Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI CUP Final Nov 3 RTE2

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Great game. Well done to Sligo, but Drogheda were part of a Super Cup final.

It had everything. Drogs can feel hard done by for Sligo 2nd. Ref made cock up. But was great move for the goal and North did the damage when he came on.

18k was it? Considering the crap day it was also that was pretty good crowd. I'd have said in around 13-15 at start of week.

Crap day? Yea it was cold but it there was barely A wind and bone dry, perfect weather for a match in November, you could t ask for a better day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

lala88 wrote: »
    I wonder where all the so called ''best fans in the world'' were today'? enjoying the Welsh Darby im sure

Why would regular LOI heads go to a game their team isn't involved in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

That was my first taste of Irish domestic football for around 8 years or so.

Excellent match and a great atmosphere, though you have to feel for the two Sligo fans who lit flares after Elding's 'goal' in the 37th minute, only to see it subsequently disallowed.

Drogheda ran their socks off and forced Sligo into some very sloppy passing, but they just didn't have enough in the tank to maintain that sort of intensity for the full 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Great match minus about the first 25 minutes of the 1st Half. Not a great support from Drogs in the Havelock at all. Atmosphere for the majority of the match was poor too, on par with the past 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

carlop wrote: »
    That was my first taste of Irish domestic football for around 8 years or so.

Great to hear new supporters giving Irish Football a chance, it proved itself yet again today as deserving of far more support from the Irish football public than it currently gets.
    The state of the pitch in the Aviva at the Havelock Square end left a bit to be desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pighead wrote: »
    Makes no sense. I'm no lover of the Drogs but karma would have been Sligo beating eleven Anthony Buttimers courtesy of a dodgy reffing decision.

Not really Drogs players fault that Buttimer made a dogs dinner of the semi final.

A team that unfairly progressed through both quarter and semi finals with the aid of bad refereeing decisions becoming victims of one (maybe two although haven't seen replay of disallowed goal) in the final. Of course that's karma.

Two wrongs don't make a right but I had a smug sense of satisfaction with what happened today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

Pighead wrote: »
    Makes no sense. I'm no lover of the Drogs but karma would have been Sligo beating eleven Anthony Buttimers courtesy of a dodgy reffing decision.

Not really Drogs players fault that Buttimer made a dogs dinner of the semi final.
    Hey harps were also raped in the QF by connolly and rodgers!
    happy to see them lose, refs werent their fault but they probably should have lost both & basically got byes both games. didnt deserve it in my eyes. (altho i could have lived with it if it meant no europe for derry :p )
    edit-somehow missed doncarlos reply, same thing

great game tho, i get to the odd sligo game and had been giving out about north too but he was really on form today! sligo fans were brilliant all game, drogs as well when they were at it. cracking atmosphere.

anyone for a gif or 2 of eldings goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Congratulations to Sligo.Great game. Good atmosphere at it aswell. Was slightly surprised with how small the Drogs support was. Drogs were in control for around 35mins of the 1st half but when Sligo took control they looked really dangerous. I was in line with both of the disallowed goals, the decisions for both were correct. The ball was certainly over the line for the Sligo one and it looked like Brennan pushed the defender for the Drogs one. Some ending I felt sorry for the Drogs fans but it was extremely enjoyable. Well worth the tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've been talking to a few neutrals and all of them loved it. Sometimes all you need is a spark to ignite the flame. Hopefully some of them return and catch the bug full time. People are seemingly unaware that this football lark exists week in week out in this country. It's not just a tv show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Crap day? Yea it was cold but it there was barely A wind and bone dry, perfect weather for a match in November, you could t ask for a better day

Agreed. In four finals in five years, it was the best weather we had at a final.

Now as for the weather up and down from Sligo, that was cr@p.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great day. Superb game. Nobody there will ever forget that!

Djilali was my MOTM even after North's heroics. He was fantastic whenever he got on the ball (which wasn't enough IMO). If I had to choose between re-signing Baraclough or Djilali it would be an easy decision for me to be honest. Hopefully Peers' is alright. It didn't look good though.

I uploaded a 19 min clip of the game here so I can watch repeatedly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

That_Guy wrote: »

What? Are they not 'football fans' as well?? Why wouldn't they go the the big day out for the league?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

What? Are they not 'football fans' as well?? Why wouldn't they go the the big day out for the league?:confused:
    It's completely patronising to suggest fans of clubs not involved in the final, who might even dislike either or both teams, should pay for tickets and travel to go to it. Fair enough if you lived in the vicinity and had nothing else to do but for anyone else that's a stupid suggestion.

This is a pretty small country where soccer is the 3rd or 4th sport and the only densely populated area has too many clubs. It's unlikely any club fixture would ever sell out the Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Couldn't have asked for more from the Drogs lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Awesome game, well done Sligo. We had a great day out, our annual trip up to the Aviva for the cup final has not disappointed us yet.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Great game but disappointing result. Really felt extra time would of been fairer but that's football. Anyway great going out to support Irish teams instead of sitting on the couch watching 2 Welsh teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just see this on twitter - Philly Hand's Runner Up medal has an embarraassing typo ...

