad to have gotten through it.

Had to consciously correct my gait on a few occasions as I found I was running in a way that seemed to be trying to protect the foot, I'm sure normal gait will return once I'm confident the injury has subsided. Great to be back out though.

Oh and in other news I signed up for Berlin Marathon last night having been successful in the second lottery. It's not until end of September 2014 so plenty of time to get ready for it. Pricey though, €130 for entry and tshirt, and you have to rent the timing chip for 6eur which I find a little rich. Anyway I suppose it's a one off run

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Great news jmcc:) Delighted the run went well for you, itll get easier after a couple short runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

[. I remembered Zaram’s race report about picking targets & passing them so that’s what I started to do. Came across a guy from Eagle AC at this stage as one of my ‘targets’. !!![/QUOTE]

Well done Bulmers! . I stole that bit of advice from Career Move :pac:..congrats on an unreal time that some of us can only dream of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Zaram wrote: »
    Well done Bulmers! . I stole that bit of advice from Career Move :pac:..congrats on an unreal time that some of us can only dream of!
    Ha :D I borrowed it from Meno :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ha :D I borrowed it from Meno :D

I borrowed it from Tunguska :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Zaram wrote: »
    [. I remembered Zaram’s race report about picking targets & passing them so that’s what I started to do. Came across a guy from Eagle AC at this stage as one of my ‘targets’. !!!

Well done Bulmers! . I stole that bit of advice from Career Move :pac:..congrats on an unreal time that some of us can only dream of![/quote]

Yeah remember reading it in c_m's race report from Limerick as well. For me picking up bits of advice from the different logs here and seeing which ones work for you is a great way of developing running knowledge. Also there are loads of examples of progression on times - Claralara's is a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Finally made it to physio, not the one I wanted but couldn't be waiting until Thursday.
    Diagnosis planctar fascitis :( ... Physio went to town on me. Lying on the bed in such pain and trying to be brave in front of the lady, but by f*ck , she more or less had me in tears :D Sweating and sore as she rooted through every fiber of my underfoot while smiling and saying "nearly finished now, I know it painful". I started having thoughts and wondering if I drew a kick at her what would happen, the pain was that bad :D

Finally, when she was finished crushing the bones in my foot she starts on my calf muscle.... WTF!!! Again digging in like pressing your finger through an inflated baloon. I'd swear she was smiling and giggling but I couldn't turn around to see!!!

Now, you'd be forgivin for thing that was that, but , oh nooo, there was more... F*cking needles!!!! Stuck about 6-8 of the f&ckers in my calf muscle manoeuvered them into location and left them a few minutes. She then came back to them and wiggled them around and left them there again.

After removal, she went through a few things, golf ball, foam roller ect and I knew that the end of her sadistic ways were nigh :)

Back to her again next Wed for a bit more but all in all happy enough. Not sure though about the mention of 'Orthotics'? She said I may need to go down that route in time but we'll wait and see how things go...
    Still counting myself lucky as I got through DCM just about. This problem seemed to kick on just after it so glad I got to do it. Hopefully recovery will be fast but I will not be trying any heroics in trying to come back early chancing it. Will make start on core work and get on the bike...

That my story from today, Hope all going well for everyone...

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Finally made it to physio, not the one I wanted but couldn't be waiting until Thursday.

Good oul dry needling! :D

Sorry to hear about your woes! I've heard that the biggest mistake you can make with PF is rush back so take your time, hopefully it is not major.

Orthotics seems to be thrown out there very easily in a physio session it appears! :rolleyes: I'm not sure on it myself too. No harm getting a second opinion on it later on...

Diagnosis planctar fascitis :( ... Physio went to town on me. Lying on the bed in such pain and trying to be brave in front of the lady, but by f*ck , she more or less had me in tears :D Sweating and sore as she rooted through every fiber of my underfoot while smiling and saying "nearly finished now, I know it painful". I started having thoughts and wondering if I drew a kick at her what would happen, the pain was that bad :D

Finally, when she was finished crushing the bones in my foot she starts on my calf muscle.... WTF!!! Again digging in like pressing your finger through an inflated baloon. I'd swear she was smiling and giggling but I couldn't turn around to see!!!

Now, you'd be forgivin for thing that was that, but , oh nooo, there was more... F*cking needles!!!! Stuck about 6-8 of the f&ckers in my calf muscle manoeuvered them into location and left them a few minutes. She then came back to them and wiggled them around and left them there again.

After removal, she went through a few things, golf ball, foam roller ect and I knew that the end of her sadistic ways were nigh :)

Back to her again next Wed for a bit more but all in all happy enough. Not sure though about the mention of 'Orthotics'? She said I may need to go down that route in time but we'll wait and see how things go...
    Still counting myself lucky as I got through DCM just about. This problem seemed to kick on just after it so glad I got to do it. Hopefully recovery will be fast but I will not be trying any heroics in trying to come back early chancing it. Will make start on core work and get on the bike...

