Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[GEAR] Foam roller

Options
  • 01-11-2013 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

I just used a foam roller for the first time this week, it seemed like a very useful tool. What would people recommend to purchase? I used a long smooth foam cylinder, but is a textured one more useful? How often should they be used weekly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'll post a pic later if I can but I use the piping that's used to hold UPC cables on sites - green with ridges. Cheap as chips and can be got in a builders providers. It's better than most rollers I've tried and a lot cheaper too. :D

I try to roll 4 times a week minimum for 20mins at a time when I'm training. I do it while watching TV.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have one like this
    TRIGPG-BK-1.jpg
    and it is much better than the previous foam roller I had, which was the regular type.
    I borrowed one of these once too
    111-The-Stick1.jpg
    and found it great to use when sitting watching tv and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'll post a pic later if I can but I use the piping that's used to hold UPC cables on sites - green with ridges. Cheap as chips and can be got in a builders providers. It's better than most rollers I've tried and a lot cheaper too. :D

I try to roll 4 times a week minimum for 20mins at a time when I'm training. I do it while watching TV.

Thats just pure masochism!! ^
    Oryx wrote: »
    I have one like this
    TRIGPG-BK-1.jpg
    and it is much better than the previous foam roller I had, which was the regular type.
    I borrowed one of these once too
    111-The-Stick1.jpg
    and found it great to use when sitting watching tv and stuff.

The Grid is brilliant. Expensive at €50 odd but works a treat and is indestructible. I've one for the past 3 years use it regularly, the structure doesn't break down and I've left the kids using the cheap foam ones for playing gladiators :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I've the grid too and I find it to be great.

Others say a piece of wavin is just as effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Grid FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Thats just pure masochism!! ^

i have a piece of 4" wavin pipe .. works grand..i had a cheap foam roller and after while i got used to it and it was too soft to be any use

for those that want the grid ive seen them in tk maxx at 40 quid ..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

+1 on the grid, as was said it's not the cheapest but have one for over a year now and with regular use it still seems like new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 krowan008

i use the grid foam roller and find it good! i also use a pressure point ball to focus on specific points!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Finnymurph

Trigger points Grid is the kiddie, you can even throw it in the gym bag when going.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Try get a long one if you can. Physio told me these are better as lie on your back on it and get support from your head down to hips. Roll out your shoulders etc.

Not great for the gym bag though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A Tiger tail - like the Stick, but not a steaming pile of cr@p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

These are what I use

278769.JPG

I've had the regular foam rollers and they're crap. I wasn't impressed with the grid when I used it. I also had a quadballer but find the piping easier to use and just as effective.

pgibbo wrote: »
    These are what I use

I've had the regular foam rollers and they're crap. I wasn't impressed with the grid when I used it. I also had a quadballer but find the piping easier to use and just as effective.

Likewise didn't like regular foam rollers, they get useless too soon.

Didn't find the grid got in like I wanted.

Found the quad baller agony.

Found a high density foam roller in a physio shop in Dublin, excellent and lasts. (I can get one for you and send it west if you want).

The Tiger tail is good for getting muscles you cannot get with a foam roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I use a sissel one, good and hard, keeps its shape unlike the cheaper versions.

I try to use it 4/5 times a week 10-15 mins. It lives in front of the TV to remind me.

Got it in physio needs - http://physioneeds.biz/ProductDetail.aspx/Pilates_Roller_Pro_6%22_x_36%22_by_SISSEL%C2%AE/9810.00a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I use a piece of pipe and a rolling pin (baking) #oldschool #cheapaschips

I use a piece of pipe and a rolling pin (baking) #oldschool #cheapaschips

There is a time for hard and a time for soft.

Sometimes you need soft and forgiving if the muscles are hopping or you will make a bad situation worse! Sometimes hard and harsh is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

tunney wrote: »
    Found the quad baller agony.

Got one of these a few months ago... while its a bit like torture, it's incredible for tight calves and quads; nothing else I tried did half as good a job, especially for calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

Does anyone use any videos on youtube they would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i have a foam rolling e-book,
    self myofascial release, by mike robertson
    its fairly in depth, if anyone wants a copy pm me,

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

Try PhysioNeeds.ie

Just got my foam roller - like the grid one (pic of black roller) and it was €39.99

Worth every cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

terencemc wrote: »
    Does anyone use any videos on youtube they would recommend?

Trigger Point have a YouTube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

NewWheels wrote: »
    Try PhysioNeeds.ie

Just got my foam roller - like the grid one (pic of black roller) and it was €39.99

Worth every cent

Just curiousity here, is it a Trigger Point Grid roller or is it one that looks very similiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

Just curiousity here, is it a Trigger Point Grid roller or is it one that looks very similiar?

Link to the one I got - they do have others:

http://www.physioneeds.biz/ProductDetail.aspx/The_Tank_Roller/Tank%60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Advertisement