Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good tattoo shop in Dublin for U18's

Options
  • 01-11-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, I'm 16 in two weeks and want to get a tattoo, my parents have agreed to it and now I'm looking a for a decent tattoo shop that actually do them for minors, my parent/s will obviously be there to make sure everything is fine. I was thinking about getting a tribal tattoo from my bicep to my elbow (kind of like a half sleeve) Anyone have any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Think about hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DeadlyHorizons

Think about hard.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

To be honest most reputable studios wont tattoo a minor I'm afraid! even with parental consent!

I'm sure you've heard it 1001 times so once more wont hurt! think long and hard about what you want to get because once its on you its on you forever! ;) i got my first done when I was 17 and although i dont regret it its not something id get done now 11 years later! my tastes and attitude has completely changed ;)

best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DeadlyHorizons

gregers85 wrote: »
    To be honest most reputable studios wont tattoo a minor I'm afraid! even with parental consent!

I'm sure you've heard it 1001 times so once more wont hurt! think long and hard about what you want to get because once its on you its on you forever! ;) i got my first done when I was 17 and although i dont regret it its not something id get done now 11 years later! my tastes and attitude has completely changed ;)

best of luck :)

Of course, I have thought about it, and it's really what I want. Frustrating that most won't do it though. Are there any in Dublin that do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think any will do it, none reputable that is..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Hey if you can find one that will ink you can you tell me the name??

Not so I can get something but so I can avoid the hole like the plague?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

I know three or four people who got Tattoos while still teenagers. Now in their 20s and 30s they hate the Tattoos they chose then, they have all had other tattoos done since then which they do still like.. I know that had I gotten the tribal shoulder design I wanted when I was a teenager I would hate it now.

Wait a couple of years until you can get a decent artist to do it and spend as much as you can possibly afford on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

There is NO good studio that will tattoo a sixteen year old. If you want a rubbish tattoo, you'll find plenty of bad places to do it, but if you want a properly done tattoo, you'll have to wait til you're eighteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My brother got a tattoo when he was 16, looked great! Then he started growing and, eh yeah, not so amazing looking when he hit his 20s and had lots more skin than when he was 16.

Also, through older eyes, it actually looked completely sh1t when he got it done and we just couldn't see it because we'd never really been around any decent looking ink. You shouldn't get tattooed unless it's going to be glorious and at 16 you probably cannot afford glorious and anyone who can do glorious isn't going to touch you bar to shove you out the door of their shop lest anyone get the wrong impression about their professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

To give you a straight answer OP no, there isn't actually any good studios in Dublin that aren't operating an 18+ rule. And I don't mean that in terms of the ' no good artist would tattoo a sixteen year old' saying, there just quite literally isn't. Very few shops tattoo minors these days and largely because that's the norm, regardless of the quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's been said a dozen times already, but the simple truth is that

NOWHERE

reputable will tattoo someone that is under 18, no matter how much their parents/grandparents/neighbour that everyone trusts/parish priest or anyone insists that it's alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To echo everyone else, nowhere really will do so once you tell them that you're underage

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I was thinking about getting a tribal tattoo from my bicep to my elbow (kind of like a half sleeve)

Oh dear....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

endacl wrote: »
    Oh dear....

Slightly harsh perhaps but you do have a bit of a point. It does sound like the OP might want to be getting a tattoo for getting a tattoos sake.

Your best bet really should be to wait the two years, draw and redraw the design, do as much research on tribal tattoos as possible and save your money for a top notch piece once you hit the 18 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Please for the love of god wait and then wait a bit longer, I know you're sixteen and impatient but it will stand you in the long run.

First of like everyone else has said nowhere decent or no good artist will tattoo a 16 year old so if you do find someone they will be well shiit and leave ya with a shiit tattoo.

Secondly I can be fairly sure you will grow out of the idea tribal most do or have done and have had them covered victim number 1 right here and I waited till I was 18 had wanted a tattoo for years turned 18 boom tribal which I have since had lasered and covered up but mine was only a small piece not a half sleeve.

So basically wait till 18 minimum and in the meantime think, think and think some more about what you would like and research over and over again studios,artists and styles to find the right one for the tattoo you want and get it spot on. Tattoos should not be taken lightly nor should who you get to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i got 2 tattoos when i was 16/17 (one of them tribal) and i'm currently spending a hell of a lot of money getting one removed and i will be doing the same to the other one in time.bad tattoos done by bad artists.take on board everyones advice it will save u a lot of money in the long run should you regret it in 10 years time

what you should do is print out a picture of the design you want and place it on your bedside locker for a year so its the first thing you see when you wake up.if after a year you still like the design then consider getting it inked.if not,well then,we told you so

• Registered Users Posts: 40 blondie990

I know of a 16 year old that got a justin bieber song quote tattooed on her back. Horrifying.