That my story from today, Hope all going well for everyone...[/QUO

Jes that reads like a scene from Reservior Dogs, Im never attending a physio if that s what happens:eek: Hope your on the mend soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

bought a foam roller last thursday and have gone hard at my calf with it ever since,was planning on taking another week off to give it time to heal and just go for walks this week but when i went out this evening i started trying a light jog to test the calf out ,6 miles later and everything was good as gold.:)
    delighted cos doing nothing for the last 2 weeks was really p1ssing me off.
    jingle bells 5k is still looking unlikely but i haven't ruled it out entirely yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

F I started having thoughts and wondering if I drew a kick at her what would happen, the pain was that bad :D

Your not the first person to have that thought cross your mind trust me as I have seen the leg gearing up for it a few times with people on my table and I know one of these days someone is gonna let loose :D

Best of luck with the recovery. Best advice I can give you is end of a coke bottle with ice in it to roll along the base of the foot and toe curls on a towel will help and make sure to do the extra stuff the help speed up the recovery process rather than rely just on the work the physio does in the treatment and you will be back on your feet in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Tonight's run takes me over 1,000km for the year. Now I know we're not metrically inclined around here but 6 month ago me would never of imagined such a figure being hit. 95% of that road traveled has been easy running. Very excited to start doing sessions and see where they can take me.

Just when I start to get excited, I woke up today with a stiff, swollen left knee. Will ice and take off until Sunday and see where I am then.

This is one too many niggle (and hopefully that's all it turns out to be) I've had over the past few weeks. Can anyone recommend a good strength programme or class even for running. I've a feeling I'm particularly weak in the hips and glutes which may be the root of all these niggles.

• Advertisement

Just when I start to get excited, I woke up today with a stiff, swollen left knee. Will ice and take off until Sunday and see where I am then.

This is one too many niggle (and hopefully that's all it turns out to be) I've had over the past few weeks. Can anyone recommend a good strength programme or class even for running. I've a feeling I'm particularly weak in the hips and glutes which may be the root of all these niggles.

One that I would highly recommend, though it is slightly expensive (unless you can find a good download ;)) would be the Yoga and X Stretch DVDs from the p90x programme. These are total body strength and flexibility workouts but they really stood to me when I was using them previously (Keep meaning to find the time to go back to them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Did some intervals last night. Nice to inject a bit of "speed" (I use the term very loosely:D) into proceedings for a change.
    Not following Blockic's plan but doing similar sessions myself. 5k pace reps varied from 7:40 to 8:10 so need to be more consistent I think. Forgot how to set the watch up to do intervals so once I sort that the next session should be a bit easier as fiddling with the watch doesn't really help matters!

Anyone any tips for foam rolling calfs? I just can't seem to get a deep enough massage with the foam roller. I put the legs on top of one another to add a bit of weight but it's just not enough. Maybe I could tie some weights to my shins whilst rolling :confused:

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone any tips for foam rolling calfs? I just can't seem to get a deep enough massage with the foam roller. I put the legs on top of one another to add a bit of weight but it's just not enough. Maybe I could tie some weights to my shins whilst rolling :confused:

Rest foot on foam roller just above the achilles with toes pointed down and as you roll up the back of the leg dorsiflex the foot. This may give you a bit more of a stretch (works better if you have a grid rather than the foam rollers mind you)

ecoli wrote: »
    Rest foot on foam roller just above the achilles with toes pointed down and as you roll up the back of the leg dorsiflex the foot. This may give you a bit more of a stretch (works better if you have a grid rather than the foam rollers mind you)

brill, works a treat. Angle of foot is more significant than I thought and starting lower down the leg. Thanks! You should start charging!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Thanks! You should start charging!

Don't worry, he is! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

Thanks Blockic for the programe. I really enjoyed the Fartlek pyramid session last night.

My Max HR hit 200 bpm during the session - little worried I over-cooked the run.

Resting HR 55
    Max HR 190 normally?

Rainrunner wrote: »
    Thanks Blockic for the programe. I really enjoyed the Fartlek pyramid session last night.

My Max HR hit 200 bpm during the session - little worried I over-cooked the run.

Resting HR 55
    Max HR 190 normally?

Great Rainrunner. It sounds like you done the reps a little fast alright, but at least you know now that your Max HR is 200! ;)

I don't run by HR so I would be far from an expert on the matter but I recall seeing 5km pace should be around 90-95% HR. I'm open to correction on this however.

Resting HR 55
    Max HR 190 normally?

I also train with a HR monitor. Just wondering how you got the 190 max hr in the first place? Race/fitness test etc?

Resting HR 55
    Max HR 190 normally?

How did you calculate what you max HR is? Also the reading taken during this session was it from a Garmin or a HR monitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

ecoli wrote: »
    How did you calculate what you max HR is? Also the reading taken during this session was it from a Garmin or a HR monitor?

Thanks guys, I use a garmin with HR strap. I got my max HR from doing a hill session - I think I read it on boards actually.. I ran up the hill at best speed 3 times and on my third uphill sprint I got my HR..

Is this ok or is there a more accurate method?

Advertisement