Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adjournment not Agreed but other side said it was

• 01-11-2013 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I attended a case progression hearing yesterday. The other side were not present.

The other side requested on the morning of the hearing from me to agree to an adjournment. I clearly stated in 3 emails that I did not agree.

However the other side emailed the country registrar's office requesting an adjournment as it was agreed to by both side. Clearly it was not

When I attended , the country registrar went home for the day becasue of this and now I have to wait another 3 months for another hearing.

How can the other side state this, and how can a court accept that this is the truth without confirming it with me.

Who do I compalin to about this and what reprecusions are there for such behaviour.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This would be a very unusual turn of events if it is what really happened. Do you have legal representation?

If you do not, it would be a good idea to engage a solicitor to help you. If you do, they should be able to talk you through the processes.

It would be an alarming scenario if a legal professional were to state to the court that there was agreement where there was not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Forward on your 3 emails to the County Reg with a covering letter explaining that you did not agree to an adjournment at any stage i.e after the last email was sent and request a special sitting of the County Reg to hear the case progression given the unusual circumstances. (maybe the county reg will and maybe they won't but nothing ventured nothing gained).The County Reg will certainly view this very seriously and it could be viewed as lying to the Court.They may decide to take it further and get the DPP/State Solicitor involved and at the very least will give the other side a serious bollocking.

You should also send a similar letter to the Law Society and lodge a complaint if there was a solicitor on the other side.They will take it very seriously.

Miscommunication and mistakes do happen with these hearings and people make allowances for it but it does sound like it was deliberate in your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

jonsnow wrote: »
    You should also send a similar letter to the Law Society and lodge a complaint if there was a solicitor on the other side.They will take it very seriously.
    No they won't. A complaint to the Law Society can only be made by a solicitors client. See HERE.
    Complaints the Society may Investigate
    The Society may investigate complaints against solicitors made by or on behalf of clients (including beneficiaries)
    A complaint will have to be made to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Representing to the court that a hearing can be adjourned on consent when that is not the case is a very serious matter. If that is what happened here the Solicitor in question can expect to incur the full wrath of the County Registrar or indeed the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal.

The OP should speak to a Solicitor if they have not already done so.

Advertisement