Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Way Up the Small Sugarloaf?

• 01-11-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭

Hi just wondering whats the best way to hike up the Small Sugarloaf from the Vevay Road? Is there a path up through that Kilruddy Farmhouse and Gardens on the Southern Cross?

Had a go at it last week when someone said the path was behind Woodies DIY but found it a bit impassible to be honest, huge fences like the ones around the industrial estate etc and we gave up when it started pouring.

Im sure theres an easier hiking path somewhere, anyone got any ideas? Google Map links appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The easiest way up is from Bohilla Lane, one of the small roads that leads off the roundabout at the top of the exit ramp when you exit the N11 southbound just past the Topaz station. Drive up there a bit less than 1km and there's a bit of a layby and a pretty easy path up to the summit from there. I seem to recall that if you carry on along the summit ridge there's a place where you can drop down left and back to the road to do a circular route.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/53.1681/-6.1153

The Kilruddery estate is private property so strictly speaking I don't think there are any 'legal' routes through it to the Little Sugarloaf, but I do know of people who have done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I see that path on the satellite view alright, bit of a hike just to get there from where we are on the Vevay though, no car atm. I suppose its not that much of a walk in fairness, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

you're supposed to have a walking pass & gate key from Kilruddery to go up the front way through their lands, but it is an easy enough trek up when you're in there. That way behind woodies is a gap in the fence on to their lands again.

As said other than that the starting point is Kilmacanougue for the back ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've ran every inch of the lands around there, no one ever takes any notice once you're not up to any mischief.
    Access:
    - Bohilla Lane (Kilmac Flyover)
    - Opp Avoca Handweavers beside the Lavender Field
    - Brennanstown stables (top of the Southern Cross)
    - Kilruddery, ideally with an access pass, €10 PA, though access is easy at the side of gate
    - Lower Windgates access via Belmont Woods

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    - Kilruddery, ideally with an access pass, €10 PA

60€ p/a now!!

>:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

60€ p/a now!!

>:/

Yikes - (I've never bought one!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

€70.00 for the grounds and gardens (pass covers four, kids under 12 free). The €10.00 pass was for the grounds only and is now defunct. Apparently a lot of people used to hop the wall or simply help themselves to a free wander/run!

Yeah the 10€ was for the outer grounds just to be clear & was a way to allow locals that had been using the lands for years to continue to do so in a regulated fashion. I think the new 60€ pass might have allowed you into the inner gardens too but i'm not certain.

I would imagine the outcome of the Lissadel case in Sligo today might have some bearing on the land's use going forward. Personally I have been making use of that land since I was a whippersnapper & am a bit sore now that I can't now. I say to myself that I would still just go on anyway but the fact is when I'm choosing where to go with the dog I just end up going in another direction now, up the Head.

I know in the letter asking for the 60€ they said it was all about walker safety etc, but you can't help but think it's alot to do with the movement towards seeking many income streams off the land, it's certainly alot busier up there since they got management in to seek out other avenues, festivals, races, concerts etc...

I am conflicted because i accept these old houses need to find ways to finance the Upkeep of these Stately homes, but as someone who was once able to practically step from my front door into the hayfields, and a general citizen who's always responsibly used it that there should be a way to allow that to continue(for locals) and not to simply see me as another possible revenue stream to be maximised.

As for now I miss going up there & the peaceful beautiful surrounds. The Head is lovely walking too but you are sure to pass at least a half dozen others, there was nothing like the peaceful tranquil feeling up in Kilruddery with barely a soul around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so do you (officially) need a Kilruddery pass for all the routes up the hill? or is there right-of-way access for some of those paths (I know "right of way" is not always clear as seen at Lisadell).

I climbed it years ago from Bohilla Lane, but would like to try from Brennanstown (looks like a nice walk as described here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

loyatemu wrote: »
    (looks like a nice walk as described here)
    Perfect thanks for that, think Ill be waiting for the Spring now though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement