Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

US plugs/power supply.

• 01-11-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hey guys so I got a phone from the US and I was wondering about the 2 pronged plugs that come with the phone.
    As shown here: http://bit.ly/1cuGrVD or here http://www.gearlive.com/gallery/image_med/3633/

On the plug it says the input is 100-240V and the output is 5.0v ->2.0A

That should be alright yeah? I mean it supports the EU voltage.. but I'm wondering whether it will fit and work without frying the device.
    It should fit but I'm reluctant to test it out...
    Any ideas? I don't want to buy US to UK/IE adapters unless absolutely necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i think it'll be ok here with fused adapter or change plug to 13amp plug

the input voltage is variable for travel isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

It says it is a travel adapter.. whether it is variable for travel I don't know. I assume so.
    So I can't use it without a fused adapter?

variable input voltage ya

fit a fused adapter or change plug to 13amp

variable input voltage ya

fit a fused adapter or change plug to 13amp

I see. Cool, thanks.

yes i believe

if you have a US plug and flex connecting onto a 100-240v power supply..

couldn't quite make it out from your post

• Advertisement

I found this one on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5-x-3-WAY-MAINS-SOCKET-ADAPTOR-PLUG-FUSED-UK-MAINS-13Amp-3-GANG-EXTENSION-PLUG-/151153638128?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2331757af0

The problem is the fittings aren't circular (I also have a 3 pronged outlet with a circular pin). Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, if the US plug pins are integrated into the charger then you will need a travel adapter designed to be used by a US visitor to Ireland. Otherwise you could consider cutting off the US Plug and connecting the lead to a UK 13 amp plug. Is the power lead separate from the charger? If so, what does the connector that goes into the charger look like - does it have two or three connectors and if three, is it a shamrock shape?

The charger is designed to work worldwide if it says 100-240V so no worries about frying the phone or charger, it will work fine.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, if the US plug pins are integrated into the charger then you will need a travel adapter designed to be used by a US visitor to Ireland. Otherwise you could consider cutting off the US Plug and connecting the lead to a UK 13 amp plug. Is the power lead separate from the charger? If so, what does the connector that goes into the charger look like - does it have two or three connectors and if three, is it a shamrock shape?

The charger is designed to work worldwide if it says 100-240V so no worries about frying the phone or charger, it will work fine.

Thanks, it seems I may have to replace the charger entirely or get a fused adapter.
    I have a 3 pronged charger, the topmost pin is round - not sure if that's what you mean by shamrock shape.

Here: http://bit.ly/1b49AUQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you're posting very confusing photos and not answering direct questions.... Does the charger itself include the power plug pins or does it involve a detachable cable with a plug at one and and a connector at the other end - yes or no?

If the plug (the three pins) and the charger are integrated into one solid unit then just buy a travel adapter for US people visiting in Europe. Buying a new charger will be a lot more expensive.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, you're posting very confusing photos and not answering direct questions.... Does the charger itself include the power plug pins or does it involve a detachable cable with a plug at one and and a connector at the other end - yes or no?

If the plug (the three pins) and the charger are integrated into one solid unit then just buy a travel adapter for US people visiting in Europe. Buying a new charger will be a lot more expensive.

I'm sorry for the lack of clarity. Let's just say I bought a good amount of gadgets, with detachable charger (this is fine), non-detachable with the shamrock pins and a 2 pronged outlet.

From your answer it seems the way to go is to get a fused adapter for the shamrock pins rather than getting a new charger. I will go to an electronics shop and see what they have.

Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
Advertisement