+1 to what everyone else has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

There's places that'll do it. Look around and you'll find them. They'll be the ones you've never seen any really cool tattoos come out of. The ones that don't have thousands of likes on Facebook.

Rush in and get your first tattoo and then when you're almost 21 you can be in my position - deciding between laser and a cover up because you were too stubborn to listen to a bunch of people who know better.

Don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

OP, perhaps show this thread to your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I got tattooed at 17 and im telling you the ****e i had done i wouldnt get done now.Wait and have a good think about what you really want.

• Advertisement

Snip.wrong forum for comments like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Teenage (18) tribal half sleeve master race reporting in. I thought I was the sh!t gettting my tribal half sleeve, very well done by sean in zulu, then nature took its course and my body kept growing and what once was a decent tribal in terms of flow with my body is now a distorted mess with minimal flow. I'd strongly recommend against getting a tribal til your body has stopped developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Wait. For the love of the seven gods of westeros, wait.

I got my first tattoo at 18, it's well done and looks fine but I am now 21 and also contemplating either removing it or covering it.
    Save yourself lots of time and hassle and money and just wait. You'll be happier for it in the long term :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I don't get all the people telling the OP that he'll hate it when he's older. What's to stop a 20 year old getting a tattoo and then hating it when they're 40? :confused:

You can't measure maturity with age. But then I don't really think tastes in tattoos have to do with age. People's tastes change continuously, there's no guarantee that anyone will like any tattoo they get forever.

That being said, I would still wait until you're 18. You want to be safe. There's a scumbag in my town tattooing people for 20 quid, which (according to the town's reputable artist) wouldn't even cover sterilization, nevermind the ink/labour cost. This man has been run out of town before, I'm just waiting for it to happen again. But he's definitely not the only one around, you do not want someone like that sticking a dirty needle in you. If you really have your heart set on the tattoo, waiting 1/2 years won't kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I don't get all the people telling the OP that he'll hate it when he's older. What's to stop a 20 year old getting a tattoo and then hating it when they're 40? :confused:

You can't measure maturity with age. But then I don't really think tastes in tattoos have to do with age. People's tastes change continuously, there's no guarantee that anyone will like any tattoo they get forever.

That being said, I would still wait until you're 18. You want to be safe. There's a scumbag in my town tattooing people for 20 quid, which (according to the town's reputable artist) wouldn't even cover sterilization, nevermind the ink/labour cost. This man has been run out of town before, I'm just waiting for it to happen again. But he's definitely not the only one around, you do not want someone like that sticking a dirty needle in you. If you really have your heart set on the tattoo, waiting 1/2 years won't kill you.

In fairness, there's a huge difference between 16 and 20. Even before 18, most do a LOT of maturing. Especially if it's a tattoo for the sake of one, but that would go for anyone I suppose. I know plenty who regret tattoos from when they were 15/16/17 and others from when they were 20; the difference is the ones who got them at 20 regret them but aren't embarrassed by them like many of the younger ones are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I think everything has already been said. I'll just +1 to say "wait".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

In fairness, there's a huge difference between 16 and 20. Even before 18, most do a LOT of maturing. Especially if it's a tattoo for the sake of one, but that would go for anyone I suppose. I know plenty who regret tattoos from when they were 15/16/17 and others from when they were 20; the difference is the ones who got them at 20 regret them but aren't embarrassed by them like many of the younger ones are.

For a lot of people yeah, but you can't deny that some people mature faster/slower than others. There are going to be 16 year olds mature enough to make this decision and 25 year olds who are not. Having said that, I fully support artists not inking anyone below 18. It protects the people who are not mature enough from future embarrassment like you said, and for the people who are mature enough, they won't find it totally unreasonable to wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

For a lot of people yeah, but you can't deny that some people mature faster/slower than others. There are going to be 16 year olds mature enough to make this decision and 25 year olds who are not. Having said that, I fully support artists not inking anyone below 18. It protects the people who are not mature enough from future embarrassment like you said, and for the people who are mature enough, they won't find it totally unreasonable to wait. :)

You're right, yeah! If a tattoo artist tattoos an immature 16 year old, part of the responsibility is on the artist, but at 18, the person's an adult... it's their own fault if they're immature! :p

Advertisement