BYO06bnIEAAC0Lw.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Philman3/status/397360108239601664
    I thought silgo rovers were very good 😂😂😂😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/VGIxK2XRoR

Not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Joseph N'do donated his winners medal to be auctioned for the Gary O'Neill fund.
    Well done Joey!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

red sean wrote: »
    Joseph N'do donated his winners medal to be auctioned for the Gary O'Neill fund.
    Well done Joey!

Donated 3 medals

BYOnqPCCYAAi1Ns.jpg
    3 medals generously donated by the inspirational Joe N'do to be auctioned for the Gary O'Neill fund #legend pic.twitter.com/HDQrgZdCb4

Some man

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

All the medals, winners and runners up, spell Sligo as Silgo. What a ****ing jokeshop of an organisation. Surely they'd check something like that before accepting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

SantryRed wrote: »
    All the medals, winners and runners up, spell Sligo as Silgo. What a ****ing jokeshop of an organisation. Surely they'd check something like that before accepting it?

So now we can add not being able to read onto the FAIs list of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

What a way to win it. Perfect day.

Joseph is an absolute legend. We'll never see the likes of him again. Give us one more year please.

For those asking I haven't changed my opinion on North. Hes the best striker in the league when hes fit but I don't think hes ever going to bother getting fit again. Some impact coming off the bench though..

SantryRed wrote: »
    Would we not be better off just changing the name of the town?

We are Rovers, Silgo Rovers

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Joseph is an absolute legend. We'll never see the likes of him again. Give us one more year please.

If he retires now, I'll be gutted. There should be statues of him everywhere. Children and schools should be named in his honour. A legend like no other.

Yeats county?? N'do County.

Oat23 wrote: »
    If he retires now, I'll be gutted. There should be statues of him everywhere. Children and schools should be named in his honour. A legend like no other.

Yeats was nothing but a gay poet. Joseph is king.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Donated 3 medals

BYOnqPCCYAAi1Ns.jpg

Some man

What medals are they?

godtabh wrote: »
    What medals are they?

L-R World Cup 02 participation medal. African Nations Cup 2002 (winners medal I think, maybe participation medal). Last is an FAI Cup winners medal. Either yesterdays or the one from the Shams final as he gave the one from the Shels final to a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Did i not hear/read he was going on to coaching?

:confused:

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Did i not hear/read he was going on to coaching?

:confused:

It's a shame there will be no mayor position anymore because he would have been perfect for that.

I hope he will be player/coach next season. As long as he stays with us I am happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Thats what I was expecting when the PFAI tweeted they'd be releasing a statement with him to the press. He'll definitely be a miss to the league when he does hang up his boots. Magician with a football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yesterday when North was coming on for Cretaro, I said to my mate that was a mistake as he's a bit tubby and has missed a lot of the season, well, how wrong I was.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

You could easily see N'do was the most technically gifted player on the field there yesterday, his legs are gone though (having said that, not easy being the fulcrum of a 3 man midfield as he was yesterday).

Ndo one of the most gifted players ever to have played in our League, technically outstanding, supremely fit and a nice guy. Watched the goals again on MNS, incredible quality under the pressure of a Cup Final. Deserved a full house rather than just 18,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

L-R World Cup 02 participation medal. African Nations Cup 2002 (winners medal I think, maybe participation medal). Last is an FAI Cup winners medal. Either yesterdays or the one from the Shams final as he gave the one from the Shels final to a fan.

It is a winner's medal. Fair play to him, the ones with his national team must mean an awful lot to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

cson wrote: »
    You could easily see N'do was the most technically gifted player on the field there yesterday, his legs are gone though (having said that, not easy being the fulcrum of a 3 man midfield as he was yesterday).

Apart from a moment of genius I actually thought he was very poor yesterday. Lost the ball a few times when there was simple passes on including a 3 on 1 breakaway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Would Man United fans go to a Man City game in the Champions League if one of their teams got knocked out? No. I'd rather go to the AVIVA if Bohs were involved, ten euro or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Would Man United fans go to a Man City game in the Champions League if one of their teams got knocked out? No. I'd rather go to the AVIVA if Bohs were involved, ten euro or not.

That's your prerogative. I went and had a great time!

Why should we always copy what they do in England.
    Depends how much you love the game more than hate other clubs.

If all League of Ireland fans went to the FAI Cup Final and filled the Aviva it would enhance the image of the whole League and add to the occasion, a sports event with 50,000 would attract far more media coverage.
    Great value at €10 (well done FAI for a change) lets hope next years Final attracts more than 18,000. Pity so few were in for the womens final, good game of football with great goals, well done to Raheny United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,064 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

N'do a legend, would be a shame if he packs it in (although admittedly he does appear to be getting a lot slower this season). Always a pleasure watching him play.

I think he should come up to the Brandywell and do his final season there!

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    N'do a legend, would be a shame if he packs it in (although admittedly he does appear to be getting a lot slower this season). Always a pleasure watching him play.

I think he should come up to the Brandywell and do his final season there!
    We got ye into Europe, don't be greedy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sometimes there's personal enjoyment, seeing Pats lose to Derry last year in the flesh was beautiful to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

for a tenner, of course they would.

Are you actually mad ? No football fan would turn down a champions league ticket for a tenner.

Advertisement