Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Options
  • 01-11-2013 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Thought I'd tap into the communal knowledge hereabouts for a little advice on this one.

Purchased a Sony Xperia Play on 8th Nov 2011 & it behaved itself up and until the 7th Oct 2013.

Gave Sony a call the next day to explain the issues - a mix of it hanging on boot up & the touchscreen being totally unresponsive.

I didn't go the retailer route for the very simple reason that I'd misplaced the receipt & had paid in cash (more on that below). So Sony advised I send it off with proof of purchase to ensure it was within the 2-Year Warranty they offer on Xperia handsets. Though I was far from optimistic, I decided to call into CPW Kilkenny & explained I'd be seeking a repair via Sony as opposed to themselves & bingo - they reprinted my receipt using the IMEI number.

I then posted my handset to Sony's repair agent SBE Ireland (at my expense) & I followed up the repair status with Sony today, only to be told their system shows the phone's been deemed BER - beyond economic repair. I was informed that they'd be waiving the return postage charge and that would essentially be the end of that.

Naturally I let it be known politely but assertively that by no measure could 'tough luck' be considered a reasonable or appropriate resolution. The phone is under 2 years old & still under warranty. Initially I was offered the option of sending it to another repair service for a second opinion (again at my expense). I declined, but suggested if Sony wished to do so I'd be amenable.

I'm to hear back from Sony's 'Escalation Team' within 3 to 5 working days & will update here when I've a little more info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thought I'd tap into the communal knowledge hereabouts for a little advice on this one.

Purchased a Sony Xperia Play on 8th Nov 2011 & it behaved itself up and until the 7th Oct 2013.

Gave Sony a call the next day to explain the issues - a mix of it hanging on boot up & the touchscreen being totally unresponsive.

I didn't go the retailer route for the very simple reason that I'd misplaced the receipt & had paid in cash (more on that below). So Sony advised I send it off with proof of purchase to ensure it was within the 2-Year Warranty they offer on Xperia handsets. Though I was far from optimistic, I decided to call into CPW Kilkenny & explained I'd be seeking a repair via Sony as opposed to themselves & bingo - they reprinted my receipt using the IMEI number.

I then posted my handset to Sony's repair agent SBE Ireland (at my expense) & I followed up the repair status with Sony today, only to be told their system shows the phone's been deemed BER - beyond economic repair. I was informed that they'd be waiving the return postage charge and that would essentially be the end of that.

Naturally I let it be known politely but assertively that by no measure could 'tough luck' be considered a reasonable or appropriate resolution. The phone is under 2 years old & still under warranty. Initially I was offered the option of sending it to another repair service for a second opinion (again at my expense). I declined, but suggested if Sony wished to do so I'd be amenable.

I'm to hear back from Sony's 'Escalation Team' within 3 to 5 working days & will update here when I've a little more info.

Let me guess. Sony use Fonemenders and they say there is moisture damage on the phone.

Exact same thing happening to me with Samsung right now.

Many, many people are being conned out of valid warranties because they are being told their phone is beyond economic repair.

If it is - and its just from general wear and tear - then its not fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

mathie wrote: »
    Let me guess. Sony use Fonemenders and they say there is moisture damage on the phone.

Exact same thing happening to me with Samsung right now.

Many, many people are being conned out of valid warranties because they are being told their phone is beyond economic repair.

If it is - and its just from general wear and tear - then its not fit for purpose.

No it's SBE Ireland & the only reason given according to Sony is 'phone won't turn on - beyond economic repair'. If that's what SBE are saying, I can debunk that tbh, as I was able to get into the home screen when connected to Sony's own software via USB & have video showing same.

I'm wondering now whether I should go back to Carphone Warehouse to have it sorted. I know my contract of sale's with them etc., but I'd initially told them it was Sony I was pursuing a repair with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's probably too late now, as the two years are up. I'd stick with Sony as they received the phone before the warranty had expired.

Either way, if they do repair it, it's only covered for another 90 days or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

Misleading thread title.

chrislad wrote: »
    It's probably too late now, as the two years are up. I'd stick with Sony as they received the phone before the warranty had expired.

Either way, if they do repair it, it's only covered for another 90 days or so.

Two years?

I didn't think SOGA / statutory rights imposed any specific time limit on seeking redress.
    Misleading thread title.

I thought 'Return of the Handset' would've lacked a little oomph tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

What about trademark infringement?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stay on topic please

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP, you bought it from CPW and as you've already assumed that's where your attention should be focussed. In saying that, I can only guess that there's some evidence of user damage and hence the BER conclusion from the repair agent so I would try get some further info from SBE before escalating it e.g. is it liquid damaged, warped board etc.

Thanks theteal, yep I've requested more specific info with regard to the nature of what they've found - I've never had issues with the unit & it's never been dropped or used in rain / humid conditions etc, so I'm a wee bit baffled by their diagnosis tbh.

Advertisement