Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening a bank account with bad credit history

Options
  • 01-11-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I have poor credit history due to a failed business over 3 years ago. I was a costumer with bank of Ireland but they closed my account. After tryng other banks I got an account opened with Danske bank.
    I see today that these are now closing.

I really need basic banking facilities. I am not looking for any loans or overdrafts just somewhere to deposit money and pay bills.

Is there any bank in Ireland where I can now open an account?
    Has anyone experience of this.

I am desperate and under pressure and I really need a bank account..

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ulster Bank do a basic bank account with a debit card but no credit facilities.

It was introduced for people who need an account for basic transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

PTSB have no charges subject to certain criteria. I think a certain amount needs to be lodged each month.

They organise a switch buddy for you as well who looks after changing your direct debits for example from old to new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 galwaykev

I tried ulster bank but they have refused me..

I am waiting on a call back from PTSB. But will they check my credit history?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

galwaykev wrote: »
    I tried ulster bank but they have refused me..

For a basic account :eek:? That's very strange as those are intended for people who e.g. are unemployed etc.

Are you near a credit union? They offer current accounts that you can receive wages etc into, and do direct debits etc also?

You could also try ptsb, or kbc bank. I know someone who had a very poor credit history and was unemployed, and they got an account fine with ptsb

Best of luck :) Sounds a horrible situation to be in.

• Advertisement

I never even knew they check credit history for current accounts as underwriting is done at each stage when you get a credit facility. For example a credit card or bank overdraft.

Tbh I don't know exactly but PTSB seem to be mad for customers so your chances are higher. Also if doing a credit check there might be a limit on how many years they can go back. You also have a current account now so that is a big plus.

Rabo could be option also - it's all online which I find handy but some people prefer the face to face interaction.

PS best of luck and let us know how you get on.

I never even knew they check credit history for current accounts as underwriting is done at each stage when you get a credit facility. For example a credit card or bank overdraft.

Tbh I don't know exactly but PTSB seem to be mad for customers so your chances are higher. Also if doing a credit check there might be a limit on how many years they can go back. You also have a current account now so that is a big plus.

Rabo could be option also - it's all online which I find handy but some people prefer the face to face interaction.

They'll go back five years on credit history if they check.
    I'm just thinking of when I last opened a bank account which was a joint account with my OH a few years ago (about three) did it with UlsterBank one Sat. morning, and they did take the paperwork away and do some checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

What reason do they give for bringing your credit history into it when you're not looking for credit, just trying to open an account?

Thanks for the reply s.
    I opened my account with danske about 2-3 years ago and it was very straight forward. I hope PTSB or KBC will be the same.

Is anyone found themselves in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have a terrible credit history, Ulster Bank refused me too, PTSB gave me an account. No credit facilities at all obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://www.ebs.ie/daily-banking/ebs-moneymanager-account-a-debit-card.html

- I would try EBS first and then PTSB - even if you don't keep €500 min balance with EBS you will only pay for the transactions you actually do - EBS have no maintenance fee. You could do the same €1,500 with EBS but you dont have too and you'll still save.

Forget about Ulster,AIB and KBC. Be careful and EBS totally free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Why do you need a credit check for a bank account without credit facilities? I call shennagins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Delta2113 wrote: »
    http://www.ebs.ie/daily-banking/ebs-moneymanager-account-a-debit-card.html

- I would try EBS first and then PTSB - even if you don't keep €500 min balance with EBS you will only pay for the transactions you actually do - EBS have no maintenance fee. You could do the same €1,500 with EBS but you dont have too and you'll still save.

Forget about Ulster,AIB and KBC. Be careful and EBS totally free.

With PTSB charging € per month is you dont lodge 1500 per month, you'd only get 11 transactions with EBS before you top €4.

Thanks for the advise all.

Got accounts opened with EBS and PTSB.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Glad to hear you got sorted , isn't it ironic that these banksters who were all bankrupt and had to get bailed out are the ones who turned you down!

Advertisement